A couple of quick thoughts before bed

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
....and I gotta get up @ 3:45 AM. Ugh. I won't call these random thoughts cuz that belongs to someone smarter than I. :D

1. Russell's decision making is looking like it's going to be amazing from this point forward in his career. I remember but one poor choice on a throw and Zach bailed him out of that one. Otherwise a controlled, precision like surgeon's performance.

2. O-line looked better than last year and against some good pass rushers. And that comment is knowing Okung isn't in top football shape yet. Britt has a long way to go but he already is better than McQ was last year IMO.

3. Percy Harvin is going to make everyone else's space on the field much more open. What a weapon! And don't worry about him stumbling. I think he was so hyped up that he kind of got ahead of himself so to speak. His natural speed and athleticism will take over from here on out.

4. I think Darrell Bevell's been planning on how to use Harvin for over a year now and he had some wonderful designs both in terms of utilizing him and as a decoy.

5. The defense played well over all and as Kearly has mentioned numerous times, they just make every QB they play become a Checkdown Charlie. I did feel they weren't as good on 3rd down as they need to be. Run defense was excellent!

6. Sure would've be nice to see Rodgers try Sherm at least once. Pussy.

7. Marshawn is still Marshawn. There haven't been many trades in the history of the franchise as good as the one that got us Lynch. I'm not so sure we're going to see him elsewhere next year. He'll cost plenty but if he'll go 2 years I'd love to see him back. He still looks like he did when he first arrived in Seattle to my eyes.

8. I think Robert Turbin suffers from us watching Marshawn Lynch run. Lynch breaks so many tackles and is so special Robert suffers a bit to our eyes. No, he's not going to be an every down back but he is little better than we think I believe.

9. The red zone offense looks improved. We need that to put games away. Remember, had we got a TD after the strip of Krap and subsequent fumble recovery on their 9 yd line in the 4th qtr of the NFCCG last year, the game wouldn't have come down to Sherm's tip. That's just one example from last year.

10. GO HAWKS!!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Agreed. I need to watch the game on TV which I plan on doing here in a few (Yay for a vacation day tomorrow!) but I was frustrated over a lack of pass rush tonight. Yeah, I know it's Aaron Rodgers and he has that quick release but there were several plays he seemed to have all day back there.

Overall, it was a nice start to the season. And boy oh boy was it electric down there tonight!!

jake206

Reaction score
I know this is just pie in the sky thoughts, but any possibility to signing both Marshawn and RW long term??

hawkstrap

Reaction score
Aros":1qxx963x said:
Agreed. I need to watch the game on TV which I plan on doing here in a few (Yay for a vacation day tomorrow!) but I was frustrated over a lack of pass rush tonight. Yeah, I know it's Aaron Rodgers and he has that quick release but there were several plays he seemed to have all day back there.

Overall, it was a nice start to the season. And boy oh boy was it electric down there tonight!!

Agreed. Seemed we played conservative and vanilla. Yet we kicked their ass.

Can we just fast forward to the playoffs?!

chris98251

Reaction score
We were daring them to go deep, they didn't do any crossing patterns, they decided to go with the dumps and we locked them up most the time with limited YAC. Stuffed the run and Kamcussed the big back they hoped would open up the passing game.

Not a dramatic defense strategy granted but effective against a team that wants it's receivers to catch and run.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Marshawn looked better than ever. Athleticism and "explosiveness" can't replace his vision and feel for the game. So many brilliant cutbacks. If you think RBs like this are interchangeable, I got news for you...

Rainger

Reaction score
Aros":1vr2zuev said:

Aros from a TV point of view there were a lot of HOLDING and GRABBING by the pack OL not being called. I think the Hawks D Line were frustrated. They started calling a few latter. Also after it was getting out of hand and Aaron could not just dump 6 to 8 yards and needed to look further down field the pressure started to get far greater on him.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
jake206":5mv7hc7y said:
I know this is just pie in the sky thoughts, but any possibility to signing both Marshawn and RW long term??

Love Marshawn, but no way you sign a back his age to a long term contract next year.

If he stays strong all year though, I would welcome him back next year.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Aros":11dv0kll said:

I know I probably sound like a fan boy right now, but I was kinda pissed that the refs seem to have all their eyes in the defensive backfield and not on the OL anymore.

There were at least 3 beyond obvious holds that GB got away with. They were grabbing our DL's outside shouldpads and literally pulling them inside out as they held on. And yes, their arms were extended.

Conversely, even after 2 slow mo replays, I didn't see where Britt held Matthews on his one holding call. Matthews did a "veteran fall" and fell like he was held, but you honestly couldn't see it on replay. If they had that much of a microscope on Britt vs. Matthews, it's no wonder the rest of the OL didn't get called for holding. either that, or they're that much better.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Pretty much the only negatives from this game.

DB kind of a no-show or greatly over shadowed by Percy

That ET fumble

Again...the only negatives. Glad we won. Would have been great if that ET fumble didn't give them 7 (and possibly gave us 7 in return just to rub it in some more for the Packers). But either way great game.

Hopefully "Fail Mary" is now laid to rest.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Wow, what a game! And is it just me, or do the Seahawks have a knack for making blowouts seem like nail-biters for the longest time? I was on the edge of my seat for far longer than I want to admit, considering the final score.

