Offense and playcalling

Hawks46

Reaction score
It seems to me the Hawks went to a lot of trouble to install a lot of plays to suit Harvin. My question:

If we had to run jet sweeps, etc. wouldn't Lockette be just as good at it ? I mean, the plays are already installed, it's just switching out the ball carrier. I know he doesn't have that "rb" background that Harvin does, but he's bigger, actually faster, and still has decent hands. Plus, the entire stadium wouldn't be expecting Lock to run that sweep. Harvin was obviously limited in his effectiveness because everyone knew what plays were being called for him.

It's being reported that he can't run the entire route tree. Richardson, on the other hand, is a much better pure receiver, and he's probably faster than Harvin as well. I liked what I saw out of him in preseason, he looked smooth and polished for a rookie.

I'm also hoping this gets Norwood on the field. We have talent, and we're sitting some of it to make a perpetually unhappy guy happy. Most of the media pundits out there are already lauding Seattle for recognizing a mistake and alleviating it quickly. I've already turned the page on this and want to see what we have moving forward.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I am half wondering if the last few weeks were an attempt to showcase Percy for a trade. It's now coming out that Seattle has been shopping Harvin for weeks. The season isn't that far along... I'm wondering if the ineffectiveness of the Harvin-centric offense was the final straw to just take what we could get and cut ties...

So to stick to your topic, I see us stripping a lot of the "Percy Harvin playbook" out of the offense. Not all of it I hope because that was my main complaint on the offense in the past is that we never ran screens and quick plays to beat cheating defenses. The last few weeks was WAY WAY to much though. Those plays should be a wrinkle in your offense, not the entire freaking offense :141847_bnono:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I doubt that Richardson and Lockette are faster than Harvin but with Harvin gone, now they are surely the two fastest on the team.

EDIT: I stand corrected....Lockette and Richardson ran a faster 40 yd dash at the combine than Harvin. Lockette ran 4.34, Richardson a 4.40, and Harvin was 4.41.

DJrmb

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1gmxho4z said:
I doubt that Richardson and Lockette are faster than Harvin but with Harvin gone, now they are surely the two fastest on the team.

People overrate Harvin's speed. He was damn fast but Lockette is faster if we're talking straight speed.

http://fansided.com/2014/06/11/ricardo-lockette-clocks-fastest-40-yard-dash-among-seahawks-wrs/

I think what you lose more with Harvin is the incredible vision he has on the field which makes him seem even faster than he is. He had vision like the great RB's which is what made him so great as a returner. I can't say that for either Lockette or Richardson yet...

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":169ulnpg said:
What do we do this week? We traded him on a Friday. Game plan is in. Do we just ad lib on offense?

I believe they will be using their random subsitution strategy.

DJrmb

Reaction score
hawkfan68":15zrdmm9 said:
Tech Worlds":15zrdmm9 said:
What do we do this week? We traded him on a Friday. Game plan is in. Do we just ad lib on offense?

LOL, that is a good one! :lol: I may get blasted for "speaking against the holy one" but I think Pete kinda put his foot in his mouth on that one!

Seriously though if the trade was agreed upon today then details have been getting worked on for a while. The jets did just call up today and say, "hey John, take a 4th round pick for Harvin?" John: "um, make it a conditional 2nd if he finds some way to play the whole season" Jets: "deal"...

All that to say, I'm sure the game plan already featured a lot of Lynch and Zero Percy Harvin......

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
hawkfan68":3am4qi4d said:
Tech Worlds":3am4qi4d said:

:lol:

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
As to the Harvin speed issue, there are different kinds of speeds, just like there are different kinds of strength.

Harvin has elite acceleration. He's one of the quickest guys off the line in the NFL. He doesn't have the best top end though. He'd probably be pacing or ahead of Lockette and Richardson in the first 15 feet, but then he'd lose to them at the halfway point. We've seen it this year: Harvin will get going, then start tripping. He's running too fast for his body to hold that top end.

Lockette has world class track speed. He also translates that well to the football field, but you can see the difference in that first 3-4 steps. Harvin will beat his guy by 3 yards within the first 7 yards. Lockette can beat almost anyone if you give him enough time and space; look at his long TD pass this year.....the CB was right on him and Lock just pulled away.

Richardson is probably the best football field speed. He's just so smooth, it's totally reminiscent of Desean Jackson. He doesn't look explosive like Harvin but gott dang he's so fast. I'd love to see him get a few chances to go long for a ball; even if it doesn't end up in a completion, the fact that the offense is willing to take that shot makes the defense honor it and not compress the box so much.

As to that whole Pete and the "substitution" comment....I honestly think they were in the middle of trading Percy and was just looking for something to say and it came out not making sense. They HAVE to know what personnel they have, where they are best utilized, and when to do it. Harvin was a featured guy, and to not use him in the most important position in the game is suspicious and he was looking for a reason. It might also be why we looked so out of synch that last serious and what ultimately cost us the game......the game plan obviously wasn't to go in and bench Harvin at the end.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
hawkfan68":h9jtglg8 said:

EDIT: I stand corrected....Lockette and Richardson ran a faster 40 yd dash at the combine than Harvin. Lockette ran 4.34, Richardson a 4.40, and Harvin was 4.41.
Never trust combine numbers. Harvin was recovering from being sick for his, plus some guys don't really lose speed when they put on pads...But most do. Percy doesn't.