Marcus Lattimore to retire (report)

hawknation2014

Reaction score
That's terrible to hear. On the other hand, for a guy who had multiple ACL tears in both knees while in college, he made about a million dollars without playing a down. I wonder why he's retiring when he could have continued cashing 49er checks.

Brahn

Reaction score
Made the money and had top of the line medical care and physical therapy most of us could only dream of. I wish we got to see him on the field, but I am sure he is in a position still to succeed in life.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Lattimore is such a good kid. he will do well in his next life and I certainly wish him success.

I will also take this time to say that I was wrong in wanting Lattimore over Michael (if both were going to sit a year). All considered, I felt Lattimore had better value considering their draft spots, intelligence, attitude, etc. I guess we won with Michael...which is much like winning the gold at the special Olympics (*thus far).

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Such a horrible injury to such an amazing talent. Was really disappointed to see that he was contemplating retirement.

Sports just isn't fair.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Yeah...its a major bummer.

I've been looking forward to seeing him in action for a year and a half.

Last week was supposed to be the first week of his comeback. He rejoined practice for the first time and they were trying to put together kinda like a Training Camp for the next three weeks to get him ready to play late in the season.

He was able to practice on back to back days and then something happened and he didn't practice on Fri.

He is supposedly going to talk with his family and discuss hanging them up. His confidence is really shot. I for one hope that he decides to stick it out and spend the rest of the year on IR.

Perhaps not so coincidentally, the 49ers resigned Kendall Hunter to a one year deal.

HawkWow

Reaction score
He should have a chat with U-Dub's Deontae Cooper about confidence and mental anguish. Coop could probably write a paper, or perform such surgeries on himself, in his garage. Even though a 9er, I really looked forward to seeing Lattimore carry the ball. When you guys drafted Hyde, I was instantly reminded of Mack and Byner.

Fortunately Lattimore actually studied in school and doesn't remind me of a kid that went out buying exotic toys with his NFL money. He will be fine. The 9ers? Who knows? But I will say here I totally feel you guys were burned yesterday. The rules committee needs to take a long, hard look at this "inconclusive" BS umbrella protecting the opinions of kneejerk, inept refs, imo.

GCrow

Reaction score
Really unfortunate. Another example why you always go pro as soon as you can.

chris98251

Reaction score
Condolences 49ers, classy way you tried to get him back down there and supported him.

kearly

Reaction score
IIRC, only 2 of his 555 collegiate carries went more than 27 yards. Something like that. I was actually glad the 49ers drafted him, because on the very low chance he could stay healthy, he wouldn't be the kind of knifing scat back that would give Pete's run defense trouble, but instead be more in the Alfred Morris / Eddie Lacy mold. The kind of RB Seattle dominates.

Lattimore the person had me feeling a little nervous about the pick though. He has a Russell Wilson type drive to him, something you rarely see in a RB.

NINEster

Reaction score
kearly":3rjit6od said:
IIRC, only 2 of his 555 collegiate carries went more than 27 yards. Something like that. I was actually glad the 49ers drafted him, because on the very low chance he could stay healthy, he wouldn't be the kind of knifing scat back that would give Pete's run defense trouble, but instead be more in the Alfred Morris / Eddie Lacy mold. The kind of RB Seattle dominates.

Lattimore the person had me feeling a little nervous about the pick though. He has a Russell Wilson type drive to him, something you rarely see in a RB.

I thought I also saw you mention that Lattimore would be a good Gore clone/fit for the 49er offense back when he was drafted.

Once upon a time Gore gave Seahawk defense fits, no?

Do you remember when Gore singlehandedly beat the Hawks in 2012, Thursday Night?

Even I wasn't expecting that.

Exittium

Reaction score
NINEster":6bj4fjzx said:
kearly":6bj4fjzx said:

I thought I also saw you mention that Lattimore would be a good Gore clone/fit for the 49er offense back when he was drafted.

Do you remember when Gore singlehandedly beat the Hawks in 2012, Thursday Night?

Livin in the past :stirthepot: :th2thumbs:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
NINEster":2dveoc2r said:
kearly":2dveoc2r said:

no. you remember it all wrong.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Exittium":142v18tm said:
NINEster":142v18tm said:
kearly":142v18tm said:

Livin in the past :stirthepot: :th2thumbs:
Whiner fan. That's what they do.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1rjva8yd said:
NINEster":1rjva8yd said:

no. you remember it all wrong.

Didn't Obo lead us in receiving that game? *shudders*

kearly

Reaction score
NINEster":2emlu6eq said:

Regarding 2012, no.

Regarding the Gore comp, I'm pretty sure that's wrong as well. I've compared Robert Turbin and Carlos Hyde to Gore, though. My comps for Lattimore were Knowshon Moreno and Willis McGahee at the time that he was drafted.

Also, a comparison doesn't mean I expect a player to have that kind of career, only that they were similar players coming out of college.

HawkWow

Reaction score
kearly":1cjt31wv said:
NINEster":1cjt31wv said:

Regarding 2012, no.

Regarding the Gore comp, I'm pretty sure that's wrong as well. I've compared Robert Turbin and Carlos Hyde to Gore, though. My comps for Lattimore were Knowshon Moreno and Willis McGahee at the time that he was drafted.

Also, a comparison doesn't mean I expect a player to have that kind of career, only that they were similar players coming out of college.

The McGahee comparison works on too many levels. I hope McGahee is another guy he speaks with before hanging them up for good. Talk about a tough and determined SOB.