Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Espn article on playcallers from all 32 team

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

  • I don't know how they put them up in "head to head" and rank them, but even at #12, that is not championship caliber coaching when 11 other teams have an advantage before they ever take the field.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3187
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • If you follow actual analysts, you'll find Bevell's scheming is pretty competent. He's also cleaned up his worst tendencies (too many bubble screens, chucking deep on 3rd and short).

    The conclusion I'm coming to, however, is that Wilson needs more than competent. He needs an innovator, and Bevell is not that.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16198
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


  • Strange article.

    Ranks Sarkisian #6 and then blames him for ATL's drop from 1st to 15th ranked offense. The guy he replaced that had the #1 offense is ranked 31st because he's coaching the 49'ers.

    Sean McVay is called a miracle worker at #8, just behind Todd Downing's 22nd ranked offense that was 6th before he took the helm.

    They got Bevell right though: fans hate him even though he's had 3 of the 5 top Seahawk offenses of all time.
    Own The West
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 120
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:20 pm


  • Just so you guys are clear, the commentary on each item is opinion but the ranking order of the list is not. The ranking is just in order of statistical offensive efficiency as calculated by ESPN. Typical nonsense to generate a story.
    User avatar
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3201
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • As posted, This is an “NFL” topic.

    Thanks.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 16642
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:If you follow actual analysts, you'll find Bevell's scheming is pretty competent. He's also cleaned up his worst tendencies (too many bubble screens, chucking deep on 3rd and short).

    The conclusion I'm coming to, however, is that Wilson needs more than competent. He needs an innovator, and Bevell is not that.

    The Field Gulls article that pointed out the fact that we regularly invite (literally, invite) pressure through scheming be damned?
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 31067
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Bothell, WA


  • The metrics they must have NOT used.... Gameplanning, play calling, early in game adjustments if DB is at any other spot than #32. He fails weekly at all of those.

    This article is a joke. Seems like an article that cherry picked the metrics to fit a predetermined conclusion.
    Last edited by Sports Hernia on Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23307
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Own The West wrote:Strange article.

    Ranks Sarkisian #6 and then blames him for ATL's drop from 1st to 15th ranked offense. The guy he replaced that had the #1 offense is ranked 31st because he's coaching the 49'ers.

    Sean McVay is called a miracle worker at #8, just behind Todd Downing's 22nd ranked offense that was 6th before he took the helm.

    They got Bevell right though: fans hate him even though he's had 3 of the 5 top Seahawk offenses of all time.

    Disagree. They got it wrong. The 3 out of 5 top offenses that you claim are despite DB not because of him. The guy is garbage as an OC. If he was so great as you claim, why isn’t he a head coach (which is his stated goal) somewhere? He’s had a ton of interviews over the past few years and not gotten one HC job. Why is that???
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23307
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • The fact that they put Shanahan at #31 when him leaving Atlanta with almost the exact same personnel resulted in them falling from being on of the greatest offenses ever to one that is considerably worse, although still really good, is evidence that this list is bollocks.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 906
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


  • I don't hate Bevell with the fervor so many here do, though I know he's not the best. I just also realize how much worse it could be.
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

    - Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3619
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm


  • Fire Bevell.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    User avatar
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1129
    Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:11 pm


  • WmHBonney wrote:Fire Bevell.

    Exactly.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23307
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Offense needs to adapt to evolving defenses. Offensive stats this year look pretty good but when you watch the games you know that isn't reflective of what's happening, they're all chunk plays outside the Texans game. Far too many three and outs, little to no rhythm, inability to close out games. I think half of the TDs this year are in the fourth quarter, which is great to show they don't quit but also bad that the team can't do anything for 2/3 of the game. Would love some younger, innovative coaches to get a chance with the Hawks.
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3496
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


  • adeltaY wrote:The fact that they put Shanahan at #31 when him leaving Atlanta with almost the exact same personnel resulted in them falling from being on of the greatest offenses ever to one that is considerably worse, although still really good, is evidence that this list is bollocks.


    Imagine that, having an MVP caliber QB, a good O-line, a HOF WR in his prime and two great RB's makes you a good playcaller.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12441
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Imagine that, having an MVP caliber QB, a good O-line, a HOF WR in his prime and two great RB's makes you a good playcaller.

    Kinda blowin' smoke up the ass of the Falcons, don't you think? Great running backs do it year in and year out. That's what makes them great.

    Also, while Ryan is a pretty good QB, I wouldn't rank him elite. Yes, he won the MVP...now the same team w/o their offensive coordinator looks like...what, this year?

    The 2016 Falcons were absolutely NOT a case of the players making the offensive coordinator look good.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 31067
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Bothell, WA


  • Own The West wrote:Strange article.

    Ranks Sarkisian #6 and then blames him for ATL's drop from 1st to 15th ranked offense. The guy he replaced that had the #1 offense is ranked 31st because he's coaching the 49'ers.

    Sean McVay is called a miracle worker at #8, just behind Todd Downing's 22nd ranked offense that was 6th before he took the helm.

    They got Bevell right though: fans hate him even though he's had 3 of the 5 top Seahawk offenses of all time.


    Agree, ranking Shanahan at 31st because his team can't win is comical. Our Niner film guys tell me they're seeing a lot of guys get open, and when they are actually targeted they drop the ball.

    Now Bevell I thought was a bit underrated. Not as good as Shanahan but nowhere near as bad as being garbage as many on .NET tend to believe.

