Thank You Seahawks!!!

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Not only have you made my dreams come true by winning SBXLVIII but your're doing it again with the prospect of back to back SB wins with your resurgent defensive efforts in the wake of Wagner's return.

Having said all that it gets even better. With the sweep of the hated Niners this season which will pave the way for Harbaugh's to return to Ann Arbor to coach my other favorite team the UM Wolverines. You may be giddy to see the Hawks not only knock him out of the playoffs but also out of the NFL because you hate him. Yes he can be a whiney bitch but he's also, like him or not, a pretty good football coach who's skills are better suited for the NCAA than the NFL.

The Wolverines need him in order to have any hope of returning to their former glory. College players respond better to his Bo Schembechler style of coaching and he won't run the risk of losing a locker room like he did in Santa Clara.

So thank you again Seahawks for making my Christmas and I'm sure Steve Schilling (avatar) thanks you too.

Largent80

Reaction score
Since he is under contract the 9ers would have to terminate it for him to be available. I am thinking they want to trade him for picks / cash to another NFL team.

This maybe should have been in the NFL forum or NCAA forum though.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Largent80":kw8gbegu said:
Since he is under contract the 9ers would have to terminate it for him to be available. I am thinking they want to trade him for picks / cash to another NFL team.

This maybe should have been in the NFL forum or NCAA forum though.

Sorry about this being in the wrong forum.

Yes the Niners will maintain their rights to Jim for trade value but everyone knows Jim is done in Santa Clara. He's worn out his welcome with the players and the FO. If he goes to the NCAA the Niners have no authority over that decision.

Marvin49

Reaction score
He's not going to Michigan.

Sorry man. He may very well leave SF, but there is no way he'll leave the NFL to go back to college. Its not in his character to give up on the NFL level.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Marvin49":37lcjw87 said:

Sorry man. He may very well leave SF, but there is no way he'll leave the NFL to go back to college. Its not in his character to give up on the NFL level.

I tend to agree with you, but if he does leave for college I don't look at it as him giving up on the NFL. He is young enough to come back at some point.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Marvin49":31mjgct1 said:

There is no way any of us knows for sure what Harbaugh is going to do. However if Jim were so certain he was going to return to the NFL why would he string his Alma Mater along? UM hasn't made any other substantive inquiries into any other candidates at this point. Only some precursory feelers at this point. That sure seems like smoke to me and when there is smoke there's usually fire. There are many reports from unconfirmed sources with ties to the UM AD's office indicating there is a very serious possibility he takes the job. Not to mention his time in Santa Clara clearly indicates that Jim's style doesn't work in the NFL as well as it does in the NCAA.

Marvin49

Reaction score
bigtrain21":ghycfyz2 said:
Marvin49":ghycfyz2 said:

I tend to agree with you, but if he does leave for college I don't look at it as him giving up on the NFL. He is young enough to come back at some point.

For sure, but he everytime he's moved he's moved UP in level of competition. He'll have NFL teams after him if he's traded or fired.

Either way, he'll have opportunities. I can't see him forgoing the NFL to go back to college...and especially not to move his family to Michigan. The main reason people think he'll coach the Raiders is geography. His wife doesn't want to move the family.

Between Stanford and SF, they've been here for 8+ years.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SeaWolv":180vnt90 said:
Marvin49":180vnt90 said:

There is no way any of us knows for sure what Harbaugh is going to do. However if Jim were so certain he was going to return to the NFL why would he string his Alma Mater along? UM hasn't made any other substantive inquiries into any other candidates at this point. Only some precursory feelers at this point. That sure seems like smoke to me and when there is smoke there's usually fire. There are many reports from unconfirmed sources with ties to the UM AD's office indicating there is a very serious possibility he takes the job. Not to mention his time in Santa Clara clearly indicates that Jim's style doesn't work in the NFL as well as it does in the NCAA.

Dunno where you are getting that, but what I heard was that he'd already told Michigan he wasn't a candidate for the job.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Marvin49":2lff1prb said:
SeaWolv":2lff1prb said:
Marvin49":2lff1prb said:

Dunno where you are getting that, but what I heard was that he'd already told Michigan he wasn't a candidate for the job.

That was a bogus story from CBS that was debunked several days ago. Also there are recent reports indicating the Raiders are considering a return to LA. That doesn't exactly line up with his keeping the family together plan in the Bay Area.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SeaWolv":1yzc0j02 said:
Marvin49":1yzc0j02 said:
SeaWolv":1yzc0j02 said:
Marvin49":1yzc0j02 said:

That was a bogus story from CBS that was debunked several days ago.

Ah.

