Malcom Smith did not get a snap on D against Washington

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Looking at the PFF grades, I noticed that Malcom Smith isn't even listed as taking a snap with the defense.

http://imgur.com/a/WXYb1

I also heard it mentioned somewhere else that he didn't play. After the way he played in the second half last season I thought Malcom Smith would be an integral part of the D this year. I figured he would at the very least split time with Irvin at SAM. Supposedly he is healthy now, right? He's in a contract year so maybe they are manufacturing a lower profile in hopes of keeping him. That seems pretty crazy though, I'm sure he'd be playing if they thought he was the best person to have out there.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Pete addressed it in his presser. They wanted to test Irvin and he played a great game.

McGruff

Reaction score
Pete said something to the effect of "we wanted to try Bruce, and he was doing good, so we stayed with it."

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Yah if Bruce keeps playing like he did Monday, Smith is going to continue to not get snaps.

But if we get ahead of Dallas and Romo has to throw, then Malcolm is a quicker pass defender than Bruce, so he'll get his snaps.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Malcolm Smith to me is a lot like Jordan Babineaux was for the mid 2000's team - a guy who always came up with big plays when he was in there, but not consistent enough to be an every down guy. Great to get in to mix things up and add a new wrinkle/jersey number to think about for the offense.

I'm so torn on Bruce. On one hand I think people here under-rate him and are quick to label him a bust without realizing that he's actually been one of the better outside linebackers in the league.

But his penalty in SD - infuriating. Still on my S-list cuz of that one.

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
Even though he had the stupid penalty in the SD game, I noticed at the time that he's inexplicably and suddenly become much more physical at the LB spot than he ever has been. Outside of the penalty, it was one of his better games. Seemed to carry through into the Washington game, as well. Used to be the only opposing player he'd ever hit was the QB, but this year he seems to be laying some wood on ball carriers, as well. There were a few times in the SD and Washington games where he was the first one there to make the hit, whereas in the past he's usually been a trailing afterthought to the pile.

A ray of hope, imo.

gabel

Reaction score
Even though he had the stupid penalty in the SD game, I noticed at the time that he's inexplicably and suddenly become much more physical at the LB spot than he ever has been. Outside of the penalty, it was one of his better games. Seemed to carry through into the Washington game, as well. Used to be the only opposing player he'd ever hit was the QB, but this year he seems to be laying some wood on ball carriers, as well. There were a few times in the SD and Washington games where he was the first one there to make the hit, whereas in the past he's usually been a trailing afterthought to the pile.

A ray of hope, imo.

I beg to disagree. I did not like his play in the San Diego game especially in coverage where in my opinion he was terrible.

Pete would never embarrass his player but make no mistake this is a benching. Lessons will be learned and he will be back.

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
gabel":2ggvd0zv said:

A ray of hope, imo.

I beg to disagree. I did not like his play in the San Diego game especially in coverage where in my opinion he was terrible.

Pete would never embarrass his player but make no mistake this is a benching. Lessons will be learned and he will be back.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about Irvin's improvement in seeking out contact and not Smith's benching. One probably has to do with the other.

Cartire

Reaction score
What a great problem to have at the LB position. That another way to look at it.

gabel

Reaction score
imnKOgnito":1utltr6z said:
gabel":1utltr6z said:

A ray of hope, imo.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about Irvin's improvement in seeking out contact and not Smith's benching. One probably has to do with the other.
My mistake and I agree. :th2thumbs:

byau

Reaction score
Rewatching the last half of the fourth quarter vs Redskins (thank you NFL Game Rewind) and only watched Irvin. He did do really well and was often first to get to the QB. Cousins had some rushed passes because of Irvin.

Shock2k

Reaction score
How awesome is it (not for Smith obviously) that we have such a deep bench they we are sitting a SB MVP. Not to mention Brock Coyle just hanging around.

John Clayton on Danny, Dave and Moore yesterday was saying of the 129 LB's (starting in either a 3-4 or 4-3) 41 have been injured this year (missed at least 1 game).

The depth is going to big for us in keeping our mid-field fresh throughout the season.

Seahawks4life

Reaction score
Shock2k":1fricfkg said:
The depth is going to big for us in keeping our mid-field fresh throughout the season.

So true, this is when smith will be huge! Awesome problem to have this season.

Largent80

Reaction score
It's early still for us. We have 12 straight games coming up, both Smith AND Irvin will play.

Hey....12 Games..... :lol: