6th Round of our Title Defense....

HawkWow

Reaction score
Earlier today, I had to remind my neighbor of who the world champs are. It seems there's at least a few here that could use this reminder as well. I chose a boxing analogy, likening this season to a pro fight. Let's call it a 16 rounder. Like us, the champ has a target on his back as he attempts to make his 1st defense of his title. His opponent's never been hungrier.

RD1: The champ's hometown is the venue and the visiting challenger is hungry, proud... but also visibly anxious. He watched the demolition the champ put on his last opponent in winning the crown. It's a very unfriendly atmosphere and the challenger is suddenly reminded he's a long way from home. He makes mistakes early, is countered, then becomes afraid to throw (at Sherm). Champ wins this round handily (36-16).

RD2: The champ is brimming with confidence and swag, but he's still young. He feels he can't lose. That's never good and he gets away from some of the things that made him champ. The ring is hot and the opponent hotter. Fighting for recognition and using the jab masterfully, the challenger outpoints the champ handily (30-21) and many at ringside felt it wasn't that close.

RD3: The champ, no longer familiar with losing, if only a rd, comes out smoking. He is defending against the very opponent he won the belt against. He fights once again with a sense of urgency and takes a huge lead back to his stool (17-0). But the challenger is a crafty, cagey old vet and comes storming back, like his legacy itself is at stake. The champ squeeks out a win (26-20) in this round and the world is whole again. Or is it?

RD4: Champ wins another rd, (27-17) though some see a change in philosophy and perhaps even weakness. Is it the manager, the trainer or is the champ just not executing? More questions than answers here, even in victory.

RD5: The champ is tired and perhaps even uninspired. He is flat and the manager and trainer decide to get cute. It's not rope-a-dope cute, but neither is it what won the title. The champ himself is feeling uneasy about the new plan of attack and even after taking the early part of the rd, he just never looks himself. Perhaps even questioning his own ability, while others question his desire. Not since rd 1 has the champ clearly dominated a rd from post to post. The challenger senses this and seeing the champ in defense mode, offering little in the way of offense, he jumps hard and often on the champ, skating away with a resounding, if not easy (30-23), rd 5 in this 16 rd fight.

RD6: @ STL. The champ is a proud champ and observers feel he just needs to get back to the fundamentals that won him the crown. He needs to know the opponent is in do or die mode and thus, quite dangerous. With 11 rds remaining in the fight, the champ is ahead 3 rds to 2, but dubious ass pretenders and contenders are making noise in the ranks. It is possible another loss here could prevent the champ from controlling his own destiny and perhaps worse, shake him to the point where he forgets who the goddamn champ is around here!!

Let's go Hawks! Close this out 9-2 and take the power back!

Yes, I know this was corny...but it's raining here. Turn those frowns upside down people! This fight is far from over and even if we don't control our own destiny, it won't be over until we are eliminated from the post. 3-2 is a far cry from that.

chrispy

Reaction score
... still early in the fight. But this fight requires winning 10, 11, or 12 of the 16 rounds to result in the win.

Splitting the season into 1/4s, as I've heard some do, we'd need to win the next 3 to be at 6-2 or on schedule to hit 12-4. Without a bye later in the season, it seems overly optimistic to make up games late. The hawks have run off win streaks much longer than that so it's completely feasible. But probably not if we have another game like last Sunday in the next month.

They're bloody and bruised right now, but not defeated. If someone is going to make a Rocky reference, let's use it now, before the Philly game.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Nice post.

Splitting the season into 1/4s, as I've heard some do, we'd need to win the next 3 to be at 6-2 or on schedule to hit 12-4. Without a bye later in the season, it seems overly optimistic to make up games late. The hawks have run off win streaks much longer than that so it's completely feasible. But probably not if we have another game like last Sunday in the next month.
NFL coaches do in fact split the season into quarters because focusing on a set of 4 games with the goal of winning 3 of them is something that is very doable as opposed to going in with a mindset of "we must win 9 more games and only have 11 chances left". It allows for negative thought to occur because the task ahead seems too insurmountable as opposed to taking it one step at a time in managable chunks.

