NFL now considering goal line cameras

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
NFL now considering goal line cameras
Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:05 pm
  • DUH?!? I wonder why it took so long to see the obvious. Thank you Bill for opening the window "Do Your Job"
    Jay-Dog
    NET Starter

• Belichick gets what he wants. Atleast this time he used his powers for good.
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• And only 20 or so years behind the technology curve.

:34853_doh:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• There will still be plenty of plays obscured by other players but this should help.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• This should have been done when they instituted the "all scoring plays get reviewed" rule.

:34853_doh:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I liked the idea that someone proposed, not sure where i heard it, but they were talking about having some sort of electronics across the goal line and something on the ball that when the ball crossed the goal line it would signal. Probably would add cost to the the balls, etc. but you'd know whether it crossed or not regardless of whether there is a pic of it, which in most cases is the question.

Anything that takes the refs personal opinions out of the game I'm all for.
    lvnginhwktwn
    NET Veteran

Re: NFL now considering goal line cameras
Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:43 am
  • lvnginhwktwn wrote:I liked the idea that someone proposed, not sure where i heard it, but they were talking about having some sort of electronics across the goal line and something on the ball that when the ball crossed the goal line it would signal. Probably would add cost to the the balls, etc. but you'd know whether it crossed or not regardless of whether there is a pic of it, which in most cases is the question.

Anything that takes the refs personal opinions out of the game I'm all for.

We were talking about that a while back. I like the idea but the tech would have to be pretty solid and not be subject to interference or signal strength. I wanted something like that for the sidelines too that can isolate a player's foot. Again it would have to be some serious tech.

Likely someday.
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:45 am
  • I also like the idea of some visual indication of a blown whistle for review purposes.
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:25 am
  • Vinny Testaverde's head called............................
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:35 pm
  • "Sensors will be placed in all balls, and to be consistent with prior rulings, in Vinny Testaverde's Helmet"
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:51 pm
  • This is one of those ideas that sounds like a no-brainer, but probably isn't nearly as important as it sounds.

What are the goal line calls that were likely gotten wrong because there's not a clear camera angle? All the calls people complain about either had perfectly fine camera angles and the call was just blown (i.e. Testaverde), or were just plays for which where the ball actually was caused it to be obscured by the players around it (which dedicated goal line cameras won't solve either -- i.e. Kap's likely fumble on the one inch line to end the Rams game last year).

If the NFL does it my guess is it is a populist move, not a meaningful one.

I mean, a dedicate goal line camera is going to show us the below? We don't need a dedicated goal line camera to see it, because we already get it without one:

Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Funny how they say the NFL can't afford this camera equipment when roger goodell has a 44 mill per year salary.
    massari
    NET Veteran

• massari wrote:Funny how they say the NFL can't afford this camera equipment when roger goodell has a 44 mill per year salary.

Have they really said that?!
    original poster
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• original poster wrote:
    massari wrote:Funny how they say the NFL can't afford this camera equipment when roger goodell has a 44 mill per year salary.

Have they really said that?!

Not that they can't afford it, just that they're looking into the expense of it.

That's BS of course, but if they told the truth -- this sounds like a great idea but actually wouldn't really change anything -- they'd be giving ammo to talking head opinionators for every future close or missed goalline call (regardless of if dedicated cameras would have reversed them; and IMO they wouldn't).

Hence, just saying something else is the right way to handle it.

All that said, I still think they'll do it just because they're consumer facing and fans think it's a good idea and an obvious one (it's a PR thing, not an officiating thing IMO).

Last thought: the real way to do this would either to have sensors on the ball and across the goallines/first down markers, etc., which will happen eventually. T
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• I dont golf.....

But when I tried to it was at top golf. Every single golf ball there is chipped. It tells you the exact distance the ball goes etc.

I doubt its even as complicated as we think these days. I'm sure we will get there at some point.
    ringless
    NET Veteran

• Apparently Bill Belicheck threw a tantrum per John Clayton "He didn't like the way they took the advice, he started cussing and swearing...he made a scene."

From my 710 post, about 15:00 in he starts talking New England, deflated balls, then the rule change.

John Clayton talks about Brandon Mebane's situation, including if and when the Seahawks could cut him and why he'd have to take a pay cut on the open market. Mariners pitcher Dominic Leone answers the tough questions like Brad Miller's hair, getting snubbed from the 'Hawt Corner' video, and also about pitcher's working on things in spring. In "Sweeping the Dial" the guys talk about the end of Gonzaga's run, the Falcons pumping in noise, and Sam Bradford in Philly.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... nd%20Moore
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:46 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information