Avril looking to have a Great Year

kidhawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2mlty94y said:
I need to see more from Avril then just a bull rush. He's not an elite rusher but just "pretty good".

One thing he is definitely ELITE at, is stripping the ball. I don't recall the exact statistics so I won't try to quote them, but I remember hearing how he was one of (if not the top) ball stripper over the period of time he's been in the league.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
kidhawk":39sfk65z said:
Tech Worlds":39sfk65z said:
I need to see more from Avril then just a bull rush. He's not an elite rusher but just "pretty good".

One thing he is definitely ELITE at, is stripping the ball. I don't recall the exact statistics so I won't try to quote them, but I remember hearing how he was one of (if not the top) ball stripper over the period of time he's been in the league.
Correct. He's very adept at that.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think he was very underrated last year. He gets great lean off of the edge, is lightning quick off the ball, and has a good bull rush.

If he has a great year, which he should, we won't be able to afford him.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":2ub9v2a7 said:
I think he was very underrated last year. He gets great lean off of the edge, is lightning quick off the ball, and has a good bull rush.

If he has a great year, which he should, we won't be able to afford him.

There's still an outside shot that he gets re-signed before the season starts, although I don't know if that's a part of "the plan" or not

Tical21

Reaction score
Agreed. I'm surprised they didn't get an extension done already. I think if he's not signed soon, he's not coming back. He has looked pretty electric so far during the preseason. Losing him and Clemons in a span of two years could be pretty ginormous.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Cliff "The Sickle" Avril is going to be ALL IN this year.

He's definately a top 20 pure pass-rusher in the NFL and arguably entering the top 10 conversation.

I don't think he'll sign an extension because he signed with the Seahawks to put himself into a position to get a monster contract after 2014.

I also think if he gets more than 10+ sacks it will put the Seahawks out of his price range, unless he wanted to follow suit and sign a Bennett level contract but judging on his past Avril will be looking for a $10-12 apy while the Seahawks will be looking for a 7-9m apy deal.

Its unfortuante because I really liked Avril and thought he was going to be awesome here when we signed him but to be optimistic he's going to be a sure fire 3rd Round comp pick.

Thats why also expect the Seahawks to keep most of their pass rush prospects like OBS, Mayowa, Irvin, and Morgan close to the team and expect all to make the 53 man roster. Jeffcoat is also a strong PS candidate as well.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":228aubyi said:

He's a speed rusher that blows past tackles. Which makes his bull rush even more impressive.

kearly

Reaction score
Since Seattle budgets their financial "model" years in advance, it only makes sense that they have so frequently extended players early. It's also quite telling when they don't extend a player.

Last Spring the Hawks treated Bennett like the team's top priority, and they retained him at a fair price. But if Chicago had offered Bennett just a little more, I think Seattle moves on. I think it will be the same thing for Avril. The Hawks would like him back but are willing to test the market.

Perfundle

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3vcirown said:
Just being "pretty good" at rushing plus being elite at strip sacks provides the same value as an elite rusher without strip-sack skills. The number of fumble-6 chances he generated last year was phenomenal, and turnovers are far more useful than mere pressure or normal sacks. Most players can't maintain that level of consistency of being able to strip the ball, but Avril apparently can.

kearly

Reaction score
Smellyman":20ycuzxb said:
Tech Worlds":20ycuzxb said:

He's a speed rusher that blows past tackles. Which makes his bull rush even more impressive.

Was gonna say the same thing. Avril is basically Clemons minus the awesome inside spin move.

As others have said, Avril's history of strip sacks ups his value to Seattle considerably.

If Seattle lets Avril go they better have a smart plan to replace him. I don't see his successor on the current roster.

Tical21

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how he does in an expanded role. He tended to vanish quite often in Detroit, and I think using him as a situational player brought out the very best in him. He was a different player last year. Whether or not he improved as a player or was more motivated should be apparent this year. The bad news is that it is a contract year and he is probably gone after the season. The good news is that it is a contract year and he is probably wanting to get paid after the season.

Greenhell

Reaction score
kearly":2khngqln said:
Smellyman":2khngqln said:
Tech Worlds":2khngqln said:

Was gonna say the same thing. Avril is basically Clemons minus the awesome inside spin move.

As others have said, Avril's history of strip sacks ups his value to Seattle considerably.

If Seattle lets Avril go they better have a smart plan to replace him. I don't see his successor on the current roster.

Ill take the strip skill of Avril over a Clamons spin move all day.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Greenhell":6cfgznev said:
kearly":6cfgznev said:
Smellyman":6cfgznev said:
Tech Worlds":6cfgznev said:

Ill take the strip skill of Avril over a Clamons spin move all day.
I understand your love for Avril. He's a good player. But let's not diminish how well Chris Clemmons played for us over the years. For several years he was the only one an offense even had to worry about when it came to a pass rush.

Avril never has been in that situation.

Reaction score
Bottom line with Avril is that he is a game changer, he makes big time plays consistently and he always shows up in the biggest games. One of JS best signings as GM.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
valleyflyfisher":1rko63p6 said:
Bottom line with Avril is that he is a game changer, he makes big time plays consistently and he always shows up in the biggest games. One of JS best signings as GM.

he went HUGE in the playoffs. hope we can extend him

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2i3j889h said:
kidhawk":2i3j889h said:
Tech Worlds":2i3j889h said:

Correct. He's very adept at that.

In addition to his amazing instincts and ability to strip away the football, Avril is also the fastest defensive linemen off the ball that I have ever seen in Seahawks history. Speed off the line is critical to Carroll's defensive scheme, and Avril's blazing speed off the line sets the tone for the rest of the defense. Pay close attention to this during tomorrow's game.

Avril runs a 1.50 10-yard split. To put this in perspective, Clemons ran a 1.72. Wright runs a 1.65. Smith runs a 1.61. Chancellor runs a 1.60. Thomas and Sherman run a 1.56. Baldwin runs a 1.54. At 6'3, 260 lbs, Avril is simply a freak of nature who explodes off the line of scrimmage as though he had been shot out of a cannon.

Because of this rare initial burst, Avril's greatest weapon is his speed rush and swim move around the outside, not the bull rush. But he also has to worry about keeping containment, holding his gap and securing the edge, and not overrunning the play to the outside. This is why at times it appears he is engaging too much with his blocker.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
chris98251":1gv5ge75 said:
Sinclair was pretty damn quick and fast off the ball.

I love Sinclair and Green, but they would not have been close to Avril's 1.5 10-yard split.

Latest posts