Specifics about Bevell and the playcalling

Tical21

Reaction score
I know we all love to throw Bevell on the fire when the offense is bad, but I'm going to try to go the constructive route. "Bevell was atrocious" doesn't help us identify or solve any of the problems. What, specifically, did you not like about the way the game was called today?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tical21":333pkdt4 said:
I know we all love to throw Bevell on the fire when the offense is bad, but I'm going to try to go the constructive route. "Bevell was atrocious" doesn't help us identify or solve any of the problems. What, specifically, did you not like about the way the game was called today?
An empty backfield with Lynch the outside receiver is pretty dumb. A 2nd jet sweep when they already showed they were after that play. Option play to Bryan Walters. Harvin in the backfield way too much.

Dallas was in man all day. Should have been rub route after rub route.

Good start?

I saw Pete in the presser saying that we needed to get more first downs to get in a rhythm with Lynch. I personally thought that was bunk, and all the empty sets and Harvin in the backfield plays were part of the reason Lynch never got more carries.

hawk45

Reaction score
1) Nearly every throw (maybe actually every throw) directed at Harvin behind the LOS.
2) No Lynch in the first half when most of our passing is PA based. How can that work.
3) Oh here's how, with empty sets!!! Yay!!! No Lynch at all to make linebackers or DBs hesitate in coverage and help wideouts get open, DL can just tee off and DBs and LBs can just sit in coverage and blanket our WRs. Harvin can get separation on a slant but no worries there because we won't ever throw to him in an actual route
4) What in God's name does a behind LOS flip to Walters accomplish when it isn't even working with Harvin? Worst play call I have ever seen.
5) Finally after 3 quarters handoff to Lynch, big gain first down. Next 2 plays we:
-handoff to Turbin
-handoff to Percy up the middle. That's capitalizing on Harvin's strengths alright
...leading to the inevitable punt.
6) Percy is on the sidelines on many 3rd and long plays, probably because they don't have anything in the playbook for him that is north-south.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Percy on the sidelines on 3rd down only to bring him in on 4th

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm usually quick to defend Bevell but its tough to do after today.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Option play to Brian Walters. One of the worst play calls I've ever seen

hawk45

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3gg2273f said:
Dallas was in man all day. Should have been rub route after rub route.

Good catch, and another reason why a steady diet of Lynch would have been nice, catching DBs with backs turned, maybe forcing them to play more zone down the road.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I just want to ease away from the read option a little. It's a fantastic tool but I think we are becoming a little too dependent on it. Dallas had the Harvin screens and runs completely shut down all day. It's funny, I wanted more of this wrinkle last year when it seemed like all we did was run run, PA deep. But I hate how we've gotten so far away from it in the first few weeks.

I'd like us to try and get a little of our deep ball mojo back. We had so many close completions going deep today when the short game just wasn't there. The other thing I'd like to see a little more is TEs. Willson could be a great receiver for us but it just seems like we have to wait till the game is un-winnable to start using him (or Miller).

The option to Walters, the Harvin runs (which consistently put us in 3rd and long) and the stupid 5 yard slant on 3rd and 11 to Lockette in particular were aggravating.

Laloosh

Reaction score
hawk45":2026wq37 said:
6) Percy is on the sidelines on many 3rd and long plays, probably because they don't have anything in the playbook for him that is north-south.

That's what was killing me... Even after Dallas demonstrates that they are onto that crap, we can't get away from it. It's as if we scrapped any play that didn't fall under the "saw this in a college game" category when it comes to passing.

I thought Dallas played the read option really well at times too. At one point the OLB made it look like he was going to crash down then he went straight after Russ, like he set him up.

It's not like we were ever in a hole. Why did we get away from the run so much? Pound the damn rock...

That said, Dallas was on point. They took it to us today and I don't like it but I respect it.

sam1313

Reaction score
I agree with what everyone else has said. The lack of running plays was ridiculous. The Cowboys were coming with their ears pinned back the entire game waiting for us to pass, and we just kept passing. I think I saw one time we ran the ball with Lynch behind Coleman. WTF? Wasn't Dallas like the #22 rush defense? Yet we only gave the ball to Lynch on 1st and 2nd downs consecutively once (and he broke a 30+yarder). I couldn't believe we wouldn't do it again.

