Players Tribune- new site for athlete/fan collaboration (RW)

jblaze

Reaction score
The site is www.theplayerstribune.com

It was started just recently by Derek Jeter as a way for ahtletes and fans to collaborate and communicate. Somewhat similar to what Richard Sherman has done in the past a little with his articles in Sports Illustrated, etc.

Also none other than our own Russell Wilson is a senior editor of the site. Here is RW's first article published and it's on the subject of domestic violence.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/lets-talk-about-it/

RW actually talks about growing up as a bully and his transformation to a "nice guy" due to his faith. Pretty good read to learn something new about our golden boy.

Cartire

Reaction score
Interesting. Did not know that about him. Cool site, hope it keeps its content flowing.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Bottom line; Nobody is perfect.
That was a great read. Russ is human too( just barely ;) ) and he admits that fact. What an amazing young man we have for a QB.

TwilightError

Reaction score
What I really Like about This is that he kind of "takes responsibility" on having been the bad guy and does not present himself as a victim. I truly hate it when someone goes; "I had a difficult childhood, I used to be a bully". This article takes a different approach. He also seems to acknowledge that child bullies often become adult abusers, so that is where solving the problem has to start.

Disappointing a little cause bullies are scum of the earth, but still well done showing that you can become a better person.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Seems like the perfect opportunity for Percy Harvin to finally admit he bullied a few of the posters here growing up.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I was a little surprised that he was that violent. Knocking teeth out is pretty bad. What I really like though is that he didn't hide this, he didn't come at it from a "victim" position, but a "protagonist" position. That is rare, people don't want to air their dirty laundry, especially if they are viewed as "goody two shoes."

It makes me respect him all the more for putting his flaws out there for the world to see. We are a product of our experiences, and now Russell understands the bully side of things so can probably deal with them better than most.

Amazing, and a brave thing to do. I just hope that his sponsors don't knee-jerk and drop him or prospective sponsors change their mind after this article. If anything, his honesty only makes him a better representative.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
So proof positive that he is an actual for real human being. Just goes to show you that at least sometimes people can change or at least grow up and get perspective. That was a pretty brave thing for him to admit given his public image and how hard he works to keep it that way.

kidhawk

Reaction score
When you Pass the Peace to a friend, I ask that you make a $2 donation or more to The National Domestic Violence Hotline. It couldn’t be easier. Simply text WNYPassThePeace to 41444 to make your contribution. For more information, please visit www.whynotyoufoundation.com.

Wilson never ceases to amaze me

themunn

Reaction score
Imagine the outrage if Sherman had written this (when in reality if he had ever bullied anyone he'd probably have been shot in his neighbourhood).

McGruff

Reaction score
Really? You think sponsors would pull deals because a pre-teen RW pushed someone off the swing set?

I wish our schools were as disgusted with bullies as this board is, but the reality is that bullying is incredibly common and overlooked by most school administrators, especially at the high school level, because most bullies are also star athletes. Bullies get star treatment, while their victoms get the prejorative labels.

I don't think RW was bad or evil. He was one of many. Following the crowd. The good thing is he learned to stand on his own. But c'mon, based on some reactions you'd think RW confessed to murder.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":2009o02m said:
Really? You think sponsors would pull deals because a pre-teen RW pushed someone off the swing set?

I wish our schools were as disgusted with bullies as this board is, but the reality is that bullying is incredibly common and overlooked by most school administrators, especially at the high school level, because most bullies are also star athletes. Bullies get star treatment, while their victoms get the prejorative labels.

I don't think RW was bad or evil. He was one of many. Following the crowd. The good thing is he learned to stand on his own. But c'mon, based on some reactions you'd think RW confessed to murder.

With the ridiculous social media landscape, I don't think it's too far fetched to think that a sponsor might overreact.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Good for Russ, good for us.
IMHO just another reason for the 12th man to embrace him.
c3c128ca8dffb54f955b2b38500b27f7.jpg

TwilightError

Reaction score
With his stature, where did he find kids to bully? smurf village?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
TwilightError":3eo1bk67 said:
With his stature, where did he find kids to bully? smurf village?
I bet he was actually a hell of a scrappy fighter. Imagine Joe Pesci with muscle; would you want to fight that?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
And on the same day, it was announced that Lynch was cleared of any wrongdoing in that alleged assault/property damage thing back around training camp and that charges could be pressed against his accuser for filing a false report.

http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/b ... /16615989/

So who's going to be the first jackhole who went off on Lynch to call Wilson a thug?

Veilside

Reaction score
Reading things like Wilson's article does a small bit of restoring a shred of faith I have in humanity....

then reading the comments on the espn article about it promptly destroys it again.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Veilside":2qwrnyyz said:
Reading things like Wilson's article does a small bit of restoring a shred of faith I have in humanity....

then reading the comments on the espn article about it promptly destroys it again.

Haters gunna hate......