Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Panthers fire GM just before start of camp

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

• ....and cue ctrcat spinning in 5.... 4.... 3.... 2....
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

- Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• If they were going to fire him it should have been after the Josh Norman debacle.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• nanomoz wrote:CRTCat was praising Gettleman as one of the best GMs in the league as recently as last year, wasn't he?

15-1 will make anyone think your GM is a genius. Nevermind the 7-8-1 and 6-10 seasons that came before and after 15-1.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• sdog1981 wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:CRTCat was praising Gettleman as one of the best GMs in the league as recently as last year, wasn't he?

15-1 will make anyone think your GM is a genius. Nevermind the 7-8-1 and 6-10 seasons that came before and after 15-1.

Since 2013 (Gettleman era) the Panthers have the 6th highest win % in football, above the Packers and Steelers. He navigated a salary cap disaster to deliver a fantastically balanced roster in 2017 of vets, stars in their prime, and youth, on both sides of the ball, all on firm short and long term salary cap footing.

Thomas Davis and Greg Olsen want new contracts too, and Gettleman didn't appear to be willing to cave to them either. Jerry Richardson's southern heart was softer than Gettleman, so he axed him. My post history shows I have rightly criticized Richardson for not being cut throat enough and putting the league over the team. Someone will have a fantastic job and opportunity, but likely at least partly while having to look over his shoulder at Richardson as long as he's alive. I'm still here but shocked and shaking my head today.
    ctrcat
    NET Veteran

• Seems like a mistake to me. Other than the whole Norman fiasco, i felt he's done a good job there. Had to be some personality clashes or something going on. I've heard some rumors that it was because he was unwilling to re-sign Davis and Olson. But honestly I would be hesitant to sign those two guys to the big deals they're likely looking for, too, seeing as they're both on the wrong side of 30. Davis especially. He's 34, already has an extensive injury history and they have enough talent at LB to move on from him without it being too devestating of a loss.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

• Trrrroy wrote:Seems like a mistake to me. Other than the whole Norman fiasco, i felt he's done a good job there. Had to be some personality clashes or something going on. I've heard some rumors that it was because he was unwilling to re-sign Davis and Olson. But honestly I would be hesitant to sign those two guys to the big deals they're likely looking for, too, seeing as they're both on the wrong side of 30. Davis especially. He's 34, already has an extensive injury history and they have enough talent at LB to move on from him without it being too devestating of a loss.

^
    ctrcat
    NET Veteran

• ctrcat wrote:
    It's definitely not a cut and dry issue that's clear to the naked eye. It's not an exaggeration to say that Richardson likely admires Thomas Davis as much or more than anyone that's ever walked the planet not named Jesus Christ. Any hint at disrespect to Davis, right or wrong, business or not, was too much for Richardson.

I can diffidently see that angle too. Davis is one of those community players that no one wants to see leave.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• Always nice to see another potential playoff team in disarray before the season starts
    12thbrah
    NET Veteran

• 12thbrah wrote:Always nice to see another potential playoff team in disarray before the season starts

The players will likely feel like a weight has been lifted in the short term. The long term fans that have seen the consequences of making the franchise a country club are more concerned. Only time will tell how legit the concern is. Obviously, there's the matter of having a warm body to make decisions, relatively minor as they may be, in the short term as well.
    ctrcat
    NET Veteran

• sdog1981 wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:CRTCat was praising Gettleman as one of the best GMs in the league as recently as last year, wasn't he?

1/3 of those wins were by a single score, so 10-6 was certainly a possibility. And they've never had back to back .500 or better seasons, I think they are the only team in the league with that distinction.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

• 253hawk wrote:And they've never had back to back .500 or better seasons, I think they are the only team in the league with that distinction.

They went 8-8 in 2006 after an 11-5 year in 2005, and they pulled 8-8 again in 2009 after going 12-4 in 2008, but they've never had back-to-back winning seasons. I know the Falcons didn't have back-to-back winning seasons either until 2008-09. It took them over 40 years.
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• sdog1981 wrote:The plot thickens Panthers hire their old GM. Marty Hurney.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... interim-gm

....and cue ctrcat spinning in 5.... 4.... 3.... 2....

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Milehighhawk wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:The plot thickens Panthers hire their old GM. Marty Hurney.

Some strange actions going on down in the south. Especially since he was let go for failure to perform before.

They just stockpiled a bunch of Blue Pills so he can't use that excuse anymore when they go to the League Meetings in the Jerry Jones party bus this year.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Milehighhawk wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:The plot thickens Panthers hire their old GM. Marty Hurney.

Some strange actions going on down in the south. Especially since he was let go for failure to perform before.

Barring disaster he doesn't have to do anything this year. Gettleman gave him a straight flush this year. His first signing was commendable though-Trai Turner 4/$45 mil $20.5 GTD
    ctrcat
    NET Veteran

• ctrcat doesn't need to spin anything. This is a big mistake for the Panthers. He drafted well, and did great to get back to a favorable salary cap position. Don't forget that they were paying big money for TWO running backs.
    thebanjodude
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:39 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information