Patrick Willis headed to IR...

Marvin49

Reaction score
Just one of those years man. Damn.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk · 6m6 minutes ago
49ers LB Patrick Willis headed to IR, per @MaioccoCSN http://wp.me/p14QSB-9CVM

Thankfully Borland had been really good and Navorro might return to practice this week...but DAMN, that hurts. Pat is the heart and soul.

James in PA

Reaction score
Huge injury blows for the Hawks Niners and Cards this week. As if things weren't already interesting enough in this division...

kidhawk

Reaction score
James in PA":15skapoo said:
Huge injury blows for the Hawks Niners and Cards this week. As if things weren't already interesting enough in this division...

Yea, big hits to all three NFC West contenders.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
That sucks. I really respect Willis, he's a great player. Hate to see those guys go down for the year. All the NFC West teams have been beat up this year!

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
To be honest, Chris Borland might be better than Willis on a bad toe right now (obviously not when Willis healthy), but it still hurts.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Man nobody in the NFC West can escape the injury bug. Not one team is remotely healthy but that's football you just got to roll with what you have and next man up.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
45Hawker":41d3s679 said:
Borland was a BEAST against the Saints.

17 tackles and fumble recovery....

....after 18 tackles vs Rams.

According to PFF, he's the best ILB in the NFL since week 6.

Lightning quick in small areas, but really slow if he has to run far. Not close to Pat in terms of athleticism, but very good player.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
None of the NFC West teams will be able to claim injuries are the reason they missed the playoffs, that's for sure.

ringless

Reaction score
Borland is going to be a great player! always around the ball on every play

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Huge loss for the 49ers. Borland was one of those guys I wanted the Seahawks to get in last draft. He's playing really well. Borland, Brooks, Bowman, and Willis when they're all healthy. That's arguably the best starting LB corps in the league.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3jf9t8hq said:
Huge loss for the 49ers. Borland was one of those guys I wanted the Seahawks to get in last draft. He's playing really well. Borland, Brooks, Bowman, and Willis when they're all healthy. That's arguably the best starting LB corps in the league.

You are missing one.

Aldon Smith. :D

My guess is Brooks is gone after the year so next years starting 4 will likely be...

Aldon Smith, Navorro Bowman, Patrick Willis, Aaron Lynch

...and Borland the first guy off bench and heir apparent for Willis.

Interesting tho...some peeps have said here that they though Pat might be losing a step. He said today it was because this toe has been bothering him for years so this could make him "better than ever" next year.

May or may not come to fruition, but it does take the sting off just a bit.

Also another not so good note...there is a report that Navorro is still feeling pain in the knee. If so...Niners might be as at full strength now as they will be all season.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
I have been telling my Niners fan friends that they shouldn't put too much weight on Bowman contributing. That was one hellacious knee injury to come back from. Wishin him the best, but time will tell

Popeyejones

Reaction score
James in PA":1iqnydr7 said:
Huge injury blows for the Hawks Niners and Cards this week.

Mebane is a good player for you guys, but you just can't put him in the same class of losses as Willis and Palmer. Willis has been to eight pro-bowls in eight years and Palmer is a QB.

I'd say it's like comparing the loss of Ray McDonald to the loss of Sherman or Thomas (which would be ridiculous), but even that's probably an overstatement as Mebane was only playing less than 50% of downs for you guys anyways (McDonald plays 72% of downs -- even if they're comparable players Mebane simply sees the field less).

As far as losses this weekend goes, just by virtue of the position he plays Palmer is far and away the biggest loss. He's followed by Willis by a large margin, and then Mebane by an equally large or greater margin, IMO.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Popeyejones":ymywd9e0 said:
James in PA":ymywd9e0 said:
Huge injury blows for the Hawks Niners and Cards this week.

Mebane is a good player for you guys, but you just can't put him in the same class of losses as Willis and Palmer. Willis has been to eight pro-bowls in eight years and Palmer is a QB.

I'd say it's like comparing the loss of Ray McDonald to the loss of Sherman or Thomas (which would be ridiculous), but even that's probably an overstatement as Mebane was only playing less than 50% of downs for you guys anyways (McDonald plays 72% of downs -- even if they're comparable players Mebane simply sees the field less).

As far as losses this weekend goes, just by virtue of the position he plays Palmer is far and away the biggest loss. He's followed by Willis by a large margin, and then Mebane by an equally large or greater margin, IMO.
Dude just stop

homerun1970

Reaction score
I love how the Niner fans tell a Seahawks board what we can or cant do. Mebane is a very unsung part of Seattle's defense. The stats about rushing differential being the best since the 1939 bears someone else put up that wont happen without him in the middle. I see people rave about the back up to Willis ,we don't have that depth at Mebane's spot. The loss is going to hurt.
Sorry to see the loss of any players and the NFC West is hugely snakebit at present.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
homerun1970":q5zy4ii4 said:
I love how the Niner fans tell a Seahawks board what we can or cant do. Mebane is a very unsung part of Seattle's defense. The stats about rushing differential being the best since the 1939 bears someone else put up that wont happen without him in the middle. I see people rave about the back up to Willis ,we don't have that depth at Mebane's spot. The loss is going to hurt.
Sorry to see the loss of any players and the NFC West is hugely snakebit at present.

On the surface, I'd agree with Popeye that the loss of Mebane isn't the equal of a loss like Willis.

However, I think the real question is the difference between the lost player and his replacement if you are going to discuss how impactful the loss is.

So far, Borland has been a monster. There hasn't been much of a dropoff in run support and a small dropoff in coverage. I'm not even sure who will be replacing Mebane so I can't say how big a dropoff that would be. I'd have to depend on you guys to tell me that.

pehawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":kk4bpseq said:
homerun1970":kk4bpseq said:

On the surface, I'd agree with Popeye that the loss of Mebane isn't the equal of a loss like Willis.

However, I think the real question is the difference between the lost player and his replacement if you are going to discuss how impactful the loss is.

So far, Borland has been a monster. There hasn't been much of a dropoff in run support and a small dropoff in coverage. I'm not even sure who will be replacing Mebane so I can't say how big a dropoff that would be. I'd have to depend on you guys to tell me that.

Exactly...Willis is expendable now. Borland's beyond a beast.

You owe me a few non 49er or Seahawks related topics now Marvin49. Come on pookie, do your part.