Breaking Ground Russell Wilson

chris98251

Reaction score
This will be the third season for Russell Wilson at QB something he has not done before as a starter full time any place in his career in football. Uncharted ground for him, he played two seasons in High School as a starter, he redshirted his first year at NC, split time his sophomore year and he started the next two years. Then went to baseball, played one season at Wisconsin. He has never had the stability and time to learn and perfect an offense as much as he has going into this season, I don't think anyone can put a cap on how far he can go with a team being continually built to support him and a great defense that can give him the ball to make plays with.

This is going to be a treat for us fans and has to be a bonus for Wilson who given his determination and work ethic is going to use this chance to break ground to step up another level.

themunn

Reaction score
Actually, Wilson started 10 games in 2008, 12 in 2009 and 13 in 2010 for NC State. Maybe he wasn't the starter going in to 2008 (he completed just 1 pass in the opening game of the season and didn't play in the second), but he went on to start all but 1 game after that (which he sat out completely).

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
Quoted from Wikipedia.

In 2008, Wilson initially split time at quarterback with senior Daniel Evans and junior Harrison Beck. However, Evans and Beck saw no regular season action after Week 2 and Week 5, respectively. Thereafter, Wilson led the team to a 4–3 record in the regular season which NC State finished out on a four-game winning streak.

As I said as a full time starter.

uncle fester

Reaction score
The jump he made here from rookie to second year was impressive enough. If there's an equal exponential jump from year two to three, where does that leave him? I'm stifling my expectations from these recent pre-season outings, but the potential is enough to give you goosebumps.

Assuming a new contract means another, what, 7 years (?) in Seattle from this point, the only pitfall I can see is Bevell being hired as a HC somewhere, leaving Wilson to learn a new offense again and starting over. But the familiarity with fellow players, methods, routines - as well as his own confidence in his abilities by that point - will already be in place.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
uncle fester":2jpd8zwv said:
The jump he made here from rookie to second year was impressive enough. If there's an equal exponential jump from year two to three, where does that leave him? I'm stifling my expectations from these recent pre-season outings, but the potential is enough to give you goosebumps.

Assuming a new contract means another, what, 7 years (?) in Seattle from this point, the only pitfall I can see is Bevell being hired as a HC somewhere, leaving Wilson to learn a new offense again and starting over. But the familiarity with fellow players, methods, routines - as well as his own confidence in his abilities by that point - will already be in place.

There may be a hiccup if the system changes, but I have full faith that, with Russ's leadership, that new offense would be humming along in no time flat. That said, I doubt Pete would hire an OC with much of a different system. Losing Bevell wouldn't even be a blip on the RADAR compared to when Pete finally leaves. I'm pretty sure Pete will retire well before the end of Wilson's career. When that time approaches, the FO better choose Pete's replacement VERY carefully. What a tough act to follow the man who transformed not only the team, but the entire organization. This is a very good time to be a Seahawk fan. Savor it like a fine wine. :thirishdrinkers:

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
uncle fester":3b446ok4 said:

Given the way he's playing I could see him ending up with numbers like this.

315/450 70% 3,950 yds 35 TD's 10 INT's to go along with his usual 500 yards rushing and a handful of TD's. That would be one of the most efficient QB seasons of all time.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
chris98251":2ehxje25 said:
Quoted from Wikipedia.

In 2008, Wilson initially split time at quarterback with senior Daniel Evans and junior Harrison Beck. However, Evans and Beck saw no regular season action after Week 2 and Week 5, respectively. Thereafter, Wilson led the team to a 4–3 record in the regular season which NC State finished out on a four-game winning streak.

As I said as a full time starter.

I'm sorry but this is incorrect. Wilson began the season as the sole starter, but suffered a concussion in the opening game against SC. The only time he wasn't on the field was due to injury.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
From gopack.com

Started in his first collegiate contest in the season opener at South Carolina, he suffered a concussion late in the second quarter and was taken to the hospital ... Just the third NC State quarterback since 1971 to start in his first career game ... Played just one special teams snap the next week versus William & Mary ... Missed the South Florida game due to an injury suffered at the end of the East Carolina win after he threw three touchdowns ... Had seven runs of 20 yards or more.