Bryan Walters cut...

jake206

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/GoalineFootball/status/505851088499527680[/tweet]

Man, I thought he'd make it. But good to see his agent man up for his client.

springscohawk

Reaction score
Surprised that Phil Bates made team while Bryan Walters was cut.

I thought Walters did a decent job on punt returns and Bates didn't do much overall.

So does this mean Earl Thomas is actually the punt returner?

MB12

Reaction score
springscohawk":122v9jdk said:

I thought Walters did a decent job on punt returns and Bates didn't do much overall.
:13:

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
springscohawk":l1eru68l said:

So does this mean Earl Thomas is actually the punt returner?
Unfortunately, yes.

Mick063

Reaction score
I give a ton of credit to Walters for being fearless. Having said that, Seattle needs a guy with a large catch radius (Bates) if Kearse gets knicked. Bates took Rice's spot in my opinion. Lockette is the kick coverage guy which could have come from several positions so keeping seven WR isn't really that big of a deal.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Walters is a good guy but has never looked like an NFL wr to me.

On the brightside, as a Kirkland native I think he will essentially be "on call" for the Hawks this season. If we suffer injuries we have a WR who knows the playbook and is a 30 minute drive away from the VMAC.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Phil Bates is a bigger stronger receiver with quarterback aptitude. Did we keep him because we needed a more physical receiver as well as an emergency qb? The guy is likely a versatile role player right?

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Congratulations to Phil Bates for earning a roster spot. He worked his tail off to give himself a shot to make it. I wondered why we saw so much Bryan Walters in the Raiders game. Perhaps the Hawks were trying to showcase him to other teams knowing he wouldn't make the team. I guess we'll never know for certain, but that wouldn't be surprising to find out.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I liked the fire in this kid but he played like an accident waiting to happen. Whether injury or turn over, I found myself holding my breath every time he touched the ball. But to be fair, he was auditioning and playing balls out, thus (imo) disallowing him the luxury of letting the game come to him. Heckuva an athlete and I doubt his days of football are behind him. Whether in this league or another, I'm sure he's not caught his last ball in the world of professional football. I wish him well.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
FlyingGreg":cis62qvi said:
Don't get too attached to Bates. I think once Norwood is healthy, they will release him. Keeping 7 WRs seems a little gluttonous.
This. I think if we end up with substantial injuries, IMO Bates will be the first to be cut to sign depth. Was surprised about keeping 7 receivers. Might just simply be a dearth of talent at the position while we weren't as high on other groups (CBs or LBs). Might also be WR depth until Norwood either goes active or IR.

Russ Willstrong":cis62qvi said:
Phil Bates is a bigger stronger receiver with quarterback aptitude. Did we keep him because we needed a more physical receiver as well as an emergency qb? The guy is likely a versatile role player right?

Kam's the Emergency QB.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":2vv0kue1 said:
Walters is a good guy but has never looked like an NFL wr to me.

On the brightside, as a Kirkland native I think he will essentially be "on call" for the Hawks this season. If we suffer injuries we have a WR who knows the playbook and is a 30 minute drive away from the VMAC.

How is that a bright note when you just said he's not an NFL WR?