Oline and DT, anyone else in FA worth looking at?

Greenhell

Reaction score
So is our FA shopping over? Two FA CBs and traded for Jimmy but is there anyone else worth looking at in FA regarding Oline and DT? Or is it now hurry up and wait for the draft?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I think the Seahawks could sign G Shelley Smith to a cheap 1 year deal and let him compete with Bailey plus draft picks.

I think they could also sign a stop-gap/ ZBS mentor OC like Chris Myers or Will Montgomery to compete with Patrick Lewis plus draft picks.

They'll likely get a returner/speed WR via draft.

And as for DTs, Randy Starks and Barry Cofield are still on the market. And could come cheap.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3ilef7xu said:
I think the Seahawks could sign G Shelley Smith to a cheap 1 year deal and let him compete with Bailey plus draft picks.

I think they could also sign a stop-gap/ ZBS mentor OC like Chris Myers or Will Montgomery to compete with Patrick Lewis plus draft picks.

They'll likely get a returner/speed WR via draft.

And as for DTs, Randy Starks and Barry Cofield are still on the market. And could come cheap.

Plus I wouldn't doubt that Kevin Williams is still in the mix at the vet min if they cant fill with a younger option. I bet he still has something in the tank after a solid year as a rotational guy. Hopefully he won't have to play as many snaps this time around though if he comes back.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
The two best veteran backup O-linemen available right now (IMO) are OT Anthony Collins and OG Shelley Smith. Neither would count towards the comp pick formula, either.

At DT, I would love to get Nick Fairley on some sort of 'prove it' deal. When healthy and focused he's a legitimate every-down enforcer with the ability to play both the 3T and NT. He was having a terrific season last year before his injury, but he's healthy now.

And I still really want Jabaal Sheard as our Leo in base sets. Getting both Sheard and Fairley would certainly require Mebane's $5.5M salary for 2015 to be significantly reduced (if not releasing him altogether), as that figure is entirely untenable for a 30-year old two-down NT coming off of a major injury. McDaniel's salary may need to come down a bit as well.

stang233

Reaction score
Micheal Johnson was just cut from tampa. Go get him JS!! One year prove it deal would fit him nicely.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":1dju7qcn said:
We still need recievers and a return man as well.

all the more reason i hope we target phillip dorsett in the draft :thirishdrinkers:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
What about Wilfork?Love to get him..We are just going to have to draft or trade for WR.

OP
OP
Greenhell

Greenhell

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":gehpw6en said:
The two best veteran backup O-linemen available right now (IMO) are OT Anthony Collins and OG Shelley Smith. Neither would count towards the comp pick formula, either.

At DT, I would love to get Nick Fairley on some sort of 'prove it' deal. When healthy and focused he's a legitimate every-down enforcer with the ability to play both the 3T and NT. He was having a terrific season last year before his injury, but he's healthy now.

And I still really want Jabaal Sheard as our Leo in base sets. Getting both Sheard and Fairley would certainly require Mebane's $5.5M salary for 2015 to be significantly reduced (if not releasing him altogether), as that figure is entirely untenable for a 30-year old two-down NT coming off of a major injury. McDaniel's salary may need to come down a bit as well.

I know it's early but haven't heard a lot of chatter about Fairley. He hasn't been anywhere close to as dominant as he was projected to be. Doesn't he get lazy and take plays off?

naholmes

Reaction score
What about Andre Holmes, WR OAK? He is big (6'4") and fast (4.5) and had an OK season considering he's a Raider. He's restricted but signed at original tender as UDFA so Raiders get a chance to match any offer but no compensation if they don't. They also have Rod Streater at 2nd round tender and might be thinking about Kevin White in the draft so there's a decent chance they let Holmes leave.

DJrmb

Reaction score
There are a ton of really good Free Agents still but I don't think we'll look into them too much as we want to keep our Comp picks next year. I look for them to try to bring back our own guys mostly and maybe grab 1 guy that just is too good of a deal to pass on because his market has been slow for whatever reason.

Keep an eye out for players that were released as apposed to UFA's as they won't effect our chances of getting a really high comp pick next year. Guys like: Michael Johnson, Randy Starks, Stevie Johnson, Shelley Smith, Brandon Browner, Jake Long, etc.

TheWalrus

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":v0d1hv49 said:

Man I wish I didn't read this, now I'm dreaming about signing Fairley on it prove it deal. That would be awesome!

Ranker777

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3p0uzn74 said:
What about Wilfork?Love to get him..We are just going to have to draft or trade for WR.

Wilfork is old. His second half of 2014 was just bad. He is way past his prime and should retire.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
One more deep sleeper on the D-line: Tyrunn Walker. He was non-tendered by the Saints as an RFA (wouldn't count against comp pick formula) due to lack of cap space (they'd love to have him back). He was a backup 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT for the Saints and rated very highly by PFF (21st out 81 qualifying interior DL's last season) with positive grades vs. the run and pass. He's been lauded for his work ethic and motor as well. For a cheap investment he'd bring size (6-4, 300+), versatility, character, youth (25), and a year spent previously working with current Hawks DL coach Travis Jones with the Saints in 2012 when Walker made the 53-man roster as an undrafted rookie and was a healthy inactive for all 16 games.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I want Cecil Shorts and wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Randy Starks or Henry Melton on a 1/2 year prove it deal.

Then we can go hog wild in the draft and dominate all the way until Levi's Stadium in February

BlueBlood

Reaction score
I wanted Britt before we got Jimmy and still wouldnt mind giving him a look.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3skugzc9 said:
One more deep sleeper on the D-line: Tyrunn Walker. He was non-tendered by the Saints as an RFA (wouldn't count against comp pick formula) due to lack of cap space (they'd love to have him back). He was a backup 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT for the Saints and rated very highly by PFF (21st out 81 qualifying interior DL's last season) with positive grades vs. the run and pass. He's been lauded for his work ethic and motor as well. For a cheap investment he'd bring size (6-4, 300+), versatility, character, youth (25), and a year spent previously working with current Hawks DL coach Travis Jones with the Saints in 2012 when Walker made the 53-man roster as an undrafted rookie and was a healthy inactive for all 16 games.

Good homework there. Thanks for sharing this. Will be interesting to see if the Seahawks actually meet with him.

Latest posts