Drafted No.1 Overall - Super Bowl Champ

kidhawk

Reaction score
I was thinking today, and couldn't think of any recently, so I looked it up, and from my quick research, I found that I was right, it's been awhile.

I'm sure someone will get it quickly, but who was the last player, to be drafted number 1 overall in the NFL draft to take the team that drafted them to win the Super Bowl in their career.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
OlyHawkFan":2vqsw5qz said:
Payton Manning

To the best of my quick research knowledge, this is correct. It was 1998. For all the players drafted number 1, it's still not an easy feat to take your team on to win the Lombardi

Diezel Dawg":2vqsw5qz said:
Eli Manning?

Eli, although was drafted number 1, and took a team on to win the super bowl, it wasn't the team who drafted him (San Diego Drafted him and traded him for Rivers)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Not totally surprising, IMO.

There's a reason that teams draft #1 overall.

IMO the most likely next candidate to do it has to be Andrew Luck, which would bring up the question of how long it has been since a #1 overall pick NOT drafted by the Colts won the Super Bowl on his original team.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Eli Manning, 2004, was effectively drafted by the Giants #1 overall. They just did the trade deal kind of backwards. It's a technicality that he didn't win a SB with his drafting team.

Peyton Manning, 1998.

Drew Bledsoe (1993) technically was the last #1-picked, non-Manning QB to win a SB with his original team, although he was not the starting QB when the Patriots won SB XXXVI. He was the starter when they lost in SB XXXI.

Troy Aikman, taken in 1989, was the last non-Manning QB to go #1 and win it all with his drafting team as the team's starter.

John Elway did the Eli move 20 years prior. Although he played his entire career with the Broncos, reaching 5 SBs and winning 2 after the '97 and '98 seasons, he was picked #1 in 1983 by the Colts, whom he never played for.

Jim Plunkett, #1 in 1971, led the Raiders to 2 SB victories, but he was drafted by the Patriots.

Terry Bradshaw in 1970 is the only other #1 overall QB to win a SB as the starter for his drafting team.

So in 49 years of the SB era, 20 QBs have gone #1 and only 3 have led their drafting team to the pinnacle of the NFL as the starting QB. 3 won SBs with other teams, and 1 was the backup QB for his drafting team when they won a SB.

Other players to be #1 and SB champ with their original team:

Orlando Pace was the most recent non-QB #1 pick to help a team win the SB. STL drafted him in 1997, then won the SB after the 1999 season.

Dallas took Russell Maryland, DT, #1 in 1991. He won 3 SBs over the next 6 years with them.

Dallas also selected Ed 'Too Tall' Jones #1 in 1974. They won SB XII after the '77 season, and he played in 2 other SB's with the Cowboys.

Bubba Smith was #1 in 1967 and played in 2 title games, losing SB III and winning SB V with his drafting team, the Baltimore Colts.

Buck Buchanan, DT, went 1st overall to the AFL's Chiefs in 1963. He was also chosen with pick 265 by the NFL's Packers. He would have gone to a SB with either, as the teams played each other in SB I, but he went with Kansas City and lost that game. A few years later he won a championship with the Chiefs in SB IV. Bonus fun fact: Buchanan was the first black pro-football player ever selected #1 overall.

So by my count, that's 8 overall #1s who helped their drafting team win a SB. 9 if you count Bledsoe.

Honorable Mention:

Jim Grabowski, RB, was picked #1 overall by the Miami Dolphins of the AFL, and #9 by the Packers in 1966. He chose the Packers and won Superbowls I and II with them.

Oh-So-Close (x4):

Bruce Smith, #1 in 1985, was with the Bills during their 4-SB run.

drdiags

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2w85ejgp said:
Buck Buchanan was a bad, bad man. ^^^^^

Show you right.

Those Stram Chiefs had some serious talent on the roster. Lanier, Otis Taylor, Culp, Robinson. On and on.

rideaducati

Reaction score
How the hell has Dallas had so many first overall picks in the drafts? Seattle has NEVER had the first overall pick.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
rideaducati":30ya5zun said:
How the hell has Dallas had so many first overall picks in the drafts? Seattle has NEVER had the first overall pick.
That's funny... and interesting. Even in our leanest years, even as an expansion team, the Seahawks never finished dead last in the league. "America's team" bottomed out 3 times.

Fun Fact: The year we entered the league, Tampa Bay also got an expansion team. They got the #1 pick that year, 1976, and again had the #1 in '77. The Bucs repeated this back-to-back draft-day deal 10 years later, drafting first overall in 1986 and '87.

Without looking it up, does anyone remember who they selected #1 in 1986?

Hint: he didn't play a single down for them.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
uncle fester":6c2itf3f said:
Tempted to say Bo Jackson, but was it Doug Williams?
Ding ding ding! Your first thought was on target. Bo spurned the Bucs because he felt they underhandedly and deliberately cost him his final baseball season at Auburn.

Latest posts