SI's MMQB: Green Bay Packers are best NFC team in 2014

Vetamur

Reaction score
Well, they are about to lose the head to head tie breaker so good luck with that. Not sure why they are considered deeper than us...Most position groups Id take us over them except at WR and maybe LB.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Considering that this team seems to thrive on being 'disrespected', this offseason could hardly have gone better.

themunn

Reaction score
So as long as the best team in the NFC can avoid playing a better NFC team in the playoffs they'll make it to the Superbowl.

That's essentially what that tagline says

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
...and people wonder why I think Peter King is a moron. Did his kid get fired by the Hawks or is he just being his usual contrarian douche self? Outside of Prisco, never seen a guy that thrives on being wrong all of the time. Oh well, if he insists on being the fool (which starts Thursday) who am I to stop him? Keep fueling the Hawks fire there Petey!

Largent80

Reaction score
While this is one persons OPINION, the FACTS are that the Hawks destroyed the best offense in the NFL twice in the same year.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":17syxqbi said:
...and people wonder why I think Peter King is a moron. Did his kid get fired by the Hawks or is he just being his usual contrarian douche self? Outside of Prisco, never seen a guy that thrives on being wrong all of the time. Oh well, if he insists on being the fool (which starts Thursday) who am I to stop him? Keep fueling the Hawks fire there Petey!

I'll be the first to rip King when it's warranted, but he didn't write this article. Kind of embarrassing to rip him like that when they even have pictures of the author up top. ;)

It's been a while since I've seen that homeristic of a piece written. It's funny how many IF's there are in that article. "If so and so stays healthy, which he's had a problem with" and "IF Julius Peppers reverts back to pre Chicago form" uh yea. Go ahead and hang your hopes for the season on a 34 year old DE switching to a new position for the first time while simultaneously finding the fountain of youth.

GB's defense was 25th ranked last year. Yea, they had some injuries, but I don't see the depth there. The biggest issue they're going to have is that the team that we played 2 years ago stoned our run game, while this year's team loosk to be weak against the run. Neither of their starting CB's are going to cover Harvin very well. They have questions at Safety. Amazingly enough, if you factor Harvin in, their WR corps doesn't really look any better than ours does across the first 4 guys.

If I was a Hawks player, I wouldn't even bother to be disrespected by this piece.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Andy Benoit wrote this, not Peter King. I've read worse from Andy...a LOT worse. His point here is that the Pack will have a resurgent defense. Can't miss on that prediction considering they finished almost dead last in 2013. So he's banking on the team bouncing back from injuries. Considering, as he himself points out, that Green Bay has made the playoffs 5 years in a row, including last season with one of the worst defenses in the league, any improvement at all from the defense makes them a shoe in to go again this year.

What I don't agree with is the premise that their defense will improve that much. Peppers is older and slower and wouldn't make it on Seattle's 53. Their secondary was riddled with injuries and in prior years was a decent secondary, even top 10. but their rush defense has never been anything to brag about even when GB has one of the best defenses in the NFL in 2010. And 2010 might as well be a different team than today. So I think Benoit is guilty of a little bit of nostalgia about the GB defense. Yes, they'll improve, they certainly can't get worse and they probably won't have the same rash of injuries they had before. Yes, Aaron Rodgers is still their QB and even he was injured much of last season and they still made the playoffs. Yes, Green Bay will probably be one of the top 3 teams in the NFC this season. And yes, if everything goes so well that they clinch HFA they should be the favorites in that case to go all the way.

I don't think they will, however, because I think defense wins championships and Green Bays isn't going to go from the bottom of the barrel to elite in one season.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
Problem is they already suffered a huge blow with Raji going down. Plus Peppers is one year older and Mathews has had a trouble staying healthy of late. They better be ready for a slugfest come Thursday.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
It says specifically "if they have to go through Seattle". The funny part is NFL.com just ranked us the 9th toughest place to play so what's the big deal?

We seen this with Kawamiki's prediction also as well as others.

Why would any team or prognosticator fear playing in the 9th toughest stadium? Seems either that 9th is grossly under rated or prognosticators don't see it that way.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Dom Capers has a paper napkin defense that has BLITZ written on it. He still has no idea what a read option is.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1g9vncsm said:
It says specifically "if they have to go through Seattle". The funny part is NFL.com just ranked us the 9th toughest place to play so what's the big deal?

We seen this with Kawamiki's prediction also as well as others.

Why would any team or prognosticator fear playing in the 9th toughest stadium? Seems either that 9th is grossly under rated or prognosticators don't see it that way.
It's called "getting hits" to your website. Thank God I didn't click on the link.

Cartire

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is Green Bay getting some crazy media hype this offseason. Like, they always get hype because theyre green bay. But it just seems pretty weird that a team that was mediocre last year, all of a sudden has this magically amazing team this year before an official snap has taken place.

And its not just this guy saying it. If were not put first in a poll, Green Bay seems to be the consensus pick.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
The author of the article is capitalizing on what many feel and that it's impossible these days to repeat as Super Bowl Champs. San Fran is in a mess and most likely will flounder so why not jump on Green Bay's band wagon? Other than the Eagles there really isn't any NFC team out there that looks like a contender. But the author's reasoning is flawed due to popular misunderstanding LS and PC. There are the so called experts that have learned nothing about the way JS and PC have built and resupplied the Hawks. They just can't wrap their heads around the concept of this team.

StoneCold

Reaction score
There are so many grammar errors and just plain poor writing that it's hard to take anything he says seriously. It reads like an interns first draft. Can['t believe they pay people to do such terrible work.

Sure hope I didn't make any stupid writing errors complaining about stupid writing.

SC

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2ag51khv said:
So how do you plan to spin the fact that he predicted us to make the Super Bowl last year before the start of the season?

kearly

Reaction score
The opening sentence says it all:

If the Pack can earn home-field advantage in the playoffs—meaning they won’t have to play in Seattle—then they’re bound for the Super Bowl

Man those Patriots are the best team in the AFC! If only they can avoid playing at Denver, they'll be in the Super Bowl for sure!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
:lol:

Even before the Raji injury they weren't close to the deepest team in the conference.

That defense has some major holes. Rodgers is amazing, Lacy is scary and they have explosive WR's.. but that defense better learn how to stop people.

The Radish

Reaction score
kearly":3vzp9w03 said:
The opening sentence says it all:

If the Pack can earn home-field advantage in the playoffs—meaning they won’t have to play in Seattle—then they’re bound for the Super Bowl

Man those Patriots are the best team in the AFC! If only they can avoid playing at Denver, they'll be in the Super Bowl for sure!

hahahahaha

:th2thumbs: