I said it last week ill say it again. We need to run more

gowazzu02

Reaction score
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96063

So last week I was chastised by a few. I was saying when your bell cow is averageing 5-6 yards a pop, keep giving it to him.

Well here we go again. Yesterday Lynch has 3 touches in the first half... ok fine, SD did a good job of taking us out of our game plan. Second half lets get back to seahawks football. The few carries lynch did get he was gashing them...........but alas he ends up with what 10 touchs on the day?

lobohawk

Reaction score
You have to have the ball to give it to Lynch. I could see 2-3 more touches out of the actual plays, but that's about it. Everyone seems to be having an issue misinterpreting Lynch's low touch count with playcalling. It was really a matter of how often the O had the ball and when.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
lobohawk":259rzb8n said:
You have to have the ball to give it to Lynch. I could see 2-3 more touches out of the actual plays, but that's about it. Everyone seems to be having an issue misinterpreting Lynch's low touch count with playcalling. It was really a matter of how often the O had the ball and when.

Im probably picking nits. But heres the drive chart. First possession in the second half... Our D was on the field all first half, and we throw three straight passes and punt.

1st and 10 at SEA 20 (11:32) PENALTY on SEA-Z.Miller, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at SEA 20 - No Play. 14 20
1st and 15 at SEA 15 (11:32) (Shotgun) R.Lockette right end to SEA 17 for 2 yards (R.Marshall).
2nd and 13 at SEA 17 (10:51) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short left to M.Lynch to SEA 25 for 8 yards (E.Weddle, M.Gilchrist).
3rd and 5 at SEA 25 (10:01) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete short left. Penalty on SEA-Z.Miller, Offensive Pass Interference, declined.
4th and 5 at SEA 25 (9:52) J.Ryan punts 61 yards to SD 14, Center-C.Gresham. E.Royal to SD 31 for 17 yards (D.Shead). PENALTY on SEA-K.Wright, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at SEA 25 - No Play.

Fast forward to fourth qtr. 10 minutes left in the game, We are down 6.
1st and 10 at SEA 14 (10:16) R.Wilson pass short left to J.Kearse to SEA 21 for 7 yards (S.Wright). 21 27
2nd and 3 at SEA 21 (9:45) (Shotgun) M.Lynch up the middle to SEA 28 for 7 yards (T.Williams, D.Butler).
1st and 10 at SEA 28 (9:18) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete short right.
2nd and 10 at SEA 28 (9:09) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete short right to D.Baldwin.
Timeout #1 by SEA at 09:01.
3rd and 10 at SEA 28 (9:01) PENALTY on SEA-J.Sweezy, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at SEA 28 - No Play.
3rd and 15 at SEA 23 (9:01) (Shotgun) R.Wilson scrambles right end to SEA 36 for 13 yards (D.Butler).
4th and 2 at SEA 36 (8:07) J.Ryan punts 64 yards to end zone, Center-C.Gresham, Touchback.

Lynch got the ball once here, gained 7 yards..... and never toucvhed it again.

I recognize the lack of touching the ball. But here are two drives where we ran one time, and punted twice. These were early in the second half, plenty of time to get our game plan going.....

Anthony!

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3kpxr1ys said:
lobohawk":3kpxr1ys said:

Im probably picking nits. But heres the drive chart. First possession in the second half... Our D was on the field all first half, and we throw three straight passes and punt.

1st and 10 at SEA 20 (11:32) PENALTY on SEA-Z.Miller, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at SEA 20 - No Play. 14 20
1st and 15 at SEA 15 (11:32) (Shotgun) R.Lockette right end to SEA 17 for 2 yards (R.Marshall).
2nd and 13 at SEA 17 (10:51) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short left to M.Lynch to SEA 25 for 8 yards (E.Weddle, M.Gilchrist).
3rd and 5 at SEA 25 (10:01) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete short left. Penalty on SEA-Z.Miller, Offensive Pass Interference, declined.
4th and 5 at SEA 25 (9:52) J.Ryan punts 61 yards to SD 14, Center-C.Gresham. E.Royal to SD 31 for 17 yards (D.Shead). PENALTY on SEA-K.Wright, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at SEA 25 - No Play.

Fast forward to fourth qtr. 10 minutes left in the game, We are down 6.
1st and 10 at SEA 14 (10:16) R.Wilson pass short left to J.Kearse to SEA 21 for 7 yards (S.Wright). 21 27
2nd and 3 at SEA 21 (9:45) (Shotgun) M.Lynch up the middle to SEA 28 for 7 yards (T.Williams, D.Butler).
1st and 10 at SEA 28 (9:18) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete short right.
2nd and 10 at SEA 28 (9:09) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete short right to D.Baldwin.
Timeout #1 by SEA at 09:01.
3rd and 10 at SEA 28 (9:01) PENALTY on SEA-J.Sweezy, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at SEA 28 - No Play.
3rd and 15 at SEA 23 (9:01) (Shotgun) R.Wilson scrambles right end to SEA 36 for 13 yards (D.Butler).
4th and 2 at SEA 36 (8:07) J.Ryan punts 64 yards to end zone, Center-C.Gresham, Touchback.

Lynch got the ball once here, gained 7 yards..... and never toucvhed it again.

I recognize the lack of touching the ball. But here are two drives where we ran one time, and punted twice. These were early in the second half, plenty of time to get our game plan going.....

I can see what you are saying but lets remember in both drives there were drops by the Wr that had they not dropped them we were still moving. However that said given how bad the pass blocking was running would have helped make the defense hesitate and give Rw another second which is all he needed. I now see our run game as a way to make up for our o-lines inability to pass protect it gives Rw another second to do something, which is all he needs, no run game and the o-line has to straight up pass block something they are not good at for some reason, and given it has existed for 2+ years it appears something the FO is not concerned with fixing.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
You point out one series where a penalty put them in a 1st and 20 situation and another series that was also penalized. That is going to affect the run game. At most, there's maybe 1 more touch for Lynch in the two series you described, and that also ignores whether or not the QB audibled out of a play due to the front he was facing.

Seriously, where are all the threads talking about D. Quinn's gameplan, which was obviously the bigger issue of the day? Maybe we should be talking about the decision to run way more base D than normal, which left our LBs on skill players who outmatched them. Talking about one RB's touches with zero situational context gives us no insight into this game, and is largely pointless because that wasn't even close to being a deciding factor in this loss. And yet, every thread here is about offensive play calls. I don't get it.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Running Lynch more would have made it less likely they pressure RW as much as they did. There was also that screwy Lockette fly sweep where he ran into Harvin while taking the handoff--this could have been more of a disaster. Lockett and Walter are fast but lack the physicality and finish of guys like Percy and Lynch.
Those oddball plays ate into what should have been Lynch runs.

getnasty

Reaction score
People are making way to much of this. Percy had a long touchdown run, that took touches from Lynch. Percy fumbled the kickoff, that took touches from Lynch. We were in a hurry up 2 minute offense at the end of the half, that took touches from Lynch. We were playing from behind all day that took touches from Lynch. Our defense couldn't get off the field, that took touches from Lynch. I'm sure Bevell's game plan going into the game was to give Marshawn 6 carries just like it was Quinn's game plan to give up several third down conversions. Sometimes the game doesn't play out the way you want it to, this was one of those game.

chris98251

Reaction score
People, you run some plays to set up others, they may fail but give a look to option to what you really want to do or are run to test what the formation you will see from the defense. We hardly had the ball, so the plays that didn't work are going to be magnified.