Question to non-49er fans

RationalNiner

Reaction score
Why are we universally the most hated team of our division rivals? The Rams, I kind of understand, but even then, the battle of the west through some of the 2000s was mainly between the Rams and the Hawks. You ask a Rams fan and they mainly hate us. You ask a Seahawks fan, they generally us the most. You ask a cardinals fan and they generally hate us the most.

Why? Is it the fans or is it the fact the SF was once a dynasty during the Walsh/Seifert years? I've actually never bothered reading many of the forums of opposing teams, but do niner fans somehow come across as more annoying online than other fans?

Marvin49

Reaction score
RationalNiner":3d48t5j2 said:
Why are we universally the most hated team of our division rivals? The Rams, I kind of understand, but even then, the battle of the west through some of the 2000s was mainly between the Rams and the Hawks. You ask a Rams fan and they mainly hate us. You ask a Seahawks fan, they generally us the most. You ask a cardinals fan and they generally hate us the most.

Why? Is it the fans or is it the fact the SF was once a dynasty during the Walsh/Seifert years? Just curious why? I've actually never bothered reading many of the forums of opposing teams, but do niner fans somehow come across as more annoying online than other fans?

Speaking honestly (and I know you weren't directing it at me), I think its not the success they hate. Its 49er fans beating them over the head with that success from 20-30 years ago....especially the ones who weren't even fans when the team was winning.

I can't blame them. I hate that argument too...which is why I don't use it.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Marv has it pretty much spot on and really there's not much to add to his analysis except to say the people he describe have this incredibly annoying sense of entitlement as well......from championships won in the 80s and early 90s.

And for me, there's also the element of living in the Portland area and seeing like 25-35% of football fans here rooting for the Whiners when the Hawks ought to be the 'home team'. I know it's mostly just jealousy over "big brother' Seattle having a team and Portland not having one, but it sticks in my craw none the less.

Erebus

Reaction score
I agree with what was said about bringing up old championships. It's annoying. But I'd also like to point out that we didn't really have a rival in the 2000s. The Rams beat us three times in 2004, but not again until 2010. The Cardinals have given us the toughest games since we joined the division, but their fans aren't annoying.

candyman4881

Reaction score
My hatred goes back to my first live NFL game when the Niners killed the Rams in St. Louis in 1995 (first year in St Louis) and Ken Norton Jr. punched out the goalpost padding.....

Also, the 49ers and Rams are original NFC West teams as the Cardinals and Seahawks didn't come until 2002

homerun1970

Reaction score
The rings argument which presently is being brought up in the shack. The webzone with their wishing of injuries or worse. The fact the many act like their history started with Joe and Jerry etc and look down on the Hawks for taking years to get a championship.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
homerun1970":3ircypb2 said:
.........The fact the many act like their history started with Joe and Jerry etc and look down on the Hawks for taking years to get a championship.
Yeah this too. The franchise started out in the All-America Conference in I believe, 1945 and was one of three teams absorbed by the NFL in 1950 (Browns and Colts). Their first championship of any kind was won in 1981 meaning it took 36 seasons to get the first one while it took the Hawks 38. Not exactly a huge difference.

(all of this is off the top of my head so numbers may be slightly off but I'm very close)

-The Glove-

Reaction score
It's the fans for me...growing up I didn't know any Niners fans. All of the sudden on FB, every one who has some claim to the Bay Area wants to claim they're a Niners faithful

Jville

Reaction score
Outside of some exceptions, there is an ugly arrogance and sense of entitlement among most 49er fans. Their condescending air of arrogance and contempt is dismissive of all other cultures.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Jville":1xwxw3qg said:
Outside of some exceptions, there is an ugly arrogance and sense of entitlement among most 49er fans. Their condescending air of arrogance and contempt is dismissive of all other cultures.
And let me give you a perfect example of exactly what Jville is talking about...........

I have a friend I've worked with and socialized with for the last 8 years or so who is a huge Frisco fan. Yesterday he was obviously watching the Hawks/Eagles game and after Sherman broke up a pass and was waving at the Philly crowd mocking them because they were booing him, my friends texts me and says "I love Sherman's bravado, but he holds more than any DB in the league". Really? So rather than argue, I just say "If you insist", because what's the point of saying otherwise.

