Q&A w/Broncos & Seahawks Fans -- Super Bowl Preview ...

A collection of NET's best and most memorable threads. Predictions, debates, laughs, and X's & O's. Rating: PG to NC-17
  • OK, I've got a few more minutes here to myself. So, I'm going to go ahead and piggyback on what I was sharing earlier. Then tomorrow, I'll go ahead and shift to other aspects of this Seahawks team for those Broncos fans who are interested. And please as I said right up front, feel free to post similar insights, tidbits, personnel breakdowns, X's and O's breakdowns, etc. on the Broncos as well. I'd love to hear that kind of stuff from you guys.

As people start to really dive in to the stats on Seattle, one thing that you're going to increasingly hear is something to the effect of, "Well, all Seattle does well is run the ball. They obviously can't win if Russell Wilson has to beat you. If you stop the run, you stop the Seahawks."

Now it's true that Seattle runs the football more than any team in the NFL (around 55% of the time roughly on average). As I mentioned above, that's completely by design for the simple fact that Pete Carroll wants it that way. He's all about ball control, controlling the time of possession, and limiting the offense opportunities of the opposition. That said, Seattle is most certainly NOT done if a team stonewalls the run. That's a myth that seems to be fairly prevalent that somehow Russell Wilson is nothing more than a "game manager" who is totally reliant upon the run in order to set up what he does. In fact, there have been many times when the run has been bottled up that he has put the team on his shoulders, taken over the game, and won. In that sense, he is every bit the creator and play maker in the clutch that Joe Montana, John Elway, or Peyton Manning ever were.

Here are a but few examples that I could think of off the top of my head ...

Seattle-New England (Week 6 Last year) ...
    Lynch had only 41 yards (the Patriots made it a point to bottle up the run).
    Russell Wilson was 16 for 27, had 293 yards passing, 3TD's, and a QB Rating of 133.7

Seattle-Chicago (Week 13 at Soldier Field Last Year) ...
    Lynch had 87 yards rushing (but really the Bears did a good job of taking away the run).
    Russell Wilson completed 23 of 37, had 293 yards, 2 TD, and had a QB Rating of 104.9. He also ran for 71 yards as well and basically single handedly took over that game. He led the team on not just 1 ... but TWO game winning drives.

Seattle vs. Atlanta in the Playoffs ...
    Lynch only had 46 yards rushing (as the Falcons made it a point to shut him down). Russell Wilson completed 24 of 36, threw for 385 Yards, 2TD, and had a QB Rating of 109.1

Seattle vs. Carolina (Week 1) ...
    A stout Panther defense held Lynch to just 43 yards (as they made a point of shutting down the run).
    Wilson completed 25 of 33, threw for 320 Yards, 1 TD, and had a QB Rating of 115.7

Seattle vs. Minnesota (Week 10) ...
    Lynch had only 54 yards in this game (again, the Vikings keyed on stopping the run).
    Wilson completed 13 of 18, threw for 230 yards, 2 TD, and had a QB Rating of 151.4. Wilson completed passes for 8 different receivers in that game and the only reason his stats weren't any higher was that Seattle yanked him and pretty much all the starters in the 4th Quarter as it was basically a blowout.

Just a few examples for you. I know this -- when the game is on the line and it's under 2 minutes ... there's no one else out there that I personally want as my QB. Time and time again, this guy finds a way to win because of what HE does on the field. I think you'll find that to be the majority opinion among Seahawks fans.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• Broncos fans don’t get a chance to see this Seahawks team anymore … and Seahawks fans by in large don’t get a chance to see the Broncos either. Because of that, in many ways these 2 teams are strangers to one another. That’s why I asked Broncos fans (if they would be so kind) to share with us their story … and I’m glad to hear that there are some Broncos fans who are interested in hearing ours as well.

So, I’m going to go ahead and launch into a bit of storytime here for a bit regarding the 2013 Seahawks ...

You know, it’s truly remarkable where this Seahawks team is at when you sit back and start to reflect on where they’ve come from. It was just 4 short years ago (just prior to the start of the 2010 season) that Pete Carroll was coaxed out of USC to be coach of this football team and John Schneider (a young, hotshot executive from Green Bay) was brought on board to be its GM. The team had gone 5-11 under coach Jim Mora in 2009 (his only year in Seattle) and owner Paul Allen decided at the end of the 2009 season that it was time for some changes. GM Tim Ruskell resigned 2 weeks before the end of the 2009 season, as it was clear that Allen wasn’t going to extend his contract. Then Allen (somewhat underhanded way) made a covert trip down to USC to coax Carroll to join the Hawks … and fired coach Jim Mora. During that 2010 season, the Seahawks underwent a TON of personnel changes. It seemed like the roster turned over every day. Guys were brought in left and right … and let go of left and right. All in all, there were a stunning 284 roster moves made that season, as Carroll was looking for guys who could play in his system and who were able to just play football. When those guys walked in the door, there was a real dearth of talent on this roster. There aren’t many players left from the pre-Carroll days -- just 4 players (DE Red Byrant, C Max Unger, DT Brandon Mebane, and P Jon Ryan). Seattle actually made the playoffs that year at 7-9 (According to Football Outsiders, the 2nd worst team in the history of the NFL to make the playoffs) … and actually knocked off the 11-5 Saints that year. The Seahawks and the rest of the NFC West was considered a laughingstock back then.

Now just 4 years later, no one is laughing at the NFC West … and this Seahawks team is in the Super Bowl and on the doorstep of a championship title. That’s remarkable because they’ve overcome a ton of adversity this year.

First, it was announced in May that LB Bruce Irvin was going to be suspended for the first 4 games of the regular season for violating the NFL’s policy on performance enhancing substances.

Then during training camp, Seattle’s big offseason signing -- Percy Harvin started having issues with his hip. He ended up having surgery to repair an issue with the labrum in his hip on August 1st and missed most of the entire season because of it. He came back for the Minnesota game, but was put back on the shelf for the remainder of the season because of tightness in that repaired hip. He came back for that Divisional game against the Saints, but was then knocked out with a concussion in the 2nd Quarter for the remainder of the game. Thankfully, he’s been cleared to play in the Super Bowl and it looks like he’ll be at full strength finally for the big game.

After that, Seattle saw the erosion of its offensive line in short order. Starting Pro Bowl LT Russell Okung was lost in Week 2 (the first game against the 49ers) with a toe injury and wouldn’t return for 8 weeks. Then, starting RT Breno Giacomini had arthroscopic knee surgery on September 30th (after Week 3) and didn’t return until Week 11 against the Vikings. Starting Pro Bowl Center Max Unger missed a couple of games as well and has been playing most of the season with a strained pectoral muscle.

So, the Seahawks coaching staff had to adapt. They shifted LG Paul McQuistan over to Okung’s spot, but he was clearly overmatched against most DE’s. Earlier this season, Pro Football Focus had McQuistan ranked as the worst LT in the game bar none. At one point in the season, the Seahawks had 4 of its 5 starting linemen out … and Russell Wilson felt the brunt of it. According to Pro Football Focus, Russell Wilson was the most pressured QB in the league in 2013 (pressured on 43.8% of his drop back passes). Injuries to the Offensive Line caused their overall rating to plummet, as Football Outsiders rated them the worst pass blocking offensive line in all of football. It makes what Russell Wilson ended up accomplishing this year all that much more impressive. That said, the offensive line as it stands today has vastly improved since Okung’s, Giacomini’s, and Unger’s return … and the infusion of new talent into the line (guys like Michael Bowie and Alvin Bailey). They are a far cry from the revolving door of earlier this season.

Seattle have also dealt with blows to their secondary this year as well. Starting CB Brandon Browner went down with a groin injury in the Falcons game (Week 10) and then ended up being suspended indefinitely for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. Then at the end of November, Walter Thurmond was lost for 4 games for violating the league’s substance abuse policy as well. It appears that both of those guys took full advantage of Washington’s new marijuana policies. ;)

And through all of that, the Seahawks have weathered the storm. They find themselves on the biggest stage in America because they have amazing depth and have a great coaching staff that knows how to game plan to maximize strengths and minimize weaknesses. They are a remarkable team in so many ways and to see them actually win it all would mean everything to a city (and the entire Pacific Northwest) that hasn’t seen a professional championship of any kind (NBA, MLB, or NFL) since the Sonics won the NBA title back in 1979.

So Broncos fans, there's a brief recounting of the story of the 2013 Seattle Seahawks for you. Would anyone out there in Bronco land care to do the same thing and tell us the story of the 2013 Denver Broncos?
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• This is pretty cool that you guys are doing this. I kinda feel like I need to apologize because after I watched Novorro Bowman get carted off, I thought all Seahwks fans were like that.

Anyway, I couldn't find any questions to answer, so I will ask a couple.

1. How good is your front four at creating pressure? Our offensive line was ranked number 1 I believe with 20 allowed sacks in 18 games. We also have Moreno who is a very good blocker out of the backfield, not to mention Virgil Green or Joel Dreeson.

2. How good are you linebackers in coverage?

Sorry if these questions are stupid, I havent really followed the Seahawks.
    NFLFAN1234
    NET Bench Warmer

• NFLFAN1234 wrote:This is pretty cool that you guys are doing this. I kinda feel like I need to apologize because after I watched Novorro Bowman get carted off, I thought all Seahwks fans were like that.

1. How good is your front four at creating pressure? Our offensive line was ranked number 1 I believe with 20 allowed sacks in 18 games. We also have Moreno who is a very good blocker out of the backfield, not to mention Virgil Green or Joel Dreeson.

Very good. I recall we have about 44 sacks during the season and we almost never blitz. Of course one of the unique ways we play defense is we'll typically have 8 in the box, but we'll only rush 3-4 but it's very often a different 3-4 than you might expect. So you can call it a base rush, but it's an exotic base rush.

