Patrick Peterson

ringless

Reaction score
I have been extremely hard on the guy in previous posts because I have felt he has not played up to his contract. And that's true. He hasn't. We are only two weeks into the season, but I often have to remind myself he is asked to do much more than most CB's in the league.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/status/643801669789061120[/tweet]

Last week he faced Drew Brees and had to defend Brandin Cooks one on one and allowed 1 Catch for 29yds and zero Td's.

This week he allowed 1 catch for 8yds in garbage time and got 1 interception.

Two games into the season he has done everything asked of him. Of course he will get burned but so far he is finally earning his keep.

canfan

Reaction score
Always had the physical skills. I always thought his biggest problem was not understanding that in a league filled with physical freaks, you have to work at developing your gifts in order to be truly successful. There have been times it has been obvious that he has not spent much time in the film room and counted on his natural abilities to cover up his lack of preparation. If he has finally learned how to be a professional, I expect his play on the field will start to reflect his potential. Maybe he is becoming what the pundits have been calling him for years.....one of the top corners in the league. A scary proposition!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Can't help but wonder how much the revelation about his diabetes in 2014 impacted his play, because he's too good to get beat the way he did.

rideaducati

Reaction score
If he wasn't a physical freak that wows people with his speed and quickness, people might actually look at his stats and start to ignore him like all players with his stats. Overrated.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ringless":kfo534u2 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/status/643801669789061120[/tweet]

Yep.

The operative thing being that it looks like even pre-snap the Cards had already rotated their safeties over.

I never claimed he's the best CB in the NFL, but he gets less protection than anyone.

One of the reasons the Cards defense is able to be so dynamic (exotic blitzes, clogging up lanes with their three safety look) is because they can get away with just throwing Peterson to the wolves over and over again. He had a down year last year, that not debatable, but I still think you have to look at it in that context.

Basically. even if Peterson has a "bad" day from a stats perspective if it's surrounded by a good defensive performance, Peterson deserves some credit. He's really the only CB in the NFL you can say that about, IMO.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I'm not sure your screen grab shows what you think. The entire offense less one receiver/TE flowed heavy to the left, including the RB. Peterson is covering one man on the right.

Not to mention the man he is covering has him beat badly on a slant flowing back inside.

Not slamming him, or you. Just pointing out what I see in the screen grab.

I am one that believes he relies to much on natural talent like was pointed out above. If he changes that then he might be capable of becoming the guy the NFL has told he is since being drafted.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1qw6sdb9 said:
Not to mention the man he is covering has him beat badly on a slant flowing back inside.

Not slamming him, or you. Just pointing out what I see in the screen grab.

:lol: :lol:

You should try actually watching the play.

It's 1-10 from the 42 with 29 seconds left in the first quarter.

The Cardinals drop down the SS to the strong side up in the box when they line up, and right at the snap they have the FS running back toward the middle of the field away from Peterson (looks like a super aggressive cover 1 shell; not too atypical for the Cards).

It's a one step and throw designed route to Cooks, the design for which is to take advantage of the Cardinals' leaving Peterson alone on an island to cover the full route tree on his side of the field. Powers and Mathieu (on the strong side ) barely even react after the snap because they already know it's an isolation slant to Cooks on the other side.

If that's having someone beat, I'd hate to see what good coverage is. Brees has to hitch and wait because Peterson has Cooks blanketed. Brees then basically throws the ball away because there's no hole to throw into (hard to tell if Peterson still gets a hand on the ball -- he might have -- but Cooks definitely doesn't).

This play is actually a really good example of what the Cardinals do with Peterson, and how other teams try to attack Peterson to take advantage of what the Cardinals do with him. In this case for the Saints it doesn't work. Sometimes it does work, because there's not a single CB in the history of the NFL who can regularly be put in this alignment and coverage scheme and not get beat sometimes.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
rideaducati":wumqosll said:
If he wasn't a physical freak that wows people with his speed and quickness, people might actually look at his stats and start to ignore him like all players with his stats. Overrated.

Sherman's been beat more than PP21 this year, is Sherman overrated?

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2t7a3fp7 said:
rideaducati":2t7a3fp7 said:

Sherman has only been TESTED when the opposing QB has a free play because Bennett jumped offsides. No offside penalty, and Rodgers doesn't even throw that direction. I don't give a damn who you think is overrated. One is proven, one is hyped, decide on your own.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
rideaducati":1ls6xaxt said:
Hasselbeck":1ls6xaxt said:
rideaducati":1ls6xaxt said:

Sherman has only been TESTED when the opposing QB has a free play because Bennett jumped offsides. No offside penalty, and Rodgers doesn't even throw that direction. I don't give a damn who you think is overrated. One is proven, one is hyped, decide on your own.

Yes Sherman is better than Peterson. But does it give Sherman the right to not perform or do his job just because it's a free play? Whats the difference? What if it wasn't a free play and Rodgers threw the same ball with the same result? Whats the difference?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
rideaducati":xl70uw2m said:
Hasselbeck":xl70uw2m said:
rideaducati":xl70uw2m said:

One had a bad year that coincided with him having Type 2 Diabetes, and if you don't think that wouldn't impact performance.. especially if you had no idea you were diabetic.. you're crazy.

And oh ok, I guess offsides removes the fact Sherman got beat, then committed a terrible PI call.. a week after getting away with one that should have been called and getting beat by STEDMAN BAILEY to set up a FG in OT for the Rams.

I love Sherman too, but if Peterson does those things.. guaranteed you're blasting him for it.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1uo0xpcd said:
rideaducati":1uo0xpcd said:
Hasselbeck":1uo0xpcd said:
rideaducati":1uo0xpcd said:

One had a bad year that coincided with him having Type 2 Diabetes, and if you don't think that wouldn't impact performance.. especially if you had no idea you were diabetic.. you're crazy.

And oh ok, I guess offsides removes the fact Sherman got beat, then committed a terrible PI call.. a week after getting away with one that should have been called and getting beat by STEDMAN BAILEY to set up a FG in OT for the Rams.

I love Sherman too, but if Peterson does those things.. guaranteed you're blasting him for it.

Your guarantee wouldn't be guaranteed. For one, I don't really pay attention to what Peterson does in a single game, so I wouldn't waste my time blasting him for one bad game. Second, I don't really care that he has a built in excuse for his sub-par play. He is an NFL player and NFL players either produce or they don't, good excuse or not. Peterson seems to have a lot of people giving excuses for his performances.

I wasn't excusing Sherman's performance, I was just pointing out the obvious. No corner is perfect. No team wins every game. There is no excuse for Sherman getting burned, but it stands out because it doesn't happen often. People don't mention when Peterson gets burned, because it happens quite a bit. When I point that out, the excuses flow.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
3 Games in, and only 3 Catches allowed so far and zero touchdowns, with one interception.

So far he is on pace to have the best season of his career thus far. Thats pretty hard to do at any level.

Drew Brees/ Brandin Cooks
No idea who he was against with the Bears
Kap/ Torrey Smith

Hopefully he can keep it up. One of the biggest knocks against him has been consistency. 3 Games is not enough, but I hope he can be the player he was suppose to be as opposed to the player he pretended to be.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Well, don't get too heartbroken if he doesn't Ringless, because look at the teams you're talking about here: A Niner team that's KAPut. #1 draft pick coming their way. Chicago....

Chicago. Okay, I take that back SF, you get the #2 pick.

A Saints team in disarray. They lost by remarkably similar scores to TB and Carolina.

Arizona looks good, don't get me wrong. This could be their year to take the division. But Peterson hasn't been tested yet, so it's too soon to get hyped if I were you, IMO.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1641q18v said:
Well, don't get too heartbroken if he doesn't Ringless, because look at the teams you're talking about here: A Niner team that's KAPut. #1 draft pick coming their way. Chicago....

Chicago. Okay, I take that back SF, you get the #2 pick.

A Saints team in disarray. They lost by remarkably similar scores to TB and Carolina.

Arizona looks good, don't get me wrong. This could be their year to take the division. But Peterson hasn't been tested yet, so it's too soon to get hyped if I were you, IMO.

There is a lot of truth in that. I know the second he has a bad game and it only takes one it will immediately erase all of the good work thats been done.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
Pro Football Focus
‏@PFF
Patrick Peterson has yet to give up 100 receiving yards...TOTAL. Has allowed just 85 through 4 games. #Shutdown

Zero touchdowns as well.

So far he has kept his word this season. Of course like any CB he will eventually get beat. But this is the first time he's played up to his contract. Calvin Johnson up next.

I am one person who never thought PP was any good. But he seems to really be committed for once

rideaducati

Reaction score
ringless":1tnyqtkn said:
Pro Football Focus
‏@PFF
Patrick Peterson has yet to give up 100 receiving yards...TOTAL. Has allowed just 85 through 4 games. #Shutdown

Zero touchdowns as well.

So far he has kept his word this season. Of course like any CB he will eventually get beat. But this is the first time he's played up to his contract. Calvin Johnson up next.

I am one person who never thought PP was any good. But he seems to really be committed for once

Impressive... It's not often a cornerback could face such staunch opponents in a four game stretch and still have great stats like that. :17:

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
Teams are staying away from Peterson more this season than they have his first four. He’s been thrown at 18 times through the first five games -- six of which came Sunday in Detroit -- according to Pro Football Focus, the fewest of his career by 10. He’s allowed just 133 passing yards in four five, the sixth best in the NFL this season for cornerbacks who have played at least 60 percent of his team’s defensive snaps. He had allowed 85 yards in his first four games -- an average of 21.25 per game -- before giving up 48 in Detroit on Sunday. He has given up zero touchdowns and two interceptions with 3 passes defensed.

“That’s crazy,” Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu said. “That’s crazy. He covers the best receiver on every team and every team has a pretty good receiver.

And thats without safety help most of the time. He held Megatron in check.

I think he is going to have some difficulty this week with Antonio Brown's speed. And the fact he's the best WR i the game right now. But no matter who you are it's hard to guard the #1 on any team as they are all excellent athletes.

5 Weeks in and I think he is having the best year of his career. I think he realized that he needed to stay focused every game all game and has finally committed to that.

ClutchDJ

Reaction score
ringless":3sr3up1b said:
Teams are staying away from Peterson more this season than they have his first four. He’s been thrown at 18 times through the first five games -- six of which came Sunday in Detroit -- according to Pro Football Focus, the fewest of his career by 10. He’s allowed just 133 passing yards in four five, the sixth best in the NFL this season for cornerbacks who have played at least 60 percent of his team’s defensive snaps. He had allowed 85 yards in his first four games -- an average of 21.25 per game -- before giving up 48 in Detroit on Sunday. He has given up zero touchdowns and one interception with 3 passes defensed.

“That’s crazy,” Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu said. “That’s crazy. He covers the best receiver on every team and every team has a pretty good receiver.

And thats without safety help most of the time. He held Megatron in check.

I think he is going to have some difficulty this week with Antonio Brown's speed. And the fact he's the best WR i the game right now. But no matter who you are it's hard to guard the #1 on any team as they are all excellent athletes.

5 Weeks in and I think he is having the best year of his career. I think he realized that he needed to stay focused every game all game and has finally committed to that.
I was thinking the same until Ben got hurt. Vick himself has been shutting down AB.