    I've never seen anyone get more open against the Cardinals than the 2nd game against Seattle in 2015. Every single play someone was wide open. If the Niners had someone like that after Harbaugh left, maybe Kap's career would get saved instead of having two pick 6s in 10 seconds.

    Bevell is better than you think.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1448
    Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 7:06 pm


  • Shanahan's offensive resume against the Seahawks last year was why he was hired to be Niner coach.

    Russell Wilson "owns" the Niners because since 2014, he only needed 10 points a game to beat them.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1448
    Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 7:06 pm


  • This is a farce, a good OC can move the ball and adjust to their personnel, most times, first you have to have the talent there to begin with and a QB and a Line that have a semblance of a skill set. The RB's and WR's etc you adapt to their strengths. Really good ones do this. McDaniel's in NE being one of the best in this generation. Everyone else is really playing catch up to him. Most people can make a offense work with all stars everywhere, there are exceptions, wasting talent on a philosophy has been done before. Dungy did it in Tampa for years. Were doing it here in Seattle, Parcells leaned that way also. No OC can make things work if your hand cuffing the way to run the offense and making it a defensive unit as in playing not to lose.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 22463
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • " Those continually calling for his job don't seem to realize that three of the five highest-scoring seasons in franchise history -- 2012, 2013 and 2015 -- came under his watch."

    That also came with one Russell Wilson. I'm sorry, but this article wants to give all the accolades produced by Wilson to Bevell. Yes, Wilson is not God's gift to the QB position. I get that. But ALL of the success enjoyed by the offense is directly related to the arrival of Russell Wilson. If DB was anywhere close to being the OC portrayed in this article then Tavaris Jackson would still be the QB.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    User avatar
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 522
    Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:10 pm
    Location: Baltimore, Maryland


  • NINEster wrote:Bevell is better than you think.

    Uh huh. So, you clearly disagree with this assessment, then? https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/11/14/1 ... ell-wilson

    If that's the case, then please explain, in detail, why you believe the summary & conclusion of that article to be wrong.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 31067
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Bothell, WA


  • adeltaY wrote:The fact that they put Shanahan at #31 when him leaving Atlanta with almost the exact same personnel resulted in them falling from being on of the greatest offenses ever to one that is considerably worse, although still really good, is evidence that this list is bollocks.




    This isn't a ranking of play callers. It's a ranking of offensive production by their power metric, followed by a DISCUSSION of each play caller.
    User avatar
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1005
    Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:38 am


  • NINEster wrote:
    Own The West wrote:Strange article.

    Ranks Sarkisian #6 and then blames him for ATL's drop from 1st to 15th ranked offense. The guy he replaced that had the #1 offense is ranked 31st because he's coaching the 49'ers.

    Sean McVay is called a miracle worker at #8, just behind Todd Downing's 22nd ranked offense that was 6th before he took the helm.

    They got Bevell right though: fans hate him even though he's had 3 of the 5 top Seahawk offenses of all time.


    Agree, ranking Shanahan at 31st because his team can't win is comical. Our Niner film guys tell me they're seeing a lot of guys get open, and when they are actually targeted they drop the ball.

    Now Bevell I thought was a bit underrated. Not as good as Shanahan but nowhere near as bad as being garbage as many on .NET tend to believe.

    I've never seen anyone get more open against the Cardinals than the 2nd game against Seattle in 2015. Every single play someone was wide open. If the Niners had someone like that after Harbaugh left, maybe Kap's career would get saved instead of having two pick 6s in 10 seconds.

    Bevell is better than you think.

    Read the article more carefully. This is NOT a ranking of play callers. The teams are ranked according to offensive production according to ESPN's metric, and then each play caller is discussed.
    User avatar
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1005
    Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:38 am


  • As I figured. If you're paying attention, it's easy to see that Bevell is one of the better OC's in the league. His record proves it. He'll be with Pete the remainder of his tenure, as he should be.
    User avatar
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3668
    Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:46 pm


  • Siouxhawk wrote:As I figured. If you're paying attention, it's easy to see that Bevell is one of the better OC's in the league. His record proves it. He'll be with Pete the remainder of his tenure, as he should be.


    No it's not, and you clearly did not read any of the article.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12522
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Mike McCarthy is an atrocious play-caller. Anybody watch some of those head-sctatchers last season where each decision was completely unrelated to every other play and seemingly devoid of context and rhythm? That list is even more flawed than just our moronic OC.
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    User avatar
    Threedee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1563
    Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:08 pm
    Location: Federal Way, WA


  • Siouxhawk wrote:As I figured. If you're paying attention, it's easy to see that Bevell is one of the better OC's in the league. His record proves it. He'll be with Pete the remainder of his tenure, as he should be.


    That's a pretty pessimistic view of the future.
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    User avatar
    Threedee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1563
    Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:08 pm
    Location: Federal Way, WA


  • Siouxhawk wrote:As I figured. If you're paying attention, it's easy to see that Bevell is one of the better OC's in the league. His record proves it. He'll be with Pete the remainder of his tenure, as he should be.



    His record ? We have had Three DC's isn't it their record also ? What about Pete isn't it his record as well.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 22463
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Sark at #6. Shanny at #31? Totally legit list.

    ESPN is an epic fail, and no one goes on that site anymore with good reason.
    User avatar
    Fade
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1105
    Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:26 am
    Location: Truth Ray




It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:29 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests