Heath Farwell likely to get surgery.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/503985114536484864[/tweet]

I thought Farwell was pretty beastly against the Bears. Flashed in goal line D, coverage and even as a blitzer. I felt like he definitely made a case for himself to stay on another year. Tough break, but this gives Coyle a real opportunity. Hopefully, Farwell can stick with the team on IR or PUP or maybe even return later if we get thin at LB.

drdiags

Reaction score
I guess they could IR him with the possibility of return. I think you are limited in the number of this type of designation, so do you use it on Heath or keep it in your back pocket for some 1st unit starter that may have a serious ding but could come back late in the year to help you?

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Ah, right. I'm guessing IR then, unless they terminate his contract with the hope of bringing him back later.

They'd definitely save their IR w/ return designation for an impact starter.

Basis4day

Reaction score
drdiags":38xw496k said:
I guess they could IR him with the possibility of return. I think you are limited in the number of this type of designation, so do you use it on Heath or keep it in your back pocket for some 1st unit starter that may have a serious ding but could come back late in the year to help you?

You can use it on one player per year. I don't think he'll get it. They'll save it for a starter.

endzorn

Reaction score
His head was on the chopping block. If he gets placed on IR then he gets paid so financially this might not be a bad thing. I don't know if Seattle can reach an injury settlement for a much lower number or not.

Basis4day

Reaction score
If he out for a significant amount of time i don't see them carrying him as a healthy scratch. By his own admission he hates playing on Defense and has one year on his contract left. Hes a special teams ace.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I doubt they'll even try to reach injury settlement because they love him so much.

Besides he will still be able to be around the team, still able to attend meetings, be at practice, which means he'll be able to mentor Croyle and KPL and all the younger guys that happen to find themselves on ST. It helps the Seahawks, and it helps him open the door for a coaching career which our own ST coach Brian Schnieder said Farwell would excel at or something like that.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Man.......this stinks Farewell was a beast on special teams and a great leader on this team in general. Hope Coyle can fill his shoes for us.

chris98251

Reaction score
This may open the door for Toomer, wasn't sure he was going to make it, Coyle I think was a Lock.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
chris98251":121l0kw5 said:
This may open the door for Toomer, wasn't sure he was going to make it, Coyle I think was a Lock.

Maybe. I had 7 LBs making the team even before Farwell's injury.

Wagner
Wright
Irvin
Smith
Morgan
Coyle
Pierre-Louis

Toomer is likely competing with Morgan and KPL. KPL has been unspectacular but solid (his upside is tremendous in a Malcolm Smith WLB type way). Morgan, not many fans see his value, but the coaches love his versatility and I think it was Carroll that said he was one of the better STers on the team.

Toomer is still relatively unknown, with an already injury riddled career, there's a great chance he'll clear waivers, and be put on the PS. Only team I can see make a run at him is JAX but I'm sure there'll be experienced LBs on the market that would make much more sense than taking a flyer on an LB that has proven absolutely nothing in his 3 yr career.

chris98251

Reaction score
Toomer was getting lots of accolades at the start of camp coming back from his last injury, Bradley knows him and you can't coach speed which he has a lot of. Speed is what makes this defense so formidable, poaching a speed backer that has the system down would be a gimme if I am Bradley.

kearly

Reaction score
If they think he'll be back in a couple months, the best move would be to release him with an injury settlement, then get him back when he's healthy. It would be surprising if another team scooped up an injured backup LB who hasn't built up equity with them.

Not to sound like a cold-hearted bastard, but even with Farwell's quality play you wonder if Seattle had him targeted as a cap casualty to scrape some savings into next years cap number. Unfortunately, IR and injury settlements count against the cap, so there's a decent chunk of money that Seattle won't be able to roll into next year's cap.

JS is a classy GM, but I've heard a lot of stories of not-so-classy GMs who blew up on players and their agents for getting injured this time of year and costing them cap space. Just one of the reasons I'm so happy to have JS, he has the right kind of attitude when stuff like this happens.

dusktreader

Reaction score
kearly":381qrcl3 said:
If they think he'll be back in a couple months, the best move would be to release him with an injury settlement, then get him back when he's healthy. It would be surprising if another team scooped up an injured backup LB who hasn't built up equity with them.

Is that the same action that they took with MikeRob last year? I don't remember reading about an injury settlement

Basis4day

Reaction score
dusktreader":iisi5nvy said:
kearly":iisi5nvy said:

Is that the same action that they took with MikeRob last year? I don't remember reading about an injury settlement

No. Mike Rob was released after he lost 30 lbs when he had kidney failure due to prescription meds and almost died. It was a non football injury. So little was said about the nature of Robinson's illness that many fans put on the tin foil hats and didn't believe he was even sick and it was the team trying to save face.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
kearly":207w08qa said:
This would definitely be the best plan if it's a non season-ending injury, esp. since Farwell wasn't likely to make the team even before the injury. The settlement would save them some money and cap space by not having to pay him the full amount of his $1.5M salary if he went on I.R., and they'd have the ability to re-sign him later in the season if injuries befell the LB corps. And they wouldn't have to worry about him getting scooped up while injured because vested veterans like Farwell are not exposed to waivers. So if he ever singed elsewhere it would be because he chose to, not because he was claimed on waivers.

253hawk

Reaction score
Bummer. Who's going to run out of the tunnel with the flag now?

Mick063

Reaction score
If Seattle were to trade a player, linebacker would be the position.

Cowboys, Cardinals, and Bears need linebacker depth.