Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Rams @ 49ers 39-10, expert feedback wanted

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • This is an invitation for expert fans of these teams or of the game to discuss specifically how the meltdown today occurred.

It is not a surprise that the 49ers lost. I did not watch the whole game, but what I saw just seems like "boink! Another turnover!" combined with ER as more players become injured.

How many 49ers starters remain active? Is there merit in pulling CJB for Mullens, or is the poor play a function of injury-wide collapse, poor coaching, something else?

As far as Rams, they're 7-0. What vulnerabilities DO they have?
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Starter

• Turnovers, -16 turnover margin for the season and 5 turnovers vs the rams. Other than injuries that's been the story of the season
    SF49r
    NET Veteran

• Boils down to this for me.

Right now, Rams are ALOT better. More talent all over the roster. There is a reason they are now 7-0.

Better at QB, Better at RB, better at WR, Better at O-Line, better a D-Line, better at DB

About the only place the Niners have an advantage is LB.

Still, the Niners could have won that game if they didn't make errors...and they made ALOT. I mean, ALOT.

CJ is a turnover machine. EIGHT in 3 games. He fumbles and he throws late. He holds the ball and he gets sacked. I keep hearing how tough he is be he is his own worst enemy. There are times he makes a great play, but he hold the ball way too long and throws late all the time.

Some of his INTs have been of the "great defensive play" variety, but he's got some Alex Smith in him...IE, he waits too long to throw, the defender starts to break, and routine cathes become contested catches and bad stuff happens.

Its not all CJ tho. So many errors. So many injuries. They needed to play perfect to have a chance. They didn't. It wasn't close. End of story.

Rams are better.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Rams are a talented and have solid coaching. This Rams team is going to the playoffs and will be one and done. I marked this as a HUGE loss. With a solid D and a effective offense the Rams will fail (broncos game with a joke QB) Besides Donald and Suh their D is average. I am still not sold of Goff.

Anyways. My Niners are a shit show without their starting

QB
    RB
    CB

And half of the damn team looking like a fricken mash unit. With Jimmy in this would have been a very different game. Possibly still a loss but a different game. He process info light years faster that captain corn field Beathard. CJ process info like an 3year old trying to do Trig.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• The 49ers have the right coaches in place, they just have been decimated by injuries.

Long term wise for them I question whether they can build a championship level defense.

It is a lost year due to the QB going down. Wins are irrelevant for them the remainder of the season.

Lynch has to come up with a couple of blue chip players in the upcoming draft, and Jimmy G has to stay healthy for 16 games.

Shanny & Lynch took over the Cleveland Browns West, the turnaround wasn't going to happen overnight.

When a team bottoms out like the Niners have, it usually takes 5 years to climb out of the abyss.

This is year 2.

3 more to go.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• I was watching the game today at a bar, and I had a realization - if you take the 9ers QB name and split it by syllables it's " Beat hard"., And that's a terrible name for a QB...
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• GeekHawk wrote:I was watching the game today at a bar, and I had a realization - if you take the 9ers QB name and split it by syllables it's " Beat hard"., And that's a terrible name for a QB...

If you take the QB’s name and replace it with nearly any other currently starting QB in in the league right now they are 3-3. That kid has turned the ball over more than Bubba turns out fresh fish in the penitentiary.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• I was pleasantly surprised with the defense yesterday. Finally played up to the potential.

People will say the Niners have injuries, and look at their record, and blah blah blah. Same shit people have done to the Rams all year - who have we beat?

Well, the Niners have played @Minnesota, KC, LA Chargers and Packers - 2.5 of those games were QB'd by Beathard - and then home games against the Cardinals, Lions and now the Rams - and we handed them by far their worst loss of the season. They had legitimate chances to beat both the Chargers and Packers on the road with Beathard.

Not only that, but the Rams did this playing our third consecutive road game - and while this was still in the state of CA, it's not like LA and SF are all that close. And on top of that, the offense didn't play very well.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

• rlkats wrote:Rams are a talented and have solid coaching. This Rams team is going to the playoffs and will be one and done. I marked this as a HUGE loss. With a solid D and a effective offense the Rams will fail (broncos game with a joke QB) Besides Donald and Suh their D is average. I am still not sold of Goff.

Anyways. My Niners are a shit show without their starting

QB
    RB
    CB

And half of the damn team looking like a fricken mash unit. With Jimmy in this would have been a very different game. Possibly still a loss but a different game. He process info light years faster that captain corn field Beathard. CJ process info like an 3year old trying to do Trig.

Rams secondary is still very good, despite giving up a few big plays this year. Littleton is also a much better LB than people realize, and Barron is solid. That's why the ceiling for this defense is being the best overall in the league.

