Overtime rule

Aristotle22

Reaction score
I noticd the ESPN announcers talking about how Manning didn't get he ball in overtime. Deion Sanders also on NFL Network. Seems like they are lobbying for both teams getting a shot

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
Peyton doesn't deserve a shot because THEIR TEAM doesn't deserve a shot.

TwilightError

Reaction score
I just love this discussion.

-The Seahawks demolish Broncos in Super Bowl -> change the PI rules.
-The Seahawks win Broncos in overtime -> change overtime rules.

Anyone recognize a pattern?

RiverDog

Reaction score
Aristotle22":1wpmjo5p said:
I noticd the ESPN announcers talking about how Manning didn't get he ball in overtime. Deion Sanders also on NFL Network. Seems like they are lobbying for both teams getting a shot

I don't mind the discussion about OT rules, but some in Denver are taking it a step too far, calling it "pure dumb luck" that we won. If he wants to talk about "pure dumb luck", I suggest he check and see how many times over the past 3 years Steven Hauska has missed a FG attempt from inside 50 and reflect on how lucky they were to even be in the position to tie the game.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_265 ... cos-ending

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
TwilightError":8il5axoi said:

You forgot:

-Wes Welker gets suspended for four games -> change NFL drug policy to cut Welker's suspension to two games so he can play against Seattle.

renofox

Reaction score
TwilightError":2efkyg0h said:

-Wes Welker is going to miss the rematch against the Seahawks -> change the drug rules.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Yeah, dumb luck that their defense couldn't answer the final bell.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Eric Davis in NFL AM seems to be the only one to understand that Denver got their chance. Their defense did, and that means the team did.

Birdfinger

Reaction score
It's insulting to the Broncos defense that they're not considered good enough to represent the team in an overtime period.

Maybe the rules need to be changed because the Seahawks defense didn't get the chance to shut down Peyton again.

I have no problem with the Seahawks offense or defense starting off in OT.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Aristotle22":3h8fszj7 said:

Sour grapes once again.

I thought the national TV commentators pulled this little quips as well. I muted the telly sound and turned on the radio but it was out of synch by a play.

Such generic and whiny and commentary.

Largent80

Reaction score
TwilightError":lg9ofwoz said:

-Welker busted for drugs-> Change the rules.

I added one.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
I guess Denver forgets when Tebow won on the first play in OT?
And that was a PLAYOFF game.

"A rejuvenated Tebow connected with Demaryius Thomas on an electrifying 80-yard touchdown pass on the first play of overtime and the Broncos defeated the stunned Pittsburgh Steelers 29-23 in the AFC wild-card game on Sunday.

Wild doesn't begin to describe it. The play took 11 seconds and was the quickest ending to an overtime in NFL history.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The overtime rule allowing for a TD to end a game an overtime game has been in place for eons. The rule allowing any score to end a game was changed 3-4 years ago. As a matter of fact, we won a game two years ago by taking our first possession in OT and scoring a touchdown, vs. the Bears in 2012, under the current system.

So why choose now to complain about it? Is it because people/media has a legitimate concern about the fairness of it or is it because it just so happened that the best quarterback in the game didn't participate in the OT period?

Justwin

Reaction score
TwilightError":si23le70 said:

I'm definitely seeing a pattern.

fiverabbit

Reaction score
Denver benefitted from this exact rule when Tebow threw a TD to Demaryius against the Steelers in overtime. Big Ben never got a chance....and that was an actual playoff game.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing a rule change. I prefer the college way in which the 2nd team has a chance to match or exceed the other. If we had lost a coin flip and Manning had scored a TD, wouldn't you want to see Russell Wilson given the opportunity to match that?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3k87jy4y said:
I wouldn't mind seeing a rule change. I prefer the college way in which the 2nd team has a chance to match or exceed the other. If we had lost a coin flip and Manning had scored a TD, wouldn't you want to see Russell Wilson given the opportunity to match that?
No...the Seahawks would be represented by the Defense. If the defense can't stop a team from marching down the field for a TD, then the team deserves to lose

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
You guys are forgetting that the OT rule was changed to its current form after the Manning lead Colts didn't get a shot to win against the Chargers in OT.

And this illegal contact emphasis has happened before, after a physical Patriots secondary beat up the Manning lead Colts.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
-The Glove-":24osi4pm said:
hawknation2014":24osi4pm said:
No...the Seahawks would be represented by the Defense. If the defense can't stop a team from marching down the field for a TD, then the team deserves to lose

I just wish we could have seen the defense represented in overtime. I think they would have cracked Manning and won the game if given the opportunity. As it stands, only two units ultimately decide the game-- the offense of the team that wins the coin flip and the defense of the team that loses. The other offense and defense are irrelevant under the current overtime rules.