Baalke/Tomsula

jake206

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/49ers/status/567866149473378305[/tweet]

Ah... :snack:, just enjoying the show.

Clayfighter

Reaction score
I can't wait to hear the uhs, ums, "we won't comment on that at this time" replies and generally confused expressions.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Sweet, we get to see the existential clown perform tomorrow at 9:30 AM.

Scottish-588.jpg

Scottemojo

Reaction score
watching Baalke this morning was painful. He knows they have him dead to rights on the "mutual" parting of the ways, so he just deflects with the past is in the past. Buncha bullshit.

Baalke has made Jim Harbaugh into a sympathetic figure, and that, I formerly thought, was impossible. Hell, I will be cheering for Michigan this year, which I also thought was impossible.

Baalke is a miracle worker, clearly. He has made the impossible happen.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":15ynkc59 said:
watching Baalke this morning was painful. He knows they have him dead to rights on the "mutual" parting of the ways, so he just deflects with the past is in the past. Buncha bullshit.

Baalke has made Jim Harbaugh into a sympathetic figure, and that, I formerly thought, was impossible. Hell, I will be cheering for Michigan this year, which I also thought was impossible.

Honestly think that whole "mutual parting" thing is a red herring.

Was he fired? Yes...but there HAD to be a mutual agreement. Otherwise, the 49ers would still owe him the 5 Mil remaining on his contract. He agreed to leave and leave the money on the table...

....so to me its all just semantics.

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2dqrk8uk said:

Odd thing, huh? Not only has he turned Harbaugh into a sympathetic figure for us rival fans, but his peers and players too.

Of course, what do I know? I've been wrong on the 49ers every step of the way. Right Marvin?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Marvin49":3c0uvr3u said:
Scottemojo":3c0uvr3u said:

Was he fired? Yes...but there HAD to be a mutual agreement. Otherwise, the 49ers would still owe him the 5 Mil remaining on his contract. He agreed to leave and leave the money on the table...

It would be semantics if Baalke and York hadn't referenced it when asked about the splitting of the ways. They hung onto it as a deflection, trying to make it sound like Jim just didn't want to be there. The reality was Jim doesn't believe in getting paid for work he has not done. He could have made them pay him. He didn't. That was the only part that was mutual.

Your owner and GM lied their asses off. And don't want to talk about it now.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Marvin49":2ieb2toc said:
Scottemojo":2ieb2toc said:

Marvin, you could not be more wrong about this. Jed explicitly hid behind the "mutual decision" lie in order to dodge questions about his decision to fire Harbaugh after the loss to Seattle. This has nothing to do with his coaching contract . . . they would have signed an agreement mutually terminating the contract with an integration clause, which would have made any succeeding statements irrelevant. That is standard business practice. The intent of the lie was to obfuscate, nothing more. And the fact that he didn't know his lie would eventually be exposed is just another example of Jed's naivety, shortsightedness, and lack of business experience.

So how can you justify a move that is at odds with the history of the NFL?

It was mutual. This wasn't just the 49ers' decision.

Well, Jed, that's a huge issue for me. Because Jim Harbaugh was asked on a number of occasions, what is going on with the story, why is this happening. And Jim's specific words were "I work at the pleasure of the organization." So there's a huge dichotomy between him saying, "I work at the pleasure of the organization", and you saying it was "mutual." Which is true?

I mean, Jim said it was mutual at the end of his tenure with the 49ers.

He didn't. In fact, his last press conference he said, "I work at the pleasure of the organization."

Did you not see the press release that Jim and I put out together?

I did, but it was at odds with what he said at the podium. So I'm trying to figure out which was true?

I've had conversations with Jim, it was a mutual decision.

So you continue to say it was mutual. He says he wanted to work there as long as you guys would have him. That just doesn't add up. Two plus two doesn't equal four.

You can ask Jim if you want. I mean, I sat down with him as we put together a press release. I mean, I don't know what else to tell you.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/12/30/ ... -interview

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3vnz2b4r said:
Marvin49":3vnz2b4r said:
Scottemojo":3vnz2b4r said:

It would be semantics if Baalke and York hadn't referenced it when asked about the splitting of the ways. They hung onto it as a deflection, trying to make it sound like Jim just didn't want to be there. The reality was Jim doesn't believe in getting paid for work he has not done. He could have made them pay him. He didn't. That was the only part that was mutual.

Your owner and GM lied their asses off. And don't want to talk about it now.

Oh...don't get me wrong...

...pretty obvious they overplayed the "mutual parting" angle. I just don't think anyone was really buying it to begin with. Niners don't profess to be transparent anyway. Now peeps come out like "Look SEE, SEE!!!! Harbaugh says they are LYING!!!". Come on...we all knew what was up. They wanted him out.