First of all, I know damned good and well he doesn't admire Sherman's bravado, he hates the guy as a player as does pretty much every fan of other teams around the league. He's the kind of guy that you love if he plays on your team and hate if he doesn't. Regardless though, he's one of the best and therein lies my rub. On countless occasions I've said to him and other Frisco fans and on threads on this site "Navarro Bowman is a great LB" or "Aldon Smith is a great football player" or "Frank Gore is really, really good", etc. with NO qualifiers. Yet he can't give a Seahawk credit without a qualifier thus denigrating Sherman's abilities and level of play in an underhanded, passive/aggressive fashion. It's this type of arrogance and contempt of anything Seahawk that also REALLY rubs me the wrong way too.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Pure and simple, for me it's Kaepernick. I remember seeing an interview with him during the draft process, when the Hawks were in need of a future QB, and he was such a smug douchebag. I posted on here that if the Hawks took him, it would be the one thing that could test my fandom. I don't think I could have ever brought myself to cheer for him and his tiny, stupid head, with his big dumb ears tucked into his douchey flat bill cap.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Every Niner fan that I know personally, is a fine human being despite their choice of teams to root for. Why I hate the team/fans? Snakeplisken, Young2Rice, etc. (see webzone)

Kraeperdink doesn't help their case either...

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
For me, it was always cause they were the toughest rival and (some of) the fans...

Born in the bay area, frequent the bay area, love the bay area, and know a lot of 49ers/Raiders fans. Not everyone is bad, most people in a fan base are alright, but there's always those few that spoil the bunch. Seems like the bay area has just a few more spoiled ones.

NorCalHawk12

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2a0udbcq said:
Marvin49":2a0udbcq said:
Speaking honestly (and I know you weren't directing it at me), I think its not the success they hate. Its 49er fans beating them over the head with that success from 20-30 years ago....especially the ones who weren't even fans when the team was winning.

I can't blame them. I hate that argument too...which is why I don't use it.

This...

When we joined the NFC West there wasn't much outside of the ESPN forums and a few other football message boards.

Rams fans said : "Welcome Seattle, we look forward to a great rivalry."
Cardinals fans said: "Welcome to the NFC West, gonna be great to square off against you."

49ers fans: "Ha ha, I can't believe they gave us another easy opponent to roll over. Such losers! Get ready to be our bitches like the rest of the division. Bow down and kiss our five rings.. you have no football pedigree, you are in Alaska - you're a joke!"

And that's all we heard. The arrogance, the smug sneering superiority, as if everyone was supposed to eat their shit and like it. I went from the 49ers always being my second team to just despising them. We expected wine and cheese club, classy 49er fans and we got a bunch of trailer trash gang banging stabby little smack talkers who can't get through a single football discussion without making a homophobic or misogynistic comment - and all the while their team was consistently ceding the division to our team, they were constantly running their mouths - as if they were too stupid to notice that Joe Cool was no longer their QB and they weren't the dominant team in the division anymore.

So technically it's a hatred created by the lower rungs of the 49er fanbase - who just happened to be the most vocal.
Again, to quote peaches..."The team and their fans are all dicks"

BASF

Reaction score
candyman4881":3hr5tl9w said:
Also, the 49ers and Rams are original NFC West teams as the Cardinals and Seahawks didn't come until 2002

The Seahawks started in the NFC West in 1976.

Chawks1

Reaction score
For me it has nothing to do with the past Championships. That all happened before we were in the NFC West. Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Bill Walsh, Ronnie Lott, Debartalo et al were phenonimal.....loved those teams.... I was rooting for Steve Young to get over the hump and win his first Super Bowl, great guy that deserved the success.

But this ownership and coaching isn't anywhere near what was in the past. It began with Harbaugh. He is an easy target for obvious reasons. Kapernick makes it a close second. He gets no respect from me because of the way he represents himself. He and Manzel are similar in that way. And their fans have the biggest mouths here in E.WA.

But having this divide has made us a better team. I enjoy the rivalry/hatred. I would be disappointed if Harboaugh leaves. PC and he go way back.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
RationalNiner":1i0kvv4g said:
Why are we universally the most hated team of our division rivals?
Your fan base has used "Five rings!!!!111oneone" as a response to literally anything and everything someone says that they don't like and has displayed more overall douchebaggery and blind homerism than the Pittsburgh, Dallas, and Green Bay fan bases combined over the course of many years.

It's a no-brainer, and I'm not even kidding. Don't ever wonder about this question.

Maulbert

Reaction score
I could do without Niner fans expecting me to kiss Harbaugh and Kaepernick's asses for stuff that Bill Walsh and Joe Montana did. Got nothing but respect for Joe Cool. Class act. When I see s**t like this:

WeveGot5

I just want to throw up. I thought it was really foolish for Jerry Rice to expect "Respect for the Rings" when almost no ties remain to those rings inside the organization. Niners haven't won jack squat in Santa Clara, or with this squad. Nothing but respect for Walsh, Montana, Rice, and Young. But the buck stops there.

irocdave

Reaction score
Cant add anything more than what has already been said. It isn't the team it's the fan base. I like the niners team except for the coach and the QB's juvenile parroting of the head coach Douchebag. Karma is a bitch niner fans. Remember that next time your team is relevant.