Colts raise AFC Finalist banner.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Didn't the Hawks or Mariners raise a Wild Card banner once? I seem to remember one of those teams taking some heat over raising a Wild Car banner back in the day.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":23597vfs said:
Didn't the Hawks or Mariners raise a Wild Card banner once? I seem to remember one of those teams taking some heat over raising a Wild Car banner back in the day.

Yeah, but the Colts have won multiple championships. They should have more pride than this. The Mariners haven't won jack.

lsheldon

Reaction score
USA Today Sports is jumping on the bandwagon now. They have some pretty funny stuff to say about it.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the ... FB#image=3

“2014 AFC Finalist.” The words just roll off the tongue. What does it even mean? That you almost made it to a point where you almost could have been the runner-up? It’s like getting a special graduation sash that honors you for finishing in the 65th percentile of your class.

AFC finalists. That’s not even the way people refer to it! No one calls the loser of a conference champion a “finalist.” Maybe runner-up, but even that’s too much. You’re just the team that didn’t make the Super Bowl. I mean, it’s sort like being the loser of the NBA Finals having a banner next year that reads “NBA 2015, SECOND PLACE.” What’s wrong with AFC South champions. At least’s that something you’ve accomplished.

This whole thing would be sad enough, but the Colts have actually won a title in Indianapolis — remember, it was 2006, the year Peyton Manning didn’t collapse like a game of Jenga in the playoffs! These trivial banners are fine when you don’t have a real banner in the rafters, but the Colts do and all this “finalist” thing does is take away from the earned banner. (By the way, there are “finalists” banners for the other times Indy lost in the AFC championship too. Celebrate mediocrity!

There the banners stand, screaming “we almost did it!” to fans. It’s like the signage in an elementary school gym.

CHLHJudW4AATyLD

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
If you guys haven't picked up on it this is an obvious dig at the patriots, the colts FO/Owner is saying "Hey we lost to a cheating team and should have been in the superbowl, but we can't say it publicly so lets hang this asterisk in our stadium so people remember."

It's kind of funny actually.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":1j50w9dz said:
If you guys haven't picked up on it this is an obvious dig at the patriots, the colts FO/Owner is saying "Hey we lost to a cheating team and should have been in the superbowl, but we can't say it publicly so lets hang this asterisk in our stadium so people remember."

That explanation doesn't make sense when you consider that they did the same thing in 1995 and 2003.

CHLHJudW4AATyLD

In 1995, the Colts finished 2nd in the AFC East (hence no Division Champions banner) and lost in the AFC Championship Game to the Steelers. Jim Harbaugh threw up a last second hail mary that was dropped in the end zone.

In 2003, Colts again lost the conference championship, this time to the Patriots.

I wonder if they lost in the Super Bowl whether they put up a separate "Super Bowl Finalist" banner. The whole idea is pretty ridiculous when you think about it. It sounds more like commemorating a loss than celebrating having made it to the conference championship game.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3t9ug9pv said:

Sounds like a Mariner thing to do, they've always been a joke.

Colts are a joke for this as well.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Throwdown":38w5tpw2 said:
Sgt. Largent":38w5tpw2 said:

Sounds like a Mariner thing to do, they've always been a joke.

Colts are a joke for this as well.

I couldn't find anything on the Google machine about the M's raising a Wildcard banner, but I did find out that the Rays did it.

DSCN3050

I don't care if a team's never won a pennant, division, conference...........whatever. Doing something like this is about as bush league as it gets. Colts fans should be rioting in the streets.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":31si3v9j said:
TheRealDTM":31si3v9j said:

That explanation doesn't make sense when you consider that they did the same thing in 1995 and 2003.

CHLHJudW4AATyLD

In 1995, the Colts finished 2nd in the AFC East (hence no Division Champions banner) and lost in the AFC Championship Game to the Steelers. Jim Harbaugh threw up a last second hail mary that was dropped in the end zone.

In 2003, Colts again lost the conference championship, this time to the Patriots.

I wonder if they lost in the Super Bowl whether they put up a separate "Super Bowl Finalist" banner. The whole idea is pretty ridiculous when you think about it. It sounds more like commemorating a loss than celebrating having made it to the conference championship game.
Funny you bring up that hail mary play..To this day many believe that was caught.To bad there was not HD TV to really see what happened .Oh well..I agree Finalist banner is silly.

Maulbert

Reaction score
IndyHawk":26ic62et said:
hawknation2015":26ic62et said:
TheRealDTM":26ic62et said:

CHLHJudW4AATyLD

Funny you bring up that hail mary play..To this day many believe that was caught.To bad there was not HD TV to really see what happened .Oh well..I agree Finalist banner is silly.

Gotta be honest... I seems pretty obvious to me that it hit the ground.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/indianapo.../Top-5-Hail-Mary-Plays-1995-Colts-vs-Steelers

hawknation2015

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2d67uvla said:
hawknation2015":2d67uvla said:
TheRealDTM":2d67uvla said:

CHLHJudW4AATyLD

It was close but I thought it definitely bounced off the turf:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0a ... -Hail-Mary

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
hawknation2015":kwus42gd said:
TheRealDTM":kwus42gd said:

CHLHJudW4AATyLD

Yes, they did. Though I think every team (or at least some) drops a Conference Championship banner if they lose in a super bowl.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
BlackandGolden":2897g445 said:
hawknation2015":2897g445 said:
TheRealDTM":2897g445 said:

CHLHJudW4AATyLD

Yes, they did. Though I think every team (or at least some) drops a Conference Championship banner if they lose in a super bowl.

difference is, they still WON their conference, that is something.. it does not say Superbowl Finalist.....