NFL Admits screwing Simon out of pick 6 against San Diego

lsheldon

Reaction score
http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... 6/17076827

Richard Sherman told Simon that he made a great play. Pete Carroll thought it was a “perfectly executed two-hand jam.” Basically everybody but the officials tasked with supervising the game knew that it was a legitimate pick six, but Simon was robbed anyway.

Now the NFL is admitting as much. According to Terry Blount of ESPN, Carroll submitted the play for review and the league knows they made a mistake:

So that’s something, but if the pick came during a regular season game that wasn’t a blowout this might have come quite a controversy.

Thus far this preseason the NFL referees have gone overboard in their emphasis on cracking down on illegal contact and defensive holding – too many games have been brought to a stand-still by a rain of yellow flags. It has hurt the product on the field and Seahawks fans aren’t the only ones who have noticed. Coaches around the league have been upset by the over-regulation.

suppaball

Reaction score
Well good glad they admitted they're screw up. Let's not see it happen in a game that counts.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I'm not overly surprised. I'm actually more surprised that they said anything about it at all.

The way I look at these pre season rash of penalties, is that the league tells referees to focus on a particular group of penalties, so in the pre season you see officials call anything even close to what would construe those particular penalties. Then after each game and/or at the end of the pre season, the officials go over the plays and discuss exactly how the play should be called.

As long as the officiating gets back on track during the regular season as it historically seems to do, then I have no problem with it.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Was on the chargers forum and remember quite a few people saying that it was deserved and the right call lol.

McG

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":smnj6dyu said:
Was on the chargers forum and remember quite a few people saying that it was deserved and the right call lol.

Yeah, okay lets recap. You were on a Chargers message board, a team that isn't exactly known for having a great fan base. Also, most fans on a message board are usually "die-hard, homers". It's not shocking (see what I did there) that the Chargers message board thought that play was a good call. I'm sure they also thought that we were playing too hard, got lucky, were on PEDs, that we pumped noise in, punched the players wives and stole their playbooks.

BTW this is not an attack at you, it's just funny to read some of these delusional fans and their posts.

pmedic920

Reaction score
My greatest fear in regards to this, is that crap happening when it counts.
I have hope the this will cause them to lighten up, if just a touch.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Its nice that they know it was a mistake, but these refs are taking directions from the league office so unless Goodell tells them to back off a bit then these are the kind of calls that will be made during the season.

Either he tells them to keep throwing the flags or he tells them to back off. Either way it causes problems for all the teams trying to follow the rules.

MB12

Reaction score
"@SI_PeterKing: Pete Carroll appealed to me stridently today about giving officials some common sense about some of the ticky-tack calls this summer."

nanomoz

Reaction score
Very pleased to be wrong. I hope calls like this don't continue.

zhawk

Reaction score
Well, I'm grateful for their capitulation, but it changes nothing.

mikeak

Reaction score
This changes things in regards to refs being on notice that they can't just call PI when in doubt. They actually have to see something.

My issue with the call is the ref that called it was behind the players and couldn't see what was going on with their hands. Yet he is allowed to make the call. Something wrong about that the way the players faces.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Too little too late and changes nothing. Just watch tonight's powder puff travesty. If this doesn't change I'm fully prepared to do exactly what I did for baseball after the year long strike. Stop watching on television or spending a dime on it. Given it seems the only thing the NFL understands is money then hit them were they hurt if it comes to that.

Smellyman

Reaction score
zhawk":1j6veqyr said:
Well, I'm grateful for their capitulation, but it changes nothing.

it's preseason so doesn't matter. Bet it just further illustrates to the NFL how dumb they are being and hopefully don't see this crap in the regular season.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Relax everybody, this is just preseason. It's not like the NFL screwed the pooch on a couple of TD calls which were just enough to get a team a win for the last wild card spot while they went on to win the Super Bowl that year; imagine if that came at the expense of our team.

...Well, we could ask Vikings fans how it feels. (There were two other 10-6 NFC teams that year that missed the playoffs behind the 10-6 eventual world champion Packers. Talk about bitter; how would we feel if the NFL admitted kicking a 49ers-Seahawks game that was the only thing that got the 49ers into the playoffs, and they went on to win the Lombardi that season? And the whiny Green Bay fans have the gall to complain about Fail Mary; HA!)

Seafan

Reaction score
Pete said on his weekly show that the flag on Adams was also a mistake and the league admitted it. 20 flags in the Saints game. Pete is right, that's unwatchable. The Coaches really screwed the pooch on this one.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Simon was "screwed" out of his INT/TD? Now it will never show up in his stats!

idahohawk

Reaction score
This is simple. Simon gets more cred & a confidence boost. Refs get a clear message sent, that they over-interpreted the emphasis on this crap and completely blew a call. Win/Win. End of story.

kearly

Reaction score
So far in the 2014 preseason penalties are up 10 flags per game from the 2013 preseason. That's not just Seahawks games, that's every game. And last preseason had a ton of penalties.

The longer extra point also resulted in 8 misses in just 30 games, more than all the missed extra points a year ago in 256 games. The longer extra point being missed was also the deciding factor in 1 game out of a 30 preseason game sample. I bring this up because just today the NFL announced that long extra points are going away starting next week. They tried it out, saw the results, and realized it was a bad idea.

I think we might see something similar here with the legion of boom rule. I don't think ANYONE expected results quite this extreme, we very well might see the NFL back off somewhat after they realize how much it's hurting the game. Even Mike Perriera thinks it's a bad idea. When even Mike Perriera thinks officiating has gone too far, it's gone too far.