david deihl

davidonmi

Reaction score
I think this was his 2nd game broadcasting. What did everyone think of him?
Maybe it was just the way we were playing that soured my mood but I thought he was pretty brutal.
He was repetitive, he over analyzed every play, and added very littler insight if any.
Makes me miss tim Ryan

DHawk

Reaction score
I didn't really mind him. I thought it was hilarious that at around :40 seconds left in the game they actually said something along the lines of "This is a tough decision right here, do you go for it on 4th down to keep the ball from the Seahawks or kick the field goal?" Really?

HawkWow

Reaction score
I didn't think he was any worse than Tim Ryan. But I may have been too wrapped up in the game to actually listen to anything they had to say.

Ryan, and most of these guys, talk as though the viewer is watching their first game. Seldom do they offer much in the way of education to anyone more than the most casual of fans. They are irritating fodder, imo.

Listening with the sound off sux because of the lack of crowd noise (etc) so that's not the answer.

In fairness, this is true in almost all sports. I'd love to see the ratio between 1st time, un-knowing viewers and repeat, educated viewers. I'm gonna guess the 1st timer is outnumbered by about 20 million to 1, so the network shouldn't feel like they need to explain the benefits of placing a punt inside the 10 or why a ground ball just might result in a double play.

Pet peeve # 1,245. Sorry for the rant.

OP
OP
davidonmi

davidonmi

Reaction score
I certainly don't love Ryan. I just don't think he loved hearing himself talk quite like Diehl.
John lynch was my favorite color guy from fox last year

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I felt like I was watching a poorly done Chargers home broadcast team. It was tough to listen to.

getnasty

Reaction score
I'm sure it was because we were losing but i thought he was absolutely horrible.

blkhwk

Reaction score
He was awful!

referred to Marshawn Lynch as " the team's cow bell" not once, but at least twice.

Guess the problem with the offense was........... "needed more cow bell!"

seedhawk

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but, isn't he the guy we tried to sign in FA, and he stayed with the Bolts, and then retired?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2ylssjn2 said:
I felt like I was watching a poorly done Chargers home broadcast team. It was tough to listen to.

Ditto, these guys were definitely Chargers fans and it got old fast. They couldn't bring the knowledge from their head to their mouth piece. Not pathetic bad, but hard to listen to.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
blkhwk":1uk4jgqn said:
He was awful!

referred to Marshawn Lynch as " the team's cow bell" not once, but at least twice.

Guess the problem with the offense was........... "needed more cow bell!"
As someone said in the Gameday Forum, more cowbell is always a good thing. :D

kmedic

Reaction score
David Diehl sucked, he has to be one of the worst analysts. He makes Tim Ryan sound like Madden. He kept calling Jordan Hill "Brandon Mebane" and referred to him as the MVP of the team. At the end of the half with 16 seconds left, 1st and goal, and NO timeouts he questions why we aren't running the ball with Lynch. Uhh, no timeouts Diehl. What are we supposed to do if he gets tackled short of the goal line? The guy clearly didn't do his homework. He sounded like a casual east coast NFL fan calling a Seahawks game.

And Thom Brenamen- how many friggin times do we need to hear about how we got away with Percy going out of bounds on his TD. I can't imagine how many more times he would have spewed about it if we had won the game. Dude was mentioning it even late in the 4th quarter.

It was like Cheech and Chong out there. Horrible broadcast.

Steve2222

Reaction score
seedhawk":1a0snwm6 said:
I could be wrong, but, isn't he the guy we tried to sign in FA, and he stayed with the Bolts, and then retired?

That would be Kris Dielman.

Dave Diehl was a long time Giant.

gargantual

Reaction score
ivotuk":3mdpuols said:
Jazzhawk":3mdpuols said:

Ditto, these guys were definitely Chargers fans and it got old fast. They couldn't bring the knowledge from their head to their mouth piece. Not pathetic bad, but hard to listen to.

I actually thought that for a second, until it occurred to me that they don't do that crap outside of the preseason. Have to admit they gave props to the "defending champions", but they were waaaay too happy when a play went the Chargers way. Either they were unprofessional in not masking their bias, or else it's just that natural urge for people to root for the underdog (they WERE not favored to win after all).

At least it wasn't as bad as Mike Martz calling a Hawks/Rams game.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Steve2222":2h3m554r said:
seedhawk":2h3m554r said:

That would be Kris Dielman.

Dave Diehl was a long time Giant.

You are right. Thanks for that. This getting old is hell!

sc85sis

Reaction score
kmedic":6iyeeahw said:
David Diehl sucked, he has to be one of the worst analysts. He makes Tim Ryan sound like Madden. He kept calling Jordan Hill "Brandon Mebane" and referred to him as the MVP of the team. At the end of the half with 16 seconds left, 1st and goal, and NO timeouts he questions why we aren't running the ball with Lynch. Uhh, no timeouts Diehl. What are we supposed to do if he gets tackled short of the goal line? The guy clearly didn't do his homework. He sounded like a casual east coast NFL fan calling a Seahawks game.

And Thom Brenamen- how many friggin times do we need to hear about how we got away with Percy going out of bounds on his TD. I can't imagine how many more times he would have spewed about it if we had won the game. Dude was mentioning it even late in the 4th quarter.

It was like Cheech and Chong out there. Horrible broadcast.
Thom should stick to baseball, which he's pretty good at.

tubbs51

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":11xaq5no said:

Thats exactly what i thought too. Seemed like a preseason broadcast team. Normally i hate it when people are talking above the game but in this case i had 0 issues with it. Even with Tim Ryan that never happened.

Maybe Fox is trolling us and they're all like "They hate Tim Ryan, well we'll find some one they'll hate even more"

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2nqd4cfz said:

Spot on. Bush league. Not quite at the level of the Rams broadcast wheeling the stadium chef into the booth (my god I was embarrassed for that organization) but the commentary was clearly skewed the Chargers way.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
They seemed to lack a perspective or understanding of basic football strategy.

First off, fine Percy Harvin stepped out of bounds. It still would have been a first down in San Diego territory. It's not like that call changed possession. It wasn't quite as egregious as they were making it out to be.

Secondly, they seemed to be very surprised that Pete would go for it on 4th down with less than 2 minutes left in the game. Duh, everyone knew that was coming.

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawkWow":wekyx2rz said:
I didn't think he was any worse than Tim Ryan. But I may have been too wrapped up in the game to actually listen to anything they had to say.

Ryan, and most of these guys, talk as though the viewer is watching their first game. Seldom do they offer much in the way of education to anyone more than the most casual of fans. They are irritating fodder, imo.

Listening with the sound off sux because of the lack of crowd noise (etc) so that's not the answer.

In fairness, this is true in almost all sports. I'd love to see the ratio between 1st time, un-knowing viewers and repeat, educated viewers. I'm gonna guess the 1st timer is outnumbered by about 20 million to 1, so the network shouldn't feel like they need to explain the benefits of placing a punt inside the 10 or why a ground ball just might result in a double play.

Pet peeve # 1,245. Sorry for the rant.

I get ya, and I feel the same way. Thing is, I played football and I have a fairly good understanding of it. There's probably a higher level of football IQ on this site than anywhere I've seen except PFF's site. The basic analysis resonates with most fans.

Look at Monday Night Football as an example. They brought Dennis Miller on board. Personally, I thought he was suprisingly knowledgable about football, but he uses an advanced vocabulary and his analogies are sometimes hard to get if you're not highly educated. ABC had a website dedicated to explaining his analogies and vocabulary (I didn't know this, lol !). So, Miller didn't last all that long, as he didn't resonate with the average fan.

The average newspaper is written at a 5th grade level. This is so they don't lose the average person. I try not to overestimated the intelligence of the average person.