Pete Carroll: We played better than we did in the Super Bowl

sc85sis

Reaction score
Don't have time to read that right now or listen to the audio of Pete's appearance on 710 this morning because I'm at work. I'm guessing on the surface some people will think Pete is nuts because of the disparity in game scores. I don't think that's what really matters though. The Super Bowl was almost too easy. Yesterday the Hawks faced a much tougher and healthier Denver team and still came away with the win.

Exittium

Reaction score
I agree with pete in the 1st half it was looking like the SB all over. 2nd half they let up on the pedal and it almost cost them. In the SB the never let up. While Denver Defense has improved, I don't think its by much. As well they'll be in cap hell here shortly as a result of building thier team to copy and beat us.. Which watching the 1st half we executed everything. 2nd half we let up and they took advantage of it. Hopefully there wont be any let up again.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
We didn't have a pick-6 and a kickoff TD to lopside the score this time around. But if you honestly look at it, SEA didn't really give them anything until the final drive. DEN capitalized on a safety and a INT to get it close. On the final drive, they ran the same play three (four?) times, and SEA just couldn't adjust in time (might've been Burley and Josh Thomas in on those plays).

Take out the closeness of the score, and I think you'll see that SEA kept Manning in check pretty dang well (as good as any team has over the past two seasons).

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
It's true. That Superbowl was almost 'given' to us. Not taking ANYTHING from our boys, they took advantage of every opportunity which is what GREAT Teams do. But yesterday's game was more of a "test of their mettle" if you will. And they passed the test.
ANY time you win a game against the regular season god, Peyton Manning, it's a statement. To allow Peyton to "Peytonize" you and send the game to OT, after dominating most of the game, a lesser TEAM would mentally break. Thank God for the Icey Cold fluid that radiates thru the veins of our field general, DangeRuss. He truly is a mental giant. I would pay top dollar to shadow him for a week.

mikeak

Reaction score
Second half felt like the second half against the saints in the playoff.

We were dominant and then got away from it.

After the INT when we were in FG range. Three straight up the middle with Lynch???? Not one fake jet sweep / RW roll-out??? I am not saying pass the ball. I understand running out clock but we clearly thought the defense would never give up a TD in one minute

NorCalSeahawkFan

Reaction score
Exittium":yq3lkje8 said:
I agree with pete in the 1st half it was looking like the SB all over. 2nd half they let up on the pedal and it almost cost them. In the SB the never let up. While Denver Defense has improved, I don't think its by much. As well they'll be in cap hell here shortly as a result of building thier team to copy and beat us.. Which watching the 1st half we executed everything. 2nd half we let up and they took advantage of it. Hopefully there wont be any let up again.

This is what I saw.

Why did the offence let up in the second half? Were we being nice to the Broncos? Why? This is not high school, its the NFL. Why not turn the offence loose and then let up when we are ahead by 30 or 40 points.
We got to OT and put the pedal to the metal and went down and scored. Last year I saw a team that did not let up until there was no way that when we go a lead the other team was going to match what we were doing. There was a fire in the players eyes. These guys are taught to go all out and win, so let them! It almost cost us the game aginst the Broncos. Football is not for the nice, meek and mild. If we play trying to be nice we will lose.

Pound them to submission. Then let the defence pin there ears back and pound them some more.
Attude has alot to do with it. Play like you mean it, the whole damn game!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete can say what he wants, but I don't think we'll ever play as well as we did in the SB. That was near flawless in every facet of the game. Defense, offense and special teams, complete and utter domination.

Now maybe he was referring to the fact that Denver is a better team than 8 months ago, and therefore it took a better effort from us to beat them. But I still don't agree that beating the Broncos at home in overtime with some glaring mistakes like the safety, pick by Russell and non existent offense for the entire 2nd half was better than the SB.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1tgfm0ix said:
Pete can say what he wants, but I don't think we'll ever play as well as we did in the SB. That was near flawless in every facet of the game. Defense, offense and special teams, complete and utter domination.

Now maybe he was referring to the fact that Denver is a better team than 8 months ago, and therefore it took a better effort from us to beat them. But I still don't agree that beating the Broncos at home in overtime with some glaring mistakes like the safety, pick by Russell and non existent offense for the entire 2nd half was better than the SB.

Based on yards, with the exception of 80 yards in the last 59 seconds of regulation, we held Manning to less this game than XLVIII. I have no doubt that's what PC likes, and yes, against a better team on both sides of the ball.

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
Exittium":2xvocwuj said:

Seriously?? Von Miller is a beast!

Sealake80

Reaction score
If Pete is happy. We should all start celebrating now. I'm done worrying about the Seahawks. I just enjoy now. I thought we might lose against Denver this time but knew that even if we did there was plenty of time left for Pete to win forever.

themunn

Reaction score
We all love turnovers, but Denver moved down the field on us a few times in the Superbowl and we came up with the turnover when it mattered.

On Sunday they crossed midfield just 4 times - one of those when they started on their own 36 after the missed FG, and even then it resulted in a punt from the Seattle 46. The other 3 times ended in a FG, an interception and the end-of-game drive.

This was definitely a more impressive defensive performance - and against what appears to be an improved Denver offense (or so they will have us believe, with the return of Clady and Sanders (who was their best player on Sunday by a distance) in for Decker).

Offensively we were decent in the first half and then struggled a bit more in the second half, but the Denver defense is no joke - and it looks as if we played conservatively in the second half to avoid turnovers because we were happy to let our defense control the game. When it really mattered and the game was on the line we were able to dismantle them, with 9 of the 13 overtime plays going for between 5-7 yards, 2 for 11/12 yards and the other 2 throwaways.

The Denver O got away with some luck too - the almost Kam interception for example, and the Smith fumble recovery (although the end result of that was a long TD drive to close the 2nd half).

Threedee

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1zdaelyl said:
Sgt. Largent":1zdaelyl said:

Based on yards, with the exception of 80 yards in the last 59 seconds of regulation, we held Manning to less this game than XLVIII. I have no doubt that's what PC likes, and yes, against a better team on both sides of the ball.

If Maxwell had followed D Thomas into the end zone at the conclusion of the 3rd Q of the SB, and promptly turned around to locate the ball, we'd be talking about a shutout, potentially a second pick 6, and a perfect performance (minus the early drives where we settled for field goals).

Latest posts