Marcus Lattimore was shocked the 49ers drafted him.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
"I mean, why would you take a running back with two horrible knee injuries?" Lattimore said, wondering about his own fourth-round draft slot in 2013. “I did pretty good, I played good in college, but if I’m a GM I don’t think I would do it."

LMAO.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^It makes more sense if you consider the context, which is provided in the actual article:

Trent Baalke considered Marcus from a distance. Like representatives from most teams, the 49ers GM met with him at that year’s combine, but San Francisco was not one of the clubs that flew Marcus into their facilities for a more thorough evaluation. What the 49ers had, however, were the assets to afford a gamble.

Holding 13 picks over the draft’s seven rounds, Baalke knew he had room to experiment. There was little chance each new player would make San Francisco’s roster, anyway, so the GM earmarked three or four picks for redshirting — selections to be used on players that would sit out the entire upcoming season under the promise of future payoff. A once-dynamic running back from South Carolina was worth taking a chance on.

As able-bodied backs flew off the board, Marcus watched as the millions in guaranteed money he would have earned as a top pick sailed away. Mercifully, shortly before selection No. 131 in the fourth round was announced, Marcus’s phone rang as he dined in an Atlanta restaurant.

It was the 49ers. The pick was a relief to everyone, even ESPN’s television commentators, who erupted with “There he is!” as if Marcus was the very selection many were waiting on. Baalke knew right away the road that lay ahead. “The odds were not in our favor, or at best they were 50/50,” he says now of Marcus’ chances to turn a profit in the NFL. But the GM leaned on what he had uncovered about Marcus’ character and disposition in researching the prospect, about his work ethic, about how his commitment to the game was always accompanied by a smile. “If anyone was going to get back,” he says, “it was going to be a young man like that.”

Marcus agreed to a modest contract with the 49ers, with just more than $300,000 guaranteed to him.

FWIW I always had my doubts about Lattimore being able to make it back (Marvin did too, fwiw), but never disagreed (and will never disagree) with the end of the 4th and 5th rounds being right around where you want to be for high risk/high reward gambles. He made the same high risk/reward gamble with Aaron Lynch ten picks farther back last year, and did the exact same thing at the very end of the 4th with DeAndre Smelter this year. It's a good strategy at a good place in the draft for that strategy, and you're not expecting to hit on it all or even most of the time.

EDIT: Also worth saying that it's this same logic which makes me hate the Arik Armstead pick, as he's a high risk/high reward gamble too. I don't like the strategy of making those in the first three rounds, TBH.

rlkats

Reaction score
He just need to stfu. He was paid well. Got the best docs money can buy to make his gimpy ass walk normal. He should just be happy and shut up.

Basis4day

Reaction score
rlkats":vk0s8oy0 said:
He just need to stfu. He was paid well. Got the best docs money can buy to make his gimpy ass walk normal. He should just be happy and shut up.

What did he do to you?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Basis4day":27gaww2h said:
rlkats":27gaww2h said:

What did he do to you?

He said every day playing for the 49ers was like "hell." With all the recent early retirements, it seems he was not the only one to feel that way.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1eg54orl said:
Basis4day":1eg54orl said:
rlkats":1eg54orl said:

What did he do to you?

He said every day playing for the 49ers was like "hell." With all the recent early retirements, it seems he was not the only one to feel that way.

Oh jeez. The BS from you never stops.

He was referring to the pain.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I just read the full article. The excerpted version linked in the original post doesn't make either the 49ers or Lattimore sound good. The actual, full article is different and a much better read.

The "hell" he went through was due to the injury and his own struggle to deal with it and what it meant to him and his future. It had very little to do with the 49er organization.

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2015/7 ... e-featuref

rideaducati

Reaction score
Just one of MANY wasted draft picks by Baalke. Shocker. Why would Baalke pick someone like Denard Robinson or Zac Stacy when he could pick a guy that was really good before blowing out both knees? It's not like the niners could use players in place of the injured players he has drafted over the past few years that are no longer there anyway...right?

Marvin49

Reaction score
sc85sis":qw94jts7 said:
I just read the full article. The excerpted version linked in the original post doesn't make either the 49ers or Lattimore sound good. The actual, full article is different and a much better read.

The "hell" he went through was due to the injury and his own struggle to deal with it and what it meant to him and his future. It had very little to do with the 49er organization.

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2015/7 ... e-featuref

Exactly.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":szv6tgw6 said:
Just one of MANY wasted draft picks by Baalke. Shocker. Why would Baalke pick someone like Denard Robinson or Zac Stacy when he could pick a guy that was really good before blowing out both knees? It's not like the niners could use players in place of the injured players he has drafted over the past few years that are no longer there anyway...right?

We'll get to see THIS YEAR how good all those players will be.

Carradine, Dial, Reaser, Thomas, Ramsey, Millard...they'll all get a shot this year

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":n68uor6f said:
rideaducati":n68uor6f said:

Carradine, Dial, Reaser, Thomas, Ramsey, Millard...they'll all get a shot this year

Care to make a friendly wager as to how they perform?

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":cf1qy6u0 said:
Marvin49":cf1qy6u0 said:
rideaducati":cf1qy6u0 said:

Care to make a friendly wager as to how they perform?

Nah...and not because I don't think they'll be any good. I don't want to wager because it'll just become another argument over what the definition of "good" is.

For the record...like anything else...I think a few will be a good and a few won't. No idea which will be which.

rlkats

Reaction score
Basis4day":2mheeacz said:
rlkats":2mheeacz said:

What did he do to you?

Nothing nothing at all. At the end of the day just say im very thankful to the organization for taking a risk on me and helping me heal and have a chance in the NFL. Not all the media drooling blank loaded drama that it is insinuating.

It did not work for him to damaged im happy he is better. But man enough with giving the media more drama.

rlkats

Reaction score
Marvin49":3mjtvmw9 said:
hawknation2015":3mjtvmw9 said:
Basis4day":3mjtvmw9 said:
rlkats":3mjtvmw9 said:

What did he do to you?

Who you speaking to Marvin

Marvin49

Reaction score
rlkats":3ooo0qz2 said:
Marvin49":3ooo0qz2 said:
hawknation2015":3ooo0qz2 said:
Basis4day":3ooo0qz2 said:
What did he do to you?

hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Marvin49":2nylr1cp said:
rlkats":2nylr1cp said:
Marvin49":2nylr1cp said:
hawknation2015":2nylr1cp said:

hawknation2015

Whittle Marvin can't take a joke. :stirthepot:

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1z7wuuxp said:
Marvin49":1z7wuuxp said:
rlkats":1z7wuuxp said:
Marvin49":1z7wuuxp said:

hawknation2015

Whittle Marvin can't take a joke. :stirthepot:

I can take a joke just fine. I just prefer they be funny or at least somewhat original.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2h5uwzgs said:
Baalke is a terrible talent evaluator

True, but that's independent of the Lattimore pick. He was estimated as a first round talent before he completely shredded his knee. An ACL tear would have been minor by comparison.

[youtube]7LHhL2e61JE[/youtube]

Baalke's mistake in this case wasn't necessarily talent evaluation, as we'll never know how good Lattimore could have been. Baalke's mistake was not vetting Lattimore's desire to play football well enough.

Latest posts