Jerry Rice Stickied his Receiving Gloves

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/06/rice-admits-to-illegal-use-of-stickum/[/urltargetblank]

“I know this might be a little illegal, guys, but you put a little spray, a little stickum on them, to make sure that texture is a little sticky,” Rice said, laughing.

It wasn’t a little illegal, it was a lot illegal. As explained in the ESPN feature, gloves were introduced to football after the NFL decided to outlaw the stuff that guys like Fred Biletnikoff and Lester Hayes (pictured) would spread copiously on their hands, and elsewhere. Rice admitted in the feature that he enhanced the surface of gloves approved for use in the NFL with a substance that would make it easier to catch the ball.

djb28

Reaction score
Why would you admit to that? So you can be in the same breath as the Patriots when talking a bout cheats?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jerry, Jerry, Jerry.

Loved the guy as a player, but really wish he would stop talking.

bostonhardo

Reaction score
kidhawk":1r8crrjt said:
[urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/06/rice-admits-to-illegal-use-of-stickum/[/urltargetblank]

“I know this might be a little illegal, guys, but you put a little spray, a little stickum on them, to make sure that texture is a little sticky,” Rice said, laughing.

It wasn’t a little illegal, it was a lot illegal. As explained in the ESPN feature, gloves were introduced to football after the NFL decided to outlaw the stuff that guys like Fred Biletnikoff and Lester Hayes (pictured) would spread copiously on their hands, and elsewhere. Rice admitted in the feature that he enhanced the surface of gloves approved for use in the NFL with a substance that would make it easier to catch the ball.

Asterisk all SF championship. Out of HOF

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Jerry Rice:

1. Talented
2. Hard Working
3. Derpwad

netskier

Reaction score
So Jerry Rice is a cheater. So is Belichick. So is Suh.

Getting Suh means the Seahawks become cheaters. I don't want that dirtbag because I don't want the Seahawks to cheat like Belichick and Jerry Rice.

jkitsune

Reaction score
netskier":amulxs60 said:

Getting Suh means the Seahawks become cheaters. I don't want that dirtbag because I don't want the Seahawks to cheat like Belichick and Jerry Rice.

You're going to catch a lot of flack for this viewpoint, but I, personally, agree.

There's also a small part of me that I don't like to talk about that would quickly forget my objections to Suh if we won multiple Lombardis.

ivotuk

Reaction score
imaho, Jerry Rice is still the greatest WR all time. And Joe Montana is still the greatest QB all time. Brady is close, but the questions about cheating knock him down a bit.

That and the NFL PI, illegal contact, etc.. rules are basically to benefit Tom Brady. Joltin' Joe had no such advantage.

RationalNiner

Reaction score
He needed it. Jerry didn't have the best hands of all time like people make it out to be.

Erebus

Reaction score
Why is cheating so forgivable in football but not baseball? The excuse that "everyone did it" didn't work for steroids. He can't be kicked out of the HOF, but he should never again be talked about when discussing the greatest players of all time.

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
djb28":33xrymmu said:
Why would you admit to that? So you can be in the same breath as the Patriots when talking a bout cheats?

He was making an offhand comment a day prior to deflate-gate arising. Then he had the balls to go after Brady over deflated balls.

Absolutely LOVE this...

Any by the way, Joe Montana, you HAD to know.

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
ivotuk":bisxe4zr said:
imaho, Jerry Rice is still the greatest WR all time. And Joe Montana is still the greatest QB all time. Brady is close, but the questions about cheating knock him down a bit.

But Montana had to know about the stickum, so he was complicit in this cheating. Way to go Joe - another guy who was on Brady's case about an unproven deflated ball issue, when he was an outright cheater himseif.

[not that I think that any of this matters at all competitively, but fair is fair]

Marvin49

Reaction score
RationalNiner":2dyzimth said:
He needed it. Jerry didn't have the best hands of all time like people make it out to be.

....really starting to think this guy is a Seahawks fan on a fake account. He's bashing Jerry here and has a Crabtree avatar.

Right.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Erebus":1ftpcxkx said:
Why is cheating so forgivable in football but not baseball? The excuse that "everyone did it" didn't work for steroids. He can't be kicked out of the HOF, but he should never again be talked about when discussing the greatest players of all time.

Interesting point, football being banned for 4 games is different than baseball being banned for 10 games. They play so many games in baseball that the impact of a punishment is not felt like it is in football. Football revolve around owners and every owner has some level of influence with the league. No owners = no league, it is controlled in a fashion that flags get picked up, suspensions are revoked and so on.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Marvin49":1jr7227o said:
RationalNiner":1jr7227o said:

....really starting to think this guy is a Seahawks fan on a fake account. He's bashing Jerry here and has a Crabtree avatar.

Right.

Well there is a new one. A much needed change from the Niner fan pretending to be a Seahawks fan.

Bashing Jerry? As far as hands go, I would vote Carter over Rice for hands. Largent was like that too. Rice was certainly the best WR of all time because he had it all and he did it forever. I have watched all of those guys play since their rookie years, Rice didn't have the best hands of all time. He did have some of the best.

I can remember the consistency of the passes Rice had too. Time after time Montana hit him perfectly in stride, right in the sweet spot. I would argue that Rice's hands had a lot of help that wasn't related to sticky gloves.

Hawks46

Reaction score
netskier":vp4vm1vz said:

Suh is dirty, but he's not a cheater. I don't remember a single time we've seen him dinged for PED's, breaking rules (not counting on the field conduct related rules) or anything else that can be construed as cheating.

He's a competitor that doesn't have an off switch on the field. I'd love the talent on the team, but not sure I want that karma on it. Then again, we're seeing so much Seahawk hate anyways that we might as well grab a guy that will help us level the league.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Hawks46":35pz2mq7 said:
netskier":35pz2mq7 said:

Suh is dirty, but he's not a cheater. I don't remember a single time we've seen him dinged for PED's, breaking rules (not counting on the field conduct related rules) or anything else that can be construed as cheating.

He's a competitor that doesn't have an off switch on the field. I'd love the talent on the team, but not sure I want that karma on it. Then again, we're seeing so much Seahawk hate anyways that we might as well grab a guy that will help us level the league.

The biggest reason I don't want Suh is suspension related. On some teams the league seems to be minimalistic (new word, me likey) but that never seems to be the case when it involves Seattle. If Suh pulled one of his stunts here a year suspension wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Amazing talent that would likely never play a full season or be there when we needed him most.

RationalNiner

Reaction score
Marvin49":wba4hlep said:
RationalNiner":wba4hlep said:

Right.

A guy I know is making a video of all the drops of Rice in the 92 season and will be making more for different seasons of his. You'll see.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember when stickum was ok..Then guys like Lester Hayes of the Raiders were using so much that it was an unfair advantage..Jerry Rice uses it after its outlawed with "gloves"..Wow ..My outlook on the guy has changed a lot ..He's a cheat just like Barry Bonds and Aroid..How many balls does the guy not catch without it?How many winning tds go away?How many SBs are losses because he can't hang on to the ball in that "super quick slant" he used to do? He is nothing to me now and his records are tainted..Steve Largent moves up a spot or 2 because of this...Marvin you cannot sugarcoat this one man..

Erebus

Reaction score
seahawks08":2evppb6b said:
Erebus":2evppb6b said:

Interesting point, football being banned for 4 games is different than baseball being banned for 10 games. They play so many games in baseball that the impact of a punishment is not felt like it is in football. Football revolve around owners and every owner has some level of influence with the league. No owners = no league, it is controlled in a fashion that flags get picked up, suspensions are revoked and so on.

Actually baseball has 50 and 100 game bans now. And Hall of Fame voters refuse to allow cheaters in.