Colts Sign Trent Cole

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Assuming they get Gore and Johnson too, the Colts are going to have their work cut out for them a couple of years down the line when they've got to replace all these core guys. Add in the potential extensions for TY Hilton and Coby Fleener, rising cap hits for O-linemen and a mammoth deal for Andrew Luck and they probably wont find themselves with much money to do it.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2sq1novb said:
Assuming they get Gore and Johnson too, the Colts are going to have their work cut out for them a couple of years down the line when they've got to replace all these core guys. Add in the potential extensions for TY Hilton and Coby Fleener, rising cap hits for O-linemen and a mammoth deal for Andrew Luck and they probably wont find themselves with much money to do it.

Gore, Johnson and Cole are all older players, I doubt they're thinking of them as long-term core guys.

Still no official contract for Johnson but Gore and Cole are both on two year deals, meaning that they can get some good years out of them without having to worry about any long-term cap ramifications for them, and while also increasing their window to draft replacements at RB, WR, and OLB.

By the time the real money for guys like Luck and Hilton come up, these guys will have moved on anyway.

I've said it a couple times and of course we don't know if it will work or not, but I think the Colts are playing FA PERFECTLY. They have the money to spend in the short term, and are doing it by signing vets whose roles are highly specialized to what they're good at, who will be asked to do less of what they've been asked of in the past, and who provide a talent infusion without any long-term cap ramifications.

Needless to say I'm a big, big fan of what they're doing, and think they're going about it a smart way.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3k3digqs said:
SomersetHawk":3k3digqs said:

Gore, Johnson and Cole are all older players, I doubt they're thinking of them as long-term core guys.

Still no official contract for Johnson but Gore and Cole are both on two year deals, meaning that they can get some good years out of them without having to worry about any long-term cap ramifications for them, and while also increasing their window to draft replacements at RB, WR, and OLB.

By the time the real money for guys like Luck and Hilton come up, these guys will have moved on anyway.

I've said it a couple times and of course we don't know if it will work or not, but I think the Colts are playing FA PERFECTLY. They have the money to spend in the short term, and are doing it by signing vets whose roles are highly specialized to what they're good at, who will be asked to do less of what they've been asked of in the past, and who provide a talent infusion without any long-term cap ramifications.

Needless to say I'm a big, big fan of what they're doing, and think they're going about it a smart way.

I guess we see it differently. Absolutely they're not long term core guys, but they'd obviously be signed with the intentions of providing some big contributions.

As I said, in a couple of years time when they go, Colts better have found replacements for a couple of them otherwise they might get stuck given the money they'll be spending on guys currently under contract. I imagine Luck's, TY's and even Fleener's contracts will have to be structured to rise, then there's guys like Cherilus, with a contract that takes decent jumps over the next couple of years.

Not a lot of depth on that team and the AFC South can't get any weaker.

Latest posts