Underperforming pass defense+ over performing Cowgirls

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
I'm confident we will shut down Demarco but a little concerned about our : lack of pass rush, pass defense today versus last year, soft zone coverage. This feels like Chargers all over - good QB, better than average TE, speedy, young wide receiver. I think it will be close unless...we can contain Romo long enough to where he gets impatient...and transforms into turnover Tony..hopefully in the 4th quarter.

So, that means limiting or eliminating any passing explosive plays and playing more man coverage...

Laloosh

Reaction score
I am worried about the pass rush in this one as well. Unger and Bailey injuries worry the hell out of me.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Doesn't feel like the Chargers at all. Witten is good, but he's no Gates. Romo is no Rivers. Dez is far better than Keenan Allen, but he's a big fast 'muscler'.

And most importantly, it's at home.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I couldn't be more less concerned about this game than if you told me it was against the Jaguars. Sorry, that was uncalled for towards the Jaguars.

But still.

Bad Romo shows up this Sunday as he is want to do.

(Big yawn and a fart).

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I wish I had your guys confidence. I think the hawks will have their hands full. For once in a long while Dallas has a O-line that ranks near top of the league and a balanced offense which is a winning formula against any team.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Though the stats don't agree, our pass rush is just fine. We are wreaking absolute havoc. We have amassed a load of QB hits and hurries.

City

Reaction score
MeanBlueGreen":t5suln8b said:
I'm confident we will shut down Demarco but a little concerned about our : lack of pass rush, pass defense today versus last year, soft zone coverage. This feels like Chargers all over - good QB, better than average TE, speedy, young wide receiver. I think it will be close unless...we can contain Romo long enough to where he gets impatient...and transforms into turnover Tony..hopefully in the 4th quarter.

So, that means limiting or eliminating any passing explosive plays and playing more man coverage...

Redwood City, CA, Checking In :49ersmall: :thirishdrinkers:

RiverDog

Reaction score
I don't think Murray will be much of a factor. Our run defense has improved over last season. Kevin Williams more than makes up for the loss of Red Bryant, and Wagner and Wright are playing the best run D since they've been here. Hell, even Bruce Irvin stuffed a run or two last Monday.

One thing that's hurt us in the first part of the season is the lack of turnovers. We haven't gotten many. We've had some opportunities where our guys dropped some picks or that the ball didn't bounce just right.

Not that I'm making excuses, but the QB's we've faced this season have done a fantastic job of throwing the ball with a very high degree of accuracy. Rivers, Manning, and even Cousins haven't thrown very many bad balls. That kind of luck is bound to run out, especially when going up against the 12th man.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Because it's a home game I'm almost ready to just wave my hand carelessly to dismiss these Cowboy fools and send them to the gallows.

But this is surprisingly an interesting match up for me, I expect an entertaining game.

The Cowboys are 2nd in Rushing yards compared to the Seahawks who are 1st.

So it's the 2nd best Rushing Team (behind Seahawks) against the best Rush Defense (we are ranked #1 Opposing Rush Yards).

That alone makes it an intriguing game for me. It seems like a team would have a lot better chance to succeed running the ball than trying to orchestrate some complicated throws at C-Link.

So this will be perhaps our best test to see how good our Run Defense truly is.

And if you ignore the Cowboys opener against San Fransisco Tony Romo is doing fairly well.

Excluding Week 1 Tony Romo has:

- 8 Touchdowns / 2 Interceptions
- 71.3% Completion Rate
- Over 100 Passer Rating (his passer ratings in the last 4 games were 93.5, 116.8, 137.4, 98.0)
- 249.3 Passing Yards Per Game

So I guess I could say that if this wasn't a home game I would be a bit concerned. Because it is a home game I think this could be the hardcore slap in the face for the Cowboys, back to reality if you will :p

I expect the Cowboys to start losing more games after this one, but they might put up a decent fight if we can't clean up our penalties and if our Zone Defense continues to get exposed.

