I still can't believe no one signed Tarvaris Jackson!

ivotuk

Reaction score
I love this man! I have so much respect for him, what he's had to put up with, and how he just goes out there and plays.

But he's better than some of the starters in this league, and imho, better than any backup except for Garapolo who I've been a big fan of since (very) late in his college career.

Tarvaris has a 60% completion percentage, 6.8 YP completion and a 39/35 TD/INT ratio. He's not the best, but if you have a great team that is totally dependent on at least a decent QB (AZ), he could win a playoff spot for you, and even win a game or two.

I think this stuff comes from lazy GMs who have a 5 or 6 year old impression of who TJack is, and they don't research him thoroughly. He's been replaced sure, but it's my humble opinion that the only 2 legitimate QBs to take his job were both Superbowl winning QBs (Favre and Wilson).

I'm going to laugh my ass off at Arians when the 35 year old Carson Palmer goes down (again). For one reason or another, Carson Palmer has only started 16 games in 6 of the 11 seasons that he has played (I don't count his rookie year).

And the New York Jets & Buffalo Bills (although I doubt TJack would go back to the Bills for less than starting money). But look at their starting QBs.

Hello Jacksonville and Atlanta, these guys know what a great guy TJack is, why didn't they sign him?

I don't know what the reason is, maybe it's just me being a Seahawk/Tarvaris Jackson fan overvaluing him, but I don't think that's it. I believe it's something stupid and the reason why some teams are perennial basement dwellers! Haha! Suckers!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3jdgs67y said:
Isn't he still with the Hawks?????
Or am I reading your post wrong?

I kind of read it in how they all had the chance and nobody took the opportunity to sign him.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
ivotuk":2haas8o2 said:
I love this man! I have so much respect for him, what he's had to put up with, and how he just goes out there and plays.

But he's better than some of the starters in this league, and imho, better than any backup except for Garapolo who I've been a big fan of since (very) late in his college career.

Tarvaris has a 60% completion percentage, 6.8 YP completion and a 39/35 TD/INT ratio. He's not the best, but if you have a great team that is totally dependent on at least a decent QB (AZ), he could win a playoff spot for you, and even win a game or two.

I think this stuff comes from lazy GMs who have a 5 or 6 year old impression of who TJack is, and they don't research him thoroughly. He's been replaced sure, but it's my humble opinion that the only 2 legitimate QBs to take his job were both Superbowl winning QBs (Favre and Wilson).

I'm going to laugh my ass off at Arians when the 35 year old Carson Palmer goes down (again). For one reason or another, Carson Palmer has only started 16 games in 6 of the 11 seasons that he has played (I don't count his rookie year).

And the New York Jets & Buffalo Bills (although I doubt TJack would go back to the Bills for less than starting money). But look at their starting QBs.

Hello Jacksonville and Atlanta, these guys know what a great guy TJack is, why didn't they sign him?

I don't know what the reason is, maybe it's just me being a Seahawk/Tarvaris Jackson fan overvaluing him, but I don't think that's it. I believe it's something stupid and the reason why some teams are perennial basement dwellers! Haha! Suckers!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
The answer is simply because Tarvaris Jackson is not a very good QB. The guy is incredibly overrated on this forum, I assure you nobody will be crying over not signing Tarvaris Jackson. Do you not remember how frustrated everyone was watching him start?

The thing about Jackson and the Seahawks, is this is the system he has been in for his WHOLE NFL career. It is not known how well he can transition to another team. In fact he looked very underwhelming during the Bills practices, and drills, and was ultimately a third stringer, and then cut.

The main problem with Jackson is he is not good at handling pressure, and his internal clock moves at the speed of a glacier. Jackson the most hesitant QB that I have seen since Charlie Fry. He's mobile, but he second guesses himself when he could get good yardage on the ground. When we needed him the most, he faltered -- the Seahawks should have been much better than 7-9 in 2011. His 4th quarter, and third down prowess is severely lacking.

Your definition of insanity quote could apply to Jackson himself. He has been given many chances during his 10 year career. In each of those opportunities he has failed to deliver (except for 2008) , and this mind you is him playing in the same system. What happens when he needs to pick up a new offense? Why not go with a younger player that has potential, rather than a known quantity that is unappealing? There is a very good reason why the football minds are steering clear of Tarvaris Jackson.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1miasw1h said:
ivotuk":1miasw1h said:

The answer is simply because Tarvaris Jackson is not a very good QB. The guy is incredibly overrated on this forum, I assure you nobody will be crying over not signing Tarvaris Jackson. Do you not remember how frustrated everyone was watching him start?

The thing about Jackson and the Seahawks, is this is the system he has been in for his WHOLE NFL career. It is not known how well he can transition to another team. In fact he looked very underwhelming during the Bills practices, and drills, and was ultimately a third stringer, and then cut.

