49ers Linebacker Chris Borland Retiring.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I think this is going to bea quickly growing trend in the next few years. I think we'll see a lot more guys get in , make a little money, and get out.

jake206

Reaction score
Smart move. Many other players should prolly consider this if they are frequently concussed. Neurodegenerative disorders are no joke.

drrew

Reaction score
Incredible...and I couldn't support him any stronger. I love football, but without major changes to the game, my son will not play, and most friends of mine with kids (all sports fans, several season ticket holders) feel the same way.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Un. Real.

Niner offseason from hell continued. Dunno what even to say at this point.

Sherman4Prez

Reaction score
Gosh, this is unbelievable. This could really hurt the sport if this trend gets going.

drdiags

Reaction score
It is amazing but at least players are looking at this with their eyes wide open. Easy to not consider the impact when it is other players but I can see this concern growing for all NFL players. I am sure there will be more moves like this.

Maybe these guys need to be vetted to make sure they really want a pro career, or teams will need to adapt a maximum limit on how long a player can be in the league along with a cap on the number of concussions per career. That will not stop CTE symptoms for vets but could be like one of those futuristic movies where once you hit 30 it is time to die (retire in this case).

Erebus

Reaction score
drrew":uxjp0zer said:
Incredible...and I couldn't support him any stronger. I love football, but without major changes to the game, my son will not play, and most friends of mine with kids (all sports fans, several season ticket holders) feel the same way.

Mine neither, although he's a scrawny little kid that would never make it anyways. But he won't be playing football at any level. If he really wants to, he can play flag football.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
What the heck is it April fools day?
Surprised he is hanging em up after a year, thought he might have a fairly short career like Lofa had but wow.

But after reading the link his reasoning makes sense. Football is a very violent game and I fear what life will be like down the line after football for the Polamalu's, Tatupu's, Welker's, Kamtrack's of the world after being hit and hitting so hard so often.

TAB420

Reaction score
They just don't want to be there, even the 49ers hate the 49ers. :sarcasm_off:

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Dayummmmmn.

49ers D now have lost Vic Fangio, Justin Smith (probably), Chris Culliver, and lost three solid to great LBers Willis, Borland, and Skuta.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
3 months ago I would have called this guy an idiot. But after going through some health issues of my own, I get it.

There really isn't anything as valuable as your health.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I told my kids: You don't play football. PERIOD. End of discussion.
Good to see a player leave money on the table for his family. Great man.
For kids coming from more challenging backgrounds (financially), this is a tougher decision ... but life's not easy.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
This is painful for the 49ers. He was their fallback for Willis.

You don't see this much in the NFL from players who have had success. Very surprising.