Players Franchise Tags Used/Not Used

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000475744/article/franchise-tag-tracker[/urltargetblank]

Franchise deadline is in a matter of hours, so go ahead and post any news you see about franchised players here. So far what we know about who is and isn't being tagged today:

Ndamukong Suh will hit the open market.

The Detroit Lions announced that the team will not place the franchise tag on the defensive tackle.

The tag would have cost Detroit $26.8 million because his renegotiated salary in 2014 was $22.4 million (the tag calls for 120 percent increase in a player's salary from the previous season).

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000475734/article/detroit-lions-do-not-franchise-ndamukong-suh[/urltargetblank]

With some degree of uncertainty clouding Denver's quarterback situation over the near future, the team has taken the convenient route and will use their franchise tag on star wide receiver Demaryius Thomas, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday, per a source informed of the team's plans.

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000475739/article/broncos-to-use-franchise-tag-on-demaryius-thomas[/urltargetblank]

The Chiefs were the first team to join in on a massive game of tag this morning.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday, per a source of the team's plans, that Kansas City will place the franchise tender on pass rusher Justin Houston just a few months after he finished the 2014 season as the NFL's sack leader (22). Rapoport adds that Houston will not sign the tag any time soon, per a source informed of the player's thinking.

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000475736/article/kansas-city-chiefs-franchise-tag-justin-houston[/urltargetblank]

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I know it was unlikely for Suh to get tagged, but it still is surprising to see a player of his caliber hit the open market. I expect a lot of teams are going to be lining up, especially the Raiders and Jags who have a ton of cap room.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2kxnqqow said:
I know it was unlikely for Suh to get tagged, but it still is surprising to see a player of his caliber hit the open market. I expect a lot of teams are going to be lining up, especially the Raiders and Jags who have a ton of cap room.

Technically he hasn't hit the open market, but it seems most believe he will when Free Agency officially starts next week (Myself included). I'm sure Detroit would still like to lock him into a long term contract, but they can't force his hand once the tag deadline passes in about 3-1/2 hours.

sutz

Reaction score
So, are any Seahawks eligible? I guess Max would be a logical choice, though it seems highly unlikely for it to happen. Anybody else?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kidhawk":2sp45u0g said:
HawkFan72":2sp45u0g said:

Technically he hasn't hit the open market, but it seems most believe he will when Free Agency officially starts next week (Myself included). I'm sure Detroit would still like to lock him into a long term contract, but they can't force his hand once the tag deadline passes in about 3-1/2 hours.

I never understood why players would avoid the franchise tag and then sign an extension before free agency opens. That just seems foolish to me. Just wait a few days and look at all your options!

HawkFan72

Reaction score
sutz":3ln0f8n2 said:
So, are any Seahawks eligible? I guess Max would be a logical choice, though it seems highly unlikely for it to happen. Anybody else?

No one is worth it. I believe the Hawks have already said they aren't going to use the tag this year.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
sutz":1r1n5n8d said:

I think any of our free agents to be are "eligible" because we haven't used the cap in awhile now, but John has already said we won't be tagging anyone this year, so that isn't anything we have to worry about right now.

sutz

Reaction score
HawkFan72":tu8xylsy said:
sutz":tu8xylsy said:

No one is worth it. I believe the Hawks have already said they aren't going to use the tag this year.
Kind of what I thought from discussions around here. Max seems like the one guy even remotely worth it, but the team has a history of not tagging players, franchise, at least.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a Seahawks thread. ;)

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
sutz":24nznm2l said:
HawkFan72":24nznm2l said:
sutz":24nznm2l said:

Kind of what I thought from discussions around here. Max seems like the one guy even remotely worth it, but the team has a history of not tagging players, franchise, at least.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a Seahawks thread. ;)

Cap number for a CB this year is $13.75 million. So that should easily answer any questions about franchising Maxwell. I'd probably have done it for Sherman, but the fact that John locks up our core players the year before they are eligible for Free Agency keeps us from having to use the restrictive tag on them.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Jason Pierre-Paul, New York Giants, defensive end: Rapoport broke the news that JPP will remain a Giant. Tagging him will cost the Giants $14.813 million, so they will desperately try to work out a long-term contract. Observers slept on Pierre-Paul's quietly excellent 2014 campaign which included dominant run-stopping play. The Giants know how valuable he is

Another non surprise recipient of the tag

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/572483658252206081[/tweet]

Patriots Franchise K Gostkowski

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Not a franchise tag, but a transition tag being used on Dophins TE Charles Clay

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/572486617186889728[/tweet]

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Tag deadline passed a few minutes ago. Reports are that these 5 are the only Franchise tags, with the 1 other being the Transition tag of the Dolphins TE.

ivotuk

Reaction score
kidhawk":35u00myi said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/572483658252206081[/tweet]

Patriots Franchise K Gostkowski

IIRC this is the 2nd time they've done that.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Anyone know how many times a team has declined to match an offer to a non-exclusive franchise tagged player and thus received the 2 first rd picks as compensation?

Has it ever happened?

sutz

Reaction score
Basis4day":34yd6x3v said:
Anyone know how many times a team has declined to match an offer to a non-exclusive franchise tagged player and thus received the 2 first rd picks as compensation?

Has it ever happened?
We got two firsts for Galloway, right?

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
sutz":sydz3ljb said:
Basis4day":sydz3ljb said:

Has it ever happened?
We got two firsts for Galloway, right?

Correct. I believe Walter Jones was one of those picks, if I remember correctly.

Edit: I didn't remember correctly. The picks were used for Shaun Alexander and Koren Robinson.