Moreover, I believe the Seahawks lead the league in QB pressures. Our rush might not get there, but it's very good at forcing a QB off his spot and forcing him to adjust.

I should add that a lot of our front's success is due to the LoB. We play press coverage designed to generate small window and disrupt timing routes. This often gives our rush an extra second or two to get there...which is huge.

Superior. To give a quick example, Jimmy Graham was considered one of the leading receivers in the NFL and he was a tight end. As often as not we'd cover him with an LB. Suffice it to say Graham did not have good days in either meeting.

Seem like reasonable questions to me.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

• NFLFAN1234 wrote:This is pretty cool that you guys are doing this. I kinda feel like I need to apologize because after I watched Novorro Bowman get carted off, I thought all Seahwks fans were like that.

Every fan base has idiots. From the video, it seems like it was just one person who threw popcorn at him. Richard Sherman was correct to call him about it, just a scumbag move by whoever it was.

We have finally gotten to a point where we don't need to rely on blitzes to get pressure on QBs. I used to be so impressed with the 49ers defense since they basically played every down in their base sets because of the pressure they could get with their front four. I think we are approaching that level of disruption. Sadly it's going to be tough to keep everyone around with all of them wanting to get paid. Denver's offensive line is no joke and having Peyton get rid of the ball immediately doesn't hurt either. Your O-line is a perfect fit for the style of offense Peyton runs.

Linebacker coverage used to be a huge Achilles heel for us as we would get gashed by screens and tight ends every game it seemed. Our FO made sure to get big/fast LB who have solid coverage skills which is why we drafted Bobby Wagner in the second round (and got bashed for it at the time.....honestly, how is 'draft expert' a job?). Luke Kuechly has gotten all the national media but Bobby has been playing some amazing football this year for us.

Question for you. What would you say your biggest weakness is on defense?
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Many people say DE, but our DE's, Robert Ayers and Shaun Phillips were both ranked top 10 for 4-3 DE's in pass rushing and stopping the run. Overall, our Dline makes plays, but it wont be as pretty as some other teams. So IMO, our biggest wekness is

MLB. Wesley Woodyard was playing pretty good before week 5, when he suffered a neck stinger. He was replaced by Paris Lenon, who is bigger and more physical, but he struggles. Thankfully we have Danny Trevathon, who might be our best defensive player. Nate Irving, the other OLB, loves to hit, but he's a bit unproven .Overall Paris can struggle at times, but the other players on our D can help him out, such as DT Terrence Knighton. Our safeties, Mike Adams and Duke Ihenacho have been hot/cold. Adams is a SS who has moved over to FS after Rahim Moore got compression syndrom and Nacho(as we call him at Broncos Country) struggles in pass coverage. He is a big physical safety that is good in run defense, so it works out for this game.

How good is you coaching staff at making adjustments?
    NFLFAN1234
    NET Bench Warmer

• NFLFAN1234 wrote:Many people say DE, but our DE's, Robert Ayers and Shaun Phillips were both ranked top 10 for 4-3 DE's in pass rushing and stopping the run. Overall, our Dline makes plays, but it wont be as pretty as some other teams. So IMO, our biggest wekness is

MLB. Wesley Woodyard was playing pretty good before week 5, when he suffered a neck stinger. He was replaced by Paris Lenon, who is bigger and more physical, but he struggles. Thankfully we have Danny Trevathon, who might be our best defensive player. Nate Irving, the other OLB, loves to hit, but he's a bit unproven .Overall Paris can struggle at times, but the other players on our D can help him out, such as DT Terrence Knighton. Our safeties, Mike Adams and Duke Ihenacho have been hot/cold. Adams is a SS who has moved over to FS after Rahim Moore got compression syndrom and Nacho(as we call him at Broncos Country) struggles in pass coverage. He is a big physical safety that is good in run defense, so it works out for this game.

How good is you coaching staff at making adjustments?

Defensively we are great at adjustments. Most teams don't move the ball on us but when something is working Pete Carroll and Dan Quinn do a great job stopping it. I think the best thing about our defense is how we make offenses one dimensional. We beat the 49ers by shutting down Frank Gore and preventing Kaepernick from running like he did in the first half. When CK had to beat us by passing we had them play right into our hands. My guess is we will make sure your running game doesn't get going and put the game on Peyton which is weird to say, but our secondary is the strength of our team.

Offense is a different animal. Throughout the year there was lots of arguing about our offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell. I'm in the camp that thinks we would be better if he left for a head coaching job. It seems like he has a predetermined plan for the game and doesn't get away from it even if it isn't working. The last month of the season was dreadful watching our offense sputter along while our defense was getting 4-5 takeaways and still be close games. I guess I can't complain too much with a 13-3 record and statistically one of the best offenses in the league, I just feel that's a product of the players more than the coaching. So many runs would get blown up in the backfield when the defense (and everyone in the stadium) knew we were running to the left and Marshawn still gets 3 yards. Everything we want to do on offense predicates on Marshawn getting his yards, so if that wasn't working it felt like we would force it instead of working the passing game in to open the run. Our defense never put us in situations where we HAD to start throwing it though, so it's hard to say.

Do you think Brock Osweiler is your future? Peyton put up some crazy numbers this year but Brady is already showing signs of decline so it's only a matter of time before the game catches up on Peyton. His intelligence will always be there but his body just wont be able to do what he's used to.

Also, thoughts on Moreno. Do you think he is a legit NFL running back or are his stats more of defenses being afraid of your passing game? And how did he learn to cry a river of tears?
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Since you gave me alot of good information about Russel Wilson, I will give you Peyton Manning.
    By the way, great pickup for Wilson! He was in the 3rd round i think? We picked before you at 2nd with Oswieler. We really haven't given OZ much of a chance yet, so we will see how he is when Peyton retires.

Peyton Manning is relentless in planning. He is the first to practice and the last to leave. He will study so much game film that he will know strenghs/weaknesses and tendancies of his opponents including the backups. He works alot with the Offensive Coordinator Adam Gase to get game plans that are tailored for his best potential.

He is one of the few QBs that can call his own plays on the line. Adam usually gives him a couple plays he can change the play based on what keys he sees from the defense. Peyton is a master at reading defenses and can many times get the other side on a nuetral zone infraction penalty offsides. Based on what he reads from the body language of the defenders, he can either change a play or improvise on the spot.

This is one of the reasons he is good in a blitz situation. He many times reads the blitz and can create an open reciever quick based on that blitz.
    Most of the time he will get a release off very quickly (someone said 2.3 seconds or something like that).

Peyton loves to spread the ball around to multiple recievers. I am amazed when i see the stats and see how even he gives receptions to recievers.
    He loves to go to Demarius Thomas (14TDS), Eric Decker (11TDS), Welker (10TDs), and the Tight End Julius Thomas (12TDS). He will also throw to his RBS Moreno (3TDS) and Montee Ball. There are other Tight Ends/recievers that he might thow to also.

As you know, he has re-written the record books. The key records are the 55TDs and 4477 passing yards.
    He avoids getting sacked (18) and limits interceptions (10), but can get out of rythym if you put pressure on him if you can get to him before he throws it.

Peyton is not afraid to use the run.
    What can you say, he is an amazing quarterback and we are so excited to see him in his prime.
    johntfootball
    NET Bench Warmer

• That sounds awfully similar to us. It seems like the first half is just practice for the second half (for the offense). Last yer our play calling was so predictable with Mike McCoy. Run on 1 and 2 then on 3rd and long throw a short pass. I love what Gase has done, I hope he stays after Fox.

I personally believe that he is the future, opinions on him vary though. I believe he is in a great situation with Manning and Elway. He was very raw coming out of college, so it's up to the coaching staff, which they've done pretty well with all other positions, so IMO, theres no way to believe otherwise with Brock. I'm actually excited to see this offense when he takes over because of his arm strength with this offense. If he learns preperation, and other mental attributes from Peyton, I think he'll be fine. Like I said though, opinions vary.

I think if we're able to keep Moreno, great, but I wouldnt break the bank for him. I actually think Monte Ball is a better runner tthan he is. Moreno's work on screens and blocking is invaluable and will need to be replaced by someone if he leaves.Ronnie Hillman has the speed to be dangerous on screens, but he needs to hold on to the ball. So to answer your wuestion, I do think Manning helps. He gets extra room to run and because of the four horsemen, defenses don't pay attention to him out of the backfield. And when he touches the ball, I never worry about him losing it. So if heleaves, I think we will be in a rush to find someone to replace him.

An earlier poster mentioned the struggles of your o-line. What specifically does it struggle with?

What is your weakest link on defense? I know thats a tough question because your d is number 1, butif you were Manning what/who woud you target?
    NFLFAN1234
    NET Bench Warmer

• Next I will talk about our Running Backs.
    We have 4 running backs 1) Knowshon Moreno 2) Montee Ball 3) Ronnie Hillman and 4) CJ Anderson

mistaowen asked "Also, thoughts on Moreno. Do you think he is a legit NFL running back or are his stats more of defenses being afraid of your passing game? And how did he learn to cry a river of tears?"
    We picked Knowshon up a few years ago as a #1 draft pick. He kind of ended up as a dissapointment, alot of fumbling issues, and was actually eventually put back on to the practice squad. Our number one RB McGahee got the injury bug, so we started putting in Moreno and he did a good job at the end of the year, getting a couple 100+ yarders. This year he actually didnt come in as the starter, but did so well, they basically had to give it to him. He has done amazing!
    He's actually got over 1040 yards rushing this year and he also got over 500 yards passing. One thing is you can count on Moreno to not turn over the ball and create great runs! Yes, he is emotional, and everyone knows he cries. but we love him! He will be a free agent in 2014. It will be interesting if we can afford to keep him.
    Our offense needs a good running attack. If we get a good balance of run and pass, there really is nothing that can stop us. I really think that the run game is going to be very important in this game. It is key we get this rolling. You get the run game going, it then opens the pass game even more.
    We picked up Montee Ball in the 2nd round this year. I think he seems to get better and better each week. Early in the season, he had a number of fumble issues. i think in the past 5 games i don't think he has fumbled. He seems like he can actually power rush better than Knowhon.
    Ronnie Hillman is our change of pace RB. He is a good outside runner. He also has had some fumbling issues and has been in the dog house for 5 or 6 games. He will be back, and im sure for the better.

An interesting game to consider when you talk about the running game is the regular season New England game.
    We normaly do a 60% + passing attack in most of our games.
    Well, the New England game was a different subject. The weather sucked (cold) and the winds where horrible in that game. It mattered a great deal whether you were going in to the wind or against the wind.
    Out of norm, we took more of a running/pound the run and sometimes pass approach. I think if i remember, Peyton only got 150 yards passing that day (usually a norm of 340 or something).
    Moreno pounded the ball for 240+ yards and i think we got over 290 yards that day.
    If it wasn't for the slippery ball and fumble issues i think we would have won with that attack/approach.
    Last edited by johntfootball on Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    johntfootball
    NET Bench Warmer

• NFLFAN1234 wrote:That sounds awfully similar to us. It seems like the first half is just practice for the second half (for the offense). Last yer our play calling was so predictable with Mike McCoy. Run on 1 and 2 then on 3rd and long throw a short pass. I love what Gase has done, I hope he stays after Fox.

I personally believe that he is the future, opinions on him vary though. I believe he is in a great situation with Manning and Elway. He was very raw coming out of college, so it's up to the coaching staff, which they've done pretty well with all other positions, so IMO, theres no way to believe otherwise with Brock. I'm actually excited to see this offense when he takes over because of his arm strength with this offense. If he learns preperation, and other mental attributes from Peyton, I think he'll be fine. Like I said though, opinions vary.

I think if we're able to keep Moreno, great, but I wouldnt break the bank for him. I actually think Monte Ball is a better runner tthan he is. Moreno's work on screens and blocking is invaluable and will need to be replaced by someone if he leaves.Ronnie Hillman has the speed to be dangerous on screens, but he needs to hold on to the ball. So to answer your wuestion, I do think Manning helps. He gets extra room to run and because of the four horsemen, defenses don't pay attention to him out of the backfield. And when he touches the ball, I never worry about him losing it. So if heleaves, I think we will be in a rush to find someone to replace him.

An earlier poster mentioned the struggles of your o-line. What specifically does it struggle with?

What is your weakest link on defense? I know thats a tough question because your d is number 1, butif you were Manning what/who woud you target?

For the o-line.... it's tough. Some games they look like world beaters and other games Wilson is running for his life every play. I think we could definitely upgrade 3 spots on the line but the young guys look promising. Unger had a down year but he got voted to his second straight pro bowl and Okung healthy is one of the best LT in the league. They get good push in the running game but get pushed around by above average pass rushers. If Von Miller wasn't hurt I think we'd have an issue.

Weakest link on defense is offenses that can line up and pound the ball up the middle on us. Teams can't run outside cause of the speed and for the most part can't run up the middle, but as seen by the loss against the 49ers and Cards, if you can get push up the middle Earl Thomas has to come up to make plays. Peyton will get his yards but I think the difference in the game will be if you guys can run the ball or not. If your offense becomes one dimensional it will be tough.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

No, those aren't stupid questions whatsoever. This is exactly what I started this thread for -- so that Seahawks fans and Broncos fans could freely ask questions and share insights with one another (to better acquaint ourselves with each others' teams). So, no -- ask away.

Regarding Novorro Bowman, no -- I'm never happy when a player gets injured (especially a player of that stature). Now I won't lie -- I was relieved in a way when he went off (because I knew that it gave us a better chance of winning) ... but I wasn't happy by any means and I had no idea as to the extent of his injury. I respect the heck out of Novorro Bowman. He plays the game the right way. Great player and I love the way he plays. In fact, if he were to ever pop free and become a free agent ... I'd want the Hawks to sign him pronto. He's an elite level talent and a whale of a good player.

So, on to your questions ...

NFLFAN1234 wrote:1. How good is your front four at creating pressure? Our offensive line was ranked number 1 I believe with 20 allowed sacks in 18 games. We also have Moreno who is a very good blocker out of the backfield, not to mention Virgil Green or Joel Dreeson.

In a word, phenomenal. By the way, I did an extensive breakdown of many of the key players on the Seahawks Defense back on Pg. 1. I would highly recommend reading through that. In brief, that front 4 does a great job of applying pressure all on their own. The Hawks have pass rushers GALORE that they will cycle through all game long. Avril, Bennett, and Clemons from the DE spot ... and McDonald, McDaniel, and Mebane from the DT spots are very good pass rushers as well. Pro Football Focus had the Seahawks Front 4 as some of the best pass rushers in the game (See my previous post on Pg. 1).

NFLFAN1234 wrote:2. How good are you linebackers in coverage?

Extremely good. Elite in fact. As I mentioned in my previous post back on Pg. 2, the Seahawks will often drop those guys back in to coverage ... and they have done a great job in terms of pass coverage. K.J. Wright is a real weapon against TE's ... as is Malcolm Smith. Those guys helped basically shut down Jimmy Graham and Vernon Davis this year. Bobby Wagner and Bruce Irvin have also been very solid in pass coverage as well. Seattle's linebackers, as a whole, are a whole different breed of animal as they are FAST, can cover, are very sure tacklers, and can lay the wood.

If you're wanting to know about the Seahawks Defense as a whole, here is a post that I cranked out for Saints Fans prior to that Week 13 matchup on Monday Night Football ...

The Seahawks Front 7 is very, very good. Pete Carroll's philosophy of defense is -- speed and quickness. That's the mantra. The ability to recognize, diagnose, react, and flow to the ball very quickly (swarm) it very much a Pete Carroll philosophy. Speed, speed, speed is what he emphasizes a lot and he has constructed his defense accordingly. In general, they tend to rotate guys in and out along the Defensive Line, so you're going to see different guys throughout the game.

As far as Pete Carroll's Defense itself is concerned, as I mentioned it's unlike anything you've seen traditionally in the NFL and unless you've watched a lot of USC football throughout the years, you may not be familiar with it. For those who are unfamiliar with the Seahawks Defense, it's very different from what you're used to. Pete Carroll and company have their own unique approach. Mike Chan over at Field Gulls did very nice write-up on the Seahawks Hybrid Defense, explaining their concepts, some of their base formations, etc. I highly recommend reading it for those who are interested ...
    Defining the Seahawks' Defense: An Introduction

Starting with the LB's, a genuine case could be made that MLB Bobby Wagner deserved to be Defensive Rookie of the Year. He diagnoses very quickly, flows to the ball well, and is a sure tackler. KJ Wright is a very underrated LB -- big, strong, powerful yet quick. Good in coverage and strong in run support as well. Bruce Irvin is a guy who was a LEO last year and they moved to WILL with the hopes of using his quickness and speed in coverage, flowing to the ball in run support, and rushing the passer as well. Many people laughed when the Hawks took him #14 overall in the draft last year. Well, they stopped laughing after he tallied 8 sacks last year to lead all NFL rookies.

On Seattle’s Front 4, the Seahawks have a good mix of guys who can both rush the passer and stop the run. DE Red Bryant was a guy who, before Pete Carroll took over, was on the verge of being cut. He was too big and too slow for a traditional DE, but Pete thought he’d be the perfect Elephant -- a run stuffing DE from the 5 Technique. He’s become a lynchpin of the Hawks run defense. DT Brandon Mebane is a run stuffer who’s capable of taking over a game and dominating against the run and has become a heck of a pass rusher to boot. DT’s Clinton McDonald and Tony McDaniel are really almost mirror images of one another (to me at least). Those 2 have been very pleasant surprises in my book, as both have been very good against both the run and have shown pass rush ability. As mentioned above, both were key players in the Hawks win over the Vikings.

As I’ve mentioned a few times before, the Seahawks have an almost embarrassment of wealth when it comes to Pass Rushers. Seattle can really get after the QB. Since 2010 under Carroll, Seattle fans have gotten used to seeing the LEO -- a quick pass rusher lined up outside on the wide 9 technique. This year though, they’ve gotten pressure all up and down that D-Line. Interestingly enough though as you look at the stats, you’re not going to find a guy that really stands out who’s among the NFL leaders in sacks. That’s because Seattle almost has TOO MANY guys who can rush the QB. It’s almost like a guy like Chris Clemons will beat his guy for a sure sack … only to find someone else has already beaten him to the QB. Poor O’Brien Schofield is a guy who was very impressive earlier this season, rushing the passer from the LEO position and showing a lot of quickness getting to the ball. Now that Clemons and Irvin are back, he can’t get on the field, as there’s just no room for playing time for him. He’s been on the Inactive List for the past several games. After his knee surgery, I would say Chris Clemons (based upon my eyeball test) is probably 90-95% of his old self. Still, 90-95% of Chris Clemons is a dangerous pass rusher.

Cliff Avril has been a bad, bad man on that defense -- very good rushing the QB, very disruptive, and has caused his share of strip sacks and turnovers. In fact, he's been one of the best in the NFL at stripping the ball as he's sacking the QB for a few years now. He’s been a beast. This is a Seattle group that causes a lot of turnovers and he's certainly been a big part of it. Great signing by the Seahawks.

The most dangerous guy on that defensive front this year has definitely been Michael Bennett (who was originally discovered as an UDFA by former coach Jim Mora in 2009, left after the cutdown to 53 that year for Tampa Bay, and quietly dominated over there. I couldn’t believe they let that guy get away then, but am sure glad he’s back now). I was one who was VERY excited that the Seahawks actually decided to pursue him in FA and around here at Seahawks.net, I was one of the main ones driving that bandwagon to go get this guy back. What makes him so dangerous is that you can play him both inside and outside (DT, DE, anywhere on the line) and he is so disruptive. He can get to the QB, penetrate in to the backfield and drop the RB for a loss -- you’ve simply gotta account for this guy. He’s only on a 1 year deal, but there’s not a chance in Hell that he’s not back next year.

Regarding screens and how the Seahawks deal with those, I can pretty much tell you from watching this team all year -- I wouldn’t run them all that much. This group recognizes very quickly and is so fast getting to the ball (and you’re going to see this on Monday) … that they generally blow those up with great regularity. Because of that team speed and recognition, if you were going to attack them, go right at them instead of trying to get too cute. As I said though, they’ve been pretty good in the frontal assault of late. Should be an interesting matchup for sure.

By the way, one piece of trivia that Broncos fans may or may not know regarding the Seahawks defense. In many ways, Seattle fans have the Broncos to thank for where they are at right now. You see, during the 2009 Draft, Denver approached Seattle about its 2nd round pick because coach Josh McDaniels simply had to have Alphonso Smith. So, Seattle agreed to trade its 2nd rounder that year ... for Denver's 1st Round pick in 2010. [One of the few moves that former Seattle GM Tim Ruskell got right]. The next year -- new Seattle GM John Schneider used that 1st Round pick (#14 overall) and picked Earl Thomas. Thomas is probably the best Free Safety in the game right now and very much the lynchpin for that Seahawks secondary.
    Last edited by Hawkscanner on Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• NFLFAN1234 wrote:How good is you coaching staff at making adjustments?

This Seahawks coaching staff has a truly remarkable ability to game plan and make in game adjustments. They are extremely good at figuring out what a team's weaknesses are and constructing an effective plan of attack to exploit them. Honestly, they're one of the very best I've ever seen at it ... and definitely the best in the history of Seahawks Football for sure. Now I loved Mike Holmgren (and still do) in so many ways ... but God love him, he wasn't very good at adapting to what other teams were trying to do to him IMO. He used to script the first 15 plays or so at the beginning of the game ... and those would often work to perfection. The Hawks under Holmgren (in general) used to get out to leads early ... only to watch teams come back on them in the 2nd Half. That happened again and again, as games always seemed to turn in to nail biters. Pete Carroll's coaching staff -- totally different. If a team has success against them, it's early. They have a remarkable ability (almost uncanny) to figure out what a team is doing against them on the fly during the game ... and to adjust accordingly. Holmgren could never do that, as if a team got up on us early, it was generally over. These guys even if they're down by 20 Points at Half ... generally tend to figure out what a team is doing and adjusts (usually stunningly well). In fact, I did a study earlier this year in which I compared 1st Half Point Totals to 2nd Half Point Totals (both for the Seahawks and their opponents). The data showed exactly that -- that the Seahawks had more points in the 2nd Half, while their opponents had far less than the 1st Half. I have a very good friend who's a long time very passionate USC Fan. I ran this by him and he agreed that this seemed to be a Pete Carroll trait, as he saw time and time again over a 10 year period these kinds of in game adjustments and amazing comebacks.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• Hi there, another Broncos fan here!

All season I've thought the Seahawks were the best team in the league, I think its nice to have the very best in the superbowl, which doesn't always happen. I've read through the thread, and would note a couple of things;

I know we all like statistics, but I don't think we'll be told much by DVOA with regards to this game. We should focus more on matchups and how things we play out to get an idea of who may win, IMO. We can go back and forth all day on who has played who and who is better statistically etc etc, but none of it really matters - the two best teams are in the superbowl. Now it just matters how they match up.

I'm a pretty pessimistic fan in general, I get incredibly nervous and never like to get my hopes up too much!! So maybe that plays into this, but I really don't like this matchup for us. Seattle's defense is exactly built to stop us. Not only in the secondary but up front.

I believe the front four will create pressure. I expect them to challenge our left side (our weaker side). The loss of Clady has been masked all season, and Clark has played well, but I believe we will feel this loss in the SB. Clark has struggled against really good pass rushers, and he seems to specialise in pushing guys past the pocket, allowing peyton to step up. In this game, I see Beadles giving up significant pressure, and the pocket being pushed across the front much more than previously, meaning Manning won't be able to step up like he usually does. I think this hurts Clark.

I think the corners will do a good job against our receivers. It will be interesting to see how they officiate on the outside, but I think our receivers will allow themselves to get mugged. I know everyone raves about our receivers, but I'd like to see them get way more physical with DB's. Im sick and tired of them looking for flags all the time. Im not gonna lie, I hope the officials are strict with contact on the back end!! But if they aren't our receivers need to realise it and adapt their game to how the officials are calling it. If Sherman holds you DT, DO something about it!! I hope they can do that in this game, but I give the edge to the Seahawks corners. If anything, it seems to me Sherman has struggled more with smaller, shiftier receivers with speed like TY Hilton. Unfortuantely we don't have anyone like that!

I have some questions for you guys as well though. I saw a lot of you guys early season, but not so much recently. I've always like Wilson and thought he was a good QB. Im just wondering why he hasn't played as well recently. I haven't seen him, but everyone seems to be talking about Seattle's lack of offense and Wilson's less than stellar play. Has he been innacurate, or made poor decisions?? As I say, I see him as a pretty good QB who can definitely hurt us, but what has happened recently?

I have some more thoughts, but massive posts always put me off so I'll stop there!!!
    aulaza
    NET Bench Warmer

• aulaza wrote:Hi there, another Broncos fan here!

All season I've thought the Seahawks were the best team in the league, I think its nice to have the very best in the superbowl, which doesn't always happen. I've read through the thread, and would note a couple of things;

I know we all like statistics, but I don't think we'll be told much by DVOA with regards to this game. We should focus more on matchups and how things we play out to get an idea of who may win, IMO. We can go back and forth all day on who has played who and who is better statistically etc etc, but none of it really matters - the two best teams are in the superbowl. Now it just matters how they match up.

Thanks for taking the time to chime in ... and please, feel free to do so more this upcoming week. Let me say right up front that if massive posts put you off, you're probably going to struggle with me. I'm a teacher by trade, so I do tend to give classroom lectures -- it's just in my nature. ;) With you, I'll try my best to be as brief, yet thorough as I can be.

Totally agreed -- these ARE the two best teams in their respective divisions. NOW, we get a chance to see who is the best of the best. On to your comments ...

aulaza wrote:I'm a pretty pessimistic fan in general, I get incredibly nervous and never like to get my hopes up too much!! So maybe that plays into this, but I really don't like this matchup for us. Seattle's defense is exactly built to stop us. Not only in the secondary but up front.

I believe the front four will create pressure. I expect them to challenge our left side (our weaker side). The loss of Clady has been masked all season, and Clark has played well, but I believe we will feel this loss in the SB. Clark has struggled against really good pass rushers, and he seems to specialise in pushing guys past the pocket, allowing peyton to step up. In this game, I see Beadles giving up significant pressure, and the pocket being pushed across the front much more than previously, meaning Manning won't be able to step up like he usually does. I think this hurts Clark.

I think the corners will do a good job against our receivers. It will be interesting to see how they officiate on the outside, but I think our receivers will allow themselves to get mugged. I know everyone raves about our receivers, but I'd like to see them get way more physical with DB's. Im sick and tired of them looking for flags all the time. Im not gonna lie, I hope the officials are strict with contact on the back end!! But if they aren't our receivers need to realise it and adapt their game to how the officials are calling it. If Sherman holds you DT, DO something about it!! I hope they can do that in this game, but I give the edge to the Seahawks corners. If anything, it seems to me Sherman has struggled more with smaller, shiftier receivers with speed like TY Hilton. Unfortuantely we don't have anyone like that!

I tend to be the nervous nellie when it comes to my team as well. I don't know how old you are, but I go back to the old AFC West days. For me, I still consider the the Broncos, Raiders, Chiefs, and Chargers my rivals ... and I remember all too well the days of John Elway always finding a way to beat the Seahawks time and time again. The Seahawks it seemed always found a way to lose. UGH!

That said, this is a totally different era with totally different teams, coaches, and so on. If I were a Broncos fan, I don't believe I could have chosen a worse matchup for the Broncos than the Seattle Seahawks. They are a physical, physical crew all the way across -- very nasty defense.

I heard something yesterday (that I hadn't heard before) that really puts things in perspective with just how good Seattle's Defense truly is. This year, the Seattle Seahawks Defense ended the season ...

#1 in Total Points Allowed (231 -- an average of 14.4 Per Game)
    #1 in Total Yards Allowed (4,378 -- an average of 273.6 Per Game)
    #1 in Total Turnovers (39 -- they had 28 interceptions (#1) and 11 fumble recoveries)

The last team to finish #1 in each of those categories ... was the 1985 Chicago Bears.

Yes, as I've mentioned Seattle's Front 4 is extremely good. Both Bennett and Avril were among Pro Football Focus's top 10 defensive lineman in terms of generating pressure. And the Seahawks pass rush doesn't stop there. DT's Brandon Mebane and Tony McDaniel were not only two of the top run stuffers in the game (2nd and 4th best according to PFF) ... they were also two of the NFL's best pass rushing interior lineman as well. Seattle was one of the best pressure inducing teams in the NFL WITHOUT having to blitz much.

In terms of Seattle's secondary vs. Denver's WR's, I've heard a lot about these guys trying to create separation for themselves with pick plays (especially Wes Welker). Well I would say that if they try that ... that would be a bad, bad move for Denver. Seattle's secondary LIKES to get physical. That's how they're wired. Honestly, someone is likely to get his head taken off. Better to run away from those guys. On the smaller, quicker WR's, I'd say you may be right ... but here's where he's got some help. As I'm sure you know, FS Earl Thomas plays deep center field and he is a guided missile in terms of his speed. If you've got All-22, just watch what he does back there. In a word, WOW!

aulaza wrote:I have some questions for you guys as well though. I saw a lot of you guys early season, but not so much recently. I've always like Wilson and thought he was a good QB. Im just wondering why he hasn't played as well recently. I haven't seen him, but everyone seems to be talking about Seattle's lack of offense and Wilson's less than stellar play. Has he been innacurate, or made poor decisions?? As I say, I see him as a pretty good QB who can definitely hurt us, but what has happened recently?

That's true that Wilson DID kind of struggle down the stretch (though he had a great game this past Sunday). Here are a few reasons that I believe account for that ...

1) Seattle's Offensive Line, though intact beginning with that Minnesota game, has taken several games to gel again. I've heard it said time and time again that it generally takes a long time for offenses (especially offensive lines) to really get clicking. They had so many guys out for such an extended period of time that it simply has taken this long to get firing on all cylinders again. Perhaps because of Seattle's Offensive Line being bad for so long, it might have affected Wilson's timing -- undoubtedly it did.

2) Seattle has played extremely good defenses down the stretch. New Orleans, San Francisco, the Giants, Arizona, and St. Louis -- all some of the better defenses in the league. Football Outsiders ranked the Saints Defense #10, the 49ers Defense #12, the Giants Defense #3, the Cardinals Defense #2, and the Rams Defense #6. That accounts for some of that.

3) Seattle's lack of speed at WR finally caught up to them and teams learned how to adapt. Losing Percy Harvin early really hurt this team because opposing DB's looked at Seattle's WR's and didn't see anyone whom they really had to respect in terms of their speed. Then after Sidney Rice went down, opposing DB's especially said to themselves that there was no one who could really burn them deep. So, good defenses that had good, physical cornerbacks basically started jamming Seattle's receivers and not allowing them much separation at all. When Harvin came back for that Vikings game, you could see the effect he had, as corners all of a sudden started backing off. At the same time, teams discovered that if they used their Defensive Ends to CONTAIN Russell Wilson instead of simply rushing up the field and allowing him to get outside where he could cause some damage, that that could limit his effectiveness. All of that held true for awhile, but it's certainly isn't going to in this game because Harvin will be back for the Super Bowl and has been determined to be a full go. At the same time, Wilson WAS in a slump himself, as he was off on a number of his throws. I'm guessing in part because of all of this other stuff.

By the way, I wouldn't read too much in to Russell Wilson's lack of stats from that New Orleans Divisional playoff game. Those were horrible conditions (40 mph winds and driving rain). For example, in the 3rd quarter, Seattle attempted a grand total of 3 passes in large part because I believe they were playing against the wind. This past week, he looked more like his old self.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• Question for you Broncos fans ...

1) We've been far more focused on looking at Denver's Defense, we've neglected the obvious. Could you tell us more about Denver's OFFENSE (the type of offense they like to run, X's and O's, etc.)? Anything you guys could tell Seahawks fans would be helpful.

2) In doing some research, it looks to me like a heck of a lot of what the Broncos do on Offense involves Knowshon Moreno (both rushing and in passing game). Is that accurate and if so, how do they use him?
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• Hey Broncos fans

How did Terrence Knighton get the nickname "Pot Roast"
    GO HAWKS
    CHawk
    NET Practice Squad

• Hawkscanner wrote:Question for you Broncos fans ...

1) We've been far more focused on looking at Denver's Defense, we've neglected the obvious. Could you tell us more about Denver's OFFENSE (the type of offense they like to run, X's and O's, etc.)? Anything you guys could tell Seahawks fans would be helpful.

2) In doing some research, it looks to me like a heck of a lot of what the Broncos do on Offense involves Knowshon Moreno (both rushing and in passing game). Is that accurate and if so, how do they use him?

Bronco fan here! I'll take a shot at #2: KM is arguably the second most important offensive piece after you know who. At the start of the season I would have argued Clady, but we've got a back up in there now, and outside of the Mathis debacle, he's been doing great, so...

KM in the passing game is invaluable. You only have to look back at the baltimore game last year to see how anemic the O gets without him. We're better off this year as MB has come on strong of late and gotten better in the pass pro. KM's patient running in the screen game is a thing to behold, though I'm not sure how many screens we'll see as you guys don't (need) to blitz much. Between the tackles he does allright, but he is no lynch, that's for sure.

Can you guys tell me more about your Steve Atwater clone Kam? I know the lack of success for top tier TEs has been largely attributed to his brilliant play. In those games did you guys play man? Also, on the front line, your DL v our OL, what matchup do you expect to win?
    Eldorado
    NET Practice Squad

• CHawk wrote:Hey Broncos fans

How did Terrence Knighton get the nickname "Pot Roast"

He actually got it on his old team Jacksonville Jaguars. He is not excited by the name, but it still sticks.

Here is something i found on the net when someone asked him about it.
    ==============================
    Q: I know your nickname is "Pot Roast." Where did that come from?
    A: One of my teammates, my rookie year, named Clint Ingram. I ordered pot roast on the flight, and it was dark on the plane, so the lady was walking down the aisle saying, "Pot roast? Pot roast?" So I raised my hand, and my teammate said, "You raised your hand like that's your name, so I'm going to call you that from now on." He was the team comedian, and he sat right behind me. He's just one of those guys who you don't want to see anything, because he'll make a joke out of it.
    Q: When you came to Denver, did guys know that was your nickname?
    A: I can't get rid of it. Oh, yeah, guys on the team knew. I guess it just fits me.
    johntfootball
    NET Bench Warmer

• Eldorado wrote:Can you guys tell me more about your Steve Atwater clone Kam? I know the lack of success for top tier TEs has been largely attributed to his brilliant play. In those games did you guys play man? Also, on the front line, your DL v our OL, what matchup do you expect to win?

Well, Chancellor's nickname is "Bam-Bam". Does that tell you something? No, seriously Steve Atwater is a great comparison. Kam Chancellor is HUGE for a Strong Safety (6'3" 232 Pounds) -- big as many LB's out there. He's the real enforcer on this team -- a big time hitter. But he's far more than that. He has great football instincts, is a very sure tackler, and is extremely good in coverage. He's shut down some of the best TE's in the game (Jimmy Graham basically disappeared against him and Vernon Davis was a non-factor). He'll go down as the 2nd Best Strong Safety in Seahawks history (Kenny Easley, who's in the Ring of Honor and would have been a HOF'er if he'd played long enough, being #1).

As far as our DL vs. the Denver OL -- I would expect huge penetration issues for the Broncos all across the board. With the loss of Clady, Bennett, Avril, and Clemons will be problematic. BUT, inside too, Mebane, McDaniel, and McDonald get a LOT of push inside. I envision it being a challenge for sure.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• I would like to give you a real deep X's and O's look into the offense, but funnily enough I've looked more at our Oline and defensive play this year than offensive play calling. There are loads of good resources and articles online though, try SBNation. I will try and give you a few bits though, and what I will say is we have an incredibly varied offense with a huge number of formations and plays. Peyton is always trying to see what the defense is in and then isolate the matchup he wants. Most teams play us in a 2 deep shell, so there's a lot of underneath stuff - such as crossers, pick plays, and the 'levels' concept Peyton loves. Also a heck of a lot of screens, but also lots of fake screens too. DT and KM are the prime recipients of these. Our WRs are very good blockers which helps us in this area. Having said that, when teams get more aggressive and come out of a 2 deep look, Peyton isn't afraid to go deep, either to Decker on double moves or DT on go routes.

In the SB, I would say look for a lot of bunches and stacked releases to counter the physicality of your DB's. We don't see much in the way of back shoulder throws (probably because are receivers are usually able to get open on their route!) but I think we may see some in this game. The few you do see tend to go to Decker, but if Seattle are playing tight coverage this could be a nice option. We will probably try and beat you guys deep as well because you are more aggressive, but that will mean Peyton needs time in the pocket.

Let me just say a word about that Dline OLine battle as well. I think our OLine will stand up a bit better than some think. Obviously your DLine is a very good pass rushing unit, but our OLine are the best protectors in the league statistically. They were also rated the number 1 OLine in the league by PFF this year. Clark and Beadles have struggled at times which is why I suggested you will look to attack the left, but I don't think this battle will be completely one sided. Louis Vasquez is possibly the best guard in the league and Manny Ramirez has come into his own as a center. Orlando Franklin can struggle with speed rush (but is a road grader in the run game). One key might be the hurry up offense. You guys love to rotate on that front to stay fresh, so Im sure Peyton will want to hurry it up and keep certain guys on the field for drives at a time. I really think this battle in the trenches will go a long way to deciding the game. It will no doubt be fascinating, I think we will see positive plays from both teams, but I probably do give Seattle the slight edge. (BTW if Clady were healthy I would be a LOT more optimistic about this game, I think his loss is huge).
    aulaza
    NET Bench Warmer

• aulaza wrote:I would like to give you a real deep X's and O's look into the offense, but funnily enough I've looked more at our Oline and defensive play this year than offensive play calling. There are loads of good resources and articles online though, try SBNation. I will try and give you a few bits though, and what I will say is we have an incredibly varied offense with a huge number of formations and plays. Peyton is always trying to see what the defense is in and then isolate the matchup he wants. Most teams play us in a 2 deep shell, so there's a lot of underneath stuff - such as crossers, pick plays, and the 'levels' concept Peyton loves. Also a heck of a lot of screens, but also lots of fake screens too. DT and KM are the prime recipients of these. Our WRs are very good blockers which helps us in this area. Having said that, when teams get more aggressive and come out of a 2 deep look, Peyton isn't afraid to go deep, either to Decker on double moves or DT on go routes.

In the SB, I would say look for a lot of bunches and stacked releases to counter the physicality of your DB's. We don't see much in the way of back shoulder throws (probably because are receivers are usually able to get open on their route!) but I think we may see some in this game. The few you do see tend to go to Decker, but if Seattle are playing tight coverage this could be a nice option. We will probably try and beat you guys deep as well because you are more aggressive, but that will mean Peyton needs time in the pocket.

Let me just say a word about that Dline OLine battle as well. I think our OLine will stand up a bit better than some think. Obviously your DLine is a very good pass rushing unit, but our OLine are the best protectors in the league statistically. They were also rated the number 1 OLine in the league by PFF this year. Clark and Beadles have struggled at times which is why I suggested you will look to attack the left, but I don't think this battle will be completely one sided. Louis Vasquez is possibly the best guard in the league and Manny Ramirez has come into his own as a center. Orlando Franklin can struggle with speed rush (but is a road grader in the run game). One key might be the hurry up offense. You guys love to rotate on that front to stay fresh, so Im sure Peyton will want to hurry it up and keep certain guys on the field for drives at a time. I really think this battle in the trenches will go a long way to deciding the game. It will no doubt be fascinating, I think we will see positive plays from both teams, but I probably do give Seattle the slight edge. (BTW if Clady were healthy I would be a LOT more optimistic about this game, I think his loss is huge).

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. I'd say that if you like watching O-Line and D-Line play, you're going to get your money's worth in this game. I just hope I end up enjoying things far more than you. ;)

Speaking of Offensive Line, you may be the perfect person to ask this question to (and any other Broncos fans can feel free to chime in as well). Despite the stats of the Broncos Offensive Line this year, many experts have said that in reality Denver's O-Line is just "OK". What they are saying is that Peyton Manning makes the members of that O-Line better than they actually are, as he is able to recognize things at the line of scrimmage and slide the protections to where he needs it. Would you say that's a fair or unfair assessment? Agree or Disagree and WHY?
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• MizzouHawkGal wrote:This is getting fun. It reminds me why Denver is so hated. Fact is you guys played NOBODY this year and you'll find that out in 11 days. I am starting to understand why it's so fun to be a Steeler fan now.... .the AFC has no analog for our defense. Believe that just for your sanity at least.:)

You do know both Sherman and Thomas accept and know EXACTLY what Peyton is going to try? And Maxwell is barely less than Sherman? Or that Kam just doesn't care because he will blow up your crossing routes?

Tell me differently WITH DVOA. I know you discount FO but most here don't given it's actually far more right than wrong.

Sherman and Maxwell arent that different, sigh.

Seattle's D is good but they havent faced an offense like Denver.

Not to mention you wont have the 12th man on your side.

Here's thing, MOST Den fans can at least give reasons Sea could win while none of you think its remotely possible for Sea to lose.

If we pull the greatest upset in NFL history, hopefully yall will be ok.
    BroncosFan1938
    NET Bench Warmer

• 1- What's the weak link to the Seattle defense if any?

2- Is the Sea OL as bad as some have said, like how Peyton wouldnt survive behind it if he was the Hawks QB. They dont seem that bad from what i've seen.

3- Do you think Sherman will cover DThomas most of the game or stay at LCB.
    BroncosFan1938
    NET Bench Warmer

• Without reading through this entire thread, I wonder how much Sherman has been a distraction since the SF game in the eyes of Seahawk fans? I mean, he was a bit over the top with the now famous post game interview, but do Seattle fans think that was a bad gesture?

He is a great player no doubt and we believe he will be up against DT in the game but with the way our receiving corps have been so utilized, he really doesn't seem to be a factor. Peyton will just avoid where ever he is on the field.
    Broncomaniac69
    NET Bench Warmer

• For Bronco fans....how is your punt return special teams and your punting game? Also the kicking game? Thanks.
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    Gollum had a ring...Bilbo took it...Frodo had it...Gollum got it back.
    Gollum never had OUR ring.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Seahawkfan80 wrote:For Bronco fans....how is your punt return special teams and your punting game? Also the kicking game? Thanks.

Our punter? Hard to say. He hasn't had to punt much lately. Our kicker? He's ok...:)
    Eldorado
    NET Practice Squad

• BroncosFan1938 wrote:1- What's the weak link to the Seattle defense if any?

2- Is the Sea OL as bad as some have said, like how Peyton wouldnt survive behind it if he was the Hawks QB. They dont seem that bad from what i've seen.

3- Do you think Sherman will cover DThomas most of the game or stay at LCB.

I shall take a stab at Numma 2. They were kinda weak in blocking while they were broken down during the heart of this year. At this moment in time, they are probably working on 7 cylinders working up to 8. They may be there on gameday. It all depends on the weather at this point. If Manning did come to us when we drafted Wilson, it would have been ugly. Our offensive line was harsh and unable to get out of their own way much less block the other team. That has all changed as we have revamped the whole front line and they are finally healthy as I said we were hurt for most of the year.
    #3. I dont think that we will separate one back for one of your wide receivers. I think they will play their corner or safety locations and deal with what comes their way. PLug and play DBs are what we have now and it seems to work out ok for us.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Eldorado wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:For Bronco fans....how is your punt return special teams and your punting game? Also the kicking game? Thanks.

Our punter? Hard to say. He hasn't had to punt much lately. Our kicker? He's ok...:)

Ahhh Bench warming..LOL
    Who on special teams do you use for gunners? Lane is a great fast one on our team and I would almost nickname him the flash....if that name was not taken by Marvel Comic books. LOL
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• If we depend on a field goal, you all should know how much we love Matt Prater. He did break the record for longest field goal in history this season and he's pretty much clutch for us like Jason Elam was.

If Trindon Holliday is returning kicks? We gasp for air while holding our breaths with the fumble problems that he has had. That's why Decker has been back there lately.

As far as coverage, we've been sub par. Not all that great. Which is a scary part of the game coming up.
    Broncomaniac69
    NET Bench Warmer

• Of course I'm going to rub off as homerish. But I feel like we have one of the (not the) best returners in the game. He's very undersized so it's harder for him to make a lane.. but when he does he's gone. Here is footage of him last year (and some of him in Hou)

Always an X factor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsMEENp3b3M
    Posting behind enemy lines
    Denver Mike
    NET Bench Warmer

• Denver Mike wrote:Of course I'm going to rub off as homerish. But I feel like we have one of the (not the) best returners in the game. He's very undersized so it's harder for him to make a lane.. but when he does he's gone. Here is footage of him last year (and some of him in Hou)

Always an X factor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsMEENp3b3M

Yeah, but we have Lockette:

jawilljr
    NET Practice Squad

• Lockettee against Holliday:

jawilljr
    NET Practice Squad

• BroncosFan1938 wrote:1- What's the weak link to the Seattle defense if any?

Very hard to say -- because there aren't a whole lot of true weaknesses when it comes to this defense honestly. I would have to say (from my vantage point) that Bruce Irvin has been solid in his conversion to LB, but he's not been elite by any means. His defense against the run was a real issue last year, but this year I'd say he's been probably average. He hadn't had a lot of opportunities in pass coverage prior to this year and while I'd say he's done a decent job, he's not in that elite category by any means. That and there have been times when Seattle has been vulnerable to big runs by opposing RB's (IMO the result of over-aggressiveness at times). They've really righted the ship however on that and were very solid against the run down the stretch.

BroncosFan1938 wrote:2- Is the Sea OL as bad as some have said, like how Peyton wouldnt survive behind it if he was the Hawks QB. They dont seem that bad from what i've seen.

Right now, no. Everyone is finally healthy and I'd say that the pass protection has been in the average to above average range. Earlier this season, it was run for your life baby. As I said earlier, at one point in the season, the Seahawks had 4 of its 5 starting linemen out … and Russell Wilson felt the brunt of it. According to Pro Football Focus, Russell Wilson was the most pressured QB in the league in 2013 (pressured on 43.8% of his drop back passes). Injuries to the Offensive Line caused their overall rating to plummet, as Football Outsiders rated them the worst pass blocking offensive line in all of football. It makes what Russell Wilson ended up accomplishing this year all that much more impressive.

If Peyton had been here I think he would have helped for sure, as he would have been able to slide protections to assist. However, guys like Paul McQuistan are just so dang slow footed it just wouldn't have mattered much. When they had him in there as a LT against Robert Quinn, it wasn't pretty.

BroncosFan1938 wrote:3- Do you think Sherman will cover DThomas most of the game or stay at LCB.

Totally depends on the situation. I highly doubt that he'll get him 1:1 all afternoon. As I mentioned back on page 1, Seattle has a LOT of guys who are great cover corners.

Sherman led the league in interceptions (8) -- and had a passer rating against of only 47.3 (best in the NFL). On the other side, Byron Maxwell had a passer rating against of 47.8 (2nd in the NFL) in limited duty from the time he took over as a starter. And if Denver decides to line him up in the slot, Walter Thurmond has been a very good nickel corner for Seattle this season, as he has a passer rating against of just 67.4 (13th in the NFL -- that was better than either Dominque Rogers-Cromartie or the Patriot’s Aqib Talib). If Seattle decides to go with a dime package, Jeremy Lane would come in, who has also been lights out when he's been given an opportunity. So, no -- I would say that it totally depends on the situation, though I would surmise that DThomas WILL see a whole heck of a lot of #25.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• BroncosFan1938 wrote:Here's thing, MOST Den fans can at least give reasons Sea could win while none of you think its remotely possible for Sea to lose.

If we pull the greatest upset in NFL history, hopefully yall will be ok.

I'm not one of those who thinks that Denver can't win this thing whatsoever. After all, Peyton Manning is the great equalizer here. That, injuries, turnovers, DB falling down on a play and leaving a WR wide open, etc. -- all CAN happen. This is the NFL where things like that happen.

That said, I DO believe that in the end Seattle will be the ones hoisting the Lombardi Trophy. And I say that because I believe that the match-up that is truly going to decide things is how Denver's DEFENSE performs against Seattle's OFFENSE. The question is going to be, "Can Denver slow/shut down Marshawn Lynch?" If Lynch rumbles for 120 yards+ in this game, I'd contend that Seattle is going to win this ball game. It's no secret that Seattle wants to run the football, chew up the clock, and keep Peyton Manning OFF the football field. Manning and the Broncos can't score if they're not on the field. Of course, Jack Del Rio knows that, which is why they're going to be gearing up to stop the run. Carroll knows that as well, which is why the passing game for Seattle is going to play a prominent role as well -- pass to set up the run.

Though many in the media are saying Denver is going to walk away with this one, there are some who are contending it's Seattle who will ultimately prevail. Let me give you a feel for what the media has been saying on talk radio up here this past week.

On Friday, ESPN's John Clayton and Mike Sando joined former Seahawks, Colts, and UW Husky QB Brock Huard and Danny O'Neil on 710 ESPN for a bit of a roundtable discussion on the game. In brief, I don't think Denver fans would be all that pleased with their assessment of the Broncos and their chances in this game. Here is a snippet from the end of that conversation ...

Mike Sando on 710 ESPN Seattle on Friday (1/24/14) ...

Sando: “I look at the great offense of the Broncos and the great defense of the Seahawks. I think they’re each going to have their moments. And to me, one of the exercises I did after the game last week was -- just looking at where the Broncos defense and the Seahawks offense fit into the conversation. And when you look at divisional realignment in 2000, there’s been 12 seasons since then. So, 32 teams times 12 seasons means there’s been 384 defenses since then. And this Broncos defense ranks 312th in Points Allowed per Game of all of those. And the Seahawks offense in scoring is 60th. So to me, they have to -- Seattle has to take advantage of that defense and I think they have a good chance of doing it. But that’s probably where this game could be really won for Seattle in a way that no one’s really looking at right now.”

[For those who are interested, you can listen to the entire podcast at the link below]
    Source:
    http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9966809&p=1007&n=Brock%20and%20Danny

You guys must be hearing similar Pro-Bronco stuff back there in Denver, I imagine.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• I’ve got a question for you Broncos fans that I’m going to premise with this ...

As I'm sure you guys are all aware of, Percy Harvin has been practicing and it’s been announced that he'll play in the Super Bowl. When totally healthy, he is absolutely electric and is the kind of guy that can really take the top off a defense ...

Harvin’s been out most of the year though, so what exactly Seattle is going to get out of him is a bit of a mystery. He missed all of training camp and most of the season due to hip surgery. He came back for the Vikings game, made some eye popping plays, but aggravated that hip and was on the shelf the rest of the regular season. He came back for the Saints Divisional game, but was knocked out of the game with a concussion in the 2nd Quarter. He’s reportedly healthy again, but he’s an X-Factor for sure.

When he’s healthy, his speed, change of direction, athleticism, and overall skill and versatility can give opposing defensive coordinators fits. John Moffit (former Seahawk from last year's squad who was in training camp with the Hawks this year and ended up in Denver briefly) totally agrees with that assessment -- as he said that's Harvin's one of a handful of guys in the league who are truly special and can really alter a game.

And we saw him do exactly that in the Minnesota game. When he came in the game, all of a sudden those CB's and Safeties started backing off. Former Seahawk Dave Wyman wrote a great piece for 710 ESPN after the Minnesota game in which he chronicled his observations of the effect Harvin had in that game. I'd highly recommend it ...

The Percy Harvin Effect -- Dave Wyman

When the Seahawks put him in on a kickoff in that Vikings game, this is what happened (click on link below for video clip) ...

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/Percy-Harvin-58-yard-kick-return/48d3ed8e-5438-47cd-bcb5-e205f26fd387

Coming in to this game, I know the Broncos secondary is pretty banged up. So my 2 part question I have for Broncos fans is this ...

1) Do you see Percy Harvin changing the way that Jack Del Rio and the Broncos attack Seattle's Offense? If so, how?

2) How do you believe Del Rio will look to defend against Harvin? Do they have the horses at this point in the season to effectively do so?
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• Hawkscanner wrote:
    BroncosFan1938 wrote:2- Is the Sea OL as bad as some have said, like how Peyton wouldnt survive behind it if he was the Hawks QB. They dont seem that bad from what i've seen.

Right now, no. Everyone is finally healthy and I'd say that the pass protection has been in the average to above average range. Earlier this season, it was run for your life baby. As I said earlier, at one point in the season, the Seahawks had 4 of its 5 starting linemen out … and Russell Wilson felt the brunt of it. According to Pro Football Focus, Russell Wilson was the most pressured QB in the league in 2013 (pressured on 43.8% of his drop back passes). Injuries to the Offensive Line caused their overall rating to plummet, as Football Outsiders rated them the worst pass blocking offensive line in all of football. It makes what Russell Wilson ended up accomplishing this year all that much more impressive.

If Peyton had been here I think he would have helped for sure, as he would have been able to slide protections to assist. However, guys like Paul McQuistan are just so dang slow footed it just wouldn't have mattered much. When they had him in there as a LT against Robert Quinn, it wasn't pretty.

I don't agree. I don't think Manning would have fared nearly as well as Wilson did in Seattle early on with the OL injuries especially considering the caliber of defenses we've faced. The saving grace for Seattle was Wilson's mobility and his innate ability to make accurate throws on the run. Manning isn't close to being as mobile as Wilson and I don't think he throws nearly as well on the run.
    :49ersmall: How many 49ers fans does it take to change a light bulb? They don't, they just talk about the ones they had. :49ersmall:
    lsheldon
    NET Veteran

• Hawkscanner wrote:
    aulaza wrote:I would like to give you a real deep X's and O's look into the offense, but funnily enough I've looked more at our Oline and defensive play this year than offensive play calling. There are loads of good resources and articles online though, try SBNation. I will try and give you a few bits though, and what I will say is we have an incredibly varied offense with a huge number of formations and plays. Peyton is always trying to see what the defense is in and then isolate the matchup he wants. Most teams play us in a 2 deep shell, so there's a lot of underneath stuff - such as crossers, pick plays, and the 'levels' concept Peyton loves. Also a heck of a lot of screens, but also lots of fake screens too. DT and KM are the prime recipients of these. Our WRs are very good blockers which helps us in this area. Having said that, when teams get more aggressive and come out of a 2 deep look, Peyton isn't afraid to go deep, either to Decker on double moves or DT on go routes.

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. I'd say that if you like watching O-Line and D-Line play, you're going to get your money's worth in this game. I just hope I end up enjoying things far more than you. ;)

Speaking of Offensive Line, you may be the perfect person to ask this question to (and any other Broncos fans can feel free to chime in as well). Despite the stats of the Broncos Offensive Line this year, many experts have said that in reality Denver's O-Line is just "OK". What they are saying is that Peyton Manning makes the members of that O-Line better than they actually are, as he is able to recognize things at the line of scrimmage and slide the protections to where he needs it. Would you say that's a fair or unfair assessment? Agree or Disagree and WHY?

Well, I would say they are better than just OK. In terms of protection they are one of the best units in the league, but there is no doubt Peyton makes them better. I think Chris Clark allows a lot more sacks on a lesser QB, as does Beadles. Peyton does a couple of things that really help out.

1) He often gets the ball out quick and doesn't take sacks. Usually effective pressure against us ends with incompletions, not sacks.
    2) He is able to put the Line in the best position possible to be successful, and typically they know if/where any blitzes are coming.
    3) Sliding around and up in the pocket and feeling the rush is something Peyton does very well, which helps these guys, like I say, especially Clark.

Having said that, lets give some love to the line itself. When Clady went down early season, I thought it was a disaster. However, Chris Clark has done a really nice job apart from the Indy game. These guys are good out in space, blocking downfield on screens, Beadles in excellent pulling and the whole right side tends to get nice push in the run game. Clark's run blocking has improved a lot as well, he is also good on the move. When Tebow was in town, we had the number 1 rushing offense in the league so (although personnel has changed a bit), we have had a good line, now the focus has just changed to pass pro.

Overall, yes with a QB not named Peyton this line would have worse stats, but they have still done a good job. If Clady were playing and healthy I believe they really would be a great unit, but even without him they've been good. The weaknesses, like I say Clark can sometimes get overmatched and Beadles pass pro hasn't been good and Franklin can struggle with speed.

Just a small word on TE and RB blocking. Moreno is a pretty good pass protector. He is pretty adept at recognising blitzes and making good enough blocks to give Peyton time. Ball struggled initially but has come a long way in this department, to the point where now they trust him enough to leave him in protection. As for the TE's Julius Thomas really isn't a good run blocker, which is somewhat of a weakness for us. Virgil Green is our best blocking TE but obviously doesn't have the attributes of Thomas. Tamme is more of a receiver as well and Dreessen is hurt. You will see Thomas 90% of the time so I'm sure you guys will look to attack him in the run game.
    aulaza
    NET Bench Warmer

• Also, as for our ST unit, at the start of the season I thought we had one of the best in the league. However, as the season has gone on, things have got worse.

Firstly, our returning has become a bit of a problem. The coaches clearly don't trust Holliday on punt returns and Decker has taken over this role now (Welker didn't do that great a job either). On Kick returns it will still be Trindon, he is either a big play or a booboo waiting to happen, so I guess that goes both ways.

As for our punter, he doesn't do a whole lot of work but by and large he does a nice job, probably one of the better punters around.

