Whatcha know about Shaq Thompson Pac-12 fans?

aawolf

Reaction score
I follow the Panthers as my second favorite team, being an NC native. That said, I immediately thought "reach" when I saw the Panthers select Shaq Thompson with pick number 25. Since he's a Washington player, I thought you all might have some thoughts. Here is what I want to know---can he transition to Safety and become anything like Kam Chancellor.

Panthers already have two of the top five LBs in the league IMO (Kuechly and Davis). Sure, they could use an OBL to cover tight ends and rush the passer, but that's not the most pressing need. The most pressing need on the defense was clearly an enforcer at the safety position. Is Shaq Thompson enough of an athelete to do this?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ He's a project.

His versatility is what made him a good college talent, but he's a man without a position in the NFL.

In college he was good in coverage but bad in run support for an LB, and bad in coverage but good in run support for a safety.

In the NFL he's not talented enough to build gimmicks around, either.

He's a full fledged tweener in the NFL. The breadth of things he did well in college made him great, except he doesn't excel in any area. At the NFL level I think he'll be not awful in a lot of areas without being good in any.

I could be wrong, but I just don't see much off a future for him beyond special teams.

I thought he was way over-drafted, personally. The crazy part is he could have gone even higher if his combine numbers were better.

chris98251

Reaction score
Disagree, I think he could be a Kam type safety, the UW were desperate all over and he is a freak athlete, why he was on offense and defense, I think if he gets to stay in a position and really get the nuances down he will explode at some point. Always around the ball and disruptive as a Safety and a LB. on a bad defense teams played away from him since he was one of the bright spots at LB and Safety.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ Yeah, I think he was a freak athlete for college, but not the NFL.

The Kam comparison is why I threw in the "not talented enough to build a gimmick around."

Replacing "gimmick" with "scheme" is a little bit more to my point.

Kam is a well deserved pro-bowler in the Seahawks scheme, but would be a liability in most schemes. He's in a system which best utilizes his ability.

I honestly just don't see the fit with the Panthers. Send him to the Jags and I'd get the point, but the Panthers, not really.

He's simply too narrow and too weak to play weak side linebacker in the NFL. I think he'll end up as a strong safety on the Panthers, but I don't think he'll be that effective.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I also thought the Panther's were drafting Thompson to turn him into a Chancellor type thumper safety, but from seeing his draft press conference photo with the number 54, kinda tells you LB doesn't it?

QpZTGqYFLXDlr6PM8Bg35h06vHpKdUdZKVxC7xS q5J guu01F

I'm a big Husky fan, and I can tell you this, Shaq is a football player that popped off the screen. All the dude did was make plays, no matter the position.

I have no doubt he's got the football passion, skill and instincts to play whatever position the Panthers ask him to play.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
He's a football player with passion and great instincts. I think hes going to be a great OLB. The "tweener" complaint is lazy and not true. You're going to love having the guy play for your team

OP
OP
aawolf

aawolf

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I guess the Panthers may have drafted him to be an LB and solidify that position as the best. Thomas Davis is great player and an even better person (NFL Man of the Year), but he's had two knee reconstructions and we've played whole seasons without him. Kuechly is the ultimate sideline to sideline player. Shaq will learn a lot with those two teaching him at the position.

I want him as a Safety though. I want him to be the Kam Chancellor of the Panthers. To do this, its probably more about attitude than anything. Kam plays angry and aggressive. He's a bad man and feared throughout the league. Did Shaq play that way on a regular basis in college? I've seen highlights, but everyone looks good in highlights. Does he bring the pain with every hit and set the tone on defense? I guess that's what I'm wondering about more than anything else.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^What do you think his best position is in the NFL?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
aawolf":3q82grqf said:
I want him as a Safety though. I want him to be the Kam Chancellor of the Panthers. To do this, its probably more about attitude than anything. Kam plays angry and aggressive. He's a bad man and feared throughout the league. Did Shaq play that way on a regular basis in college? I've seen highlights, but everyone looks good in highlights. Does he bring the pain with every hit and set the tone on defense? I guess that's what I'm wondering about more than anything else.

Shaq's not as tall as Kam, and a little lighter I think, so not sure that's a good comparison. He does hit, but I'd call him more of a ball hawk than enforcer type.

Maybe that's why the Panther's see Shaq as more of an outside LB that can run, yet still has the size to match up with all these hybrid TE's out in coverage.

It'll be interesting for sure, and like I said I think he'll be a beast at either position. I just think INSTINCTUALLY maybe he's more suited at the LB position.

kearly

Reaction score
He is a huge playmaker wherever he plays, but not really a natural player at any position. I wish him the best, but I don't even think LB was his best position. Neither did his college coach.

I struggle to call this pick a reach though, since the talent pool in the late 1st wasn't really any better than the talent pool in the late 2nd. Can't deny the guy has huge upside.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the replies and honest thoughts and well wishes on this topic. FWIW, a Cowboys reporter stated after the draft that he would have been the pick at 27 and Dave Gettleman stated unequivocally that he knew the Cowboys were locked in on Shaq pre-draft and that this was confirmed post draft. No chance he was there by waiting or even trading back.

Interesting he was the #1 player in California and #4 player overall regardless of position nationally out of high school. Hard not to love the potential.

drrew

Reaction score
Best case scenario you're hoping for Lavonte David. Undersized WLB who flashes sideline to sideline making plays.

Worst case scenario he's a special teams star. While you'd hope for more, it still would be filling a valuable role.

ctrcat

Reaction score
drrew":3v9mpw0j said:
Best case scenario you're hoping for Lavonte David. Undersized WLB who flashes sideline to sideline making plays.

Worst case scenario he's a special teams star. While you'd hope for more, it still would be filling a valuable role.

For the Panthers, who ranked 31st on the Dallas Morning News list of special teams units and allowed four special teams TD's in 2014, that had to be part of the thinking as well.

googoodan

Reaction score
aawolf":1fc89rki said:
Thanks for the comments. I guess the Panthers may have drafted him to be an LB and solidify that position as the best. Thomas Davis is great player and an even better person (NFL Man of the Year), but he's had two knee reconstructions and we've played whole seasons without him. Kuechly is the ultimate sideline to sideline player. Shaq will learn a lot with those two teaching him at the position.

*three* knee reconstructions. and don't forget TD was drafted as a safety/linebacker hybrid as well.

a few other points to consider:
-Ron Rivera's playing history. He was on the 1985 Bears team. Could he be bringing back the 46? Thompson seems to be the ideal size to play the 46 position. Then on passing downs, he can replace Harper in the secondary.
-Our Buffalo nickel package. We got burned a few times after we were forced to play Colin Jones at the big nickel spot.
-If he is as versatile as I'm hearing, he may be that third 3-down linebacker that we've been missing for a while.