As far as Goff, I have to disagree. He's gotten much better this year over last.

Did you actually watch the Rams -Broncos game? The Broncos never had the ball with a chance to tie the game - the score made it look closer than it really was.

Agree that the game would have been different with Jimmy - Rams didn't play very well on offense. Without the turnovers and with a few more points from the Niners offense, this would have been a game.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

• SantaClaraHawk wrote:This is an invitation for expert fans of these teams or of the game to discuss specifically how the meltdown today occurred.

It is not a surprise that the 49ers lost. I did not watch the whole game, but what I saw just seems like "boink! Another turnover!" combined with ER as more players become injured.

How many 49ers starters remain active? Is there merit in pulling CJB for Mullens, or is the poor play a function of injury-wide collapse, poor coaching, something else?

As far as Rams, they're 7-0. What vulnerabilities DO they have?

The crazy thing about the Rams this year is that we really haven't played a "perfect" game yet. The defense has played great against the Raiders, Cards, Niners - three bad teams (although as I said above, the Niners have played some good teams close). Then the offense carried them against the Chargers, Vikings and Seahawks.

And then against the Broncos both had lapses and still found a way to win.

If a team committed to the ground game for 60 minutes, ala Seattle, it would put the defense in a position they dont want to be in.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

• 5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:I was watching the game today at a bar, and I had a realization - if you take the 9ers QB name and split it by syllables it's " Beat hard"., And that's a terrible name for a QB...

If you take the QB’s name and replace it with nearly any other currently starting QB in in the league right now they are 3-3. That kid has turned the ball over more than Bubba turns out fresh fish in the penitentiary.

I'm sure the Bills would prefer to have Beathard over either Peterman or Anderson at this point.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• I standby my previous statement.

Kyle Shannahan is the problem.

Prove me wrong.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• 49ers:

Four turnovers and a blocked punt in the endzone.

The 9ers dramatically increase the margin by which they're worst in the league in turnover differential. :lol:

Overall I thought the defense played much better than it has in the past, and didn't have the mental breakdowns that have been plaguing them. That's particularly noteworthy given how much deception is in McVay's scheme.

As for the offense, every week I'm surprised that it's semi-functional.

Beathard is improved, but most of those sacks are on him. He also missed more throws than he has this year (although still less than last year). I think he's a decent backup.

Mostert has really looked good these past two weeks, and looked good in the pre-season too.

Nice to see them FINALLY let Thomas play 3 tech a little bit.

Witherspoon gave up a TD but overall played fairly well.

Foster was invisible.

Tartt had a nice game.

McGlinchey had his worst game of the year.

The lack of edge pressure is hard to watch.

Cassius Marsh is my least favorite 49er, and it's not really close. It's possible I haven't disliked a 9ers player this much since Derek Smith.

Rams:

The best team in football, and very, very well coached.

I think over time they'll be well-served by changing their personnel groupings on offense more. I get why they're doing it, I just don't think it's an effective strategy in the long-term.

The jet sweep/tap pass is this year's wildcat, read/option, etc.

Funny in that even though everyone's been running RPOs for four or five years now, this was finally the year that the media started obsessing over RPOs, and it's really not the play that innovative offenses are pushing the boundaries on anymore. :lol:

His stat line was good and I liked how he used the pocket, but this wasn't a great game by Goff.

Phillips did a really good job disguising his coverages. Kyle uses pre-snap motion to deduce coverages, and from that it looked like the Rams were playing a lot of man, but they were almost always playing a disguised soft shell zone. It was smart, led to a fair number of the Rams' sacks, and also eliminated the 9ers WRs from the game fairly well.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Sox-n-Hawks wrote:I standby my previous statement.

Prove me wrong.

Playing with their backup QB, 3rd and 4th string running backs, and WRs who can't stay on the field the 9ers are 13th in the league in offensive yards per game.

If you think that's just because they're down and gobbling up yards while playing catch up, they're 2nd in rushing yards per game, so we can disprove that one too.

There.

You're wrong.

Have a nice day.

:lol: :2thumbs:
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Popeyejones wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:I standby my previous statement.

Prove me wrong.

Playing with their backup QB, 3rd and 4th string running backs, and WRs who can't stay on the field the 9ers are 13th in the league in offensive yards per game.

If you think that's just because they're down and gobbling up yards while playing catch up, they're 2nd in rushing yards per game, so we can disprove that one too.

There.

You're wrong.

Have a nice day.

It starts at the top. Beathard isn't that bad. Aside from his short stint at Atlanta. When has Shanny been successful? He's a garbage coach. We're talking Jeff Fisher bad here folks.

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:

Prove me wrong.

