Ref told Newton "you're not old enough" to get late hit call

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Cam Newton doesn't understand why the Saints weren't called for a personal foul on a potential late hit during the Panthers' 27-22 win Sunday. And he really doesn't understand the explanation he got from official Ed Hochuli after the play.

"The response I got was: 'Cam you're not old enough to get that call.' . . . I didn't think you had to have seniority to get a personal foul or anything like that," Newton said in his post-game press conference.

Newton added that he was "ticked off" at the explanation. He went on to say that everyone has to be accountable, and pointed out that a personal foul on a similar play was called in favor of Saints quarterback Luke McCown earlier in the game.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-g ... -foul-call

They didn't actually show the hit during the broadcast, so we will have to wait for the All-22 to get an angle.

This was the only angle of the play during the broadcast . . .
PossibleAdmirableFruitbat.gif

Here is Cam getting upset at the explanation:
HollowSpanishArabianhorse

The comment doesn't concern me too much, as it seems obvious Hochuli did not agree with the penalty and attempted a bad joke. Of course, it will be viewed as controversial, as the league is perceived by some to protect its aging, mostly white QBs more than its younger, athletic, black QBs.

What seems more concerning was the league's response: "Officials make decisions based upon the play on the field, and no other factors," NFL spokesman Michael Signora said in a statement. "On the play in question, there is no roughing the passer because the quarterback is out of the pocket and a runner, and no unnecessary roughness because the contact is not late."

Roughing the passer is not the issue, obviously, but did the referee make the comment in question? That is not addressed.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3n31amz4 said:
Cam Newton doesn't understand why the Saints weren't called for a personal foul on a potential late hit during the Panthers' 27-22 win Sunday. And he really doesn't understand the explanation he got from official Ed Hochuli after the play.

"The response I got was: 'Cam you're not old enough to get that call.' . . . I didn't think you had to have seniority to get a personal foul or anything like that," Newton said in his post-game press conference.

Newton added that he was "ticked off" at the explanation. He went on to say that everyone has to be accountable, and pointed out that a personal foul on a similar play was called in favor of Saints quarterback Luke McCown earlier in the game.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-g ... -foul-call

They didn't actually show the hit during the broadcast, so we will have to wait for the All-22 to get an angle.

This was the only angle of the play during the broadcast . . .
PossibleAdmirableFruitbat.gif

You can see that Newton releases the ball and the DE Tyeler Davison is still three or four steps away from him at that point in time.

Here is Cam getting upset at the explanation:
HollowSpanishArabianhorse

The comment doesn't concern me too much, as it seems obvious Hochuli did not agree with the penalty and attempted a bad joke. Of course, it will be viewed as controversial, as the league is perceived by some to protect its aging, mostly white QBs more than its younger, athletic, black QBs.

What seems more concerning was the league's response: "Officials make decisions based upon the play on the field, and no other factors," NFL spokesman Michael Signora said in a statement. "On the play in question, there is no roughing the passer because the quarterback is out of the pocket and a runner, and no unnecessary roughness because the contact is not late."

Roughing the passer is not the issue, obviously, but the contact does appear to come sometime after the release of the ball. Did the referee make the comment in question? That is not addressed.

I didn't see the game, but that first gif doesn't look to even show the release of the ball. It looks like a pump fake that faked out the cameraman.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Seanhawk":ev1bc5n2 said:
I didn't see the game, but that first gif doesn't look to even show the release of the ball. It looks like a pump fake that faked out the cameraman.

Oh, you're right. Not even the release of the ball was shown. I have noticed some weird camera angles this season on Fox broadcasts.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Pieria was just on Cowherd and said Hochuli told Newton 'you don't get that call cuz you're a runner', not 'because you're younger'. As much as it pains me to agree with Baghdad Mike, I do here. Hochuli is one of the best and has been for a long time and his integrity has never been questioned.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Even if Hoch said it, so what? TBH the only person who comes off poorly in this IMO is Cam for going to the media with it.

I don't care if Hoch said it, and I don't even care if Hoch said it and meant it.

Lithium

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2eil5be6 said:
Even if Hoch said it, so what? TBH the only person who comes off poorly in this IMO is Cam for going to the media with it.

I don't care if Hoch said it, and I don't even care if Hoch said it and meant it.

