Darnell Dockett released by Cards / and just signed by SF

jake206

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/571418408526352384[/tweet]

Any bidders?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'd take him for 4-5M on a one year deal...........but I assume Arizona already tried to get him to take a pay cut to this amount or less, and he said no.

33 years old, but I bet he'd be a beast on our line if he got to be in a rotation, and not have to play every snap.

ringless

Reaction score
I understand why he was released. But this is a guy that bleeds red... Just like everyone else but more of a Cardinal red. Even when recovering he didn't miss a game, attended all the practices, and went to team meetings. HE has always come across as extremely loyal to the Cardinals. I'm not trying to be a homer, but I do think he ends up signing with the Cardinals again. I think that is where is heart truly is unless there is a team willing to offer a lot more. then 4-5 million which I am assuming was the range as opposed to 6.8..... I guess time will tell, hate to lose him, even at his age.

ringless

Reaction score
And on a side note, its interesting that Dockett gave Dansby a hard time for leaving and chasing the money..... Hmmm

pehawk

Reaction score
ringless":32o0abuy said:
I understand why he was released. But this is a guy that bleeds red... Just like everyone else but more of a Cardinal red. Even when recovering he didn't miss a game, attended all the practices, and went to team meetings. HE has always come across as extremely loyal to the Cardinals. I'm not trying to be a homer, but I do think he ends up signing with the Cardinals again. I think that is where is heart truly is unless there is a team willing to offer a lot more. then 4-5 million which I am assuming was the range as opposed to 6.8..... I guess time will tell, hate to lose him, even at his age.

You're not being a homer...in this instance. This is just a smart move by the Cardinals AND Dockett. They know his current contract is too much, but they don't know what the number should be. So, cut Dockett, let him get a feel for his value, and the Cardinals will match.

It was the same line of thinking Ruskell used with Hutch. But, Dockett aint Hutch, and he does indeed bleed red.

On a related note, when my wife "bleeds red" I make her sleep in the garage, on a blue tarp. Nothing should bleed for a week and still be living. Ewww...

XOXO

JJ Arrington

Greenhell

Reaction score
Oh he mad...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 2,446

drdiags

Reaction score
NFL, it's a cold business. At some point, most of the league's stars are given a boot from the team they helped put on the map. I could see Dockett signing back with the Cards unless someone blows his socks off.

Kind of saw this coming when he went down last year, but then again I thought Mebane was going to get the same treatment and so far that hasn't happened.

Ruminator

Reaction score
I find the idea of Suh as a Seahawk much more tolerable than that of Dockett as a Seahawk. Seeing "DOCKETT" in Seahawk blue would be almost as bad as seeing, say, "ROETHLISBERGER" in Seahawk blue. I'm sure our FO has no interest in him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":mglzcu2h said:
They did "cut" him. Could that possibly affect his loyalty?

I haven't heard any rumors or statements from Dockett's camp that he's pissed, so hard to tell.

My guess is the Card's front office tried to get him to re-do his deal, he wouldn't so they told him they're cutting him so he can test the market.......at which time the Card's could match offers if Dockett wants to stay.

The Cardinals don't exactly have a ton of cap space, so my guess is all it's gonna take is one team to take a chance on a two year deal for him to leave.......kinda like what happened with Jared Allen last year when we almost got him on a one year deal. The dumb Bears overspent and he went there. I could see the same scenario with Dockett, dude's still a very good player.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkFan72":zyklslp1 said:
He's meeting with the 49ers tonight. That's probably the last place I want him to go, other than Arizona.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ett-scheduled-to-meet-with-the-49ers-tonight/

Last place I'd want him to go is a contender like GB, Philly or the Cowboys..............the Niners are on the decline so signing an old stop gap like Dockett for a year or two doesn't scare me.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather he not sign with the Niners, but as far as teams that'd scare me if he signed with they're down the list.

Largent80

Reaction score
Loyalty by players to teams has been dead since free agency and salary caps hit.

There are a very few exceptions, but for the most part, I would say DD just divorced from AZ.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Before he signed his most recent contract, Dockett made some odd comments in regards to how much he liked SF fans and how supportive they were of their team.

At the time I thought it was really odd considering how big the rivalry was between the two teams for a few years there. I wasn't really sure if he meant it or if it was a dig about Cards fans.

Either way, interesting that he'd visit the Niners now. Maybe he was serious. No idea.

As for how good he'll be, I kinda thought he was on the decline BEFORE he got hurt. Still, if he is healthy and comes fairly cheap might be a good player in rotation.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
ringless":1yb4w5wd said:
Bleeds red, you say? Hmmmm... I think I can see him in red and gold.

In any case, whatever color an NFL player bleeds when he's signed, when he isn't signed they all bleed green.