Random Thoughts on the Denver game

kearly

Reaction score
This game was one of the better ones of the Russell Wilson era. It's right up there with the Chicago game in 2012 or the Texans game last year. In terms of wild swings of emotion, this might have been the most intense game in many years.

The emotion of this game went from nervous doubt, to supreme confidence, to lingering doubt, to outright fear, to elation of near certain victory (Chancellor pick), to horror, to victorious triumph.

Peyton Manning very nearly brought his team back to victory in one of the guttiest performances of his career, and yet as quickly as the Broncos roared back into the game, Wilson and Lynch slammed that door shut. For as heroic as Manning was, he'll probably not sleep a wink tonight while muttering to himself "tails never fails."

And this happened between the best two teams in the NFL! It was only the sixth time ever that a SB duo met again the next season. And it was also the best game of the weekend.

Now that's going into the bye with style. Now all we have to do is wonder if Arizona can voodoo their way to 16-0.

I have to take my hat off to the Broncos. They had the right kind of gameplan for this game. They sold out to defend the short play, and they played physical. No fake-tough-guy dirty play in this one. Denver wants to be a legitimate tough team, and they showed that they've made real strides towards being a tough team in this game. They willingly let this game turn into a fistfight, and they damn near won it anyway. In our house. That's impressive.

John Fox probably had the worst performance of his career in XLVIII, but he had a good gameplan for Denver this time and his (or Adam Gase's) route running bag of tricks on the final drive of regulation was the work of an evil genius.

While the refs did blow some calls in this game, they seemed to blow calls both ways and they generally let both teams get away with a lot of stuff. In particular I saw a ton of holds by Denver's OL go uncalled, and a ton of iffy pass protections by Seattle go unpenalized. All things considered, Seattle usually wins when the officials avoid taking center stage.

Wilson finally paid big for a boneheaded throw, and for a few minutes it felt like Seattle was going to give the game away. But other than a few nightmarish series in the 4th quarter, I thought this was yet another amazing game for Wilson where he made plays despite rarely having open receivers downfield. And though Lynch's YPC was low, I thought he made a huge difference in this game as well. His diving TD to seal the game was vintage Lynch. He makes great plays look goofy, which is part of why I'll miss him so much when he's gone.

I am not concerned about Seattle's defense. That 4th quarter was weird, and no other team has faced anything close to the gauntlet of QBs Seattle has to lead off the year. I love how Seattle's run defense has looked, and though Seattle is hurting for sacks, it seems like they get the QB to hurry his passes more than any D in the league.

I am just a little concerned about the offense. Even though it's humming pretty well, it seems like a lack of deep ball presence really has defenses creeping up on the short stuff. Seattle needs to stretch the field in the worst way. Having only 1 deep attempt is a concern for me, especially since the success of that attempt should have goaded Seattle into throwing deep a lot more often.

Right now, I think last year's Seahawks team is the better version, but that will change the moment Russell Wilson gets his deep ball groove back and is throwing deep 4-5 times a game like he used to. I think the only thing separating Seattle from a 35 points a game average is getting defenses to stop cheating up so much.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":a6b92oxp said:
Now that's going into the bye with style. Now all we have to do is wonder if Arizona can voodoo their way to 16-0.

No one is sniffing 16-0, and it's definitely not that Cardinals team.

Seafan

Reaction score
Bevell and Russell did some horrible game managment. This game should never have been close. The OC pissed the blowout away. The defense played great and once again was put into situations because of poor game managment by Bevell and Wilson. This can't continue or this team is screwed.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Seafan":2ur43kb8 said:
Bevell and Russell did some horrible game managment. This game should never have been close. The OC pissed the blowout away. The defense played great and once again was put into situations because of poor game managment by Bevell and Wilson. This can't continue or this team is screwed.

You were saying the same thing all last year. Get a grip.

dusktreader

Reaction score
Seafan":35ka5kmf said:

I don't blame the coaches at all. I think we let the Donkeys in with a few bonehead plays be inidiviuals.

Particularly, I'm thinking of the ugly pick that falls squarely on Wilson, Percy bringing out a ball that absolutely shoulda been kneeled, Russell holding the ball forever inside the 5, and Marshawn trying to bounce it outside for a gain when he needed to just run straight ahead to get out of the Safety.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
The Hawks played horrible in the 4th quarter. This game should never have been this close. Wilson taking the sack on his own goaline, the safety, Wilson throwing the puck, missing Walters on a third down conversation, Percy going full spaz and returning that kickoff instead of taking the touchback.

Very poor play that was more us than them. We have much growing up to do.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":p3t10li5 said:
kearly":p3t10li5 said:

No one is sniffing 16-0, and it's definitely not that Cardinals team.
Oh, here we go with yet another know-it-all, emphatic statement. Similar to comments made about RW in his rookie season. Good luck with that, Nostradamous[emoji1]

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Considering all the speed we have at receiver why can't we get guys open deep?

The Battle #83

Reaction score
friend sent me this
Since Week 9 of the 2012 season, the Broncos’ Peyton Manning and Seahawks’ Russell Wilson have the highest passer ratings in the NFL.

Wow, The offense is in good hands

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
dusktreader":1ss8uemc said:
Particularly, I'm thinking of the ugly pick that falls squarely on Wilson, Percy bringing out a ball that absolutely shoulda been kneeled, Russell holding the ball forever inside the 5, and Marshawn trying to bounce it outside for a gain when he needed to just run straight ahead to get out of the Safety.

Can't disagree with this at all. And I think the players would have tough time arguing too. One thing about those mistakes though, they're all in the same category: trying to do just a little bit too much.

As a category, I can live with that a lot easier than other runs of mistakes.

formido

Reaction score
Denver's defense is very good. And Seattle's offense is killed by Wilson never keeping on the read option.

When you're expected to beat the 2nd best team in the NFL, and you do? You're a champion.

the_12th_man

Reaction score
Very good write up. I saw you wrote you thought last years version is better then this year's Seahawks. I was wondering if you think that through the first 3 games of last year compared to this year. Granted we were 3-0 last year but it feels similar to the same ineptitudes as far as performance. It seems the hawks always start a little slow as far as getting all three phases of the game put together but seem to find our stride later. It was an extremely tough game and Denver deserves a lot of credit. Much needed when before the bye. Go HAWKS!!!

A

Anonymous

Is it just me, or does having the nervous tension back in the game experience make it feel more like real Seahawks football?

This year just looks a whole bunch like 2012, and having the "oh crap, we're gonna lose!" feeling in the fourth quarter is just burned into my head. I think it makes it that much more awesome when we end up winning.

Call me crazy, but it was a fun game today for me. My team won, and my fingernails are trimmed up too.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
formido":3qvokbbb said:
And Seattle's offense is killed by Wilson never keeping on the read option.
i think this is a fair call, but I also think it served as a bit of a rope-a-dope to Denver when he started to keep it in OT. When Wilson started running, Denver had no answer. When they tried to answer, it caused holes in their defense that we exploited. It's as if we kept that in our back pocket just in case of emergency.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Wilson kept a read option for a nice gain on the final drive.

And how could i forget, RUSSELL WILSON FINALLY CAUGHT A PASS! It only took two years longer to happen than I thought it would.

I don't know why anyone would complain too much about how the Hawks performed today. There were a small number of ugly mistakes late, but Seattle had the ball for over 38 minutes and generally controlled the game much more than the wild finish would indicate.

djb28

Reaction score
Nice write up. I am really scratching my head as to why we have all this speed and no Deep balls? I am not asking for the Greatest Show on Turf. But a a few shots would be nice. Maxwell concerns me.

gargantual

Reaction score
kearly":gp795550 said:
I am not concerned about Seattle's defense. That 4th quarter was weird, and no other team has faced anything close to the gauntlet of QBs Seattle has to lead off the year.

This really brings things into focus. We're so spoiled that going 2-1 through these elite QBs is cause to complain. 5 years ago we would've been ECSTATIC to be where we're at right now.

The team seems a bit mortal now, and after all the crowing we've been able to do all off-season, I gotta keep reminding myself that this is the NFL, with the parity, and all that. And Carroll teams are known historically to improve over the course of a season.

Back when Holmy said in a postgame presser that they'll fix these things, I never felt a lot of confidence. With the staff that Pete assembles, you just know that when they see a problem, it will actually get fixed.

Just like Russell continuing his upward arc. (Oh, and I really want us to resign Beastmode:) !)

And thanks once again for your insight Kearly. It always tends to bring me back down to Earth. Too many damned years being a worrywart, I guess.

Seafan

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":21wih1k2 said:
Seafan":21wih1k2 said:

You were saying the same thing all last year. Get a grip.

No I did not. I was in the Pro Bevell camp last season and clearly the last two games Bevell has done a horrible job. You can joke about it but the difference to getting back to the Super Bowl can be something like this. Stupid game management. The defense should be pissed.

Tical21

Reaction score
How does Maxwell not adjust after he doesn't hand the receiver off the first two times? Is he really not supposed to?

I thought for much of the third and fourth quarter, Bevell was a little lost. He got stuck calling similar routes expecting different results. I don't like how we never line up in running formations anymore. Bevell got it back with the misdirection screen to Lynch and was good again on the final drive, but for a while he looked incapable of predicting a play that would work. Wilson's legs really won the game.

It is nice to know we can send Percy on a drag route at will whenever we need a few yards.

Other than the completion to Miller, did we try to throw the ball into the middle of the field all day long?

We ran the same play-action waggle all day long. Effective play.

Two weeks in a row we have seen athletic outside rushers give Wilson fits. Teams are starting to take notes that he always tries to escape outside, rather than up the middle. Russell is going to have to make an adjustment. He probably will.

I hate that stupid Welker middle-screen. That is not football, should be outlawed.

Missing the field goal and going conservative to setup our other field goal later just about cost us. Wilson was a little non-chalant when he threw the ball over Walters without any pressure.

Sweezy was a monster today in the few times that I noticed.

Jordan Hill got off the ball well. Cassius Marsh flashed onto the screen on more than an occasion or two. Bennett collapsed the pocket a bunch. I thought Avril got handled though. Manning tried to run right at Marsh when he came into the game but he didn't give too much ground. Nicely done.

We're still waiting for that other pass-rusher to step up.

KJ Wright again played very well in a big game. For a guy that rarely gets mentioned, he sure makes a lot of important plays for us.

It is time for Bevell to add some new components. I thought he ran out of ideas. Russell really bailed him out.

We're 2-1 instead of 1-2. That is really big.