Holmgren, he sorta sucks at things that aren't coaching...

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Just saw this tweeted by Ian Rappaport on NFL.com:

With the release of Phil Taylor, the Browns now have no one left from their Julio Jones trade haul (Taylor, Little, Marecic, Weeden)

And the thing is, they traded down because they like liked Brandon Weeden. 30 year old rookie, Brandon Weeden. :pukeface:

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Trrrroy":1c1vh3il said:
Just saw this tweeted by Ian Rappaport on NFL.com:

With the release of Phil Taylor, the Browns now have no one left from their Julio Jones trade haul (Taylor, Little, Marecic, Weeden)

And the thing is, they traded down because they like liked Brandon Weeden. 30 year old rookie, Brandon Weeden. :pukeface:

It's not like the Seahawk fanbase didn't see his colossal failure at running a team coming. Even Ruskell was better, and he's been cut down to a lowly scouting position.

Still will always love me some Walrus though. We didn't win it all but we came close and after the nightmare 1990s he deserves a little love in a Hawk fan's heart.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Although Jones is a good player, I don't think the trade has been successful for Atlanta either. They have become a hell of a lot weaker in the last couple of seasons and really could have used a few of those draft picks.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Hawkspur":12re1pz0 said:
Although Jones is a good player, I don't think the trade has been successful for Atlanta either. They have become a hell of a lot weaker in the last couple of seasons and really could have used a few of those draft picks.

Jones gave them one more shot at a Super Bowl in 2012, but then the lack of talent from the loss of picks caught up with them.

Rob12

Reaction score
Hawkspur":3ppqafe0 said:

We may be saying the same thing about Tyler Lockett.

But we won't, because he's awesome. Julio Jones is easily one of the most talented receivers in the NFL, and I think it was an awesome deal for the Falcons.

kearly

Reaction score
People have to remember that draft day deals like these aren't about trading players for players, but about trading picks. It was a great trade for both teams. For Cleveland, it was the kind of trade down scenario you dream of. Sometimes picks don't work out. Taylor was a very nice DT prospect. Weeden was dumb though.

Julio Jones is one of the elite WRs in the game. His career is just getting started, but if he retired tomorrow he'd probably have added more value to his team than the typical careers you would get out of the picks Atlanta gave up. Most teams are not like Seattle and struggle to add impact players after the 1st wave of talent runs off in the late-middle part of the first round, and Atlanta's two firsts they gave up were both late 1sts. Atlanta basically gave up a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier talents to get a guy who might be in the HoF when it's over. And given how bad Atlanta's coaches were at developing non-elite talents, it made sense for them to give up five half court shots in exchange for a layup.

Atlanta's real problem is that they became too finesse, and part of that was from Mike Smith's inability to inspire or command respect. Dimitroff struck me as an average drafting GM who was betrayed by a lousy coaching staff that couldn't develop anybody. It wouldn't shock me at all if they bounce back very quickly with Dan Quinn.

Holmgren built a nice defense in Cleveland, but made some awful decisions on offense. I think his biggest mistake was not bringing in a veteran to play QB, with guys like Matt Hasselbeck, Tarvaris Jackson, Matt Cassel, and Alex Smith hitting UFA during his tenure. Holmgren also passed on Ryan Tannehill, Brock Osweiler, Nick Foles, and Russell Wilson in the 2012 draft.

NINEster

Reaction score
Bill Walsh passed on Tom Brady, and drafted Giovanni Carmazzi.

Nobody's perfect.

Holmgren should be remembered (much like Mike Shanahan) for having a GREAT offensive mind.

The two best 49er offensive super bowl juggernaut offenses came at the hands of these two. They both did nicely in Green Bay and Denver respectively. Holmgren did well in Seattle despite not having the type of offensive talent he had in Green Bay.

zifnab32

Reaction score
Rob12":1tnsswud said:
Hawkspur":1tnsswud said:

We may be saying the same thing about Tyler Lockett.

But we won't, because he's awesome. Julio Jones is easily one of the most talented receivers in the NFL, and I think it was an awesome deal for the Falcons.

We didn't give up anywhere close to what Atlanta did.

They gave up a 2011 and 2012 first round pick, a 2011 second round pick and 2011 and 2012 fourth round picks. They only had 6 picks in both 2011 AND 2012 due to that trade.
We gave up a 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th. We still drafted 8 players.