There.

You're wrong.

Have a nice day.

It starts at the top. Beathard isn't that bad. Aside from his short stint at Atlanta. When has Shanny been successful? He's a garbage coach. We're talking Jeff Fisher bad here folks.

Oh, okay. Cool.

I didn't realize we were just having an edgelord contest.

I tip my fedora to you sir, and bid you g'day.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Popeyejones wrote:49ers:

Four turnovers and a blocked punt in the endzone.

The 9ers dramatically increase the margin by which they're worst in the league in turnover differential. :lol:

Overall I thought the defense played much better than it has in the past, and didn't have the mental breakdowns that have been plaguing them. That's particularly noteworthy given how much deception is in McVay's scheme.

As for the offense, every week I'm surprised that it's semi-functional.

Beathard is improved, but most of those sacks are on him. He also missed more throws than he has this year (although still less than last year). I think he's a decent backup.

Mostert has really looked good these past two weeks, and looked good in the pre-season too.

Nice to see them FINALLY let Thomas play 3 tech a little bit.

Witherspoon gave up a TD but overall played fairly well.

Foster was invisible.

Tartt had a nice game.

McGlinchey had his worst game of the year.

The lack of edge pressure is hard to watch.

Cassius Marsh is my least favorite 49er, and it's not really close. It's possible I haven't disliked a 9ers player this much since Derek Smith.

Rams:

The best team in football, and very, very well coached.

I think over time they'll be well-served by changing their personnel groupings on offense more. I get why they're doing it, I just don't think it's an effective strategy in the long-term.

The jet sweep/tap pass is this year's wildcat, read/option, etc.

Funny in that even though everyone's been running RPOs for four or five years now, this was finally the year that the media started obsessing over RPOs, and it's really not the play that innovative offenses are pushing the boundaries on anymore. :lol:

His stat line was good and I liked how he used the pocket, but this wasn't a great game by Goff.

Phillips did a really good job disguising his coverages. Kyle uses pre-snap motion to deduce coverages, and from that it looked like the Rams were playing a lot of man, but they were almost always playing a disguised soft shell zone. It was smart, led to a fair number of the Rams' sacks, and also eliminated the 9ers WRs from the game fairly well.

Very good assessment IMO.

I agree about the personnel groupings, but part of me has been wondering all year if there's a part of McVay's playbook that we're not even tapping into yet. The offense came out very sluggish, and I was happy to see Malcolm Brown get more carries. I get that Gurley is possibly the best weapon in the NFL, but he's being used too much. We're in this thing to win it all, so I'd have him and Malcolm split carries the rest of the year (with Todd in for passing downs more often) and then use him more in the playoffs.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

• ^^^^ Yeah, will be really curious to see if the Rams start incorporating more personnel groups as the season goes on.

It's kinda neat to watch the Shanahan and McVay matchup as they're ultimately trying to do very similar things albeit in very different ways.

It was admittedly frustrating as hell to see the 9ers defense get burned on the same concepts that they're defending against in practice week in and week out. :lol:

And good call on Brown. Nice game by him. From this game my assumption is he doesn't offer much in the passing game and isn't splitting out wide, but in addition to looking like a nice player he's a good compliment to Gurley too.

Gurley is a bit of a glider (that's not an insult) and really smart and deceptive with small movements and adjusting his speed, whereas Brown seems like he relies more on popping through the holes that are given to him and keeping his pad level down and pointing forward throughout the play. Contrasting those two running styles is definitely a pain in the ass for d-lineman to contend with.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Shanahans been great this team just has a knack for turning the ball over in crucial moments like redzone or in the 4th quarter. Not sure how much you can pin it on Shanahan when a wide open receiver tips a pass into an interception or beathard getting sack fumbled on a missed block or RB losing the ball on a routine run. Who knows how different it would be if Jimmy and McKinnon were back there.

But -16 turnover margin is very concerning to have on your track record which is the #1 reason why this team is 1-6.
    SF49r
    NET Veteran

• Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:

Prove me wrong.

There.

You're wrong.

Have a nice day.

"Beathard isn't that bad".

I actually do agree with that on some level, but the dude has turned the ball over 8 times in three weeks. The dude is constantly throwing late.

When the Niners switched to Garoppolo last year this is what happened...

Yards Per Game: 321 / 410
    Points Per Game: 17 / 28.8
    Yards per play: 4.9 / 6.1
    Passing yards per game: 221.8 / 297
    Passer Rating: 72.6 / 94.0
    Passing Yards per Attempt: 5.66 (29th in NFL) / 8.44 (1st in NFL)

So...yeah. SLIGHT dropoff from Garoppolo to Beathard.

