Coach's Show on KIRO w/synopsis

kidhawk

Reaction score
Audio LInk: [urltargetblank]http://player.liquidcompass.net/KIROAM[/urltargetblank]

Usually sometime before 9:30 on Monday mornings following a game, so should be on soon.

Edit: It's over now. Synopsis is added to the thread

Abach

Reaction score
I know head coaches are supposed to be calm and collected, however I do wish Pete would sound more fiery and upset...

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Opens saying we need to find some answers for our issues that happened. Said we didn't execute well and they did some great execution on the Special Teams. Said we played much better in the second half but we still need to work on things.

Says there is a lot of frustration with the guys, but they'll deal with it and fight their ways back. Said the guys were really really disappointed that we weren't able to finish that game.

On the commitment to the running game...said we just played normal football. Said we weren't hitting it early but we kept at it and it showed in the second half.

On Rams drive scoring to answer late in the game. Said it's not something we are used to. Said they know they have to get that done.

Says they are using the same formula from last year on pass rush but they aren't getting the pressure they are used to. Said there are a few things they need to work on but wouldn't elaborate on those things.

Rough week for injuries. Marsh and Coleman both breaking their foot and Willson straining his groin all outside of actual game performance. Said we miss Maxwell and Wagner and Miller but that's not a reason for not winning.

On the officials. He says they know the refs aren't out to get them, but he understands how people can feel that way. Says they just have to deal with it.

On penalties. Said they are working on it. Said that they had 3 major penalties on a scoring drive and they just can't do that. He believes the offesne when rolling can overcome 5 yard penalties, but key defensive penalties result in other teams scoring more points and that can really hurt the outcome.

On the trade reaction. Said he thought the guys responded very well and the receiving group handled it very well. Said the guys understood and the team will move on. Said the trade was about the team moving forward being true to the team and that was the reason for the trade (wouldn't go into specifics).

Said he put a lot into making it work with his players (including Percy) and sometimes it doesn't work. Says he takes it hard when he can't make it work. Says he told John that he'd make it work when they agreed to make the trade and that he didn't get it done.

on Russell Wilson. Said that the game was a product of the players around him. Said Lynch ran very physically even if it didn't add up to a ton of yards. Said Cooper and Turbo came through today. Said Russell took advantage of his opportunities.

Says he's more encouraged today even after the loss. Says things are swinging in the right direction. He understands how people can be a bit down right now, but there's a lot of football left to play. Said we'll start getting injured guys back soon and that will help as well.

The fake punt return. Said we'd talked about it in the past but hadn't really worked on it. Said it shouldn't have really happened. Said we are usually more disciplined than that, but said they executed it perfectly and we have to give them some props.

Said he didn't think they'd try for the fake punt on 4th and 3 deep in their own territory. Said we should have had it covered but didn't.

Said several injured players are still day to day and there's no news on them.

Said they are always looking out for players to make the team better.

That's it for this show. He has a presser later today

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
I thought his answer was interesting when he was addressing the pass rush. He said that there would be some "changes" this week and that they were going to address that. Sounds like the Hawks have something cooking, a trade perhaps?
Or maybe Avril and Bennett will be used less and put back into their familiar role of last year.

Abach

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":fqj1ai0a said:
I thought his answer was interesting when he was addressing the pass rush. He said that there would be some "changes" this week and that they were going to address that. Sounds like the Hawks have something cooking, a trade perhaps?
Or maybe Avril and Bennett will be used less and put back into their familiar role of last year.
I interpreted that as they'll start using more blitz packages (I hope)

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Abach":ahr4xa4r said:
seahawk12thman":ahr4xa4r said:

This is exactly what Pete does with his Coach Speak. He puts stuff out there but leaves it ambiguous enough that it can be interpreted in a number of ways.

Seahawks4life

Reaction score
Abach":212y52mx said:
seahawk12thman":212y52mx said:

yes, time to get creative on the D side of ball.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Anytime Pete starts a sentence with "we didn't think" it's going to end badly.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Abach":3befnm8t said:
seahawk12thman":3befnm8t said:

I would like to see O'brien Schofield be the first and second down D end and use Avril, Bennett and Irvin as your situational pass rushers (Avril is not an every down D end like Clemons). Pete sounded pretty adamant that they are not going to change what they do schematically so I don't think you are going to see a lot of exotic blitz packages.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks as always for the synopsis David...

I don't feel as bad as I normally would after a loss to a team I consider sub par from us. It's a divisional game and we have owned them how many years straight? We were due to lose to them, especially in their place, at some point. They were lucky to get us during this time of injuries and vulnerability on the OL and D.

Our playmakers made plays and damn near won the game, but special teams was our Achille's Heel this time.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Aros":2uwa0eum said:

I don't feel as bad as I normally would after a loss to a team I consider sub par from us. It's a divisional game and we have owned them how many years straight? We were due to lose to them, especially in their place, at some point. They were lucky to get us during this time of injuries and vulnerability on the OL and D.

Or they were lucky to get us in an even-numbered year under Carroll. We lost to them in St. Louis in both 2010 and 2012.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
volsunghawk":34od6m71 said:
Or they were lucky to get us in an even-numbered year under Carroll. We lost to them in St. Louis in both 2010 and 2012.

Apparently I chose to block those out. :D

Barthawk

Reaction score
Aros":21f4bd3i said:

Our playmakers made plays and damn near won the game, but special teams was our Achille's Heel this time.

Agree Todd- ST reminded me of the Dave Arnold days...

defense was actually decent outside of the redzone and the second to final drive of the game. Redzone defense has been pretty bad w/o Wagner.

Penalties and pass rush.. those two areas improve, we will get rolling.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Abach":dgj62afd said:
I know head coaches are supposed to be calm and collected, however I do wish Pete would sound more fiery and upset...

C'mon man, Pete is the glue that keeps this thing together he needs to be calm and collected.

Adversity can be overcome and worked through, keep the faith.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Why didn't they ask him about the fake punt pass? Everybody who watches the Rams even casually knew that was coming.

Was it just execution or they just weren't ready for it? Did they really think the Rams were going to punt it in THAT situation?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I love Pete, but his arrogance and bravado bit him in the ass this week.

Jeff Fisher has run a successful fake punt/FG against us every year he has been in St. Louis. Saying "we knew about it, but didn't think he'd run it" is flat dumb. Especially considering the Rams had nothing to lose.

You just have to always expect some sort of trickery from a Jeff Fisher coached team. They do this EVERY year. Not just to us either.. they pull these shenanigans against the whole division. It's what they do.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
hoxrox":2tzyodui said:
Why didn't they ask him about the fake punt pass? Everybody who watches the Rams even casually knew that was coming.

Was it just execution or they just weren't ready for it? Did they really think the Rams were going to punt it in THAT situation?

See this quote from my synopsis above:

Said he didn't think they'd try for the fake punt on 4th and 3 deep in their own territory. Said we should have had it covered but didn't.

He said that although they didn't think they'd try it since losing the ball there would mean we could just run down the clock and kick the winning field goal, he added that we always have coverage assignments, but they still got open and made a play when they needed to.

To add my opinion....only a team who has absolutely NOTHING to lose would go for it in that position. They were already deep in their own territory. If they don't get a 1st down we are in field goal range. Although we give them props for calling the play and succeeding, they are basically dissing their own defense (as much as giving props to our offense) because by not kicking it they are saying they feel they have a better shot at converting there, then their defense being able to keep our offense from scoring.