The main problem with Jackson is he is not good at handling pressure, and his internal clock moves at the speed of a glacier. Jackson the most hesitant QB that I have seen since Charlie Fry. He's mobile, but he second guesses himself when he could get good yardage on the ground. When we needed him the most, he faltered -- the Seahawks should have been much better than 7-9 in 2011. His 4th quarter, and third down prowess is severely lacking.

Your definition of insanity quote could apply to Jackson himself. He has been given many chances during his 10 year career. In each of those opportunities he has failed to deliver (except for 2008) , and this mind you is him playing in the same system. What happens when he needs to pick up a new offense? Why not go with a younger player that has potential, rather than a known quantity that is unappealing? There is a very good reason why the football minds are steering clear of Tarvaris Jackson.

Third string in Buffalo? He was signed before the season and four different QBs started that year and Tarvaris was NOT one of them...wouldn't that be fifth string?

Barakas

Reaction score
:thfight7: Screw Jackson.....

"Akers' 39-yard field goal with 2:57 left proved to be the game-winner -- but it was Grant who was the game-clincher. As the Seahawks (7-8) tried to drive for the winning score, Grant's tackle of quarterback Tarvaris Jackson from behind jarred the ball loose and it was recovered by Donte Whitner at the San Francisco 36 with 1:07 remaining."

it was December 24th, 2011 and the Seahawks were driving down the field for a game winning field goal. Then the above happened. I had to go to xmas eve service right after that loss with the wife and in-laws and everyone in the church was wearing red. I wanted to punch every single one of them that night.

All Jackson had to do was protect the freaking ball but noooooooooo, he gets caught from behind and the 49ers punch it out, game over.

The only thing Jackson is good for is calling the coin toss in OT. At least he does that right.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
All I will say is that I think we can agree that Tarvaris with a torn-pec is about 10 times the quarterback that Charlie Whitehurst is, and Whitehurst continues to make millions in this league as a primary back-up. I think we got a bargain.

TJack haters gonna hate.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kidhawk":3ad3xzk7 said:
Sports Hernia":3ad3xzk7 said:
Isn't he still with the Hawks?????
Or am I reading your post wrong?

I kind of read it in how they all had the chance and nobody took the opportunity to sign him.
Ahhhh, :oops: got it. Thanks.

rideaducati

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3dw50h4l said:
All I will say is that I think we can agree that Tarvaris with a torn-pec is about 10 times the quarterback that Charlie Whitehurst is, and Whitehurst continues to make millions in this league as a primary back-up. I think we got a bargain.

TJack haters gonna hate.

Whitehurst would be MUCH better than Tarvaris if he had as many years in a system as Tarvaris has had. In Tennessee last season and in a system he is familiar with, Whitehurst looked better than I have ever seen Tarvaris look, with or without a torn pec. So, I guess I would NOT agree that Tarvaris is ten times better than Whitehurst. In fact, I think Whitehurst is better than Tarvaris.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
Wasn't there a game that was on the line and TJack threw the ball away on a 4th down?? I'm sure I'm not remembering it correctly.

Anyway, he is a good backup and that is about it at this point.

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2ni3owui said:

TJack haters gonna hate.

Well said.

HansGruber

Reaction score
I hate Tjack for ruining my Christmas. All he had to do was get a first down. But no, he had to go and ruin a holiday. Bastard.

peppersjap

Reaction score
rideaducati":1a1nc7c2 said:
DavidSeven":1a1nc7c2 said:

TJack haters gonna hate.

Whitehurst would be MUCH better than Tarvaris if he had as many years in a system as Tarvaris has had. In Tennessee last season and in a system he is familiar with, Whitehurst looked better than I have ever seen Tarvaris look, with or without a torn pec. So, I guess I would NOT agree that Tarvaris is ten times better than Whitehurst. In fact, I think Whitehurst is better than Tarvaris.
Jackson has actually been a semi productive QB in the league, Whitehurst has been nothing more than terrible. It is very hard to believe that he still earns a paycheck. Charlie Whitehurst is probably the worst QB I have ever seen play the game!

kobebryant

Reaction score
I like CBJ and Tjack, that game when they combined to somehow win @ NYG is a great memory.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
HansGruber":2k6hl4lx said:
I hate Tjack for ruining my Christmas. All he had to do was get a first down. But no, he had to go and ruin a holiday. Bastard.

If you let that ruin your holiday then it might be time for some introspection.

hawk45

Reaction score
rideaducati":9di1lekb said:
DavidSeven":9di1lekb said:

TJack haters gonna hate.

I hated Tjack as "the answer" but he looked like a guy capable of going .500 at least if called on, which makes him a guy I love as a backup. Whitehurst did not, playing for us, not even a little bit. Tjack played well enough to start for years, he's not the guy who wins in the post-season, but his resume dwarfs Whitehurst's.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's his price tag.

I'm sure lots of teams have contacted him to be their backup, but if he's standing firm on wanting to make 1.25M a year like he did last year then teams might be balking at that.

I'm sure he'll sign, but it might be a last minute signing after a QB gets injured............or even later in the season.

Latest posts