New Orleans willing to trade Drew Brees?

hawker232

Reaction score
@MikeBaileyNFL: Drew Brees is rumored to be available for trade now.

@RyanBartow: The @Saints are opening up offers for Drew Brees. Third time is a charm @MiamiDolphins.

These are the only two tweets I've been able find regarding Brees being traded. Has anyone else heard about this? If this is true, why would New Orleans want to do this?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The Saints are in Cap hell. It was said they were around $20 million over the cap before the league year started today.

They told teams that everyone on their roster is available, which is why Seattle was able to get Jimmy Graham.

They are going to try and blow it up and start over.

Mike 4G

Reaction score
What if they traded him for Kaep? Not sure how much the 9ers have left over with all the people retiring/leaving or about to be cut. We now have rumors about both being shopped...

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
If there is a team right now that badly needs an NFL QB and has a team that is ready to compete now, then I'd pull the trigger. Brees still has 2-4 really good years left, probably even more with how QBs are protected.

Lithium

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3mkn4q77 said:
SalishHawkFan":3mkn4q77 said:
Buffalo could use Brees.

They'd be pretty scary, actually. Brees, McCoy, Watkins, that Defense...yikes.

right. too bad they dont have a 1st RD pick. Kinda puts them out of the race

HawkMeat

Reaction score
No way this is done. Just don't see it. Didn't this start on twitter and not by league sources?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
#1 overall for an aging and declining Brees? Man, I would not like that if I were a Bucs fan. Although if they don't really like any of the QB prospects in this draft, they might feel it's their only choice.

HawkGA

Reaction score
There. Is. No. Way. This. Happens.

So I assume a deal will be done before the weekend.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1h723ruw said:
#1 overall for an aging and declining Brees? Man, I would not like that if I were a Bucs fan. Although if they don't really like any of the QB prospects in this draft, they might feel it's their only choice.
What about Brees, #13, and #31 for #1?

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
Are we really about to turn back into the Browns just yet? LOL.

I kind of think this rumor is way overblown.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Makes sense to trade him now. They're in a bad way with the cap and there isn't really a realistic shot to win the Super Bowl in the next two years for them. Brees will have zero value to any team in two years. Strike while the iron is hot. They could reap a few picks from the right team. The Saints already traded away their two best young receiving weapons. If the Saints keep Brees, they'll be wasting a lot of money for diminishing returns and they were bad last year.

jake206

Reaction score
Trade Brees for Mariota? Young legs...less of a cap hit. Before everyone blows this off...there could be some weird logic to this.