We'll see. Of course you are right and nobody knows for sure, but I've watched Harbaugh for 8 years now and I'd be stunned if he went back to the college ranks. His goal all along was to be an NFL coach. Just like his brother.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
To be totally honest I think it's more likely that Harbaugh is coaching the 9ers next year than the Wolverines, and that's not a small statement. I'd put money on it even (although it would be a wash b/c I seriously doubt he's coaching either team),

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score

Ah.

We'll see. Of course you are right and nobody knows for sure, but I've watched Harbaugh for 8 years now and I'd be stunned if he went back to the college ranks. His goal all along was to be an NFL coach. Just like his brother.

I've been following Jim since 1983 when he was a Wolverine. Jim refers to Bo as his mentor and role model. He grew up around Bo and the Michigan program. He's passionate, he's feisty, he's loyal and he loves his players and the game of football much like Bo did. His brand of love is a hard nosed kind of love. He's an ass kicker and a fierce competitor. His style doesn't work with million dollar salaried prima donna NFL players. They want to be treated as equals and that is not how Jim works. His coaching style works brilliantly with NCAA players. You don't have those kids long enough for your message to get stale. They'll look at his resume and be in awe. They'll run through walls for him. NFL players could care less what he did before the NFL. John has a very different temperament than Jim so his coaching style is very different.

The NFL will always be there for him but the UM job may not. NFL isn't necessarily "better" than the NCAA it's just different.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SeaWolv":2hhtgs3v said:

Ah.

I've been following Jim since 1983 when he was a Wolverine. Jim refers to Bo as his mentor and role model. He grew up around Bo and the Michigan program. He's passionate, he's feisty, he's loyal and he loves his players and the game of football much like Bo did. His brand of love is a hard nosed kind of love. He's an ass kicker and a fierce competitor. His style doesn't work with million dollar salaried prima donna NFL players. They want to be treated as equals and that is not how Jim works. His coaching style works brilliantly with NCAA players. You don't have those kids long enough for your message to get stale. They'll look at his resume and be in awe. They'll run through walls for him. NFL players could care less what he did before the NFL. John has a very different temperament than Jim so his coaching style is very different.

The NFL will always be there for him but the UM job may not. NFL isn't necessarily "better" than the NCAA it's just different.

I know all about his affinity for Bo. He's said in interviews the only persons he would trust more are his father and god.

This ain't about that though.

Personally, outside of the fact that it would ruin any trade possibility for the 49ers, I'd LOVE to see Harbaugh in the college ranks again. Why? I don't want to see him on the OTHER sideline in an NFL game.

IE, I'm not saying this because I have something against him going to Michigan. It would be my preference if he has to leave SF.

I just don't see it though.

Jim wants to be a pro coach. Period. Every move he made was in that effort. From his first coaching job with the Raiders to USD to Stanford to SF...its all about being a pro coach and get the ring he didn't get as a player.

All that you are saying about Harbaugh as a college coach...most of that is probably true (tho don't say that to Richard Sherman or Doug Baldwin), but that ain't how Jim thinks. All that stuff makes sense from the MICHIGAN perspective, but not from his.

Leaving the NFL to go back to college is in effect sating the NFL beat him. Jim won't have that. I love the guy as a coach, but he competes with people to see who can walk down the hall faster. Its in his blood.

Anything can happen so I'm not gonna say 100% that he won't go to Michigan, but I'd be very, very, VERY surprised if he does...Particularly with the wealth of NFL jobs that would be available to him.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
lets say the 9ers do let Harbaugh go...

What NFL jobs do we see as open next year, and are any of them better than Michigan?

Largent80

Reaction score
There once was a coach in the NFL that went back to college coaching, won several championships and then returned to the NFL, and won a superbowl.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Marvin49":y9v9jbtp said:
SeaWolv":y9v9jbtp said:
I know all about his affinity for Bo. He's said in interviews the only persons he would trust more are his father and god.

This ain't about that though.

Personally, outside of the fact that it would ruin any trade possibility for the 49ers, I'd LOVE to see Harbaugh in the college ranks again. Why? I don't want to see him on the OTHER sideline in an NFL game.

IE, I'm not saying this because I have something against him going to Michigan. It would be my preference if he has to leave SF.

I just don't see it though.

Jim wants to be a pro coach. Period. Every move he made was in that effort. From his first coaching job with the Raiders to USD to Stanford to SF...its all about being a pro coach and get the ring he didn't get as a player.

All that you are saying about Harbaugh as a college coach...most of that is probably true (tho don't say that to Richard Sherman or Doug Baldwin), but that ain't how Jim thinks. All that stuff makes sense from the MICHIGAN perspective, but not from his.

Leaving the NFL to go back to college is in effect sating the NFL beat him. Jim won't have that. I love the guy as a coach, but he competes with people to see who can walk down the hall faster. Its in his blood.

Anything can happen so I'm not gonna say 100% that he won't go to Michigan, but I'd be very, very, VERY surprised if he does...Particularly with the wealth of NFL jobs that would be available to him.

Ahh but it is about that and more. It's about preserving Bo's legacy. It's about saving your Alma Mater. It's about whether Jim really wants to make the coaching style changes he needs to in order to win it all. Can Jim change to become more like the Pete Carroll? Pete Carroll is the model for what it takes to be a successful NFL coach. I don't think Jim has that in him right now. It's not admitting he failed. He took his team to the NFCCG for the first 3 years in the league. No other coach has done that. But the NFL is about managing egos and FO politics. That is not Jim's forte. Jim is a straight shooter, 100% accountability, call it like it is kind of guy that can rub people the wrong way. Look what Pete did. He started in the NCAA, went to the NFL, left to go back to the NCAA then came back to the NFL and was wildly successful. There is a precedent. Maybe Jim is finally wising up to the example that is Pete Carroll. I think Pete Carroll is an incredible coach and leader and I hate what some boosters did in the USC program to taint his image.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Uncle Si":25tfwt39 said:

What NFL jobs do we see as open next year, and are any of them better than Michigan?

Where is the precedent for successful NFL coaches who have the option to stay in the NFL choosing to return to college? I can't think of a single one. Add to that the Wolverines having really taken a hit in their prestige in the last eight years, , and that Harbaugh's family wants to stay in the Bay Area.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I can't think of a SINGLE REASON why Harbaugh would prefer coaching the Wolverines over the Raiders. Add in that it has been reported that the Raiders and Harbaugh are mutually interested in each other and beyond the delusions of Michigan alums I don't even see why this is worth talking about.

For which reasons is Harbaugh going to do what nobody has done before him?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Largent80":2x4lf9yr said:
There once was a coach in the NFL that went back to college coaching, won several championships and then returned to the NFL, and won a superbowl.

....And he went back to college coaching because on his first try at NFL coaching he flamed out, and was only offered coordinator jobs at the NFL level.

If NFL teams are only interested in Harbaugh as a coordinator I could definitely see him going back to college, but I don't think ANYONE thinks that's the case because unlike Pete on his first go around, Harbaugh has been successful.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1s5aozi0 said:
Uncle Si":1s5aozi0 said:

Where is the precedent for successful NFL coaches who have the option to stay in the NFL choosing to return to college? I can't think of a single one. Add to that the Wolverines having really taken a hit in their prestige in the last eight years, , and that Harbaugh's family wants to stay in the Bay Area.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I can't think of a SINGLE REASON why Harbaugh would prefer coaching the Wolverines over the Raiders. Add in that it has been reported that the Raiders and Harbaugh are mutually interested in each other and beyond the delusions of Michigan alums I don't even see why this is worth talking about.

For which reasons is Harbaugh going to do what nobody has done before him?

Pete Carrol is the precendent. Look it up. NCAA, NFL, NCAA then NFL again. Same thing were talking about here.

There was a report just 2 days ago that there is talk about once again relocating the Raiders to LA/SC area. That doesn't exactly lend itself to keeping him and his family in the Bay Area. Not to mention the Raiders are one of the worst organizations in football right now.

As far as mutual interest there really can't be any this point because it's against NFL tampering rules for the Raiders and Harbaugh to even be talking about anything regarding a coaching vacancy in Oakland. Not to mention that the Niners don't want Harbaugh across the bay in the same media market they want him far away so they're PR doesn't take a hit. They'll most likely trade his rights away to another NFL franchise far away which will once again work against his plans to keep him and his family in the bay area. The Niners can afford to go for maximum value since it's not costing them cap space.

You not thinking Harbaugh cares enough about Bo's legacy and UM to consider coaching there is misguided.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1mtz9kya said:
Largent80":1mtz9kya said:

....And he went back to college coaching because on his first try at NFL coaching he flamed out, and was only offered coordinator jobs at the NFL level.

If NFL teams are only interested in Harbaugh as a coordinator I could definitely see him going back to college, but I don't think ANYONE thinks that's the case because unlike Pete on his first go around, Harbaugh has been successful.

I wouldn't consider taking the Patriots to back to back playoff appearances in your 3 years as coach with a divisional title to show for it a flame out. The problem there was any coach following Parcells was going to be judged on a very harsh scale because of the success Parcells had taking them to their first playoff game in history and then their first championship in SBXXXI then leaving abruptly.