Cary Williams: Chip's system didn't work

hawknation2015

Reaction score
"We was talking about the fact that our conditioning and things like was going to kick in because we worked harder than everybody in the National Football League with the Chip Kelly thing," he told 710 ESPN in Seattle. "We got out there, we got our teeth kicked in. So all that conditioning didn't necessarily work.

"Preparation wasn't necessarily the greatest neither that week. When you're going up against teams that prepare well, practice well, coach well, it's difficult in games like that. I think towards the end of the year we were exhausted and we got outcoached the majority of the games."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... didnt-work

Let's refresh our recollection on what happened last year when Kelly's offense faced the No. 1 defense in the world:

Time of Possession: 41:56 Seahawks vs.18:04 Eagles
Total Yards: 440 yds vs. 139 yds
Rushing yards: 188 yds vs. 57 yds
Ouch, domination.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3b3ziug4 said:
"We was talking about the fact that our conditioning and things like was going to kick in because we worked harder than everybody in the National Football League with the Chip Kelly thing," he told 710 ESPN in Seattle. "We got out there, we got our teeth kicked in. So all that conditioning didn't necessarily work.

"Preparation wasn't necessarily the greatest neither that week. When you're going up against teams that prepare well, practice well, coach well, it's difficult in games like that. I think towards the end of the year we were exhausted and we got outcoached the majority of the games."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... didnt-work

Let's refresh our recollection on what happened last year when Kelly's offense faced the No. 1 defense in the world:

Time of Possession: 41:56 Seahawks vs.18:04 Eagles
Total Yards: 440 yds vs. 139 yds
Rushing yards: 188 yds vs. 57 yds
Ouch, domination.
But they have Bradford, he's a perfect fit for their offense right? Then again Tebow is lurking about....no damn wonder my coworker who's a Cowboy fan is full of confidence and sugar and vinagar.

Those Cowboy fans are the worst trust me. They never accept defeat or reality it seems. I want our fan base to at least understand why they are like that and do enough to be the same.via division championships. That way we'll be on easy street to everyone hating Russell Wilson.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":237quxa2 said:
But they have Bradford, he's a perfect fit for their offense right? Then again Tebow is lurking about....

I'm very interested to see how Bradford performs in their system, in addition to their fleet of talented running backs running behind one of the best offensive lines in the league. Kelly does have a magic ability to coax massive production out of offensive skill players. On paper, Bradford (if healthy) would be an upgrade over Foles because of his superior touch under pressure. But that's only if he is healthy and stays that way. Otherwise, they will probably be watching Mark Sanchez again.

The biggest problem -- the one I think Williams is speaking to -- is the systematic disadvantage Kelly creates for his defenses. The tempo they play on offense does not lend itself toward giving his defense a lot of time to rest, and in the past, Kelly has said he does not care at all about time of possession. I think we have seen the consequences of that apathy in the form of his defense's struggle to recover over the last two seasons, especially as Williams says, when they face a team like the Seahawks that executes well.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2dt2clnf said:
MizzouHawkGal":2dt2clnf said:
But they have Bradford, he's a perfect fit for their offense right? Then again Tebow is lurking about....

I'm very interested to see how Bradford performs in their system, in addition to their fleet of talented running backs running behind one of the best offensive lines in the league. Kelly does have a magic ability to coax massive production out of offensive skill players. On paper, Bradford (if healthy) would be an upgrade over Foles because of his superior touch under pressure. But that's only if he is healthy and stays that way. Otherwise, they will probably be watching Mark Sanchez again.

The biggest problem -- the one I think Williams is speaking to -- is the systematic disadvantage Kelly creates for his defenses. The tempo they play on offense does not lend itself toward giving his defense a lot of time to rest, and in the past, Kelly has said he does not care at all about time of possession. I think we have seen the consequences of that apathy in the form of his defense's struggle to recover over the last two seasons, especially as Williams says, when they face a team like the Seahawks that executes well.
We've seen Bradford and he'll go down when it's important. He's flat fragile. I'm more interested if Chip can work with Tebow long-term.

