Bam Bam and Sean Taylor

Reaction score
Hey friends. Stumbled across this story on the .com site and felt it would be good to share. I've been a Seahawks fan since I was a kid. Of course, growing up, I lived just outside Philadelphia, and no one really seemed to understand my allegiance to a team from a state that I'd never visited. But that's all besides the point. I was a big Shawn Springs fan too--so when he left the team and joined the Redskins, I continued to follow him.

It was 2004, and I was really just coming into my own as a football fan. It's the first NFL draft I remember sitting down and watching the whole way through. All drafts have paled in comparison. Between the first round excitement of QBs (Manning, Rivers, and Roethlisberger) and a battle between two Miami standouts--stop. Who is this Sean Taylor? Yeah, the QBs are impressive. Yeah, so is this Kellen Winslow soldier.

But gaht-dang, this Sean Taylor kid is a Fuh-reak. I've never been more blown away by a highlight reel. Man-crush commence.

I knew the Seahawks wouldn't have a shot at him in the draft, so my only hope was for this insane talent to join Seahawks blood--Shawn Springs. Thanks for skipping over Winslow, Washington. And man, as I watched him tear through teams, despite having a shaky start off the field and having to climb back to a starting role with his unmatched prowess on the field--my man-crush grew. He could hit, he could cover, he could play the ball, he was fast, and he was HUGE. He was off to a great career.

Flash forward.

I will always miss the talent that was Sean Taylor. I've never been so enamored with a celebrity figure--let alone a sports star. I can't help but compare safeties to my Idol of DBs. I'll be damned if the Hawks haven't mussed with my feelings a little bit more. 'Cause dang, this LOB really stacks up. Kam and Earl in the backfield share the talent of a Sean Taylor to me, and play together as one safety with shoulders 160 feet wide. It's been so fun to watch. And it's even more impressive when I read an article like this.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articl...ery-week/e14d014a-383f-4f91-b3c3-23f8c8cf6d91

Sac

Reaction score
It's too bad he was drafted by the 'Skins. He'd likely still be alive today if he lived somewhere else.

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":233g8wlz said:
It's too bad he was drafted by the 'Skins. He'd likely still be alive today if he lived somewhere else.
You know he was murdered at his home in Miami, right? ? He had actually been planning on moving as well.

Sac

Reaction score
Chrome_Seahawk":2g3in0r5 said:
SacHawk2.0":2g3in0r5 said:
You know he was murdered at his home in Miami, right? ? He had actually been planning on moving as well.

Oh...

I could have sworn he was murdered at his DC apartment.

devilhawk88

Reaction score
I used to hate Sean Taylor. I thought he was a dirty head hunter and a cheap shot artist. He still may have been but my views on him have definently softened. I saw a program about him that spoke on his work ethic and his love of family. I watched some old highlights and it changed my impression of him dramatically. He is the exact person I would like Kam to pattern his game after and then progress from there.

Throwdown

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1umwmj4r said:
Chrome_Seahawk":1umwmj4r said:
SacHawk2.0":1umwmj4r said:

Oh...

I could have sworn he was murdered at his DC apartment.

Nope he was down in Miami after his house had got broken into a few days earlier.

I'd recommend the A Football Life about Taylor.

Really good story with a tragic ending, also shows how quickly the media pushes the "thug" label. The dude had the work ethic of Russell Wilson, the talent of Earl, and the hits of Kam

burggold75

Reaction score
Good to see some ST respect in here.

Without causing a war, the Seahawk fans were some of the cruelist in the league following the death of Sean leading into the 2007 playoff game between the Skins/Seahawks. Not worth dragging back up anymore!

Glad to see the tide is turning. That was a while ago - I'm just glad to see he can be looked upon as one of the best. Something that we Skin fans knew from his very first preseason game.

Throwdown

Reaction score
burggold75":2wf9o5p5 said:
Good to see some ST respect in here.

Without causing a war, the Seahawk fans were some of the cruelist in the league following the death of Sean leading into the 2007 playoff game between the Skins/Seahawks. Not worth dragging back up anymore!

Glad to see the tide is turning. That was a while ago - I'm just glad to see he can be looked upon as one of the best. Something that we Skin fans knew from his very first preseason game.

That stuff was so stupid back then, anyone who did that should still be ashamed. People my age (I'm 26 now) thought of Sean Taylor fondly, wish we had him back there for us in those days.

I dunno I liked Taylor, was sad at his passing and thought anyone talking trash or calling him a thug after the fact of his death was cowardly and judging before anyone knew anything.

Does Washington have #21 retired yet?

burggold75

Reaction score
Throwdown":2gs01iwr said:
Does Washington have #21 retired yet?

Not officially - For sure one day. Once Clinton Portis thought about it the first game following his death but didn't and Ryan Clark wore in practice this year when he was resigned with the Skins.

Sean Taylor - 21 is also shown on ring of fame around FedEx.