That said, here's my two cents:

Offense still has a few hiccups to work through, but it looks far, far better than last year's, and last year's was actually fairly good. The offensive line went up against a really tough pass rush and did pretty well for themselves. I think it's a definite upgrade from last year.

And lord-a-mercy, Percy is amazeballs! Every time we lined up in that fly sweep formation, whether we gave it to Marshawn, Wilson kept it and threw or ran it himself, or whether we gave it to Harvin and just lit the fuse, you could tell every single Packers fan and player alike micturated their jock straps a little. That .00000012 second exchange from the hike to when Percy got the ball always scared the crap out of me, but wow was it smooth! Defenses are going to need a lot of game film, a lot of practice and game planning, and a lot of fresh jock straps to find a solution to that.

Marshawn was especially Marshawn-like tonight, with a helluva game. Triple digits and two touchdowns is going to make a lot of savvy fantasy footballers very happy campers. For most of the night, until we decided to just hand him the ball to grind down the clock, he had an average of about nine yards a touch. And Turbin didn't do bad in relief. He didn't have the yards, but he didn't really have the touches either. And there was one play in particular late that I remarked he looked very Marshawn-esque.

Wilson had a great game. His one almost-pick was kind of flukey. He probably shouldn't have forced the ball in there, but Miller had one of the better defensive plays I've seen from an offensive player to lunge up and spear the ball away from the defender. Stellar play, and stellar game all around by Miller. One of my top players of the game. And not to be outdone, Baldwin had a helluva defensive play too when he came back to play DB to a pass that was too short on that long go route. Outstanding play there too.

Defense had a few kinks, but held up well, considering Green Bay has one of the better offenses in the game, and a sure-fire Hall of Fame quarterback slinging the ball to some pretty stellar receivers. Maxwell gave up a bunch of catches, but that's gonna happen when Aaron Rodgers uses only his side of the field all night. He still didn't do too badly, gave up only 50-something yards or so, and had a heads-up pick. That pick alone, which gave us first and goal from the nine, pretty much took those 50-something yards and threw them in the dumpster.

Bobby Wagner had a stellar game. One of his better defensive games. He was everywhere. One iffy play, but a lot of really good ones. Kam had an off night. Now a lot of people may disagree, but I saw way too many bounce-offs, where he trucked the guy with a hit, bounced off, and the guy made some great forward progress after. Don't like to see that and hope that's one of the things they really work on this week. Saw a lot of praise for him by the talking heads and post game reporters, so I'll probably take some flack for this opinion, but I thought his game was one of the poorer I've seen.

Overall, I think we did fine defensively. Yea, sixteen points and all, but we're talking Aaron Rodgers and a pretty top tier offense. We limited him to half a field the entire game, 175 yards passing via a dink-and-dunk Checkdown Charlie game plan, and a shut-down running game. He wanted zero part of Sherman; that much was painfully obvious. Loved the 0 0 0 0 visual they kept throwing up on the screen under Sherman's name. Dude was absolutely baiting Rodgers to test him and Rodgers for his credit was smart enough not to take the bait. 'Course Maxwell made him pay dearly for that too.

When it's all said and done, boy that felt like an easy-peasy breeze of a game! I was sweating bullets through three quarters of it anyway, as a true Seahawks fan. I had the same eerie confidence in Wilson and the offense to pull it out in the end, but that didn't stop me from showing my true Seahawks colors and sitting on the edge of my seat or standing tensely most of the game.

Go Hawks!

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Hawks46":2ecywukq said:
Conversely, even after 2 slow mo replays, I didn't see where Britt held Matthews on his one holding call. Matthews did a "veteran fall" and fell like he was held, but you honestly couldn't see it on replay.
Yep. Big-time flop on that. Clay got away with one. Good thing it didn't cost us. 1-0 this week!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":2vqwpwst said:
Hawks46":2vqwpwst said:
Conversely, even after 2 slow mo replays, I didn't see where Britt held Matthews on his one holding call. Matthews did a "veteran fall" and fell like he was held, but you honestly couldn't see it on replay.
Yep. Big-time flop on that. Clay got away with one. Good thing it didn't cost us. 1-0 this week!

On a positive note about blocking Clay, I was duly impressed by how Miller generally kept him under control when assigned to him. Zack was actually on the verge of dominating him on a few of those snaps. I guess all of the time as an honorary offense lineman last season, when the line was a smelly-hot mess, paid off. Not that Miller wasn't a stout blocker before, but he looks even better know. If we lose a T have him put on about fiddy pounds and line him up :vodka:

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
ZagHawk":8kj4z8b0 said:
DB kind of a no-show or greatly over shadowed by Percy

Nah, I think this game it was all about "Lawd have mercy, we got Percy!". They been waiting a year to play with that toy and get some scary film of him out ther to give all those DCs the shakes. That's gonna pay off for everyone else.

Uffda

Reaction score
1. Russell's decision making is looking like it's going to be amazing from this point forward in his career. I remember but one poor choice on a throw and Zach bailed him out of that one. Otherwise a controlled, precision like surgeon's performance.

Another bad decision was the Baldwin long throw/underthrow, got bailed out by doug on that one.

Highlordb

Reaction score
Personally....I gotta give a shout out to Maxwell & Lane for a great job....constantly targeted (as they were afraid of Sherm) and did a good job of controlling nelson & cobb....they still got there reps but they did really do much the whole game.!