"Wilson's Evolution To Elite"

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...n-shows-russell-wilson-ready-for-higher-level

russell-wilson_3.jpg

Preseason shows Russell Wilson ready for higher level

Wilson, whose team will open up its defense of the Super Bowl on Thursday against the Green Bay Packers, has looked much improved this summer, and it has showed in his numbers. He was 33 of 42 for 437 yards, with three touchdowns and no interceptions in the preseason. He also ran for three scores.

But more than the numbers, it's the way he has gotten them. He looked so much more confident in the pocket going through his reads.

One of Wilson's great strengths is throwing on the run outside the pocket -- he's as good anybody doing it -- but inside the pocket, I wasn't as sold on him as others.

This summer, we've seen a quarterback whose offseason work shows a passer who has taken big strides inside the pocket.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hey Prisco, you come to the party later than anyone, we have been saying this two years here on .Net. Gruden said it before the Draft. Oh and you can look off guys and go thru progressions without turning your head and staring down a receiver.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
"The data-heads will say his numbers from 2013 say he was good inside the pocket, but one-read throws and quick slants and things like that can drive that number up."

Quick slants? When did we ever run those on a consistent basis? That's news to me.

Smellyman

Reaction score
As you know by now, I like my quarterbacks sitting in the pocket, making reads, and going through progressions, which is why I am hesitant to rush Wilson up any list of the best.

People's bias are really annoying sometimes.

I think plain ol' pepperoni pizza is the best....it doesn't mean supreme isn't a damn fine pie.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Blitzer88":x8ej8iwj said:
Quick slants? When did we ever run those on a consistent basis? That's news to me.
I think he was just making a generalization on that part, not directed specifically at Wilson. Like, you can't trust the numbers in general because of X, Y, and Z factors.

Also, while it's true one doesn't have to turn their head to make reads, doing so helps look off anybody not close enough to really see where the QB's eyes are looking. It still matters.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Well thank you Pete. We 12's really give a crap that you're finally coming around to what we call the "No Shit" portion of the program.

mikeak

Reaction score
I like the conclusion. To paraphrase -- I want as high on him as others so he must have improved as there is no chance I was wrong...

kearly

Reaction score
If you read down the article he has very high praise for Sweezy and Britt as well.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kearly":333qxofq said:
If you read down the article he has very high praise for Sweezy and Britt as well.
Irrelevant, people would just rather hate on him across the board.

Anthony!

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2xa8vmso said:
Blitzer88":2xa8vmso said:
I think he was just making a generalization on that part, not directed specifically at Wilson. Like, you can't trust the numbers in general because of X, Y, and Z factors.

Also, while it's true one doesn't have to turn their head to make reads, doing so helps look off anybody not close enough to really see where the QB's eyes are looking. It still matters.

Dude Prisco is trying to save face, he never believed in Rw, and now that RW has shown him and others wrong he is finding a way out without looking stupid, Rw has been looking people off, and going to his 2nd and 3rd and even 4th reads for awhile now. In fact RWs numbers inside the pocket was better, and than Luck and were top 10 already, Prisco is a moron who ignore facts unless they prove his point, and now he wants to save face and act like Rw is just now doing something he has been doing since day one.

Hawks46

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3mt8twu6 said:
kearly":3mt8twu6 said:
Irrelevant, people would just rather hate on him across the board.

That happens when this is the first positive article about anything Seahawks this guy has written in the last 8 years or so.

I've seen this guy do dumb stuff like write about how our defense wasn't top 10 before the 2012 season, bag on our defensive depth, etc. He's one of the few guys I honestly believe has something against the Seahawks.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":3erk71s5 said:
Correct. Hey at least he's getting off the hate train that's at least something.

kpak76

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3dc9295a said:
Blitzer88":3dc9295a said:

I know you cant answer this but if your statement is true then how come Petey boy here doesn't apply this same logic to the "elite" of the bunch like Manning (who all he does is throw short quick routes), Brady, Breesus, and ARod? You cant use this type of logic and then not have it apply all the way around. This is the reason why people around the Seattle area think Prisco is a fool, double standards. If he what he says is true, then all QB's are still learning from the pocket, because inside the pocket Wilsons numbers are pretty much equal when you take in consideration of attempts.

Cartire

Reaction score
Roland, why do you feel the need to be a White Knight for Prisco of all people? If ever an "positive" article was being written in the most condescending way possible, this is it.
"The data-heads will say his numbers from 2013 say he was good inside the pocket, but one-read throws and quick slants and things like that can drive that number up."
Did you read this line? Such bologna. One-read throws? No one has ever considered RW a one-read QB. Ever. Except Prisco. Who does not watch any game film. He watches broadcast, and highlights. And goes from there.