This should be a fun one IMO :0190l:

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3miev2kf said:
Doesn't feel like the Chargers at all. Witten is good, but he's no Gates. Romo is no Rivers

Witten and Gates have both been in the league since 2003, and Witten has more career Receptions, Yards, and has missed less games due to injuries (Witten has missed one game due to a broken jaw). Gates has more TDs, I assume that's because he's a more athletic TE than Witten. Witten is a better blocker and the best TE in the NFL right now imo.

Romo and Rivers isn't really a fair comparison because Rivers has been in the league longer, but they both have similar TD to INT rations, Completions % and YPG. Despite being in the league for 3 less years, Romo is only 3,000 yards behind Rivers.

We're kind of the Chargers with less defense.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The more I think about the upcoming game with the Cowboys...the more confident I am that the Seahawks will come away with "W". Dallas lost to the most comparable team to the Seahawks, which is the 49ers. Dallas lost to them in their own house. The next 4 games were against teams quite inferior to the Seahawks - Titans, Rams, Saints, and Houston. Plus one of their W's was an amazing comeback against the Rams when they were behind 21-0 at one point in the game.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/dal/dallas-cowboys

With that said, this is a short week and Dallas has improved their run game with a top OL so far this year. It will be an interesting matchup. The Seahawks have not scored less than 26 at home so I expect them to score around that this game too. Whether Dallas can put more than 20 on the Seahawks is the question. I don't think they can.

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
Dallas Rush Defense is 20th (overall defense is 21st) - that is a huge difference. Lynch is going to have a field day - Houston just got done putting up 176 rushing yards on them as the #11 rushing offense in the league,.

Also - the teams rushing defense rank they have played so far (understand Dallas contributed to these numbers but its one game out of 4 or 5 so it doesn't throw the numbers off that much).

49'ers - 6 (their one loss - and really only playoff caliber team they have played so far)
Titans - 30
Rams - 21
Saints - 14
Texans - 29

Not a top 10 defense except for the 9'ers (lost - at home).

I think Dallas is a 9, maybe 10 win team and is being propped up by a weak schedule (playing NFC East twice + AFC South).

Playing the Hawks in the Clink is not going to be fun for them and I think Murray goes for less than 100 against our rush defense.

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
Taking that one step further so far in 2014

Dallas (4-1) Opponents Record = 10-14 (42% win)
Seattle (3-1) Opponents Record = 11-8 (58% win)

Dallas comes crashing down to earth on Sunday. I am glad their record is as good as it is now though - this game is getting way more attention than we would have thought at the beginning of the year.

Now the nation gets to see "America's Team" get brought back down to earth ...

kearly

Reaction score
Murray is more than a super talented RB, he's also the kind of athletic tackle breaker that gives our run defense fits. I hope the reports are true that Dallas plans to scale back Murray's carries in this game. On the flipside, Murray does fumble a lot, and Seattle's amazingly bad luck with fumbles bouncing back to opponents won't continue forever.

I think Dallas will probably run the ball better than most are expecting. But if they don't, they are toast. No way could a guy like Romo play with the walls closing in around him for 60 minutes and not throw at least one pick.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
DoctorChicken":jxzq1zkq said:
Sarlacc83":jxzq1zkq said:
Doesn't feel like the Chargers at all. Witten is good, but he's no Gates. Romo is no Rivers

Witten and Gates have both been in the league since 2003, and Witten has more career Receptions, Yards, and has missed less games due to injuries (Witten has missed one game due to a broken jaw). Gates has more TDs, I assume that's because he's a more athletic TE than Witten. Witten is a better blocker and the best TE in the NFL right now imo.

Romo and Rivers isn't really a fair comparison because Rivers has been in the league longer, but they both have similar TD to INT rations, Completions % and YPG. Despite being in the league for 3 less years, Romo is only 3,000 yards behind Rivers.

We're kind of the Chargers with less defense.