Beathard makes some good throws from time to time and he's a tough kid, but he CONSTANTLY holds the ball too long and throws late. This results in sacks, fumbles, and interceptions on contested throws. Additionally...he shows very little pocket presence and seldom steps up which makes it even easier for outside rushers to get to him or the ball.

The 49ers are running the ball right now with their 3rd and 4th RBs on the roster and succeeding. That's scheme. Their leading rusher yesterday was Raheem Mostert. No joke. 59 yards and 8.4 yards per carry. Breida was injured on their first offensive snap of the game and he was the backup to begin with (McKinnon tore ACL in camp).

This team has been beaten over the head with the injury stick. Garoppolo covered alot of the warts late in the year last year and they need another good draft or 2 (tho they have really found a TE in Kittle: 527 yards and 2 TDs in 7 games and he's a great blocker too).

Their WRs are invisible (Garcon not playing well, Goodwin has been hurt and out most of the hear, Pettis has been out for several weeks, Taylor had back surgery and isn't the same) yet they are STILL moving the ball and outside of yesterday putting points on the board.

Saying Shanahan is the problem is comical. His scheme and playcalling is one of the only things going RIGHT. To suggest otherwise pretty much shows you either don't watch the games, don't know what you are watching, or simply want that to be true and are trolling.

The 49ers had no answer for Aaron Donald yesterday, but few teams do. That's why he's a very rich man.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• ...and to you Rams fans,

Gratz. You have a very good team on your hands this year. Combo of really good talent and a talented HC. Could go far.

Way jealous of Todd Gurley and Aaron Donald. Niners have nothing like Gurley. DeForest Buckner is a very good DT, but nobody is in Donalds class. He's a game wrecker.

It will be alot of fun in a few years when the Niners have more weapons on offense and get the ones they have healthy again to see Shanahan and McVay duke it out. :D
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:...and to you Rams fans,

Gratz. You have a very good team on your hands this year. Combo of really good talent and a talented HC. Could go far.

Way jealous of Todd Gurley and Aaron Donald. Niners have nothing like Gurley. DeForest Buckner is a very good DT, but nobody is in Donalds class. He's a game wrecker.

It will be alot of fun in a few years when the Niners have more weapons on offense and get the ones they have healthy again to see Shanahan and McVay duke it out. :D

Yea it's still a little surreal. I think we only have three guys on the roster that have ever even won a playoff game - Talib, Cooks and Sullivan (assuming Sullivan did at some point) - with a fanbase that's still used to 4-7 win seasons. And yet at this point it sort of feels like not winning the super bowl would be a disappointment.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:

Prove me wrong.

There.

You're wrong.

Have a nice day.

I actually do agree with that on some level, but the dude has turned the ball over 8 times in three weeks. The dude is constantly throwing late.

Beathard makes some good throws from time to time and he's a tough kid, but he CONSTANTLY holds the ball too long and throws late. This results in sacks, fumbles, and interceptions on contested throws. Additionally...he shows very little pocket presence and seldom steps up which makes it even easier for outside rushers to get to him or the ball.

The 49ers are running the ball right now with their 3rd and 4th RBs on the roster and succeeding. That's scheme. Their leading rusher yesterday was Raheem Mostert. No joke. 59 yards and 8.4 yards per carry. Breida was injured on their first offensive snap of the game and he was the backup to begin with (McKinnon tore ACL in camp).

This team has been beaten over the head with the injury stick. Garoppolo covered alot of the warts late in the year last year and they need another good draft or 2 (tho they have really found a TE in Kittle: 527 yards and 2 TDs in 7 games and he's a great blocker too).

Their WRs are invisible (Garcon not playing well, Goodwin has been hurt and out most of the hear, Pettis has been out for several weeks, Taylor had back surgery and isn't the same) yet they are STILL moving the ball and outside of yesterday putting points on the board.

Saying Shanahan is the problem is comical. His scheme and playcalling is one of the only things going RIGHT. To suggest otherwise pretty much shows you either don't watch the games, don't know what you are watching, or simply want that to be true and are trolling.

The 49ers had no answer for Aaron Donald yesterday, but few teams do. That's why he's a very rich man.

Yeah prior to yesterday the Niners had pretty much overachieved in every game IMO. That's a sign that the coach is doing a great job.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

• Ramfan128 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:

There.

You're wrong.

Have a nice day.

Yeah prior to yesterday the Niners had pretty much overachieved in every game IMO. That's a sign that the coach is doing a great job.

Scheme and playcalling, yup. THAT is where Shanny's skills end. He is overreaching as head-coach and should go back to an OC position. His leadership is failing the Niners. As a Seahawks fan, I'm loving the trainwreck that is SF right now.

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• Ramfan128 wrote:And yet at this point it sort of feels like not winning the super bowl would be a disappointment.

Ah, nah, don't let yourself feel that way. Consistently making the playoffs is about as good as it gets in the NFL. In any given season winning the Super Bowl mostly comes down to chance.

If we judge the best team each year by who was the best record each year, about 75% of the time the best team doesn't win the Super Bowl. It's the consequence of the one-and-done playoff structure, which is itself just part of the game that can't really be changed.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Well , we always knew when the schedule came out , the 49ers record would look like crap at this point in the season. The injuries to the QB and RB just made things worse. The combined record of teams we have faced so far is 29-16-2. The Seahawks, for comparison have faced 18-22. No injury to the QB and perhaps we would be sitting at 3-4 at best.

Things should get better in the second half of the season as long as the team doesn't quit. The 49ers remaining schedule has a record of 25-32. For comparison , the Seahawks face a remaining schedule of 38-30-2 and that is with facing us twice.

The offense producing turnovers is predictable with the talent down grade. The more worrisome stat is the lack of turnovers from the defense
    94Smith
    NET Practice Squad

• Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    Ramfan128 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:

Scheme and playcalling, yup. THAT is where Shanny's skills end. He is overreaching as head-coach and should go back to an OC position. His leadership is failing the Niners. As a Seahawks fan, I'm loving the trainwreck that is SF right now.

So the players love him, The team hasn't quit despite an insane injury streak and one of the harder schedules in the NFL...

....but he sucks.

SMDH. I'd be critical of Shanahan if I thought he were the problem. He's not. They don't have the horses and the ones they do have are at the Vet. Its really not complicated.

What do you think he Seahawks record would be if they lost Wilson in week 3, lost Carson before the season, Davis is constantly hurt, Lockett got hurt in game 1 and barely played and Baldwin was pretty much invisible?

My guess is you'd be pretty close to the 1-6 record the Niners have and if i suggested Carroll was Fisher-like you'd think I was smoking something.

If I said coaching was the problem on a team missing its starting QB, RB, Backup RB, and missing several WRs for several games, you'd think I was nuts.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• 94Smith wrote:Well , we always knew when the schedule came out , the 49ers record would look like crap at this point in the season. The injuries to the QB and RB just made things worse. The combined record of teams we have faced so far is 29-16-2. The Seahawks, for comparison have faced 18-22. No injury to the QB and perhaps we would be sitting at 3-4 at best.

Things should get better in the second half of the season as long as the team doesn't quit. The 49ers remaining schedule has a record of 25-32. For comparison , the Seahawks face a remaining schedule of 38-30-2 and that is with facing us twice.

The offense producing turnovers is predictable with the talent down grade. The more worrisome stat is the lack of turnovers from the defense

Actually I think Seattle is 2-5 with the Niners schedule.

@MIN - L
    DET - W
    @KC - L
    @LAC - L
    AZ - W
    @GB - L
    LAR - L

We already beat them in their house, so that one is easy.

Road games against the Vikings, Chiefs, Chargers and Packers - don't see Seattle winning any of those.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

• Ramfan128 wrote:
    94Smith wrote:Well , we always knew when the schedule came out , the 49ers record would look like crap at this point in the season. The injuries to the QB and RB just made things worse. The combined record of teams we have faced so far is 29-16-2. The Seahawks, for comparison have faced 18-22. No injury to the QB and perhaps we would be sitting at 3-4 at best.

@MIN - L
    DET - W
    @KC - L
    @LAC - L
    AZ - W
    @GB - L
    LAR - L

Road games against the Vikings, Chiefs, Chargers and Packers - don't see Seattle winning any of those.

I differ. I see the hawks winning 5 of those games. I think they beat the dog snot out of the Pack. The Niners abused that team but good ol Beathard themrew the game away. And Rodgers was as always clutch.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• rlkats wrote:
    Ramfan128 wrote:
    94Smith wrote:Well , we always knew when the schedule came out , the 49ers record would look like crap at this point in the season. The injuries to the QB and RB just made things worse. The combined record of teams we have faced so far is 29-16-2. The Seahawks, for comparison have faced 18-22. No injury to the QB and perhaps we would be sitting at 3-4 at best.

@MIN - L
    DET - W
    @KC - L
    @LAC - L
    AZ - W
    @GB - L
    LAR - L

I differ. I see the hawks winning 5 of those games. I think they beat the dog snot out of the Pack. The Niners abused that team but good ol Beathard themrew the game away. And Rodgers was as always clutch.

Well they play every team on that list, so we'll see
    94Smith
    NET Practice Squad

• Marvin49 wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    Ramfan128 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

So the players love him, The team hasn't quit despite an insane injury streak and one of the harder schedules in the NFL...