To me, much ado about nothing. It was a "mutual parting" from a financial standpoint, but I never really thought he wasn't fired. I don't buy he's the innocent puppy dog in all of this though.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":25s7c6vy said:
Marvin49":25s7c6vy said:
Scottemojo":25s7c6vy said:

Marvin, you could not be more wrong about this. Jed explicitly hid behind the "mutual decision" lie in order to dodge questions about his decision to fire Harbaugh after the loss to Seattle. This has nothing to do with his coaching contract . . . they would have signed an agreement mutually terminating the contract with an integration clause, which would have made any succeeding statements irrelevant. That is standard business practice. The intent of the lie was to obfuscate, nothing more. And the fact that he didn't know his lie would eventually be exposed is just another example of Jed's naivety, shortsightedness, and lack of business experience.

Well, Jed, that's a huge issue for me. Because Jim Harbaugh was asked on a number of occasions, what is going on with the story, why is this happening. And Jim's specific words were "I work at the pleasure of the organization." So there's a huge dichotomy between him saying, "I work at the pleasure of the organization", and you saying it was "mutual." Which is true?

He didn't. In fact, his last press conference he said, "I work at the pleasure of the organization."

I did, but it was at odds with what he said at the podium. So I'm trying to figure out which was true?

So you continue to say it was mutual. He says he wanted to work there as long as you guys would have him. That just doesn't add up. Two plus two doesn't equal four.

You can ask Jim if you want. I mean, I sat down with him as we put together a press release. I mean, I don't know what else to tell you.

Wait...so you think Jed is a crappy owner?

I'll alert the presses.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Marvin49":1ibjhaw2 said:
hawknation2015":1ibjhaw2 said:
Marvin49":1ibjhaw2 said:
Scottemojo":1ibjhaw2 said:

Wait...so you think Jed is a crappy owner?

I'll alert the presses.

More obfuscation from Marv . . . no wonder he LOVES Jed.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Semi off topic, but I swear Baalke looks too much like Harbaugh. More so than John does even. My first thought was Harbaugh was shaking Tomsula's hand.

Marvin49

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":2rh8xjcv said:
Semi off topic, but I swear Baalke looks too much like Harbaugh. More so than John does even. My first thought was Harbaugh was shaking Tomsula's hand.

I don't see that...

...but he does sound exactly like Super Dave Osborne.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
The Tomsula press conference this morning was pretty funny. He admits he did a bad job on his first press conference and that the 49ers have been working hard with him to improve. The 49ers also want him to improve his twitter presence . . . good to hear they have their priorities straight. Tomsula then proceeded to mumble and babble nonsensically through the remainder of the questions.

http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Jim-T ... 88a24f76d7

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":28ghd8fy said:
The Tomsula press conference this morning was pretty funny. He admits he did a bad job on his first press conference and that the 49ers have been working hard with him to improve. The 49ers also want him to improve his twitter presence . . . good to hear they have their priorities straight. Tomsula then proceeded to mumble and babble nonsensically through the remainder of the questions.

http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Jim-T ... 88a24f76d7

Shocker.

You still think he's a buffoon. More power to ya I guess.

To me he sounded much more like the guy I was expecting in the first press conference.

He was asked a lot of questions...funny that the PR and Twitter responses were the only ones you noted.

Atradees

Reaction score
Tomsula is the anti douch bag. I like him. Harbaugh is corporate this guy is blue collar worker. Im in.

drdiags

Reaction score
Was a much more coherent press conference. I guess you could chalk up his first one to excitement, lack of sleep and just needing to go through the grinder as a HC for an NFL team versus NFLE experience. Definitely should keep getting his rest, may help 9ers fans sleep a little easier, at least until the bullets start flying.

Maybe it is the mustache but he reminded me of Andy Reid a little. So I wouldn't judge a book by its cover. He could be a deadly, bumbling assassin.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Yep, definitely a much better performance on Tomsula's part, although to be fair, that's not saying much.

While I obviously want Tomsula to be successful because I'm a fan (although I really have my doubts; mostly due to the coordinators he was(n't) able to atrract rather than Tomsula himself), I also kinda want him to be successful just because it would hilarious if he was.

It's interesting in that even if you bracket out all coaching ability as a black box that's fundamentally unknowable before someone gets in the role, we still get some insight into all the extra-coaching factors as to why it's really rare for positional coaches to jump the line be promoted to head coaches.

Tomsula, even if he's an amazing coach, doesn't have any idea how to be the face of the franchise or how to interact with the media. Coordinators basically learn how to get comfortable talking to the media while on the job when the stakes are lower.