Our OL needed the help of running plays, they also could have used some help from some max protect packages or chipping by the tight ends when we did pass. Having two backs would have also made the play action work better. I'm not sure I saw any max protect packages or tight ends chipping the defensive ends all game.

I guarantee Lynch is really, really pissed off about this game....

HawkinNY

Reaction score
The fact that we have only 1 wr playing that was not un drafted is starting to show when the games are close. So he can call any play he wants but when the wr is no where close to being open it doesn't work. I think they need to change everything they are doing. Even on def. teams are game planning for us and making it look easy.

dukestar

Reaction score
If this game and the SD game are what it is going to look like post Lynch God help us. We need to get back to our roots and I hate to say it, run, run, run some more and if we have to pass deep. The offense when centered around Harvin is awful. Not sure if it is because of Harvin or our atrocious oline. The fact that we had a chance in this game is a complete mirage. We had no right being in it.

Nevertheless, I still have faith that we'll correct it and take the NFC West.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
If we can't design 5-15 yd 3-step drop passes for Percy Harvin, ADB, and Kearse, then we have a problem. If we can't get our speed downfield on a bootleg, then we have a problem. If we continue to run sweeps, then we have a huge problem.

Specifically, Percy Harvin needs to be in space, not behind the line of scrimmage. Get him on a 10-15yd crosser behind the backers and let him turn on the burners. Seriously, go back and look at film from Minnesota. I promise that, contrary to popular belief, HE RECEIVED THE BALL DOWNFIELD. Furthermore,fricking Christian Ponder was able to deliver it to him there. We have a huge problem if we can't boot Russell out and find 2-3 WRs in space 10-25 yds downfield with the speed we have at that position.

sam1313

Reaction score
Twisted Husky wrote this in another topic, but I think it fits well:

TwistedHusky wrote:
Okay then how stupid is the OC?

We have an NFL that pretty much broadcast that it was going to do everything it could to give the benefit of the doubt to the offense. Physical play by the defense was going to be curtailed and more penalties would be called on defenders making contact.

Sure enough, all over the league you see WRs baiting DBs into the contact and getting yards/penalties. We respond by peeling off our physical play on defense.

But even more interesting, in a time when everyone else is getting penalties by running the WRs out there, chucking the ball in the direction of the WR and watching the DB bump into the WR and the flag fall out.... we decide we are going to run all our pass plays behind the LOS or for less than 10 yards.

Assuring we have no means of taking advantage of this rule change but making it harder to run as well (because our passing game has vanished)

So I ask again how stupid does that make our OC then?

dukestar

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":1u8a3b6t said:
If we can't design 5-15 yd 3-step drop passes for Percy Harvin, ADB, and Kearse, then we have a problem. If we can't get our speed downfield on a bootleg, then we have a problem. If we continue to run sweeps, then we have a huge problem.

Specifically, Percy Harvin needs to be in space, not behind the line of scrimmage. Get him on a 10-15yd crosser behind the backers and let him turn on the burners. Seriously, go back and look at film from Minnesota. I promise that, contrary to popular belief, HE RECEIVED THE BALL DOWNFIELD. Furthermore,fricking Christian Ponder was able to deliver it to him there. We have a huge problem if we can't boot Russell out and find 2-3 WRs in space 10-25 yds downfield with the speed we have at that position.
Yes...please...LoneHawkFan for OC...

Smellyman

Reaction score
austinslater25":15tjy2g3 said:
I'm usually quick to defend Bevell but its tough to do after today.

me too. it was exceptionally bad today.

THE play that should never be run again is Harvin the only back lined up with Wilson. At least have ML in there too. At least that is scary to a D having to defen all three.

Note: I hate blaming play calling becuase when they don't work it is a bad call. When it works good call. It is too easy to say that and every fanbase does. I don't think this OL could've executed anything today.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
The comment about peeling WRs would make sense if there was any chance our team would get calls for DPI.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Teams are on to Bevell's crap. He better figure it out or it's gonna get ugly, of course, it doesn't help when Okung is playing starting matador.