The guy is saving face by stating that Russell wasnt good before when Pete said he wasnt. But now is starting to look pretty good, because Pete can no longer keep denying Russell without looking like a fool.

The mere fact that your playing contrarian involving Prisco is disgusting.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
kpak76":aebn5tvg said:
RolandDeschain":aebn5tvg said:
Blitzer88":aebn5tvg said:

I know you cant answer this but if your statement is true then how come Petey boy here doesn't apply this same logic to the "elite" of the bunch like Manning (who all he does is throw short quick routes), Brady, Breesus, and ARod? You cant use this type of logic and then not have it apply all the way around. This is the reason why people around the Seattle area think Prisco is a fool, double standards. If he what he says is true, then all QB's are still learning from the pocket, because inside the pocket Wilsons numbers are pretty much equal when you take in consideration of attempts.

Equal and that is with a worse pass protection and holding the ball longer than any of the so called "Elite" QB's.

If anyone were to challenge him on this he would look completely the fool. Those one read/quick slants are Manning's bread and butter. Denver led the league in YAC last year and when we took that away (brilliant game plan by Pete) Manning and his offense were exposed. He didn't look like an elite QB with the type of pass protection Wilson dealt with all year long. In fact he looked putrid.

If we use Pete's metrics for pocket passing then on an equal grading scale using last years play, Wilson might have already been the best pocket passer in the league.

I am licking my chops for this years schedule. Last year we ran the gauntlet of elite defenses. This year not so much. Outside the NFC west (and even that looks like it may be lass dominant) we play more offensive based teams. With Wilson in year three, Harvin on the field, Unger and Okung healthy and Sweezy and Carp play to their potential we look poised to tear up some opponents that are not really designed to stop our offense.

Going to be real interesting how the NFL views us if we suddenly become a top 5 ( or better) offense. Putting up those video game scores the NFL wants to see and making fantasy players drool. The NFL's focus has been higher scoring as opposed to better defense. We could potentially be the driving factor for high scoring and fantasy stats that seems to be the NFL's emphasis. But will they want to drive parody more than pin ball scores?

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Aros":2gnyclgl said:
Well thank you Pete. We 12's really give a crap that you're finally coming around to what we call the "No Shit" portion of the program.
Where's the rolling on the floor laughing my ass off smiley?

kpak76

Reaction score
RichNhansom":18h7rvlo said:
kpak76":18h7rvlo said:
RolandDeschain":18h7rvlo said:
Blitzer88":18h7rvlo said:

Equal and that is with a worse pass protection and holding the ball longer than any of the so called "Elite" QB's.

If anyone were to challenge him on this he would look completely the fool. Those one read/quick slants are Manning's bread and butter. Denver led the league in YAC last year and when we took that away (brilliant game plan by Pete) Manning and his offense were exposed. He didn't look like an elite QB with the type of pass protection Wilson dealt with all year long. In fact he looked putrid.

If we use Pete's metrics for pocket passing then on an equal grading scale using last years play, Wilson might have already been the best pocket passer in the league.

I am licking my chops for this years schedule. Last year we ran the gauntlet of elite defenses. This year not so much. Outside the NFC west (and even that looks like it may be lass dominant) we play more offensive based teams. With Wilson in year three, Harvin on the field, Unger and Okung healthy and Sweezy and Carp play to their potential we look poised to tear up some opponents that are not really designed to stop our offense.

Going to be real interesting how the NFL views us if we suddenly become a top 5 ( or better) offense. Putting up those video game scores the NFL wants to see and making fantasy players drool. The NFL's focus has been higher scoring as opposed to better defense. We could potentially be the driving factor for high scoring and fantasy stats that seems to be the NFL's emphasis. But will they want to drive parody more than pin ball scores?

I doubt anyone wants to see those types of scores. Especially if those scores tend to be lopsided. There is a reason why this is our only prime time home game. All of our other prime time games are on the road. The Hawks has this nasty habbit of making the other teams look stupid here at the Clink, which means viewers tend to tune out except for those around the PNW. Watching a 30-3 drubbing of the Whiners is epically boring to anyone else but us.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
But how ever can that be? ESPN just ranked us #9 overall for difficult places to play. Surely other teams have felt the wrath of dominating teams at their stadium the way we do ours. That's is why nobody else get's prime time home games right? Right?