2 Pt: All Sherman had to do was push DT out of bounds

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
The 2 point conversion really bothered me. Demariyus Thomas jumped probably as high as he possibly could to catch that pass, and he was about as close to the back of the end zone as he could possibly be. All Sherman or any other Seahawk had to do was push DT in the midsection right out of bounds while he is flying through the air with the ball and its game over. Should have been a no brainer for an intelligent, prepared player like Sherman.

I'm guessing that is why Sherman seemed so dejected after the game. They will all get coach up on it I'm sure. It probably will not happen again. Also you can't take anything away from a great QB - WR combo like Manning and Thomas. Still, that was pretty infuriating.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Personally I preferred letting them get their hopes and crushing them with unanswerable drive in OT rather than sneaking through with a failed 2PT conversion.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Carroll said Sherman played it well on the radio this morning. Manning made a perfect throw, and Thomas made a fantastic catch. Give the other guys some credit.

I love the thought that this is an easy play to make. The DB has to time it perfectly after locating the ball and attempting to make a play on it. If goes for the push too soon, that's an automatic PI. Remember Golden drawing that flag in the Super Bowl and everyone calling the Broncos' DB a bonehead for it? The DB has a split second to make that push, which Sherman attempted to do. Thomas still got his feet in -- great play by him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
He did try to push him out, but it's not easy to push a 240 lb TE that far.

What I would have liked Sherman to do is just blast him as hard a he could to disrupt Thomas's feet to maybe get one of them to not be able to touch down.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
That was an awesome pass in a ridiculously small window and a fantastic catch to match. Nothing wrong with giving the opponents some props when warranted like that play.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2x80qi2i said:
If goes for the push too soon, that's an automatic PI.

As an aside what would be the outcome of OPI on a 2pt conversion? Is it just replayed? If so might have been worth the risk.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Easy thing to say while you're watching the slow-motion replay from your couch. Sherm hit him, but the guy made a great catch.

2_0_6

Reaction score
It was a picture perfect pass put in the window, and DT is a mountain of a man. Good coverage by Sherm and he tried to push him out.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Do you think Sherm didn't try to push him out? What do you think he was doing, trying to help him land safely?

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's been said many times, but you really can't defend a perfect pass.

You honestly can't get pressure fast enough on Manning in that situation. He's pretty much unstoppable within 10 yards with those WRs and decent protection. I honestly wonder why Denver doesn't go for 2 more often.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
He hit Thomas exactly where you said he should. He drove Thomas out of the endzone. Thomas still got his feet down by his tippie toes.

Let's change the title of this post to 2Pt: All Sherman had to do was set phaser to kill and disintegrate Thomas.

byau

Reaction score
Just curious, watching the replay and knowing Sherman's length and ability, does anyone else think he could have tipped the ball had he gone for the ball?

It seemed like he had his mind set already on getting him out of bounds instead of going for the ball (ala Crabtree and NFCCC)

Regardless, yes that was an awesome pass.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nah, it's better that it turned out the way it did. Just adds to the character of the team, and adds to the confidence of Wilson in the clutch. I'd rather win on an 80 yard drive in overtime, where all Lord Manning can do is stand there and watch.

kearly

Reaction score
I think in that situation the best way to defend that play is to concede the catch but instead tackle the legs and carry the receiver out. As far as I know doing so is legal, I'm surprised teams don't do this more on catches by the sidelines. Unwritten rule?

JGreen79

Reaction score
kearly":ewmcxx3a said:
I think in that situation the best way to defend that play is to concede the catch but instead tackle the legs and carry the receiver out. As far as I know doing so is legal, I'm surprised teams don't do this more on catches by the sidelines. Unwritten rule?

If i remember correctly a blatant carry out can be considered a catch. Not sure on the exact wording but I think it's in there.

Exittium

Reaction score
What with all the crap on sherman stuff all of a sudden?? I'm curious. Because IMO sherman played very well yesterday.