The likely scenario that lead to deflate-gate

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
The likely scenario that lead to deflate-gate:

1)
i. Patriots underinflate balls by 2 psi knowing the officials virtually never actually inspect the balls for pressure
ii. Patriots turn balls over to NFL officials for "inspection"
iii. NFL officials maybe do an "eye test" but not much else
iv. Officials turn the balls back over to the Pats ball boys for the game
v. When Colts player intercept a pass and feels how soft the ball feels he notifies the official which leads to the bust.

There is no way that the ball boys, players, or coaches, in full view of fans and cameras throughout the stadium, could deflate the balls during the game, especially to exactly 11psi for 11 out of the 12 balls. They would need a gauge plus also likely a pump just in case they deflate the ball to much.

Video would surely catch them attempting to do so on the field.

2) Either the above, or the balls were inflated with warm/hot air to the prescribed psi and then turned over to the officials right before testing time, but I think this is less likely.

I'm sure scenario #1 above is most likely, and I would never be surprised if they've done this for awhile. It sounds like many QBs alter the ball air pressure but no one ever considered they might get caught and called out for it.

NOTE TO BLIND-FAITH PATRIOTS FANS:

just because NFL officials didn't catch the Patriots with underinflated balls before the game doesn't mean they aren't liable after that point. It just means that the officials didn't catch you early...you are still responsible for the pressure of the balls at all times of the game. And there is no doubt that Tom Brady and company had to have known that the balls were underinflated - there is no question that there is a difference in the grip and feel of the ball.

WendellWent

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":3kp9pbie said:
The likely scenario that lead to deflate-gate:

1)
i. Patriots underinflate balls by 2 psi knowing the officials virtually never actually inspect the balls for pressure
ii. Patriots turn balls over to NFL officials for "inspection"
iii. NFL officials maybe do an "eye test" but not much else
iv. Officials turn the balls back over to the Pats ball boys for the game
v. When Colts player intercept a pass and feels how soft the ball feels he notifies the official which leads to the bust.

There is no way that the ball boys, players, or coaches, in full view of fans and cameras throughout the stadium, could deflate the balls during the game, especially to exactly 11psi for 11 out of the 12 balls. They would need a gauge plus also likely a pump just in case they deflate the ball to much.

Video would surely catch them attempting to do so on the field.

2) Either the above, or the balls were inflated with warm/hot air to the prescribed psi and then turned over to the officials right before testing time, but I think this is less likely.

I'm sure scenario #1 above is most likely, and I would never be surprised if they've done this for awhile. It sounds like many QBs alter the ball air pressure but no one ever considered they might get caught and called out for it.

NOTE TO BLIND-FAITH PATRIOTS FANS:

just because NFL officials didn't catch the Patriots with underinflated balls before the game doesn't mean they aren't liable after that point. It just means that the officials didn't catch you early...you are still responsible for the pressure of the balls at all times of the game. And there is no doubt that Tom Brady and company had to have known that the balls were underinflated - there is no question that there is a difference in the grip and feel of the ball.

It is pretty easy to design a needle that has a set pressure gauge to it. All you would need to do is stick the needle in until the air stopped coming out, and it would be whatever pressure you set it to. It would take less than a minute to do 12 balls.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Its so simple. Boston, MIT, Bellichick, custom ball deflating ring made from invisible unobtanium on Bradys throwing hand. Voila 11psi football.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
From what I have heard (can't remember source), it is common practice for the inspection and transfer of the balls to happen well before game time (like hours). It's not like they're handed over immediately before kickoff.

mikeak

Reaction score
The balls are worked on for over 20 minutes per ball out of sight. The ball is scuffed up, wax removed etc. Schleret talked about it yesterday in ESPN.

Now I don't know if that is pre or post weight check

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
mikeak":3cb555hb said:
The balls are worked on for over 20 minutes per ball out of sight. The ball is scuffed up, wax removed etc. Schleret talked about it yesterday in ESPN.

Now I don't know if that is pre or post weight check
They probably just used a regular pump and re-inflated the balls at some point to the illegal pressure when they had them out of sight.