Prater obviously is a strength in terms of his leg, he has only missed 2 kicks this year (1 reg. season 1 playoffs)

Our punt and kickoff coverage units are an interesting one, from being very good at the start of the season, they have steadily gotten worse and worse for a reason I don't understand. I thought we were getting worse in the department until eventually we had one returned on us in the KC game, which I wasn't surprised by. Having said that, we haven't really allowed much recently so maybe they've tightened up again. On punts our gunners I believe are Omar Bolden and Andre Caldwell, someone correct me if I'm wrong. David Bruton is our best ST and has at least one blocked punt this year. LB's Steven Johnson and Nate Irving are also good STers.
    aulaza
    NET Bench Warmer

• Seahawkfan80 wrote:For Bronco fans....how is your punt return special teams and your punting game? Also the kicking game? Thanks.

The Broncos have the best FG kicker in the game. Matt Prater holds the record for the longest field goal in the NFL, leads the league in touchbacks, and missed only one FG in the regular season. He's also NEVER missed a game winning or tying kick attempt.

Our punter is average. He's decent at dropping it inside the 20, but beyond that he's nothing special.

Decker is the punt returner in the playoffs. He's sure handed, and can pop a good return if the has the blocking in front of him. Trindon Holliday is our KO returner. He's one of the 3 fastest men in the NFL. The problem is that he can't be trusted not to fumble. That's why he's limited to KO returns in the playoffs. He had a return for a TD called back due to a penalty in an earlier playoff game.
    He can be a game changer. Unfortunately, with his fumbles he doesn't always change the game for the better.

Kick coverage teams are average. There have been some long returns against Denver during the season, including one for a TD. Most kickoffs don't need to be covered with Prater kicking them out of the back of the endzone.
    BroncosFan
    NET Rookie

• Hawkscanner wrote:
    BroncosFan1938 wrote:1- What's the weak link to the Seattle defense if any?

Very hard to say -- because there aren't a whole lot of true weaknesses when it comes to this defense honestly. I would have to say (from my vantage point) that Bruce Irvin has been solid in his conversion to LB, but he's not been elite by any means. His defense against the run was a real issue last year, but this year I'd say he's been probably average. He hadn't had a lot of opportunities in pass coverage prior to this year and while I'd say he's done a decent job, he's not in that elite category by any means. That and there have been times when Seattle has been vulnerable to big runs by opposing RB's (IMO the result of over-aggressiveness at times). They've really righted the ship however on that and were very solid against the run down the stretch. <Hawkscanner>

After a night of sleep and nightmares....Non football related...I did end up with an answer. Coaching may hurt a tiny bit. I dont expect it, but it is the superbowl. The only thing I could think of is if our defense is told to play a soft zone. Peyton can demoralize a soft zone with his receivers given time. I think the maximum amount of time he will get is gonna be in the 3 sec range. That is enuff time to hit a short slant if we play soft zone. I still think we will probably end up playing press man for the first half at least.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• BroncosFan wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:For Bronco fans....how is your punt return special teams and your punting game? Also the kicking game? Thanks.

The Broncos have the best FG kicker in the game. Matt Prater holds the record for the longest field goal in the NFL, leads the league in touchbacks, and missed only one FG in the regular season. He's also NEVER missed a game winning or tying kick attempt.

Not to take anything away from Prater, as I'm sure he's good, but playing at Mile High has some benefits ;)
    Hey, Phil Rivers, you just got an Earl Necklace!
    duckypoo
    NET Starter

• Hawkscanner wrote:Coming in to this game, I know the Broncos secondary is pretty banged up. So my 2 part question I have for Broncos fans is this ...

1) Do you see Percy Harvin changing the way that Jack Del Rio and the Broncos attack Seattle's Offense? If so, how?

2) How do you believe Del Rio will look to defend against Harvin? Do they have the horses at this point in the season to effectively do so?

I don't see us changing anything even if he makes it on the field. There hasn't been enough opportunity or evidence this season to believe he can be your X-factor.

After aggravating the hip and then getting a concussion, I don't see him being the same guy right now. Maybe next season after some more healing time, he would be someone to fear again.
    Broncomaniac69
    NET Bench Warmer

• Broncomaniac69 wrote:
    Hawkscanner wrote:Coming in to this game, I know the Broncos secondary is pretty banged up. So my 2 part question I have for Broncos fans is this ...

I don't see us changing anything even if he makes it on the field. There hasn't been enough opportunity or evidence this season to believe he can be your X-factor.

After aggravating the hip and then getting a concussion, I don't see him being the same guy right now. Maybe next season after some more healing time, he would be someone to fear again.

Percy is healthy now. He's had three weeks to recover from the New Orleans game. Unless your guys go head hunting like NO did to intentionally put him out of the game, he will have a definite impact. A healthy Percy Harvin will give Seattle the best WR in that game. Denver isn't exactly stacked in the secondary.
    :49ersmall: How many 49ers fans does it take to change a light bulb? They don't, they just talk about the ones they had. :49ersmall:
    lsheldon
    NET Veteran

• Broncomaniac69 wrote:
    Hawkscanner wrote:Coming in to this game, I know the Broncos secondary is pretty banged up. So my 2 part question I have for Broncos fans is this ...

I know that if I'm a Denver fan, I'm hoping you're right. All I know is this -- when he was out on the field in that Vikings game, he made some eye popping plays. That electric dynamic speed that you see on the Youtube video I posted ... was there. What shelved him for the rest of the season after that was tightness/soreness in that hip from exertion. Over and over again we were told there was nothing structurally damaged or wrong -- nothing injured. It was simply a matter of his body getting used to its new structure. You see, when he came in to the league, he had a hip condition. Basically, the structure of his hip was different from that of a normal person. This surgery corrected that. So, it's basically taken his body all this time to get used to how a normal hip is supposed to function.

This guy is one of the most driven players that I've ever seen. In many ways, he kind of reminds me of Marshawn Lynch in that way -- he wants to win. Badly. He has been champing at the bit for weeks now to get out on the field -- reportedly angry in a way that he can't do so. So, now he's been finally cleared to play. This guy was given a huge contract in the offseason ... and I believe he WANTS to prove to himself and to everyone else that he's worth it. He wants more than anything to win a Super Bowl ring, so I see this guy being highly motivated coming in to this game. This will be the biggest game of his life ... and I believe he's going to look to make a statement. We'll see for sure.
    Last edited by Hawkscanner on Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• lsheldon wrote:
    Broncomaniac69 wrote:

Percy is healthy now. He's had three weeks to recover from the New Orleans game. Unless your guys go head hunting like NO did to intentionally put him out of the game, he will have a definite impact. A healthy Percy Harvin will give Seattle the best WR in that game. Denver isn't exactly stacked in the secondary.

What!? Percy or no, the best receiver in this game is Demaryius Thomas. DT's second best season to date is still better than anything PH has done.
    Eldorado
    NET Practice Squad

• Eldorado wrote:What!? Percy or no, the best receiver in this game is Demaryius Thomas. DT's second best season to date is still better than anything PH has done.

Well, there is a reason that Pete Carroll and John Schneider traded 3 draft choices to get this guy.

See if this puts things in to perspective -- last year, Percy Harvin was #5 in the NFL in Yards After the Catch (he gained 551 YAC) at a clip of 8.9 YAC. He had 677 Yards in total on 62 Catches and was being talked about as being an MVP Candidate.

Now think about all of that for just a second. That was on a Minnesota team with a QB (Ponder) who had a crappy arm. The Viking Offense with him was basically to just throw little smoke screens to him at or behind the Line of Scrimmage and let Percy do his thing -- and the numbers absolutely show that. The average distance of the passes thrown to him (through the air) last year -- just 2.03 Yards/Reception. 551 of the 677 Yards gained were all on Percy.

In other words, last year all you had to do is just get him the ball ... and he was an almost automatic instant 1st Down.

Imagine what he can do with a QB in Russell Wilson who has a great arm and is legitimate playmaker. If this guy is truly healthy, wooooo!
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• Hawkscanner wrote:
    Eldorado wrote:What!? Percy or no, the best receiver in this game is Demaryius Thomas. DT's second best season to date is still better than anything PH has done.

Well, there is a reason that Pete Carroll and John Schneider traded 3 draft choices to get this guy.

See if this puts things in to perspective -- last year, Percy Harvin was #5 in the NFL in Yards After the Catch (he gained 551 YAC) at a clip of 8.9 YAC. He had 677 Yards in total on 62 Catches and was being talked about as being an MVP Candidate.

Now think about all of that for just a second. That was on a Minnesota team with a QB (Ponder) who had a crappy arm. The Viking Offense with him was basically to just throw little smoke screens to him at or behind the Line of Scrimmage and let Percy do his thing -- and the numbers absolutely show that. The average distance of the passes thrown to him (through the air) last year -- just 2.03 Yards/Reception. 551 of the 677 Yards gained were all on Percy.

In other words, last year all you had to do is just get him the ball ... and he was an almost automatic instant 1st Down.

Imagine what he can do with a QB in Russell Wilson who has a great arm and is legitimate playmaker. If this guy is truly healthy, wooooo!

You're telling me that Carroll wouldn't trade percy for DT straight up?
    Eldorado
    NET Practice Squad

• Eldorado wrote:
    Hawkscanner wrote:
    Eldorado wrote:What!? Percy or no, the best receiver in this game is Demaryius Thomas. DT's second best season to date is still better than anything PH has done.

Doubtful especially when you factor in respective ages. Again no disrespect to DT, but different receivers thrive better in different systems.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

• Polaris wrote:
    Eldorado wrote:
    Hawkscanner wrote:

Doubtful especially when you factor in respective ages. Again no disrespect to DT, but different receivers thrive better in different systems.

Come on guys. I'm trying to have a legit footbal discussion. Here, I'll go first: The broncos would trade Knowshon AND Monte Ball for Beast mode straight up, no prob.
    Eldorado
    NET Practice Squad

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:51 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE ARCHIVES ]

Information