Microfiber

Reaction score
I hate the term " World Champions" when we clearly don't play any of the other teams in the world, even though they would get smashed.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Thanks!

I left it open a bit in case anyone wanted to add some of their own quips: IE; We're floating like butterflies when we should be stinging like bees.

But I'm silly like that.

MizzouHawkGal,

Unsure if you read one of my previous posts where I cite our (sometimes heated) battles (last year) regarding the acquisition of Mr. Harvin (?). Even in this time when lots of finger pointing is directed at Harvin, I concede my concerns about him and his antics have been proven wrong to date and you were correct. IMO, what is ailing this team is not the fault of Harvin's and as badly as I wanted Tate over Harvin, I no longer feel that way. We just need to get Harvin downfield help to allow him to do his thing and Bevell (Pete) needs to put the joystick away until we have that help. Use him, of course, but stop running everything through him. But I would like to trade him if I thought it would get us a top tier LT. But that's more a compliment to Harvin, based on his value, than it is a desire for his departure. Having both would of course be the ultimate. Anyway, good call and I stand corrected.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Microfiber":geca33q4 said:
I hate the term " World Champions" when we clearly don't play any of the other teams in the world, even though they would get smashed.

The term is in operation now but geared towards the future. 100 years from now, Roger the 4th will have us playing football games instead of fighting wars. It will be for the Goodell of the world .

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HawkWow":3opv9fe6 said:
Thanks!

I left it open a bit in case anyone wanted to add some of their own quips: IE; We're floating like butterflies when we should be stinging like bees.

But I'm silly like that.

MizzouHawkGal,

Unsure if you read one of my previous posts where I cite our (sometimes heated) battles (last year) regarding the acquisition of Mr. Harvin (?). Even in this time when lots of finger pointing is directed at Harvin, I concede my concerns about him and his antics have been proven wrong to date and you were correct. IMO, what is ailing this team is not the fault of Harvin's and as badly as I wanted Tate over Harvin, I no longer feel that way. We just need to get Harvin downfield help to allow him to do his thing and Bevell (Pete) needs to put the joystick away until we have that help. Use him, of course, but stop running everything through him. But I would like to trade him if I thought it would get us a top tier LT. But that's more a compliment to Harvin, based on his value, than it is a desire for his departure. Having both would of course be the ultimate. Anyway, good call and I stand corrected.
Meh, even a broken clock is correct twice a day. No harm done. I do know for a fact that they need to get their heads out of their posterior's and execute the plays correctly. Like catching perfectly thrown TD passes or not whiffing completely on blocks might be a help don't you think?

chris98251

Reaction score
Microfiber":3itzwdgj said:

Yeah I can see how many advertisers will pony up millions to watch the United States NFL Champion Seattle Seahawks play against the Georgia Czars .

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":254b8o6c said:
HawkWow":254b8o6c said:
Thanks!

But I'm silly like that.

MizzouHawkGal,

Meh, even a broken clock is correct twice a day. No harm done. I do know for a fact that they need to get their heads out of their posterior's and execute the plays correctly. Like catching perfectly thrown TD passes or not whiffing completely on blocks might be a help don't you think?

: ) I do....and I actually still think Wilson is a serviceable QB. lol. Our fan base can get a bit dramatic at times. Anything less than a flawless performance = wheels off. 2 weeks ago RW was "the best player in the NFL", this week he is again...too damn short. Same goes for Harvin, he's short, too. I'm in the camp that feels there's few, if any, players in the league (right now) better than RW. He should be allowed an off day and YES, I was wrong about him, too.

On the field, Harvin continues to be exactly who I knew he was. Dynamic and explosive but not a one man show and never has been. There's pieces missing from this puzzle and Harvin's not the one hiding them. Pete and Bevell want him to hide those missing pieces, but that's just a bit unrealistic, imo.

Thanks 'sinceday1!