Witten is solidly reliable. He's not a gamebreaker who's likely to go off for 3 TDs - which was my point unclearly expressed.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":2fsq4rjm said:
Though the stats don't agree, our pass rush is just fine. We are wreaking absolute havoc. We have amassed a load of QB hits and hurries.
This.

This is why people need to understand football better, and what they are seeing. Our pass rush is actually doing VERY well. Check out these stats - they are total number stats, meaning they HURT our guys relative to most others because we've had our bye and played one fewer game than most other teams as of now.

Top DEs in the NFL (4-3 and 3-4) based on total number of pressures, defined as combined number of sacks, hits, and hurries on the QB:

#1: J.J. Watt, 35 (189 total pass rush snaps played)
#2: Michael Bennett, 22 (134 total pass rush snaps played)
#3: Three-way tie between Sheldon Richardson (19 pressures, 158 pass rush snaps), Jerry Hughes (19 pressures, 137 pass rush snaps), and Cliff Avril (19 pressures, 116 pass rush snaps)

Look at that. Our two DEs are in the top five total guys IN THE LEAGUE for total pressures, despite having considerably fewer pass rush snaps played than all the others, except for Jerry Hughes who hasn't had a bye but apparently isn't on the field for as many overall snaps as others. J.J. Watt is a bit of an outlier as well because he usually faces more competition he has to get by for a pressure, the dude is just a manimal from another plane of existence and comparing others against him isn't even really fair, but we are getting a ton of hurries.

We are putting on a ton of pressure. It's just not resulting in sacks at the present time, and a lot of that can probably be explained by the number of elite QBs we've faced who know when to get rid of the ball.

OP
OP
MeanBlueGreen

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":ocucdvs9 said:
SmokinHawk":ocucdvs9 said:
This.

This is why people need to understand football better, and what they are seeing. Our pass rush is actually doing VERY well. Check out these stats - they are total number stats, meaning they HURT our guys relative to most others because we've had our bye and played one fewer game than most other teams as of now.

Top DEs in the NFL (4-3 and 3-4) based on total number of pressures, defined as combined number of sacks, hits, and hurries on the QB:

#3: Three-way tie between Sheldon Richardson (19 pressures, 158 pass rush snaps), Jerry Hughes (19 pressures, 137 pass rush snaps), and Cliff Avril (19 pressures, 116 pass rush snaps)

Look at that. Our two DEs are in the top five total guys IN THE LEAGUE for total pressures, despite having considerably fewer pass rush snaps played than all the others, except for Jerry Hughes who hasn't had a bye but apparently isn't on the field for as many overall snaps as others. J.J. Watt is a bit of an outlier as well because he usually faces more competition he has to get by for a pressure, the dude is just a manimal from another plane of existence and comparing others against him isn't even really fair, but we are getting a ton of hurries.

We are putting on a ton of pressure. It's just not resulting in sacks at the present time, and a lot of that can probably be explained by the number of elite QBs we've faced who know when to get rid of the ball.

You are ignoring a couple of key facts versus where we were last year with pass rush : all QBs we have faced so far have very high QBR versus last year at this time and the number of explosive plays is way, way up. And the Dallas O-line is *stout*...I think to win we have to keep it close, which means stifling their running game and forcing Romo to throw more. If he has one of his magical, can't miss a throw games, it's going to be tight IMO.

lsheldon

Reaction score
MeanBlueGreen":2zn047kf said:
RolandDeschain":2zn047kf said:
SmokinHawk":2zn047kf said:
This.

You are ignoring a couple of key facts versus where we were last year with pass rush : all QBs we have faced so far have very high QBR versus last year at this time and the number of explosive plays is way, way up. And the Dallas O-line is *stout*...I think to win we have to keep it close, which means stifling their running game and forcing Romo to throw more. If he has one of his magical, can't miss a throw games, it's going to be tight IMO.

I see the problem. You're using QBR.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The only standard the 2014 Seahawks pass defense is underperforming by is the 2013 Seahawks pass defense. I'd say I can handle that.

Latest posts