....but he sucks.

SMDH. I'd be critical of Shanahan if I thought he were the problem. He's not. They don't have the horses and the ones they do have are at the Vet. Its really not complicated.

What do you think he Seahawks record would be if they lost Wilson in week 3, lost Carson before the season, Davis is constantly hurt, Lockett got hurt in game 1 and barely played and Baldwin was pretty much invisible?

My guess is you'd be pretty close to the 1-6 record the Niners have and if i suggested Carroll was Fisher-like you'd think I was smoking something.

If I said coaching was the problem on a team missing its starting QB, RB, Backup RB, and missing several WRs for several games, you'd think I was nuts.

Right? Because the Head Coach has nothing to do with personnel changes or developing new personnel?

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    Ramfan128 wrote:

....but he sucks.

Right? Because the Head Coach has nothing to do with personnel changes or developing new personnel?

Um, what?

I don't even know what point you are making. If I understand the criticism you are making its that the 49ers aren't 6 deep at WR, 4 deep at RB, or 2 deep at QB so Shanahan sucks. Wow. I guess every coach sucks then.

Its been 1.5 years with Shanahan and Lynch. They've rolled over most of the roster.

They found Garoppolo, Goodwin and Tomlinson in FA/trades and all have played well. The drafted Foster, Kittle, McGlinchey and Warner who are all playing well.

It doesn't happen overnight and in particular when you are CRUSHED with injuries and have one at the most important position in sports.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:

....but he sucks.

Um, what?

I don't even know what point you are making. If I understand the criticism you are making its that the 49ers aren't 6 deep at WR, 4 deep at RB, or 2 deep at QB so Shanahan sucks. Wow. I guess every coach sucks then.

Its been 1.5 years with Shanahan and Lynch. They've rolled over most of the roster.

They found Garoppolo, Goodwin and Tomlinson in FA/trades and all have played well. The drafted Foster, Kittle, McGlinchey and Warner who are all playing well.

It doesn't happen overnight and in particular when you are CRUSHED with injuries and have one at the most important position in sports.

When you put a player on the DL for the rest of the season or get thin at a position, it's YOUR job as the coach to either prepare the next player, or find a new one. It's also your job to assess the skills of your second stringers and make sure they're ready to step up. BTW They're 7 Deep at WR, 4 Deep at RB and 3 Deep at QB. Sorry, but Shanny's backup plan sucks. When Brady tore his ACL in the first game of 2008 Matt Cassel took them to an 11-5 season.

Coaching and Scouting is failing SF and I LOVE it. The biggest front office mistake in the last 20 years on any team was letting Harbaugh go. hahahahah

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• I blame you, Marvin. :lol: :snack:
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

....but he sucks.

Um, what?

When you put a player on the DL for the rest of the season or get thin at a position, it's YOUR job as the coach to either prepare the next player, or find a new one. It's also your job to assess the skills of your second stringers and make sure they're ready to step up. BTW They're 7 Deep at WR, 4 Deep at RB and 3 Deep at QB. Sorry, but Shanny's backup plan sucks. When Brady tore his ACL in the first game of 2008 Matt Cassel took them to an 11-5 season.

Coaching and Scouting is failing SF and I LOVE it. The biggest front office mistake in the last 20 years on any team was letting Harbaugh go. hahahahah

Hahahaha. Now thats rich. Like the hawks second stringers have been amazing. Lol. I guess your main office is a joke along with old Pete. Take the green glasses off and look at your own magnificent back ups. News flash sparky. They suck also. Just a little less than ours.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• rlkats wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:

Um, what?

Hahahaha. Now thats rich. Like the hawks second stringers have been amazing. Lol. I guess your main office is a joke along with old Pete. Take the green glasses off and look at your own magnificent back ups. News flash sparky. They suck also. Just a little less than ours.

Our front office is still making deals as spots open up, people get injured and move. We've lost by what? A whopping 12 TOTAL points combined with our "backup to the LOB" The front office made coaching changes and personnel moves in the offseason after we narrowly missed a wildcard spot... now we actually have an offensive line and running game. That's a far cry from the mudhole teams are stomping in SF.

In contrast, SF fired a very successful head coach, made more terrible personnel moves and is failing. Shanny sucks as a HC, he needs to go back an OC position.

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    rlkats wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Um, what?

Our front office is still making deals as spots open up, people get injured and move. We've lost by what? A whopping 12 TOTAL points combined with our "backup to the LOB" The front office made coaching changes and personnel moves in the offseason after we narrowly missed a wildcard spot... now we actually have an offensive line and running game. That's a far cry from the mudhole teams are stomping in SF.