Defense? He's got no clue and that's why he will be gone from the NFL very soon. Harbaugh is a far better coach but with for worse interpersonal skills. So I figure it's nearly even.

sutz

Reaction score
College systems never translate directly to the NFL. In the NFL you are playing what amounts to a to 5 team (using college ratings) every week. Plus add in the longer season, including pre-season, and you have the reason behind the rookie wall. College kids are thinking season's almost over, let's go study for finals, when the pros are just getting warmed up.

In college you can often get away with one dimensional teams. Not in the NFL.

ringless

Reaction score
I agree strongly on the college game vs NFL. Another key difference is roster size. The roster size in college has no limits if I remember correctly. As compared to 53 a lot more can go wrong. The season is longer, less players.... His system is too taxing on a defense for the long haul. I couldn't see the team having the ability to go 20 games deep.

sc85sis

Reaction score
There are limits on scholarship players (85 total in a given year, and 25 new recruits each year), but I'm not certain whether total roster size including walk-on players is limited. Of course, most walk-ons are walking on for a reason, so more may not do much for you unless you are just riddled with injuries and need bodies.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1iag7z21 said:
We've seen Bradford and he'll go down when it's important. He's flat fragile. I'm more interested if Chip can work with Tebow long-term.

Defense? He's got no clue and that's why he will be gone from the NFL very soon. Harbaugh is a far better coach but with for worse interpersonal skills. So I figure it's nearly even.

Tebow won't make the team first of all.

Defensively they made improvements last year, and I expect that to continue to improve. I think a big reason why they hit the wall last year was their offense started sputtering and with how quick tempo it is, that leaves your defense on the field for a long time if you're not putting together 12 play drives every time.

This season though by adding Murray and Matthews, I think Chip is going to try to establish a much more balanced offense to alleviate TOP and prevent his defense from hitting that wall.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":571lujql said:
MizzouHawkGal":571lujql said:

Tebow won't make the team first of all.

Defensively they made improvements last year, and I expect that to continue to improve. I think a big reason why they hit the wall last year was their offense started sputtering and with how quick tempo it is, that leaves your defense on the field for a long time if you're not putting together 12 play drives every time.

This season though by adding Murray and Matthews, I think Chip is going to try to establish a much more balanced offense to alleviate TOP and prevent his defense from hitting that wall.

I didn't see a lot of improvement on defense from them. They went from allowing 23.9 points per game in 2013 to 25.0 points per game in 2014. They made some slight improvement in yards allowed per game -- 29th in the league to 28th -- but I don't think they were a significantly improved defense. I think a lot of that can be attributed to Kelly's stubborn offensive scheme. In both years, they have been ranked last in the league in time of possession.

And in those years, they had one of the most talented run-blocking offensive lines in the league, as well as one of the league's most dynamic running backs, and yet those things haven't served to alleviate their TOP problem.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3fqqf1v6 said:

Yep, there's a reason Chip got Bradford, dumped east and west runner McCoy in favor of downhill more punishing runner Murray.

We like to tease Kelly, and he's easy to tease sometimes. But he's also one of the smartest coaches in the league, he knows his scheme crapped the bed going down the stretch last year, so I fully expect the Eagle's too look like a much more traditional offense in 2015...........pound the rock with Murray.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Cary Williams does not come off as the brightest guy in his interviews.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":olksasrn said:
Hasselbeck":olksasrn said:

Yep, there's a reason Chip got Bradford, dumped east and west runner McCoy in favor of downhill more punishing runner Murray.

We like to tease Kelly, and he's easy to tease sometimes. But he's also one of the smartest coaches in the league, he knows his scheme crapped the bed going down the stretch last year, so I fully expect the Eagle's too look like a much more traditional offense in 2015...........pound the rock with Murray.
As long as they beat Jerruh's kids is all I care about! :th2thumbs:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I don't like players making public these sour grapes. Reeks of malcontent.