Did the refs purposefully keep the game close? Your opinion.

Did the refs purposefully keep the game close?

• Yes

Votes: 113 67.7%
  • No

Votes: 54 32.3%

• Total voters

Sprfunk

Reaction score
I think so. I don't think we should blow out a team every week, and didn't think we would this week. I think this team would have destroyed the racists given any form of fair treatment from the refs.

minormillikin

Reaction score
I don't think it was a league decision to "keep the game close." I do believe there are some dirty refs, for sure.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It wasn't a league-wide conspiracy, of course. Was it a general feeling to keep the game watchable to the country by tightening up the calls to the Champions instead of the lowly Redskins? Obviously.

kearly

Reaction score
It did kind of feel that way. Enough to joke about it.

But given Triplette's long history of incredible officiating incompetence, I think it's just more likely that Seattle suffered at the hands of a terrible officiating crew.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
That "head bob" call on Unger was disgusting and the best evidence we have that there was an effort, on some level, to attempt to keep the game as close as possible.

Clearly the NFL will never admit it but those of us who have watched the game for decades knows better.

kigenzun

Reaction score
91,000 people in the stands. The entire nation watching on TV. The RacialSlurs already 1 and 3… and fixing to go down 21-0 early…

This would have been another 35 point laugh-er if not for the blatantly obvious, bad officiating. The last one against Carpenter, (on Harvin’s 3rd TD) was ridiculous. Since when is a pancake block a personal foul penalty? A “head-bob” on a Center making line calls first, and sure of the target on a shotgun snap second=2 phantom false starts?? Three TD’s called back??? C’Mon Ref!

Its a W, sure… but what we all collectively learned is the exact difference between the best team in the league and the worst team in the league… a dozen or so extra yellow hankies.
:177692:

minormillikin

Reaction score
You know what?

I am actually starting to feel sort of stupid to be so annoyed after a win.

I'm going to take the foil hat off for the night... right or wrong...

Smellyman

Reaction score
wonder if the NFL audits refs bank accounts?

halfway joking

minormillikin

Reaction score
Smellyman":38hqxtlp said:
wonder if the NFL audits refs bank accounts?

halfway joking

The thing is, it doesn't work like that. The refs aren't getting rich... not right now anyway.

They do it the same way politicians help companies get giant contracts: After retirement, they get a job working for a company owned by the bookie's cousin's cousin. The catch is, they get a 10 million dollar signing bonus, a giant yearly salary, and they never have to clock in once. They get paid later for what they earn now. And it's all legit (paid consultants). And.. it's all very smart from a bookie's perspective.

Read, "This Town," by Mark Leibovich . (About Washington DC... but not about the Redskins)

Dammit... the foil hat landed on my head again!

NorCalHawk12

Reaction score
Playing for the mob!!!!

Edit: And what about Percy in motion called a false start????
He was moving for 25 seconds!!!!!
Just 'cause the motion didn't go 10-12 yards doesn't mean it's not a motion formation.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
kearly":396e18e5 said:

But given Triplette's long history of incredible officiating incompetence, I think it's just more likely that Seattle suffered at the hands of a terrible officiating crew.
Agreed. Conspiracy might be the fun explanation, but incompetence is the true reason, especially with that particular crew.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Aros":1zkq3qvm said:
That "head bob" call on Unger was disgusting and the best evidence we have that there was an effort, on some level, to attempt to keep the game as close as possible.

Clearly the NFL will never admit it but those of us who have watched the game for decades knows better.
This. Well said man.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
pmedic920":1vhjewyt said:
I'm not sure if they did, or not.
But it sure seemed that way.
I felt like I was watching a WWF rastlin' match last night. Tripplet and company have jobs lined up in the ring if they ever get 86'ed in the NFL.

Cartire

Reaction score
“The reason it was so up and down, sometimes the refs kind of get into it and it kind of makes the game feel weird,” Thomas said. “I think it’s ‘Monday Night Football,’ you know? The fans are watching, and everybody wants to see a good game, so they’re going to try to make it as close as possible. It’s a business.”

-Earl Thomas

Looks like it's not just the Homer fans that noticed it.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
kearly":39hjll4x said:

Yep. With Mike Carey no longer on the field, Jeff Triplette has zero competition for worst referee in the league, and if he's been carrying the same crew with him for years they're awful as well.

No I don't think there was any deliberate fix in.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Three calls were flat out wrong, Unger head bob, motion on Harvin and Carpenter's personal foul.

But they could have called a hold on Okung on Russell's brilliant scramble/pass to Lynch and a late hit on Britt and they likely could have taken away the over-the-line of scrimmage scramble pass as well.

I'd chalk it up to a crappy crew wanting to assert themselves in the game, rather than a global conspiracy.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
The only time I've ever questioned if there was some sort of deliberate fix in was that 2003 game at Baltimore. Especially since the NFL quietly did away with at least that referee after the season ended.

The rest of the time I'm very likely to just see it as incompetence.