In contrast, SF fired a very successful head coach, made more terrible personnel moves and is failing. Shanny sucks as a HC, he needs to go back an OC position.

Love this green and blue colored lenses.

My team sucks at least I admit it. Denial is not a river. It’s ok pal I used to be a blind fan
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:

Prove me wrong.

There.

You're wrong.

Have a nice day.

He’s improved the offense of every team he’s gone to except the Browns. He’s been a head coach for two seasons. On a team that was record setting-bad before he arrived. Seems a bit early to be so certain, especially in light of the tidal wave of actual NFL players and coaches whose beliefs on the matter are directly oppositional to yours.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

....but he sucks.

Um, what?

Bringing up Cassel just proves you’re either trolling or just special, as that team had just finished 17-0 and broke nearly every offensive record the year before. The talent around Cassel was absurd. Ryan Leaf could have squeaked out a winning record with that team.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• 5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:

Um, what?

Bringing up Cassel just proves you’re either trolling or just special, as that team had just finished 17-0 and broke nearly every offensive record the year before. The talent around Cassel was absurd. Ryan Leaf could have squeaked out a winning record with that team.

You prove my point. The coaching and scouting led to excellent results. The opposite is true in SF right now.

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Um, what?

You prove my point. The coaching and scouting led to excellent results. The opposite is true in SF right now.

Homey Please.

Bill Belichick became the HC in NE in 2000. The Cassel Season was 2008. That was EIGHT YEARS into Belichicks career in NE and they had gone 18-1 (including postseason) the year before.

Lynch and Shanahan have been in SF for a year and a half and have rolled over nearly the entire roster.

The fact that you even make a comparison is comical.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:

Homey Please.

Bill Belichick became the HC in NE in 2000. The Cassel Season was 2008. That was EIGHT YEARS into Belichicks career in NE and they had gone 18-1 (including postseason) the year before.

Lynch and Shanahan have been in SF for a year and a half and have rolled over nearly the entire roster.

So in 2001 when Brady replaced the injured Bledsoe the Pats shouldn't have won the Superbowl right?

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    5_Golden_Rings wrote:Bringing up Cassel just proves you’re either trolling or just special, as that team had just finished 17-0 and broke nearly every offensive record the year before. The talent around Cassel was absurd. Ryan Leaf could have squeaked out a winning record with that team.

The only thing proven is that you are either trolling or special.

Exhibit A:

Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    5_Golden_Rings wrote:Bringing up Cassel just proves you’re either trolling or just special, as that team had just finished 17-0 and broke nearly every offensive record the year before. The talent around Cassel was absurd. Ryan Leaf could have squeaked out a winning record with that team.

Homey Please.

So in 2001 when Brady replaced the injured Bledsoe the Pats shouldn't have won the Superbowl right?

This response fails miserably to understand the fact that the nucleus of that 2001 Patriots team was put there by BILL PARCELLS and... wait for it... PETE CARROLL.

Ty Law
    Lawyer Milloy
    Tedy Bruschi
    Willie McGinest
    Troy Brown
    Kevin Faulk
    Ted Johnson
    Adam Vinatieri
    Tebucky Jones
    Damien Woody
    Rod Rutledge
    Drew Bledsoe

were all there when Belichick arrived, put there by Parcells and Carroll. There are others, but these guys made meaningful contributions to the 2001 Super Bowl Championship team (except Bledsoe, although without him they don't beat Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship).

As for Brady, Belichick missed on him five times.

That team went to the playoffs four of the previous six seasons BEFORE Belichick got there (and handn't had a losing record in four consecutive seasons and 5 of 6), thanks to Parcells and Carroll.

Of course, such lack of knowledge is to be expected from someone who became an NFL fan in 2012 (or later - after all, what lifelong Seahawks fan discovers the best Seahawks forum in existence in 2014?).
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• 5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:

Exhibit A:

Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:

Homey Please.

This response fails miserably to understand the fact that the nucleus of that 2001 Patriots team was put there by BILL PARCELLS and... wait for it... PETE CARROLL.

Ty Law
    Lawyer Milloy
    Tedy Bruschi
    Willie McGinest
    Troy Brown
    Kevin Faulk
    Ted Johnson
    Adam Vinatieri
    Tebucky Jones
    Damien Woody
    Rod Rutledge
    Drew Bledsoe

were all there when Belichick arrived, put there by Parcells and Carroll. There are others, but these guys made meaningful contributions to the 2001 Super Bowl Championship team (except Bledsoe, although without him they don't beat Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship).

That team went to the playoffs four of the previous six seasons BEFORE Belichick got there (and handn't had a losing record in four consecutive seasons and 5 of 6), thanks to Parcells and Carroll.

Of course, such lack of knowledge is to be expected from someone who became an NFL fan in 2012 (or later - after all, what lifelong Seahawks fan discovers the best Seahawks forum in existence in 2014?).

One who didn't have time to waste on the internet until then :mrgreen:

And yes, and thanks again for proving my point about coaching and scouting. It's absurd to think a team totally collapses like SF has and coaching isn't the problem.

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:

Exhibit A:

Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Homey Please.

Ty Law
    Lawyer Milloy
    Tedy Bruschi
    Willie McGinest
    Troy Brown
    Kevin Faulk
    Ted Johnson
    Adam Vinatieri
    Tebucky Jones
    Damien Woody
    Rod Rutledge
    Drew Bledsoe

And yes, and thanks again for proving my point about coaching and scouting. It's absurd to think a team totally collapses like SF has and coaching isn't the problem.

Yes, coaching and team management caused the collapse.

The problem was mostly Trent Baalke, followed by the absurd hiring of Jim "The Fart Heard Round the World" Tomsula and then Chip Kelly (who managed to put the worst run defense in 49ers history on the field the year before Shanahan arrived).

But ultimately it is 49ers CEO/privileged son of team owner Jed York's fault. He was too much of a baby to deal with Jim Harbaugh, who despite his antics is and always has been a winner. I suppose it was Jim Harbaugh kicking Jed York out of a team meeting because, as he said to York, the meeting was "for men only." It hurt Jed York's feelings too much, so he chose the talent-less Baalke over Harbaugh, and then the talent drained like a bathtub.

Regarding Shanahan, the year before he arrived, the 49ers were 2-14. They were ranked 32 in defense and 31st in defense. The year before that they were ranked 29th in defense and 31st in offense.

Last year with Shanahan they were 6-10, ranked 24th in defense and 12th in offense. They became better primarily because of coaching. Of course, lose your starting QB and things will be very hard (imagine Seattle without Wilson, for example... unless you're one of those delusional Seahawk fans who underestimate Wilson's value). Yet still they are 19th in defense and 21st in offense. They have only won one game (one more than last year at this time), but the record of their opponents so far is 29-16-2. That is a HELL of a difficult schedule.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• 5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:

Exhibit A:

Sox-n-Hawks wrote:

Ty Law
    Lawyer Milloy
    Tedy Bruschi
    Willie McGinest
    Troy Brown
    Kevin Faulk
    Ted Johnson
    Adam Vinatieri
    Tebucky Jones
    Damien Woody
    Rod Rutledge
    Drew Bledsoe

Yes, coaching and team management caused the collapse.

The problem was mostly Trent Baalke, followed by the absurd hiring of Jim "The Fart Heard Round the World" Tomsula and then Chip Kelly (who managed to put the worst run defense in 49ers history on the field the year before Shanahan arrived).

But ultimately it is 49ers CEO/privileged son of team owner Jed York's fault. He was too much of a baby to deal with Jim Harbaugh, who despite his antics is and always has been a winner. I suppose it was Jim Harbaugh kicking Jed York out of a team meeting because, as he said to York, the meeting was "for men only." It hurt Jed York's feelings too much, so he chose the talent-less Baalke over Harbaugh, and then the talent drained like a bathtub.

Regarding Shanahan, the year before he arrived, the 49ers were 2-14. They were ranked 32 in defense and 31st in defense. The year before that they were ranked 29th in defense and 31st in offense.

Last year with Shanahan they were 6-10, ranked 24th in defense and 12th in offense. They became better primarily because of coaching. Of course, lose your starting QB and things will be very hard (imagine Seattle without Wilson, for example... unless you're one of those delusional Seahawk fans who underestimate Wilson's value). Yet still they are 19th in defense and 21st in offense. They have only won one game (one more than last year at this time), but the record of their opponents so far is 29-16-2. That is a HELL of a difficult schedule.

I agree with you 100% on the collapse. I still think the team would be scary if Harbaugh were the HC and Shanny were the OC. Thankfully, we don't live in that world.

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• 5_Golden_Rings wrote:Of course, lose your starting QB and things will be very hard (imagine Seattle without Wilson, for example... unless you're one of those delusional Seahawk fans who underestimate Wilson's value).

Words of wisdom right there, folks.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• It appears that after the 34-3 against the Raiders with Mullens, who broke three records today, that starting Mullens was not a stupid idea.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Starter

• SantaClaraHawk wrote:It appears that after the 34-3 against the Raiders with Mullens, who broke three records today, that starting Mullens was not a stupid idea.

Sam Bradford could have looked good playing the Raiders tonight.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Next

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:54 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information