Well you may not care but I do.

Rules are rules, no one should get any special treatment on a football field, I commend Cam for bringing it up if that's actually what Ed said. Aint right.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2k2mxep1 said:
Pieria was just on Cowherd and said Hochuli told Newton 'you don't get that call cuz you're a runner', not 'because you're younger'. As much as it pains me to agree with Baghdad Mike, I do here. Hochuli is one of the best and has been for a long time and his integrity has never been questioned.

Pereira is a known liar. It does not make sense that Newton would mishear "runner" and "younger." It also does not make sense that Newton would lie about what was said.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hawknation2015":34j5xbs9 said:
hawksfansinceday1":34j5xbs9 said:

Pereira is a known liar. It does not make sense that Newton would mishear "runner" and "younger." It also does not make sense that Newton would lie about what was said.
I agree with your first sentence. After that, I do not.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
The league protects its investments. (Which is why Brady is still playing and still a HOF lock.)
And the NFL clearly does not consider Newton part of the club. Runner or not, he still cannot be hit late; it's a personal foul behind the line or down field.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Lithium":311ecuew said:
Popeyejones":311ecuew said:

Rules are rules, no one should get any special treatment on a football field, I commend Cam for bringing it up if that's actually what Ed said. Aint right.

Well, sure, but it's going to happen in every sport and every walk of life no matter how much we disapprove of it.

IMO, even if it exists in the NFL, it's NOWHERE near as bad as it is in the NBA, where it actually degrades the quality of the game

If old QBs get an extra hair of an inch in being protected it just doesn't bother me, like, say, in the NBA where it's just generally accepted that what a foul is, what traveling is, what a hand check is, etc. depends on the player.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2wl93hll said:
Lithium":2wl93hll said:
Popeyejones":2wl93hll said:

Well, sure, but it's going to happen in every sport and every walk of life no matter how much we disapprove of it.

IMO, even if it exists in the NFL, it's NOWHERE near as bad as it is in the NBA, where it actually degrades the quality of the game

If old QBs get an extra hair of an inch in being protected it just doesn't bother me, like, say, in the NBA where it's just generally accepted that what a foul is, what traveling is, what a hand check is, etc. depends on the player.

Why does it bother you that Newton discussed the comment publicly?

Smellyman

Reaction score
Well RW gets beat up quite a bit even if in pocket, where it would seem Manning, Brady and Rodgers would always get the call.

I think it was just the ref joking around, but hopefully it forces refs to give RW the same treatment.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2015":93d9urmt said:
Popeyejones":93d9urmt said:
TBH the only person who comes off poorly in this IMO is Cam for going to the media with it.

It doesn't bother me, nor did I say it does.

Cam comes off poorly because he ran off to the media complaining about nonsense.

Even if Hock said it (which is debatable, on the tape he seems to be saying what he claimed he said), it's the type of field banter that 99,999 out of 10,000 is left on the field.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":30gem4g2 said:
hawknation2015":30gem4g2 said:
Popeyejones":30gem4g2 said:
TBH the only person who comes off poorly in this IMO is Cam for going to the media with it.

It doesn't bother me, nor did I say it does.

Cam comes off poorly because he ran off to the media complaining about nonsense.

Even if Hock said it (which is debatable, on the tape he seems to be saying what he claimed he said), it's the type of field banter that 99,999 out of 10,000 is left on the field.

LOL

CPHawk

Reaction score
Ed H is a NFL great a legend. Cam is a A1 douche bag and cry baby. I'll take Eds word for it.

Another thing I found funny while watching the game yesterday, the Saints WR signaled first down, when he got it. And the Panthers D got all and at him, and pushed him. I guess they only think it's cool when Newton does it.

253hawk

Reaction score
If you're gonna flop like a soccer player, you don't deserve that call to begin with.

Offsides2

Msfann

Reaction score
CPHawk":2ct2xv41 said:
Ed H is a NFL great a legend. Cam is a A1 douche bag and cry baby. I'll take Eds word for it.

I agree with this, my guess is Cam heard him wrong and then cried to the media.

If anything Cam made sure that he wont be getting the superstar QB calls ever now.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Whining about what a ref said on the field won't get you anything, except possible no-calls in the future. As many have said, that kind of talking stays on the field.